What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fire Ants (1 Viewer)

Papa Georgio

Footballguy
I think my town is getting run over by theses things. I have a PE class that I can't even take out to our football field because the kids get bitten so much. Anyone have any experience with these things and ways to get rid of them? Last year they had a company come out to kill them off and it did zero good.

I think my town is getting run over by theses things. I have a PE class that I can't even take out to our football field because the kids get bitten so much. Anyone have any experience with these things and ways to get rid of them? Last year they had a company come out to kill them off and it did zero good.
I've always heard boiling water will work. But that sounds pretty intensive for an outdoor football field.

For indoor - these work amazing - http://www.amazon.com/TERRO-PreFilled-Liquid-Killer-Baits/dp/B000HJBKMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413547760&sr=8-1&keywords=ant+bait

I've always heard boiling water will work. But that sounds pretty intensive for an outdoor football field.

For indoor - these work amazing - http://www.amazon.com/TERRO-PreFilled-Liquid-Killer-Baits/dp/B000HJBKMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413547760&sr=8-1&keywords=ant+bait
:hifive: This is what I use at home. Great stuff!!

Papa Georgio said:
I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords.

Papa Georgio said:
Turn this into a learning experience.

Coach PG: "They won't bite you if you're RUNNING! LET'S GO LET'S GO LET'S GO YOU LAZY ### KIDS!"

There's a product that works really well called Spinosad. It's actually organic if you can believe it and works just as good as the really high toxic stuff. If you have a way to broadcast it it works best in granules. Otherwise they do sell it in spray concentrate. I haven't had a ton of luck with that.

When you have fireants what you really have is a field that has been hit with so much high nitrogen fertilizer that the plant matter gets baked out when there is no water. Fire ants love that as a habitat because they have no difficulty digging in it.

Long term, when practical, should look to get manure and compost spread to start undoing the damage by the fertilizer.

Actually, most toxic fire ant chemicals are actually bound up with nitrogen which makes the problem worse over time. It's a ploy they use so they can get you to use the product forever.

Papa Georgio said:
Tiger Fan said:
Papa Georgio said:

:hifive: This is what I use at home. Great stuff!!
This is also effective. For 1/10th the price just get boric acid granules. It's the same material without the slick packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread