What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

I watched Oculus last night based on a somewhat random recommendation -- went in knowing nothing about the film other than the fairly generic description provided by Hulu. Good pick. I has a few jump scares here and there, but it's mostly psychological and plays very heavily on the idea of having an unreliable narrator, which I always like.

Just saw X on Showtime. In some ways, it was what I expected and in other ways it wasn't. Takes place in the 1970's and is kind of a cross between Boogie Nights and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and a 3rd movie I won't mention because spoilers). The wife surprisingly loved it and I thought it was a fun watch.

Just saw X on Showtime. In some ways, it was what I expected and in other ways it wasn't. Takes place in the 1970's and is kind of a cross between Boogie Nights and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and a 3rd movie I won't mention because spoilers). The wife surprisingly loved it and I thought it was a fun watch.
I liked it.
Currently watching The Cursed...meh. 1/2 way through and its disjointed with distracting time/place jumps that belie film room cutting but overall the story ain't great anyway so who cares, it's 11:45 at night and I'm drinking beer to the finish!
Curious if you finished and what you thought of it overall. I enjoyed it; not perfect by any means but kept my interest and I liked the tone.

They filmed a prequel at the same time so there will be another movie based on X.

I gave the new Hellraiser a 4/10. Still thinking about why it might not have, but it just didn't click with me yesterday. A couple cool ideas I liked - like "choosing" your configuration and there were some great looking shots. Mostly I was just a bit bored and felt all 2 hours of the run time.

The Lakehouse wasn't bad. For any fans of Barry, I was happy to see his girlfriend found some work. For a quick second I really thought it was his girlfriend and not an actress who played his girlfriend. :lol:

I watched Oculus last night based on a somewhat random recommendation -- went in knowing nothing about the film other than the fairly generic description provided by Hulu. Good pick. I has a few jump scares here and there, but it's mostly psychological and plays very heavily on the idea of having an unreliable narrator, which I always like.
An early film from the most excellent Mike Flanagan who's gone on to do lots of great stuff.

An early film from the most excellent Mike Flanagan who's gone on to do lots of great stuff.
I'm halfway through his newest Netflix show, the Midnight Club. I like it quite a bit...more of an anthology than his previous offerings like Hill House and Midnight Mass.

They filmed a prequel at the same time so there will be another movie based on X.

Pearl or MaXXXine?

Pearl or MaXXXine?
Pearl, which is the name of the film. And apparently it was released to theaters a few weeks ago and will be on VOD at the end of October. A third film has been announced based on Maxine after the events of X though.

Last night was Dog Soldiers because it was a full moon.

I haven't laughed so hard at a silly thing in a long while - opening scene, the werewolf carefully unzips a tent then proceeds to shread the people inside. :lol: Anyway, overall I was 50/50 on it. Overall I like the story, but the f/x were a bit cheesy at times and wore on me a tad. Still a very good werewolf movie, and as I am finding, those are in short supply. 7/10.

Pearl or MaXXXine?
Pearl, which is the name of the film. And apparently it was released to theaters a few weeks ago and will be on VOD at the end of October. A third film has been announced based on Maxine after the events of X though.
.. and we go right from a great, original movie to of course driving the idea into the ground by pushing out a bunch of movies in short order.

Pearl or MaXXXine?
.. and we go right from a great, original movie to of course driving the idea into the ground by pushing out a bunch of movies in short order.
Yeah, not seeing the need for any of these spinoffs

Watched "Speak no evil" based on positive reviews. Thought it was a waste of time. The ending is absolutely ridiculous.

Pearl or MaXXXine?

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen them. X was filmed during Covid. From what I read, he started working on the idea for Pearl during filming of X. He was working with the actress who plays Pearl on the character's history/backstory and, due to Covid and the isolation of filming the movie in New Zealand IIRC, it developed in to a complete movie.

Pearl or MaXXXine?

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen them. X was filmed during Covid. From what I read, he started working on the idea for Pearl during filming of X. He was working with the actress who plays Pearl on the character's history/backstory and, due to Covid and the isolation of filming the movie in New Zealand IIRC, it developed in to a complete movie.
Of course, as it should be. My comment was more from experience and being tired of that being the case for so many movies, especially in this genre. I can't think of many franchises that don't start declining after a couple movies, but of course there are examples. Way too often it's just a money grab and an attempt to pump out movies while the buzz is good. I get it - as much as I would love it to be all about the movies and art, at the end of the day it's a business that needs to make $.

Watched "Speak no evil" based on positive reviews. Thought it was a waste of time. The ending is absolutely ridiculous.
huh, I liked it quite a bit. I thought the acting of the couple (especially the wife) at the end was spot on. Her shaking from the shot of adrenaline from all that had happened and what she knew was going to happen was how I see someone reacting in that position.

I had some extra time this afternoon so I got to see Smile. I thought it was very good. The soundtrack matched the cinematography perfectly. I need to check this soundtrack out, but I feel it may be sound effects as much as music. What ever it was it was perfect for this film. Most horror fans have probably seen every trick used in this movie, but it still scares. I am not going to ruin the ending , I will say I liked it quite a bit.
I do feel that some of the scares and one in particular were ruined by showing it in the trailers. Really wish the super long trailers that ruin surprises would stop.

My Halloween staples have become Cabin in the Woods, Tucker and Dale, and Trick 'R Treat. Feels like I watch at least 2 of these each year now.

They Live in the Grey

Had no real knowledge of the plot going into this one, but it was a slow burn paranormal suspense film. I liked it. Definitely a departure from the typical haunting movie. 4/5.

Watched a couple more old ones: Eyes Without a Face and Fiend Without a Face. :oldunsure:

First one was the better one, and I can see why it's on a lot of lists. The big ding for me was the soundtrack- the music was SO much like Curb Your Enthusiasm that I was pretty distracted. Second one was more of a fun/goofy sci-fi horror like The Crawling Eye, but I had a blast with it.

In the hospital with the 17yo (appendicitis), so I will probably ripping off a few tonight as we are trapped in a room. Was thinking about some foreign ones, but maybe a couple set in a hospital are in order instead?

Maybe I will have to try again. I remember not being able to get through Dr. Sleep.

If you're a fan of The Shining, I can't imagine how not. Maybe I was biased and I loved the book, one of the better things King has done in a long time.
I didn't know what it was about and thought the main baddie and idea were a bit cheesy in the movie.

Don't remember clearly and could have been my mood that night, so take it for what it's worth. Haven't read any newer King besides The Outsider.

I'm halfway through his newest Netflix show, the Midnight Club. I like it quite a bit...more of an anthology than his previous offerings like Hill House and Midnight Mass.
Oh, I had no idea that this was the same guy who made Midnight Mass. Huge fan of that one, to the point of annoying a couple of my friends at dinner a year or so ago because I wouldn't shut up about it. Makes sense that I liked some of his earlier work too.

Oh, I had no idea that this was the same guy who made Midnight Mass. Huge fan of that one, to the point of annoying a couple of my friends at dinner a year or so ago because I wouldn't shut up about it. Makes sense that I liked some of his earlier work too.
Loved Midnight Mass -- has one of my favorite homilies of all time, priest is just so passionate... and so, so wrong.

Nice work, did you do this for fun or for a potential bigger project?
Thanks!
I would like for it to bring some work but since it isn't a traditional demo like Commercial, Narration, eLearning, etc., it's not something I would probably send out to possible clients. It's pretty niche as far as demos go but maybe someone will stumble onto it. Mostly just for fun in that way.

huh, I liked it quite a bit. I thought the acting of the couple (especially the wife) at the end was spot on. Her shaking from the shot of adrenaline from all that had happened and what she knew was going to happen was how I see someone reacting in that position.
Trying not to spoil anything, but my point is I would have died in the car. No way I let what happened happen that way. Especially without any weapons being involved. Parents gave up. Actually they never even tried.

Barbarians

Having a hard time not imagining Adam as Ramsey Bolton while watching this. :lol: Not bad overall and it kept my attention. 4/5

Trying not to spoil anything, but my point is I would have died in the car. No way I let what happened happen that way. Especially without any weapons being involved. Parents gave up. Actually they never even tried.
I do agree with that somewhat. I am not sure who would have died in the car but I guarantee someone would be severely fd up. I just don't think that couple had the necessary skill set for that. I have trained for situations like that so I feel I would have a better shot at it than the movie couple. IIam not saying I would have survived but I would find out who wanted to live more. I don't like to talk about this like it was real, but if this were real it is quite possible an average person would freeze in disbelief that it was happening. That is a proven phenomenon in situations such as this. Especially her reaction at the end, I found that very believable. There is a huge adrenaline dump when under stress such as this. It was the shaking and compliance at the end that really got me. They knew what was coming and really had no other option than what they did. Of course there were options, but like I said they came across as a couple that would not know how to even attempt to employ those options. They did not even have it in them to leave before that night when they absolutely should have. This is a nice example of trust your gut instinct. Deep inside they knew something was wrong but they didn't have it in them to leave.

Oh boy wtf was Halloween Ends. What a weird movie/ending for a trilogy. It had some decent parts but so underwhelming. Maybe a second viewing will change my mind.

Just finished Speak No Evil. Effin Dutch, amirite?

What a weird movie on many levels. I liked most of it, but the ending was ridiculous. I am a big fan of slow burn suspense films, but this one was good until it wasn’t. 3.5/5

Ok, I clicked on the trailer for The Sadness. :shock: I think will take the plunge tonight on a more empty stomach. Anybody watch this one??

Users who are viewing this thread