What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 1 (1 Viewer)

JShare87

Footballguy
I know it's early for this thread, just wanted to get some early thoughts on pricing. Fanduel just posted some huge tournaments for week 1. Looking forward to hearing from everyone that plays.

I will be posting selections for cash games and GPP's, as part of FootballGuys Pro content, throughout the season...

Week 1 picks will be posted the week of Labor Day--stay tuned!

I would be quite surprised if reload bonuses are offered for either of the 2 'big' sites this year...particularly FanDuel.

They spend a lot of money on player acquisition, but have reported that reload bonuses do very little for player retention...so they've gone away from offering reload bonuses.

If I see anything, I will certainly post something in the Shark Tank.

I would be quite surprised if reload bonuses are offered for either of the 2 'big' sites this year...particularly FanDuel.

They spend a lot of money on player acquisition, but have reported that reload bonuses do very little for player retention...so they've gone away from offering reload bonuses.

If I see anything, I will certainly post something in the Shark Tank.
I'm just waiting for one to load up my account. I probably will anyways (in early Sept), but if I can get free money, thats always good.

I just read the buzzard article on DFS game types. is there a more basic article on DFS to explain the basics and strategy to someone looking to get into it for the first time this year (ie: what is a reload bonus, what are the two big sites (fanduel and ???) etc).

I just read the buzzard article on DFS game types. is there a more basic article on DFS to explain the basics and strategy to someone looking to get into it for the first time this year (ie: what is a reload bonus, what are the two big sites (fanduel and ???) etc).
If you're just getting in, look for a deposit bonus. Usually you'll be able to find something like a $200 bonus on a $200 deposit. They don't add the full bonus to your account, but as you play games it slowly is added to your bankroll. Its essentially free money if you're going to play.

I know FBGs is stepping up its content on the topic this year. If you search the articles, there are already a couple on this specifically. I think I remember a intro type article from last week.

It makes me sad that I will not be able to do fanduel this year. I got an email at the end of last season that fanduel would no longer allow people from the state that I live in to participate anymore. On the plus side, I will not lose 15 to 20 hours per week of my life that was spent on research and screaming at the tv.

Looking back, I got quite lucky to pull out 4k at the end of the season. I started with $200. I hit a few long shots and was all in 2 different weeks. I could have very easily waked away with $0.

Where else do you guys play?

I'm currently looking for other daily fantasy sites that will allow people from the state of Washington to play. Anyone else in the same boat?

Peyton Marino said:
I'm in the last phase of a series of articles that outline daily games including strategy, game types, and bankroll management; I hope to have it as part of Subscriber Pro content near the end of the week. So keep an eye out...

I do not, however, describe reload/deposit bonuses...so I'll do it here: These are bonuses provided by the sites with your deposit (via CC or PayPal). As a 1st-time deposit, you should receive $200 on a $200 deposit, which will be released incrementally as you play...essentially, it reduces the rake (this is how I view it), making you more profitable. Don't make a deposit without getting that bonus...it's 'free' money.

FBG is running a contest on FanDuel for Subscribers only...you can find out more details here: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=709648&hl=fanduel The link to the contest can also be found in that thread.

Lastly, there are a slew of other sites. FootballGuys is partnered with FanDuel, so we'd love for you to try their site...but DraftKings is the other 'big' site at the present time.

Where else do you guys play?

I'm currently looking for other daily fantasy sites that will allow people from the state of Washington to play. Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that FantasyFeud allows people from Washington to play $$ games on their site; check it out and report back...would be good to get confirmation either way.

John Lee said:
I'm sure their metrics bear this out, but they may lose me over not having a reload bonus. I played at Fan Duel for the first time last year and withdrew all my $ at the end of football season. So now I'm left with these options for the upcoming NFL season:

1. Reload at Fan Duel with no bonus
  2. Have my "wife" play at Fan Duel
  3. Get the initial deposit bonus at DraftKings (or some other site)
:shrug:

John Lee said:
I'm sure their metrics bear this out, but they may lose me over not having a reload bonus. I played at Fan Duel for the first time last year and withdrew all my $ at the end of football season. So now I'm left with these options for the upcoming NFL season:

1. Reload at Fan Duel with no bonus
  2. Have my "wife" play at Fan Duel
  3. Get the initial deposit bonus at DraftKings (or some other site)
:shrug:
I'm not here to defend their rationale for not offering reload bonuses, as I have no horse in that race...

I can only tell you what I, as a guy who basically lives in the industry, have seen: no major site offers a reload bonus these days.

Multi-accounting is against the site rules and can result in them keeping any monies that were 'won' on that account (including deposit bonuses); I know that they monitor this kind of thing through personal communications with some of their higher level employees.

DraftKings has a nice site and I play there often...I wouldn't blame you for trying them out. ...but they don't routinely offer reload bonuses either, so you'll be back to where you started before long.

Still holding out for a reload bonus. I'll give up next week I guess.
As mentioned above, DraftKings does an initial deposit bonus of 100% up to $600 (compare to FanDuel which is 100% up to $200). Both of course apply only for initial deposits.

There are a few other tweaks with DK - full PPR for all positions, extra Flex spot, and no kicker. I'm thinking that with the extra starter and without the kicker, it may be easier to reduce random variance aka luck associated with guessing which $5000 Kicker is going to get you 13 points and which will get you 3 points. They also seem to offer slightly better GPP odds.

A few negatives as compared to FanDuel - the interface is a bit more myspacey, less googley.

I think I will switch over to DK as my main Daily site this year, but will probably do $100 or so on FanDuel just because I think it has the biggest market share and the most games.

Still holding out for a reload bonus. I'll give up next week I guess.
As mentioned above, DraftKings does an initial deposit bonus of 100% up to $600 (compare to FanDuel which is 100% up to $200). Both of course apply only for initial deposits.

There are a few other tweaks with DK - full PPR for all positions, extra Flex spot, and no kicker. I'm thinking that with the extra starter and without the kicker, it may be easier to reduce random variance aka luck associated with guessing which $5000 Kicker is going to get you 13 points and which will get you 3 points. They also seem to offer slightly better GPP odds.

A few negatives as compared to FanDuel - the interface is a bit more myspacey, less googley.

I think I will switch over to DK as my main Daily site this year, but will probably do $100 or so on FanDuel just because I think it has the biggest market share and the most games.
I'm not in a hurry to leave Fanduel as I tripled my money there last year. I want to swim with the guppies imo, and thats the place for it.

I hear you, but the merger between DraftKings (#2 in market share) and DraftStreet (#3 in market share) means the gap from FanDuel (#1 in market share) is diminishing. If the combined market DK and DS is approximately equal to FD, it may be that the number of guppies is evening out, too.

In any case, if you could triple up on FD, but could only double up on DK, you would get an extra 100% from the deposit bonus, making each one 3x. So, the question becomes: can you beat the guppies on FD by more than you'd beat the competition on DK when accounting for the $600 deposit bonus?

I hear you, but the merger between DraftKings (#2 in market share) and DraftStreet (#3 in market share) means the gap from FanDuel (#1 in market share) is diminishing. If the combined market DK and DS is approximately equal to FD, it may be that the number of guppies is evening out, too.

In any case, if you could triple up on FD, but could only double up on DK, you would get an extra 100% from the deposit bonus, making each one 3x. So, the question becomes: can you beat the guppies on FD by more than you'd beat the competition on DK when accounting for the $600 deposit bonus?
I may add them in later, but I only have so much free time on the weekends (2 young kids imo)

Do any of the staff projection options have the fanduel scoring system?
in season they match Dodds projections with fanduels scoring and the players dollar cost.
Thanks Hulk. I'm jumping into Fanduel this year so you sharks will have another fish! I tweaked Dodds current projections, setup a profile to fanduel strategies, pulled current salaries off of the FD website and simulated some different strategies. I think I got pretty consistent results but almost every simulation I ran had me using the top Def and Kicker. That led me to believe that I may have set up something incorrect in my scoring profile causing me to overvalue kickers and defenses. Long-winded way to say I'm glad to know that the in-season projections will have the scoring and salaries. It should make setting up my weekly spreadsheet much easier.

Anyone have thoughts on how to best plan kickers and defenses? I'm thinking I'll endup filling in my best Offensive lineup and then just plugging in whatever is left with K/Def?

Do any of the staff projection options have the fanduel scoring system?
in season they match Dodds projections with fanduels scoring and the players dollar cost.
Thanks Hulk. I'm jumping into Fanduel this year so you sharks will have another fish! I tweaked Dodds current projections, setup a profile to fanduel strategies, pulled current salaries off of the FD website and simulated some different strategies. I think I got pretty consistent results but almost every simulation I ran had me using the top Def and Kicker. That led me to believe that I may have set up something incorrect in my scoring profile causing me to overvalue kickers and defenses. Long-winded way to say I'm glad to know that the in-season projections will have the scoring and salaries. It should make setting up my weekly spreadsheet much easier.

Anyone have thoughts on how to best plan kickers and defenses? I'm thinking I'll endup filling in my best Offensive lineup and then just plugging in whatever is left with K/Def?
Ds will be kinda hard to predict for a couple of weeks... but then it will become obvious. Last year it was as simple as playing whoever was playing the Jags.

Kickers, I always find the cheapest I can that is on a team Vegas thinks will score a bunch.

Welp, loaded funds and built 3 similar line ups. 1 GPP and 2 cash lineups. Lots in common between them though.

Shaun Hill everywhere IMO

FD is advertising on TV during football games now. Hard to imagine that's not where most of the guppies will be.

Geno Smith has a pretty juicy matchup against the Raiders coming cross country. It's risky, but Geno had some big games last year including a nice game against them last year.

Hill is just 5k, at home, against the Vikes mediocre pass d. His floor should be 15 points which is great for 5k. Ceiling should be 25 or so, wig would be an epic return on investment. I can't justify any other QB with him so cheap.

Hill is just 5k, at home, against the Vikes mediocre pass d. His floor should be 15 points which is great for 5k. Ceiling should be 25 or so, wig would be an epic return on investment. I can't justify any other QB with him so cheap.
What's the price on Geno?

I have Hill everywhere myself, however I don't think his floor is 15 on Fanduel, closer to 10 IMO. Even at 10 it is still great value.

I have Hill everywhere myself, however I don't think his floor is 15 on Fanduel, closer to 10 IMO. Even at 10 it is still great value.
2 points for every thousand spent wins like 95% of 50/50s.15 is like 200 passing, 1 TD, and one 10 yard scramble. I'd be shocked to not see that met at home against the Vikes

Now that Carr has been announced a starter he is a cheap option facing very poor CBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

FD is advertising on TV during football games now. Hard to imagine that's not where most of the guppies will be.
Agreed I saw that bootleg commercial too, I think during college football. Gonna have to do both.... that FD guppie action plus the DK bonus action.

Going light week one due to vacation and traveling red eye Sat to Sun...but I'll dabble a little with Thursday starts. Ready to roll week 2!

I'll be playing, but think Fanduel either needs to lower their rake or offer a better reward system. If they did, I would greatly increase my volume. Their margins are much higher than poker sites I used to play at.

Any thoughts on the Thursday game?

Seems like a nice matchup, could be an interesting game... but the Seattle D makes me want to avoid Lacy, Nelson, and Rodgers. Cobb could rack up some receptions if the outside corners are too strong and he's the outlet without a reliable TE. He's fairly expensive tho. The Seattle stadium will be rocking....other than Lynch who looks to be a decent value for top 5 RB, this might be the game with the most "prime time" entrants who just want to watch their guys on TV. Seems like more reason to fade.

Btw, does FanDuel no longer carry the "Sunday only" "1pm" etc. varieties?

Any thoughts on the Thursday game?

Seems like a nice matchup, could be an interesting game... but the Seattle D makes me want to avoid Lacy, Nelson, and Rodgers. Cobb could rack up some receptions if the outside corners are too strong and he's the outlet without a reliable TE. He's fairly expensive tho. The Seattle stadium will be rocking....other than Lynch who looks to be a decent value for top 5 RB, this might be the game with the most "prime time" entrants who just want to watch their guys on TV. Seems like more reason to fade.

Btw, does FanDuel no longer carry the "Sunday only" "1pm" etc. varieties?
I'm not sure, but I hope they add them back. I really like doing the early and late afternoon matchups for quicker results.

I didn't really play much at DraftKings last year, but logging in so I could deposit for the Vegas viewing party with the FFWC, I noticed they don't require a kicker, so for those of you who hate the kicker, this is a great thing for you.

Anyone know if it has always been like this with no kicker?

I have always thought daily fantasy sites are way more of a crap shoot because of the kicker. The difference in just one field goal can be the difference between hundreds if you are playing in a big tourney. Most of the time kickers are completely unpredictable. Obviously, it is less important for the head to head and double ups.

I'll be playing, but think Fanduel either needs to lower their rake or offer a better reward system. If they did, I would greatly increase my volume. Their margins are much higher than poker sites I used to play at.
Their margins are pretty thin, if you ask me (& I recognize that you didn't)...

FanDuel has publicly released their numbers and their overall margin [(entry fees-prizes)/entry fees] is 9%:

• Credit Card Processing fees: 3.0-3.5% (PayPal is ~ 2.5%)
  • Affiliates/Referrals: 3.0% (not all players are 'referred,' so this is probably closer to 1.5-2.0%)
  • Deposit bonuses/freerolls: 1.0%
  • Stats, Inc. data feed: ??%
  • Advertising campaigns: ??%
  • 100 full-time employees: ??%
Even with conservative estimates, it would seem that FanDuel is making between 1.0% and 1.5% of the 9% rake...which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Regarding player reward systems, both DraftStreet and StarStreet had the very best reward systems on the planet & both of them were having problems getting people to their site (which led to their eventual acquisition by DraftKings), so it would appear that player rewards are not a strong incentive to increase play on a given site.

I didn't really play much at DraftKings last year, but logging in so I could deposit for the Vegas viewing party with the FFWC, I noticed they don't require a kicker, so for those of you who hate the kicker, this is a great thing for you.

Anyone know if it has always been like this with no kicker?

I have always thought daily fantasy sites are way more of a crap shoot because of the kicker. The difference in just one field goal can be the difference between hundreds if you are playing in a big tourney. Most of the time kickers are completely unpredictable. Obviously, it is less important for the head to head and double ups.
DraftKings had a kicker before 2014...

They surveyed their player base and found out that most (for the reasons you describe) wanted the get rid of the kicker requirement...and they listened! They also added an additional WR position which, when combined with the removal of kicker, should really give an advantage to the stronger daily players.

Really like Draftkings eliminating the kicker as that is by far the position where luck plays the biggest factor on a weekly basis.

Users who are viewing this thread