What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Staff Mock Draft 8/26 (1 Viewer)

So I had no reaches, huh? Great!
Bennett's a little overhyped right now, I didn't really like Jimmy Smith in the 5th, and I can't picture a scenario where you'd want to start Emmitt Smith in a start 2 RB league, but other than that I thought it was a very good draft. I can see myself taking the same guys with a lot of the same picks.
With what was gone, I thought JSmith as my first WR2 was great value. I also saw little at RB I liked better than Bennett for my RB2 (which I was committed to taking, and esp. w/OSmith out for the first 4 games, thus allowing Bennett to get entrenched as the starter) - it was either him or Dillon and I think that is a toss-up.

P.S. - re: Smith he is an emergency RB4 - in case one of the other guys is on bye and another has had a season ending injury, I am protected.

So I had no reaches, huh?  Great!
Bennett's a little overhyped right now, I didn't really like Jimmy Smith in the 5th, and I can't picture a scenario where you'd want to start Emmitt Smith in a start 2 RB league, but other than that I thought it was a very good draft. I can see myself taking the same guys with a lot of the same picks.
With what was gone, I thought JSmith as my first WR2 was great value. I also saw little at RB I liked better than Bennett for my RB2 (which I was committed to taking, and esp. w/OSmith out for the first 4 games, thus allowing Bennett to get entrenched as the starter) - it was either him or Dillon and I think that is a toss-up.
I like Dillon more than Bennett, but I agree with Marc that Jimmy was good value. He's one of the 25 WRs you can count on...you need at least two of those WRs in this format IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know why Corey Dillon--FBG's 12th ranked back-- fell all the way to 18.Henry, Johnson, Westbrook, Barber, Davis, Faulk and even QGriffin are below Dillon but were picked before him.
Because individuals draft and the staff has radically divergent views on players. Believe it or not, Joe and David don't require us to absorb their projections and rankings verbatim.6 spots for Dillon to fall is not ridiculous, though *I* would have selected him ahead of most of those other guys, I can see why he fell in this draft.

I'd like to know why Corey Dillon--FBG's 12th ranked back-- fell all the way to 18.Henry, Johnson, Westbrook, Barber, Davis, Faulk and even QGriffin are below Dillon but were picked before him.
Because individuals draft and the staff has radically divergent views on players. Believe it or not, Joe and David don't require us to absorb their projections and rankings verbatim.6 spots for Dillon to fall is not ridiculous, though *I* would have selected him ahead of most of those other guys, I can see why he fell in this draft.
I took Tiki over him based on the 1 point per reception.One point per reception is not standard FBG scoring, and that changed a number of things.

BF - I value your opinion... please explain your Bennett opinion.You really think Bennett is overhyped at this point? My only concern with him is injury otherwise I'd put him at about 10 RB overall right now. That offense will score a ton of points this year. He is behind probably one of the top two O-lines in the league. He has major upside this year.
Bennett's upside is maybe 8th overall at his position. I can't envision a scenario where he gets enough touches to be among the truly elite backs. A more reasonable, but still somewhat optimistic projection, is that he gets a lot of yards, but not enough TDs to be a top back. He'd be a decent starter, but not a world beater. His downside is much lower. He's coming off a foot injury, is one of at least three replaceable parts in the running game, and, while he'll probably put up his best games while Onterrio Smith is out, he'll likely taper off toward the end of the year when Smith returns. If he gets dinged up at all, he loses his most important asset - his speed - and there's ample reason for Tice to rest him while Moe and Onterrio return. He's got as much, if not more, risk as any of the guys who are being drafted near him, but less upside. To me, 2.5 is as high as he should ever be drafted, and he could slip as low as mid third without being much of a shock. I don't hate the pick, I just think he went a little earlier than he should. Like I said, he's a little overhyped right now. Getting Brown, who's also getting good pub recently, at 3.8 more than makes up for it though.

Another good point - Dillon is not expetced to have a big catch number.At 1pt/rec., Tiki's 60-70 catches = 10+ rush TDs.

There's probably not a lot of receivers I think SHOULD have been taken ahead of him, but I just don't like him. I'd probably have gone with Rod Smith at the same pick, because he has an outside shot of being a WR1, with about the same downside that Jimmy Sniff has.

BF - I value your opinion... please explain your Bennett opinion.You really think Bennett is overhyped at this point? My only concern with him is injury otherwise I'd put him at about 10 RB overall right now. That offense will score a ton of points this year. He is behind probably one of the top two O-lines in the league. He has major upside this year.
Bennett's upside is maybe 8th overall at his position. I can't envision a scenario where he gets enough touches to be among the truly elite backs. A more reasonable, but still somewhat optimistic projection, is that he gets a lot of yards, but not enough TDs to be a top back. He'd be a decent starter, but not a world beater. His downside is much lower. He's coming off a foot injury, is one of at least three replaceable parts in the running game, and, while he'll probably put up his best games while Onterrio Smith is out, he'll likely taper off toward the end of the year when Smith returns. If he gets dinged up at all, he loses his most important asset - his speed - and there's ample reason for Tice to rest him while Moe and Onterrio return. He's got as much, if not more, risk as any of the guys who are being drafted near him, but less upside. To me, 2.5 is as high as he should ever be drafted, and he could slip as low as mid third without being much of a shock. I don't hate the pick, I just think he went a little earlier than he should. Like I said, he's a little overhyped right now. Getting Brown, who's also getting good pub recently, at 3.8 more than makes up for it though.
You are echoing my things I list on ther "negative" side of his sheet. I was simply not in love with any of the other choices, including Dillon, and I thought, as I selected him, "reach" - but once Holt was gone, there was no other coinsideration for me except RB2. I had Bennett over Dillon, Faulk, Henry, and Tiki as I believe he will get a lot of 100 yard games with Minnesota, and I see at least 10 TDs. As you mentioned - none of the other options have upside above RB8, either.On my sheets, I project Bennett above all of the backs mentioned except Faulk (in a pt/rec), but I don't like the injury and OL risk that Faulk currently brings - Faulk also requires a handcuff of SJax, which I was not willing to do.

QB:Brady, Tom NEP QB - 3 7.11Palmer, Carson CIN QB - 5 9.11RB:Bettis, Jerome PIT RB - 7 8.02Dayne, Ron NYG RB - 6 11.11Hollings, Tony HOU RB - 7 13.11Staley, Duce PIT RB - 7 3.11Westbrook, Brian PHI RB - 5 2.02Zereoue, Amos OAK RB - 10 16.02WR:Burress, Plaxico PIT WR - 7 6.02Evans, Lee BUF WR - 3 14.02Harrison, Marvin IND WR - 6 1.11Jackson, Darrell SEA WR - 4 4.02Price, Peerless ATL WR - 9 5.11TE:Witten, Jason DAL TE - 4 12.02PK:Vanderjagt, Mike IND PK - 6 10.02DEF:Chiefs, Kansas City KCC Def - 5 15.11Not a great team, but not bad. Drafting at 11 with this group pretty much meant taking a WR in round 1, which at 1 pt./rec. isn't necessarily a bad thing. I took Harrison over Moss because I think he will be able to feast on defenses with the new contact rules, plus he should catch a ton of balls.I agree with JoeT -- Witten was a reach in the 12th, but he was the last TE on the board that I liked. They flew off the board in the mid-rounds a lot faster than I expected. If Shick! hadn't snatched Todd Heap away from me just prior to my 5.11, I would have been really pumped about this team.The RBs are a little on the soft side, but both of the top dogs should catch a lot of passes, so I think that will make up for it. Handcuffed Duce with Bettis, then waited until fairly late to buy up a few tickets to the RB lottery.WRs I'm extremely happy with. Harrison & Jackson are every-week starters and the better/hotter of Plaxico or Price would be the #3. Good depth and no bye-week problems.QBs are OK, not spectacular, but not expensive, either. Both of these guys have decent upside, with Brady benefitting from an improved running game and Palmer inheriting a good WR trio on an up-and-coming offense.Overall, I give this team a 'B' -- a team that could do extremely well but will only go as far as the lineup selection is good.

In reviewing the teams I thought Shick, ffweasel & Henry did very well. Good balance in these teams with some depth at RB. ffweasel is strong at RB & WR. Shick looks solid at RB, WR, QB & TE. He found some excellent value in his late WR picks with Morgan & Hilliard. Hiiliard, when healty, has produced solid WR2/3 numbers in NY. Henry has very nice balance and this team could compete for a championship.All in all, nice draft. Not too many surprises when a 12 sharks draft. Thanks for the look guys.

Hey Aaron,I just found out that I will be drafting at 12 in an IDP draft next week and was curious to know if you could do it over if you would change anything? IE order you took certain positions etc?I realize that adding IDP's changes the way it roles out but wanted to know what you thought since it will be the first time I draft from this spot.Thanks..
main problem was that the people I was drafting with weren't letting good players slide very often. If I had known I was going to get Duckett at 5.12, I probably would have passed on Garner or Suggs and grabbed another WR at the 4.01 spot.12 hole is my least favorite spot to draft this year, because I think there are 10 legit RB1 candidates with minimal risk. Throw in Moss and those are my top-11. Picking at the 12 spot means there's a good chance you'll miss out on all 11 of them.After the top-10 RBs, I don't really have a strong feeling as to who should be the next RB taken. I went with DDavis, but also gave consideration to Dillon and even Michael Bennett. It's great to start off with 2 RBs, but I couldn't pass on Moss in pt/rec league.And I'm not a Bulger fan, so I probably wouldn't take him in a real league. But, I felt he was good value at that spot in the draft.I don't have too much advice for you. I hate drafting at the ends in a league of sharks because so much talent drops off the boards between your picks and there is nothing you can do about it. As a result, you often have to reach for players because a lot can happen in 22 picks.

I'd like to know why Corey Dillon--FBG's 12th ranked back-- fell all the way to 18.

Henry, Johnson, Westbrook, Barber, Davis, Faulk and even QGriffin are below Dillon but were picked before him.
Taking the latest VBD app and adding 1pt per rec,
1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD/10 400

2 Priest Holmes KC/5 394

3 Deuce McAllister NO/8 352

4 Edgerrin James Ind/6 315

5 Clinton Portis Was/7 313

6 Ahman Green GB/9 310

7 Shaun Alexander Sea/4 301

8 Ricky Williams Mia/10 296 :eek: Why's he still in the 8/25 VBD?

9 Kevan Barlow SF/7 286

10 Jamal Lewis Bal/6 279

11 Marshall Faulk StL/8 274

12 Tiki Barber ................NYG/6 274

13 Fred Taylor Jac/9 265

14 Domanick Davis Hou/7 245

15 Travis Henry Buf/3 243

16 Duce Staley Pit/7 239

17 Curtis Martin NYJ/3 237

18 Corey Dillon NE/3 234
Funny how that works! :D

Henderson Player YTD Pts Bye Drafted -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Culpepper, Daunte MIN QB - 4 3.03 :thumbup: McCown, Josh ARI QB - 6 13.03 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Anderson, Richie DAL RB - 4 10.10 :sleep: Dillon, Corey NEP RB - 3 2.10 :thumbup: Hearst, Garrison DEN RB - 10 12.10 McAllister, Deuce NOS RB - 8 1.03 :thumbup: Williams, Moe MIN RB - 4 7.03 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bradford, Corey HOU WR - 7 14.10 Chambers, Chris MIA WR - 10 5.03 ;) Galloway, Joey TBB WR - 8 8.10 Muhammad, Muhsin CAR WR - 3 9.03 :thumbup: Washington, Kelley CIN WR - 5 15.03 Wayne, Reggie IND WR - 6 6.10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE - 5 4.10 :thumbup: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Elling, Aaron MIN PK - 4 16.10 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Panthers, Carolina CAR Def - 3 11.03 :boxing: Overall: :thumbup:

Looking back I thought the overall player draft position for the players was excellent. For those of you drafting in similar formats this weekend...this should be the best blueprint out there.I think McCardell slid way too far and I would have taken him earlier if I hadn't already drafted Boldin. I thought about taking him immediately after Boldin. I thought Q. Griffin was the biggest reach...but I've been down on Q. so I'll leave that pick at that.I agree with Aaron...you are screwed with the 12 pick if the other 11 are sharks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Green, Trent KCC QB - 5 5.09 Gannon, Rich OAK QB - 10 11.09 It seems that Green is a bit underrated every year. I don't think it matters who is WRs are. With Holmes and Gonzalez on the field, Green will post excellent numbers. In a real league, I would likely take Collins in the 17th or 18th.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Barlow, Kevan SFO RB - 7 1.09 Dunn, Warrick ATL RB - 9 4.04 Foster, De'shaun CAR RB - 3 8.04 Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 10 10.04 Alstott, Mike TBB RB - 8 15.09 Anderson, Mike DEN RB - 10 16.04 Very happy with my starters considering their draft position. Both should catch a decent amount of balls. Not thrilled with my reserve RBs (as you can tell with so many being drafted). Odds are decent that one will be a serviceable fantasy back. Overall though this is a bit of a shaky group.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Holt, Torry STL WR - 8 2.04 Mason, Derrick TEN WR - 9 3.09 Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR - 6 6.04 Rice, Jerry OAK WR - 10 9.09Ferguson, Robert GBP WR - 9 12.04 I'm very high on Holt and Mason, and Fitzgerald will catch a ton of passes by default. Rice is horribly undervalued this year, and Ferguson is somewhat. Excellent group of WRs.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Crumpler, Alge ATL TE - 9 7.09 Brown, Josh SEA PK - 4 13.09 Broncos, Denver DEN Def - 10 14.04 I like this threesome a ton. No reason to get back-ups for any of them. If this were a real league, I would work the waiver wire during the bye weeks.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

main problem was that the people I was drafting with weren't letting good players slide very often. If I had known I was going to get Duckett at 5.12, I probably would have passed on Garner or Suggs and grabbed another WR at the 4.01 spot.

12 hole is my least favorite spot to draft this year, because I think there are 10 legit RB1 candidates with minimal risk. Throw in Moss and those are my top-11. Picking at the 12 spot means there's a good chance you'll miss out on all 11 of them.

After the top-10 RBs, I don't really have a strong feeling as to who should be the next RB taken. I went with DDavis, but also gave consideration to Dillon and even Michael Bennett. It's great to start off with 2 RBs, but I couldn't pass on Moss in pt/rec league.

And I'm not a Bulger fan, so I probably wouldn't take him in a real league. But, I felt he was good value at that spot in the draft.

I don't have too much advice for you. I hate drafting at the ends in a league of sharks because so much talent drops off the boards between your picks and there is nothing you can do about it. As a result, you often have to reach for players because a lot can happen in 22 picks.

Thanks for the input Aaron.

I guess I'll have to make the best of the situation and hope one of the 11 fall to 12, then I may consider taking a top WR. Like you said 22 picks is a long time to wait and who knows what can happen in that time so reaching becomes a problem.

Then throw in a guy like Ray Lewis who will score well in the leagues point system I am in and it complicates everything....

Hey Aaron,main problem was that the people I was drafting with weren't letting good players slide very often. If I had known I was going to get Duckett at 5.12, I probably would have passed on Garner or Suggs and grabbed another WR at the 4.01 spot.

And I'm not a Bulger fan, so I probably wouldn't take him in a real league. But, I felt he was good value at that spot in the draft.
Aaron,

After reading your post I wanted to point out 2 comments you made that got me thinking. Not trying to criticize but I wanted to discuss this.

First on your comment:

If I had known I was going to get Duckett at 5.12, I probably would have passed on Garner or Suggs and grabbed another WR at the 4.01 spot.
. Well, we never know who is going to fall. We either gamble that a player will be there or not. But why not draft who you want? If you want player X and you had targeted that player in this round why not take them then and there? Value is worthless if you don't have the players to win with right? Sounds like a regret you could've avoided.Second comment:

I'm confused by this comment. You are saying that you drafted a player that you would not have drafted if it were for real. Shouldn't every draft, free or pay, be managed the same way? If this draft was to serve as a tool for the MB to disect I would hope you drafted the players you would if it were for real. What we want to see from you guys is your best possible draft with commenary to gain insight so we can learn from your expertise.

Again, not ragging you but I thought this would make for good discussion.

What is the difference between ADMIN and Staff titles at FBG? All in All I like Grays team. Dunn and Barlow are studs and I love Mason this year. My guess is Mcnair will be in the air for at least an hour every Sunday.

Wimer's Roster + Commentary interspersed:1.04: RB Ahman Green: Elite RB with great QB/WR corps to keep D’s honest – legitimate shot to repeat 20 TD’s in a season. 2.09: RB Quentin Griffin: Talented RB on a team that has thrown down 2629 yards rushing/20 TD’s (2003) and 2226 yards rushing/21 TD’s (2002) in the past two years. No challenge to his starting job has emerged in pre-season. He is a sure top-15 pick barring injury, with a shot at top 10. Depending on how many passes he catches (an unknown quantity, but I like him for 30-40 as a minimum range in 2004), he could be huge in this system. Scarcity of top RB’s (and Harrison/R. Moss/C. Johnson/Holt already off the board) made Griffin as #17 RB an easy choice.3.04: QB Peyton Manning: Iron man QB with 5 seasons 4100+ passing yards, minimum 26 TD’s on a team primed for a Super-Bowl run. Second only to Culpepper in FP at his position – and I felt sure neither he nor Hasselbeck (the other top-3 QB in my book) would last until 4.09. With lots of depth available at second-tier WR (Harrison/R. Moss/C. Johnson/Holt/Owens/Ward/S. Smith all off the board before 3.04) I grabbed Manning here. 4.09: WR Joe Horn: Unchallenged #1 WR on his team, 12th WR off the board, a solid cornerstone for my WR stable.5.04: RB Tyrone Wheatley: Norv Turner’s pick to headline in Oakland. Put up a solid 4.3 YPC last season in a bad situation, with relatively little mileage for a player of his age. With lots of WR I like still available at/beyond this pick, I hedge vs. injury to my top 2 backs with this pick. As 29th RB off the board, I see value here, but not at WR.6.09 WR Brandon Lloyd: Clear #1 on a team with long-bomb mentality, no other challengers to his role (Rashaun Woods injury/missed practices cement Lloyd as #1 this season, IMO). Should be consistently productive regardless who ends up under center. 7.04 WR Keyshawn Johnson: I am not a huge Keyshawn Johnson fan, but Bill Parcells knows how to handle him, and he has prior experience with Vinny Testaverde and a decent #2 across from him in Terry Glenn (another Parcells guy) to keep defenses honest, + Jason Witten at TE. Very comfortable with this possession-type receiver (should see 75+ receptions easily, at 1 pt. per reception) as my #3 (and he should be #1 WR in Dallas this season, IMO). 8.09 TE Dallas Clark: The Colts love this guy’s potential, and he plays on a team that has thrown for 4100+ yards for 5 straight years. Even if Marcus Pollard grabs ~300 yards worth of balls, that should leave plenty for Clark to get ~600 + 4-5 TD’s – putting him at 6th on my TE board. As 8th TE off the board, he was just about right and filled a need for my team, now that my starting lineup at the other skill positions was set.9.04 WR David Terrell: Marty Booker is in Miami, so there’s a whole new ball-game in Chicago at WR. Terrell is expected to fill the #1 role in the Windy City, and I decided to roll the dice that the Bears knew what they were doing when they traded Booker away and installed Terrell as the top dog. At the minimum, I should have seen solid #2 WR type numbers from Terrell (not bad for a bye-week fill-in/injury insurance type player). 10.09 QB Drew Bledsoe: Bledsoe had a horrible season last year. This year, Eric Moulds is healthy (he was never fit last season), a new OC is in town (all for the best, IMO), and Travis Henry/Willis McGahee will force defenses to respect the run. There is nowhere to go but up for Bledsoe, and with Losman out with a fractured leg, Bledsoe is the only show in town. A solid #2 QB, IMO.11.04 RB Kevin Faulk: Faulk is a scat back who catches a lot of passes, and he should see some duty rushing the ball as second-fiddle to Corey Dillon. With one point per reception in play, he was the guy still on the board to plug in while Green Bay (9) and Denver/Oakland (10) are on bye. 12.09 DT Tampa Bay: Every squad has to have a DT, and I saw value taking the Buccaneers’ unit at this pick.13.04 WR Travis Taylor: As I have maintained all pre-season, I believe Taylor is and will remain the #1 WR in Baltimore. He was also a good bye-week fit, and should be a consistent if unspectacular option in case the injury bug bites the WR corps. 14.09 RB Najeh Davenport: The back-up to my 1.04 pick, and a very talented back in his own right. Cheap insurance at this pick.15.04 WR Keary Colbert: I expect Colbert to supplant Muhsin Muhammad as the #2 WR in production this season, and he should be coming into his own (and the #2 spot) by the second half of the year. That’s the sort of play-off push/boom potential I look for from deep on my WR bench. 16.09 PK Sebastian Janikowski: Every squad has to have a PK, and Janikowski was the highest ranked guy on my board at this point.

What is the difference between ADMIN and Staff titles at FBG?
When hurling insultings, I can freely say Aaron sucks donkey knobs without fear but have to limit it to Shick! knows protactors. :D

Wimer's Roster + Commentary interspersed:1.04: RB Ahman Green: Elite RB with great QB/WR corps to keep D’s honest – legitimate shot to repeat 20 TD’s in a season. 2.09: RB Quentin Griffin: Talented RB on a team that has thrown down 2629 yards rushing/20 TD’s (2003) and 2226 yards rushing/21 TD’s (2002) in the past two years. No challenge to his starting job has emerged in pre-season. He is a sure top-15 pick barring injury, with a shot at top 10. Depending on how many passes he catches (an unknown quantity, but I like him for 30-40 as a minimum range in 2004), he could be huge in this system. Scarcity of top RB’s (and Harrison/R. Moss/C. Johnson/Holt already off the board) made Griffin as #17 RB an easy choice.3.04: QB Peyton Manning: Iron man QB with 5 seasons 4100+ passing yards, minimum 26 TD’s on a team primed for a Super-Bowl run. Second only to Culpepper in FP at his position – and I felt sure neither he nor Hasselbeck (the other top-3 QB in my book) would last until 4.09. With lots of depth available at second-tier WR (Harrison/R. Moss/C. Johnson/Holt/Owens/Ward/S. Smith all off the board before 3.04) I grabbed Manning here. 4.09: WR Joe Horn: Unchallenged #1 WR on his team, 12th WR off the board, a solid cornerstone for my WR stable.5.04: RB Tyrone Wheatley: Norv Turner’s pick to headline in Oakland. Put up a solid 4.3 YPC last season in a bad situation, with relatively little mileage for a player of his age. With lots of WR I like still available at/beyond this pick, I hedge vs. injury to my top 2 backs with this pick. As 29th RB off the board, I see value here, but not at WR.6.09 WR Brandon Lloyd: Clear #1 on a team with long-bomb mentality, no other challengers to his role (Rashaun Woods injury/missed practices cement Lloyd as #1 this season, IMO). Should be consistently productive regardless who ends up under center. 7.04 WR Keyshawn Johnson: I am not a huge Keyshawn Johnson fan, but Bill Parcells knows how to handle him, and he has prior experience with Vinny Testaverde and a decent #2 across from him in Terry Glenn (another Parcells guy) to keep defenses honest, + Jason Witten at TE. Very comfortable with this possession-type receiver (should see 75+ receptions easily, at 1 pt. per reception) as my #3 (and he should be #1 WR in Dallas this season, IMO). 8.09 TE Dallas Clark: The Colts love this guy’s potential, and he plays on a team that has thrown for 4100+ yards for 5 straight years. Even if Marcus Pollard grabs ~300 yards worth of balls, that should leave plenty for Clark to get ~600 + 4-5 TD’s – putting him at 6th on my TE board. As 8th TE off the board, he was just about right and filled a need for my team, now that my starting lineup at the other skill positions was set.9.04 WR David Terrell: Marty Booker is in Miami, so there’s a whole new ball-game in Chicago at WR. Terrell is expected to fill the #1 role in the Windy City, and I decided to roll the dice that the Bears knew what they were doing when they traded Booker away and installed Terrell as the top dog. At the minimum, I should have seen solid #2 WR type numbers from Terrell (not bad for a bye-week fill-in/injury insurance type player). 10.09 QB Drew Bledsoe: Bledsoe had a horrible season last year. This year, Eric Moulds is healthy (he was never fit last season), a new OC is in town (all for the best, IMO), and Travis Henry/Willis McGahee will force defenses to respect the run. There is nowhere to go but up for Bledsoe, and with Losman out with a fractured leg, Bledsoe is the only show in town. A solid #2 QB, IMO.11.04 RB Kevin Faulk: Faulk is a scat back who catches a lot of passes, and he should see some duty rushing the ball as second-fiddle to Corey Dillon. With one point per reception in play, he was the guy still on the board to plug in while Green Bay (9) and Denver/Oakland (10) are on bye. 12.09 DT Tampa Bay: Every squad has to have a DT, and I saw value taking the Buccaneers’ unit at this pick.13.04 WR Travis Taylor: As I have maintained all pre-season, I believe Taylor is and will remain the #1 WR in Baltimore. He was also a good bye-week fit, and should be a consistent if unspectacular option in case the injury bug bites the WR corps. 14.09 RB Najeh Davenport: The back-up to my 1.04 pick, and a very talented back in his own right. Cheap insurance at this pick.15.04 WR Keary Colbert: I expect Colbert to supplant Muhsin Muhammad as the #2 WR in production this season, and he should be coming into his own (and the #2 spot) by the second half of the year. That’s the sort of play-off push/boom potential I look for from deep on my WR bench. 16.09 PK Sebastian Janikowski: Every squad has to have a PK, and Janikowski was the highest ranked guy on my board at this point.
More reaches in this draft then a :11: load of kids in a candy store.

Johnson, Brad TBB QB - 8 12.11 McNair, Steve TEN QB - 9 5.02 I was targeting McNair in the 5th all along...almost took Green but I like McNairs WR weapons more and went with what I thought was the safer bet. Johnson was amazing value in the 12th if his ppg is what it was last year. If we would have went the full 20 I would have handcuffed him with Simms.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Green, William CLE RB - 8 9.02 Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 5 1.02 Johnson, Larry KCC RB - 5 15.02 Martin, Curtis NYJ RB - 3 2.11 Priest was a no-brainer at #2, but I would rather have had LT. CuMar was a risk management pick as I knew I was only going to be drafting 2 starting RBs and their backups. A strategy I strongly reccomend in no-trade/start 3WR leagues unless a very strong RB slides to you in the 5th or later. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Boldin, Anquan ARI WR - 6 10.11 Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 7 4.11 Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 8.11 Smith, Steve CAR WR - 3 3.02 Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR - 8 6.11 Watts, Darius DEN WR - 10 14.11 Love this group and is probably my favorite, yet it is the most risky portion of my roster. I draft risk/reward in any format that has waiver wire pickups...this group is the definition. Kennison is going to seriously surprise as the KC #1 this year...mark my words. He is extremely undervalued right now, especially given the gloomy news surrounding Morton. Green's 4000 yards must land somewhere besided Gonzo and Priest.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jones, Freddie ARI TE - 6 13.02 Winslow, Kellen CLE TE - 8 7.02 I love these two guys where I got them as well. Jones at 13.02 will prove to be a steal. He is McCown's #2 target until Boldin gets back. Denny said he's going to the Pro-Bowl. Coach speak yes, but it doesn't hurt to hear it.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gramatica, Martin TBB PK - 8 16.11 Who cares-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def - 6 11.02 I thought Baltimore slid a bit so I jumped on them. In most drafts I think the top D's usually go a little early because they interfere with my QB/WR sleeper picks but I liked Baltimore this late...this is much later than they went last year in WCOFF I believe.I can't say I'd do much different. I may have taken a flyer on A-Train or McCardell, but other than that my draft went exactly as designed.

More reaches in this draft then a :11: load of kids in a candy store.
Hey, can I help it if the other guys left all that yummy candy lying around for me to pick up? :D I really like this team, solid core players with some boom potential on the bench, IMO. I agree that Janikowski in the 16th was a reach, but we HAD to take a kicker, so what's a guy to do?

Aaron,After reading your post I wanted to point out 2 comments you made that got me thinking. Not trying to criticize but I wanted to discuss this.First on your comment:

If I had known I was going to get Duckett at 5.12, I probably would have passed on Garner or Suggs and grabbed another WR at the 4.01 spot.
. Well, we never know who is going to fall. We either gamble that a player will be there or not. But why not draft who you want? If you want player X and you had targeted that player in this round why not take them then and there? Value is worthless if you don't have the players to win with right? Sounds like a regret you could've avoided.Second comment:
I'm confused by this comment. You are saying that you drafted a player that you would not have drafted if it were for real. Shouldn't every draft, free or pay, be managed the same way? If this draft was to serve as a tool for the MB to disect I would hope you drafted the players you would if it were for real. What we want to see from you guys is your best possible draft with commenary to gain insight so we can learn from your expertise.Again, not ragging you but I thought this would make for good discussion.
my comments were in response to a direct question asking if there were any picks I might regret now that the draft is over. I don't think I would have even considered taking Duckett at the 4.01 spot in a pt/rec league. My point was that I wanted to grab a solid RB3 in case my RB2 in Suggs didn't work out as well as expected. I took Garner and felt pretty safe, but when Duckett was available at 5.12 I felt he was too good to pass on. Had I known I could get Duckett at 5.12 (which I didn't anticipate happening), then I would have probably passed on Garner if there was a WR out there that I liked.Regarding Bulger, I felt he had slid way past where he should be drafted and was a screaming buy at that point in the draft. If this were a real team, I would not want to draft him, but I would seriously consider it. There are occasions when I'll draft a player that I don't really like. Bottom line: I was surprised to see him still available, and with nothing on the line, I felt comfortable taking him. In a real league, with money on the line, I'd have given it a lot more thought because I believe Bulger carries some significant risk. His upside might have still convinced me that he was worth the pick. But, with 1 minute per pick, I didn't exactly have a whole lot of time to contemplate the issue during this draft.

Personally, I am not impressed with Corey Dillon at all. He's been in the mid 20's on my RB board since the start of pre-season, and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Q. Griffin, on the other hand, has surpassed what I expected to start pre-season and put all the other RB's on the squad far behind him. Just wait until they really start playing ball in regular season. Griffin is far above Dillon on my board, and has been for some time.MW

What is the difference between ADMIN and Staff titles at FBG? All in All I like Grays team. Dunn and Barlow are studs and I love Mason this year. My guess is Mcnair will be in the air for at least an hour every Sunday.
Staff is staff. They write/work for the website. Admin are staff also, but are designated message board administration. We deal with message board issues like passwords lost, can't log in, dealing with trolls, etc.

Staff is staff. They write/work for the website. Admin are staff also, but are designated message board administration. We deal with message board issues like passwords lost, can't log in, dealing with trolls, etc.
I thought I said that more concisely.
When hurling insultings, I can freely say Aaron sucks donkey knobs without fear but have to limit it to Shick! knows protactors.

QUOTE (Barry Jive and The Uptown Five @ Aug 26 2004, 10:33 PM Taking the latest VBD app and adding 1pt per rec,

1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD/10 400

2 Priest Holmes KC/5 394

3 Deuce McAllister NO/8 352

4 Edgerrin James Ind/6 315

5 Clinton Portis Was/7 313

6 Ahman Green GB/9 310

7 Shaun Alexander Sea/4 301

8 Ricky Williams Mia/10 296  :eek:   Why's he still in the 8/25 VBD?

9 Kevan Barlow SF/7 286

10 Jamal Lewis Bal/6 279

[b)11 Marshall Faulk StL/8 274

12 Tiki Barber ................NYG/6 274

13 Fred Taylor Jac/9 265

14 Domanick Davis Hou/7 245

15 Travis Henry Buf/3 243

16 Duce Staley Pit/7 239

17 Curtis Martin NYJ/3 237

18 Corey Dillon NE/3 234
Funny how that works! :D Thanks Barry--I missed the 1pt/ reception. Makes sense.Also thanks to Drugrunner for the legit response.

Believe it or not, Joe and David don't require us to absorb their projections and rankings verbatim.
No kidding? Thanks for the condescending answer, Levin :nerd: :thumbdown:

Personally, I am not impressed with Corey Dillon at all. He's been in the mid 20's on my RB board since the start of pre-season, and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Q. Griffin, on the other hand, has surpassed what I expected to start pre-season and put all the other RB's on the squad far behind him. Just wait until they really start playing ball in regular season. Griffin is far above Dillon on my board, and has been for some time.MW
Thanks Mark. :thumbup: I was just curious to see why he fell--you, Barry's VBD, and Drugrunners pt/reception answered that question.

Where to begin? First, I purposefully chose a late draft spot (#10) because I hadn't drafted late yet this year. Second, this draft sucked for me because I decided to go with a strategy that I've been using in multiple drafts this year. I've been targeting these specific players...

Chad Johnson in the 2nd

Chris Brown or Kevin Jones in the 3rd

Deion Branch, Donald Driver, and Joey Galloway after the 8th round.

I was okay with Johnson in the second and Jones in the 3rd, but I realize that an early pick (probably #5 - #7) would work much better for these targeted players. I would end up with top tier RB in the first, get better value later in the 2nd with Johnson, and have a much better shot at Brown instead of Jones in the third.

I just about came out my chair when all three of my late round targets were nabbed on the turn from the 8th to 9th. What gives? Crap. The rest of the world must be seeing the value that these three represent.

Leftwich, Byron JAC QB - 9 10.03

Pennington, Chad NYJ QB - 3 7.10

Would have been cool with either Pennington or Brady in the 7th. Was targeting Palmer in the 10th, but Overton kept that from happening.

Jones, Kevin DET RB - 4 3.10

Lewis, Jamal BAL RB - 6 1.10

Minor, Travis MIA RB - 10 6.03

Pittman, Michael TBB RB - 8 8.03

The Minor pick in the 6th is a gamble. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins make a move. If Miami goes into the season with Minor as a starter, getting him in the 6th is good value. Yes, his stats have sucked so far, but I'm not too worried about that. I keep reading that Pittman is getting first team reps in Tampa Bay. After he returns he'll have a good shot of getting lots of touches. We'll have to wait and see what Garner does with his opportunity.

Bennett, Drew TEN WR - 9 13.10

Gage, Justin CHI WR - 5 14.03

Hilliard, Ike NYG WR - 6 12.03

Johnson, Chad CIN WR - 5 2.03

Morgan, Quincy CLE WR - 8 9.10

Moulds, Eric BUF WR - 3 4.03

I'm very happy with Johnson and Moulds, but my depth fell apart late (see above). I'm okay with drafting guys that I know are starters that have a chance to shine. Gage might be a bit iffy, but also might be a #1 guy in Chicago with Booker out of the way.

Heap, Todd BAL TE - 6 5.10

Stevens, Jerramy SEA TE - 4 11.10

Very happy with Heap late in the 5th. Would have taken Freddie Jones if not for the bye week conflict. Stevens has a chance to explode in Seattle.

Longwell, Ryan GBP PK - 9 16.03

Titans, Tennessee TEN Def - 9 15.10

Kickers and defenses. What - evah...

Final notes:

1. I was still high as a kite on demeral (sp?) and vicadin (sp?). That was interesting. I had a minor medial procedure this morning. Any huge mistakes can be attributed to this...

2. I like Levin's team quite a bit. Solid RB and WR corps. Safe QB picks. Only question fro me would be his TE (only Graham)

3. Much love an appreciation to those that participated. Thanks also to Da Masses and fasteddie for being available to fill in.

Ok, sorry I didn't get to this last night.. but here's the rundown on my team:Drafting from the 5th slot, I felt I got some good value through the first 4 rounds or so with Shaun Alexander, Travis Henry, Thomas Jones, Donnie Mack.. then I was praying Andre Johnson would last to me in the 5th, but knew I'd be perfectly content with Charles Rogers as the fallback option, which is what I ended up going with.. Johnson was looooong gone like Ernie Harwell.I shocked the draft room taking Gates in the 7th round.. I know it's about 2 rounds earlier than his ADP suggests (early-mid 9th), but my gut feeling proved correct in the chat room aftermath. The TEs started to quicker than most anticipated after the 1st one fell... I was looking at 3 of the 6 TEs that I'd settle for hanging on the board, then within one round, all but Gates and BOO Williams were gone. So, I didn't think twice about it. Gates is the guy I wanted from the get-go in every league this year, so I made it happen. As it turned out, had I NOT taken him, he would not have made it back to me. There were 1 or 2 others in the draft who had him pegged as well. Touche... sometimes you gotta go get the players you want. Even if the ADP value isn't there, if he comes thru as I expect, the value will be fine in my book.Outside of taking Gates earlier than OTHERs expected, the rest of my draft followed the proverbial script for the most part... but here's a shakedown of my final roster:QBDonovan McNabbDavid CarrI fully expect a bounce back year from Donnie "he's still the" Mack and Carr is another QB that I firmly believe will take a big step forward this year. I like this tandem and have the same one in another league. McNabb in the 3th round and Carr in the 10th round? I'll take that all day long.RBShaun AlexanderTravis HenryThomas JonesOnterrio SmithChris PerryI like my stable here.. SA is a solid middle of the 1st round pick and I grabbed Jones to cover Henry's ####. No pun intended, really. Smitty, jumped up and grabbed both McGahee and A-Train literally within a round of when I was targeting each player as a backup, which was also about 1 round earlier than the ADP. So, considering I "reached" for Gates, consider that a lesson learned, but I wasn't worried at all.. Jones, Henry and Alexander all catch plenty of passes and with the scoring system all make great sense and give me solid starter-quality depth. Perry was a 15th round pick, who at worst will catch 30 or so passes and be a strong backup/change of pace runner for Cincy.. then again, he could be much more. Onterrio was great value in the 12th round despite the suspension. WRCharles RogersJustin McCareinsDeion BranchTyrone CalicoEric ParkerWaited until the 5th round to get my 1st WR simply because in this draft slot I wanted to grab 3 solid backs, then jump on QB while I could still get one of the 4-5 stud QBs that I prefer.. I was hoping to get Andre Johnson, but knew it was a gamble.. Rogers is also that - a gamble, but I have great confidence in his ability to put up 1,000 yds and 7-8 TDs this year for a starting point. McCareins is the #2 and Deion Branch the #3.. I would have prefered those two as my #3 and #4, but I think both players and Rogers for that matter, could live up to their expected roles within this team... especially with Calico and Parker as my 2 WRs off the bench. I love the potential there.TE Antonio GatesMarcus PollardDiscussed already.. but I re-iterate, it's not always about ADP and value, but going out and getting the players you want. Make no mistake about it - I WANTED GATES. I have no problem taking the wrath of those who disagree because I've always been one willing to take a risk. I firmly believe that you can't win in competitive leagues without taking a risk or two along the way. Some pan out, some don't .. that's just the nature of the beast, and I fully expect Gates to be just that - a beast. Pollard as a backup is comforting as well.KMatt StoverLast round pick and mostly an after thought.. never even think about a backup kicker, that's what waiver wires are for..D/STSeattle SeahawksAfter watching B-more and New England drop, I waited as long as possible to take a defense having targeted the Seahawks. I like their off-season additions and love the fact they'll be facing Bulger, Rattay/Dorsey and McCown twice each. Again, call it a gut feeling but with an improved pass rush, more talent up the middle to stop the run and a solid secondary I expect the 'Hawks to increase their sack total, turnover count and score a few more TDs along the way.There ya go.. have at it. I believe this team would compete for the playoffs and maybe more. I would need the WRs to deliver as well as Antonio Gates, but all things considered I think the depth on this squad is above average and the scoring potential is solid given the QB-RB-RB tandem looks very strong.

How about a new guy instead of the established vets who are in on everything on this site.......
Because established vets usually know what they're doing, with a new guy, you never know what you're getting.
Hey EG72,Kev doesn't mean any disrespect, but he has a point. You may very well be knowledgeable. You may very well do a great job. However, we'll probably go with a couple of guys we already have confidence in.
Actually its not really that bad of an idea, using someone you have no idea about. I just joined a league where I work and two of the guys were fairly new at this and their drafting really threw a wrench in my plans. They don't subscribe to anywhere or keep up in the offseason. But they both ended up with a decent looking squad, and the one went QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/TE/Def :wall: If everyone is close to the same thought, this draft won't go down like a standard league draft.

Regarding Bulger, I felt he had slid way past where he should be drafted and was a screaming buy at that point in the draft.
No doubt. I was SHOCKED he was still available for you.I only marginally prefer Brooks over Bulger right now otherwise he'd have been my pick, and I like the Brooks/Favre combo better than Bulger/Favre b/c I can play the matchups better - with Bulger you kind of have to start him all the time as you never know which game he'll go off and which game he'll throw 3 picks.As soon as I took a QB in the 8-10 range, my targets after that were Favre and Pennie.

2. I like Levin's team quite a bit. Solid RB and WR corps. Safe QB picks. Only question fro me would be his TE (only Graham)
Thanks Shick! - I am not confident with Graham as my TE1 eiyhere - in a "real" draft one of my RBs woul dhave been left on the WW and I would have added another TE of the Des Clark/Erron Kinney variety - I also usually make sure to get one of my top-6 TEs in a 12 teams draft (top-5 in a 10, etc), and I failed to do that here as I continued to add backup WR and RB value - both the Emmitt Smith and McCardell picks could have gone TE, bunt I wanted to see what kind of depth I could build.

I'm curious where people like Bennett now.

Curtis ####in Martin!!!! What in the hell were you thinking taking him that early?

Hey idiot- Martin ADP is around 64. Thats 5-6th round jackass.
Wow, was looking around some old posts and found this gem :lmao:

Beauty of a bump.Looking back I was very happy to see that my targeted late round players were solid. Driver, Branch, Galloway, Bennett, and Pittman were on lots of my rosters as very late picks. Injuries aside I was happy with that group.

my team was rocked with injuries

Boldin

Steve Smith

Winslow

Stallworth

Holmes

McNair

:eek:
Eh, may have been but just enjoyed the idiot and jackass comments on Martin, made me laugh :D

If only the Cmart call was the only :wall:

Aug 11 2003, 07:23 AM Post #9 Until Holmes is shown in the preseason tearing it up, you can not justify taking him in the first round. Sure, he is the best FFL producer the past two seasons, but if he is hurt, he will not produce at first round levels. Portis, LT, Alexander, Ricky, Deuce, Henry, anf Faulk will all be ahead of Proest until i see him playing at last years level.....
Priest Holmes 2003-2004 Performance: Started all 16 games...320 carries, 1420 yards, 27 TD's...74rec, 690 yards
Apr 18 2004, 05:16 PM Post #20 Travis Henry will always be questioned, and i dont know why. He is a freakin warrior on a team of #######. He played hurt all year behind a crappy line and probably the worst QB in the league. Buffalo had a great defense and a great RB last year, but the rest of the team ws so bad that they couldnt win. I will again be surprised, based on the severity of his injury, if McGahee can be a viable back next year.
Guess he was surprised...284-1128, 13 TD's
May 10 2004, 09:45 AM Post #19 The 49ers are a snake in the grass next yr. I find it comical that they are being written off, despite the fact that they have quitetly built an excellent young defense. Also, Rattay/dorsey will be fine in that system, and that brings me to Barlow. That guy is a beast. He just killed people when he got the rock full time last yr. He is also the type of runner who gets better the more carries he gets. Dom Davis is a Tiki Barber type runner; can be a pleasant surprise at times but definitely not to be relied on. Barlow is a feature back, and can put up top 5 numbers and some mammoth games along the way. He is terrific compared to his peers at the 10-20 range.
Wow...I'm glad I stayed off the Barlow bandwagon last year...I know he was thought high of by some but top 5 back and Barlow in the same paragraph? Wow.
May 11 2004, 09:34 AM Post #12 Im sorry, but id like to bet every one of you who think San Francisco is a bottom five team next yr. Not only are they not a bottom tier team, they are a sleeper. Look at the very talented defense and barlow controlling the rock. Rattay and dorsey are both smart, competent QB's in the mold of Delhomme or Feely. Just b/c Garica and TO leave isnt necessarily a bad thing. You guys should know by now in the NFL its addition by subtraction.
2-14...I think that about sums that up.
Jul 25 2004, 11:42 AM Post #3 Unless he is flat broke in a few years, you will not see Ricky on a football field again. He genuinely does not like football, or everything that goes along with the game.
Few years...fast foward one year...Ricky's Back! :pickle:
Apr 30 2004, 10:15 PM Post #41 Blow me you piece of ####. ill give you my address adn come over and lets see who is tough. you #####.
May 1 2004, 08:24 AM Post #45 im gay? you are gay
This is what creates a FBG Legend :confused: ...whoops...I better change my whole course of direction...Aaron, I'll give you my address and come and lets see who is tough. :lmao: (after I knock you out of the MBSLIII of course)Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread