What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fisher Blasts Volek Publicly (1 Viewer)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/s...fs/15566067.htm

"Titans' Fisher says Volek lied to him

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Coach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.

The Titans finally traded Volek on Tuesday to the San Diego Chargers for a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-rounder depending on playing time. Fisher said Volek asked to be traded the day the Titans signed Kerry Collins late last month.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

It was unprecedented public criticism by Fisher, who repeatedly has protected his players.

Volek inherited the quarterback job when the Titans traded Steve McNair to Baltimore in June, and Fisher claimed it was in the first week after Volek was made the starter during the offseason that the quarterback lied to the coach.

Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.

Fans have been vehemently critical of the Titans for not giving Volek the chance to start the season, and the team is 0-2 with Collins as a starter.

Fisher said he met with Volek in his office Tuesday and was told the quarterback had no hard feelings.

Volek told several reporters on his way to the airport that he got a raw deal and didn't know why he went from starter to third-stringer before the season."

What I hear is that Volek had a very poor work ethic.

Regardless, the trade doesn't sound like an owner-inspired move that Fisher disagreed with.

"Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."
:drive: :potkettle: The Titans organization is a joke. It's sad to see Fisher going down with the ship.

Yeah I posted this in the Volek to SD thread - and my thought then as well as now is -- what kinda 'lie' do you tell to get benched? Is this like 3rd grade? Come on, now.

Sounds like spin.

"As sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives."

What the hell has happened down here?

At one point, the Titans were the WINNINGEST TEAM in the NFL over a 5+ year period. The Defense was dominant. You could NOT win at the Coliseum. We're talking 13-3 multiple years.

Holy moly, it is hard to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without looking at the past, I heard Volek is 3-7 as a starter on the radio today. If I'm not mistaken, didn't he throw for 300+ yards in like 5 games in a row last year when McNair went down?

What the heck happened?

Without looking at the past, I heard Volek is 3-7 as a starter on the radio today. If I'm not mistaken, didn't he throw for 300+ yards in like 5 games in a row last year when McNair went down?What the heck happened?
Volek went off fantasy wise in 2004. I believe he is a case where his fantasy life has been considered a lot better than his real NFL career.

It's kind of silly to even talk about this without knowing what the "lie" was.So let's speculate :D
What the heck could a starting QB lie about, that is such a big deal that he is excommunicated from the team?"the dog ate my playbook""I'm late because my car broke down""Seriously. I beat Vince in a 40 yard dash""I did not have sexual relations with that woman" <------I'm going with this one.

Fisher comes across as a complete idiot in this article. I know he's not, but wow, better just to shut your mouth than sound like an immature elementary school student.

"Titans' Fisher says Volek lied to himCoach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.........Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.
Seriously, this is a complete DB move by Fisher. Either say what this supposed "lie" was or keep your mouth shut.

It really doesn't matter what the lie was. If I am an executive, and one of my managers lies to me, he's lost my trust. If I am an employee, and my boss lies to me, he's lost my trust too.

I happen to know of a Fortune 500 company where the Executive Vice-President lied to the President. He was gone within three months.

"Titans' Fisher says Volek lied to himCoach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.........Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.
Seriously, this is a complete DB move by Fisher. Either say what this supposed "lie" was or keep your mouth shut.
I like Fisher, but I'm finding it hard not to agree with your statement. I don't think Volek has come out publicly and said anything yet, so why did Fisher fire the first salvo?

I can already hear the reporters licking their chops on this one..... asking every player in the locker room:

"Did Billy ever lie to you?"

"Would you say Billy is a non-truthful type of person?"

"Do you know what Billy lied about to coach Fischer?"

"Have you ever lied to the coach? Any coach?"

"Were you ever thrown under the bus by Mr. Volek?"

Way to create a media blitz with your detailed vagueness...... :banned:

So Billy said he was thrown under the bus and Fisher replies with no you threw us under the bus? Childish.

I think the Titans and Volek made some pretty poor career decisions with him. He chose to re-sign with them when some thought he was a good FA. They wanted him and didn't trade him when he commanded some good value. Looks like neither wound up with much of anything. Good luck starting over Rivers.

It really doesn't matter what the lie was. If I am an executive, and one of my managers lies to me, he's lost my trust. If I am an employee, and my boss lies to me, he's lost my trust too.I happen to know of a Fortune 500 company where the Executive Vice-President lied to the President. He was gone within three months.
yet players can beat their wives/girlfriends, get arrested for domestic abuse, get caught with drugs/guns etc., and coaches seem to have very little problem with it. Depends what the lie was. Could have been "No, I didn't nail your daughter, Jeff" or it could have been "I swear I won't throw to Drew Bennett 80% of the time."

OK, that is just weird. Looking over the Blogger at the time of the "Lie" I can find This Interview which includes:

Though his coaches have talked about his propensity for holding the ball too long and though the front office clearly has concerns about his durability behind a rebuilt offensive line, Volek generally bristles when either topic is raised.

"It seems like the only people who wonder about it is the media," he said. "Talking to my teammates and talking to fans, both plays (where I got hurt) were missed assignments. I can only control what I can control. I don't think people are too worried about it."
Now, he does essentially blame his teammates for getting hurt there. Maybe there was enough behind the scenes stuff going on that this was just a spark that lit up a flame. Or maybe he slept with Fisher's wife. Either is possible

Why bother talking about it now. If Volek lied and somehow did throw the organization under the bus he already knows it. Better to keep your mouth shut and take the higher ground...

WTF is Fisher thinking here? That your starting QB telling you a "lie" is reason enough to throw your entire season away?

Seriously, if I were a Titans fan, I wouldn't care if Volek banged Fisher wife and daughter at the same time and then pooped on them. Nothing can really justify throwing the entire organization under the bus for the whole season by starting Collins.

:loco:

from espn sportscenter, it sounds like volek just didn't commit himself and study/work out, whatever else. then lied/made excuses for not doing it.

fisher said there's a difference between being a backup and starting qb.

OK, that is just weird. Looking over the Blogger at the time of the "Lie" I can find This Interview which includes:

Though his coaches have talked about his propensity for holding the ball too long and though the front office clearly has concerns about his durability behind a rebuilt offensive line, Volek generally bristles when either topic is raised.

"It seems like the only people who wonder about it is the media," he said. "Talking to my teammates and talking to fans, both plays (where I got hurt) were missed assignments. I can only control what I can control. I don't think people are too worried about it."
Now, he does essentially blame his teammates for getting hurt there. Maybe there was enough behind the scenes stuff going on that this was just a spark that lit up a flame.
That's a very interesting find. Maybe this is the "lie" Fisher was referring to? Fisher knows that there were no missed assignments, yet Volek lied and said there were?

I heard the direct quote from Fisher today on Sirius. He said something to the effect that Volek wasn't truthful with regards to being in a particlar place or doing a particular thing, my assumption is that this had to do with skipping out on a practice (although it doesn't rule out relations with Mrs. Fisher).

He painted the picture that since early last year, Volek had assumed he was going to be traded, and has basically mailed it in, and this isn't the attitude and behavior that Fisher wanted out of his starting QB.

I say if that's true, the problem lies in communication and leadership, and Fisher has as much (if not more) fault in this.

It's kind of silly to even talk about this without knowing what the "lie" was.So let's speculate :D
What the heck could a starting QB lie about, that is such a big deal that he is excommunicated from the team?"the dog ate my playbook"

"I'm late because my car broke down"

"Seriously. I beat Vince in a 40 yard dash"

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" <------I'm going with this one.
Does Fisher have daughters?

WTF is Fisher thinking here? That your starting QB telling you a "lie" is reason enough to throw your entire season away?

Seriously, if I were a Titans fan, I wouldn't care if Volek banged Fisher wife and daughter at the same time and then pooped on them. Nothing can really justify throwing the entire organization under the bus for the whole season by starting Collins.

They threw the season away when McNair was kicked out of town. Volek is an absolutely horrible QB, only considered an NFL starting caliber QB by fantasy guys living in the past. Seriously, Volek was not going to make this any less painful a season.

Aside from that, I agree with most, Fisher shouldn't have said anything about this, but these are the times we live in.

from espn sportscenter, it sounds like volek just didn't commit himself and study/work out, whatever else. then lied/made excuses for not doing it.fisher said there's a difference between being a backup and starting qb.
This whole thing is rather obvious to me. Whenever a player is going to take the reigns and become an important starter (quarterback), he'll usually have a meeting with the coach. The coach in a situaiton like this is going to ask the player if he's willing to dedicate himself, work hard, do what it takes, if he's ready, ect, ect, ect, ect.Volek of course told Fisher that he's ready and willing to take the step.There's your "lie" people.

from espn sportscenter, it sounds like volek just didn't commit himself and study/work out, whatever else. then lied/made excuses for not doing it.fisher said there's a difference between being a backup and starting qb.
This whole thing is rather obvious to me. Whenever a player is going to take the reigns and become an important starter (quarterback), he'll usually have a meeting with the coach. The coach in a situaiton like this is going to ask the player if he's willing to dedicate himself, work hard, do what it takes, if he's ready, ect, ect, ect, ect.Volek of course told Fisher that he's ready and willing to take the step.There's your "lie" people.
Makes sense, but that wouldn't really be a lie. More of not following through on a commitment. Either way, nobody in the Nashville area thinks Volek is worth much. But, we're also thinking the management has serious issues.

It really doesn't matter what the lie was. If I am an executive, and one of my managers lies to me, he's lost my trust. If I am an employee, and my boss lies to me, he's lost my trust too.I happen to know of a Fortune 500 company where the Executive Vice-President lied to the President. He was gone within three months.
Of course it matters what the lie was. If you are saying that he "threw the organization under the bus", you damn well should have some proof or be ready to explain- explicitly- what you mean when you say that. Especially when you are putting such a lousy product on the field for fans who paid good money for tickets, merchandise, and other means of support.Not only does it make you look dumb to make these allegations then not say what the lies were, you are putting your own organization at a disadvantage. How? Because you just dealt him to someone who may or may not have known about this alleged character flaw. How many teams do you think will want to make deals with you in the future if you are intentionally dealing damaged goods? I have to agree with the previous poster who said that, until we can prove or disprove these allegations, this sounds like spin.

yet players can beat their wives/girlfriends, get arrested for domestic abuse, get caught with drugs/guns etc., and coaches seem to have very little problem with it.

Depends what the lie was.
Exactly. wtf w/all the Fischer bashing based on what probably amounts to not even half of half of the facts or circumstances of the situation. Hard to say how much or if he and/or Volek are or were of line but offhand I'd stake Fischer's rep over most players. In fact, as stated, he's known for sticking up for his players, so IMO odds are Volek really ####ed up. Or maybe Fischer has been getting so many "wtfo" kind of questions re. his handling of the situation (etc) that he finally had enough and just blew off some steam.The good news it can only cause more headaches for Butt Adams the owner, who deserves it all. People in HOU are probably having a great time w/this.

They threw the season away when McNair was kicked out of town. Volek is an absolutely horrible QB, only considered an NFL starting caliber QB by fantasy guys living in the past. Seriously, Volek was not going to make this any less painful a season.

Aside from that, I agree with most, Fisher shouldn't have said anything about this, but these are the times we live in.
Great point, you got me there. Volek isn't that good (better than Collins though), but yeah they threw the season away when the ran McNair out.In any case, the Titans are in deep doodoo.

any guesses as to what the titans could've gotten for volek 2 years ago?
1st round pick and a 1st round pick and a 1st round pick and a 1st round pick and a 1st roun pick...If you are not going to ever start a guy...and they weren't over McNair than you trade a guy and get value. The Falcons should be thinking hard about taking a 1st for Schaub, I'm sure clubs would part with it.

This is all very strange. I can't imagine why the Titans or Fisher would think that airing this kind of dirty laundry would help anything. If the "lie" related to Volek's commitment to the organization, so what? Let it go! If the "lie" was more personal or sensitive in nature, why the heck would you publicize it to the media? It is just going to emphasize how disfunctional this organization really is.

I wouldn't be surprised to eventually find out that Volek is somewhat to blame for Chris Brown running too upright.

:goodposting: Fisher is being dramtic by saying Volek "lied" to him - but basically what Volek did was not follow through on his commitment to the team. He was given the opportunity to become the leader of the offense, and obviously he didn't put in the effort that Fisher felt was necessary. You could argue that's as much Fisher's fault as it is Volek's... as the coach you should be evaluating your players constantly during the pre-season. Any sign of a slip or loss of focus by Volek should have been addressed and dealt with. You don't wait until the last week of the pre-season to sign a washed up quarterback with no knowledge of your offence and hand him the reigns.Fisher's hands are as dirty as Volek's on this one. If the team under-performs this year the managament of the organization (and the fans) have every right to call for Fisher's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: Fisher is being dramtic by saying Volek "lied" to him - but basically what Volek did was not follow through on his commitment to the team. He was given the opportunity to become the leader of the offense, and obviously he didn't put in the effort that Fisher felt was necessary. You could argue that's as much Fisher's fault as it is Volek's... as the coach you should be evaluating your players constantly during the pre-season. Any sign of a slip or loss of focus by Volek should have been addressed and dealt with. You don't wait until the last week of the pre-season to sign a washed up quarterback with no knowledge of your offence and hand him the reigns.Fisher's hands are as dirty as Volek's on this one. If the team under-performs this year the managament of the organization (and the fans) have every right to call for Fisher's job.
Just for the record Rhino...if Fisher were fired, he would be unemployed for about 5 seconds. In fact there would be coaches that some might think are safe that would be fired instantly if those teams could get jeff Fisher. The guy is one of the most respected coaches and defensive minds in the game. He has done the most with some of the least in the NFL. Tennessee never had a flashy WR, their RB was not flashy, the defense was solid but not that many Pro Bowl players year in and year out...he does a lot with a fairly disruptive front office. It's time for him to go somewhere he can make a real difference and get a team into the Super bowl that has some talent already. I'd like to see him take over a team like Dungy did that underperformed and see where he can take them.

Just for the record Rhino...if Fisher were fired, he would be unemployed for about 5 seconds. In fact there would be coaches that some might think are safe that would be fired instantly if those teams could get jeff Fisher. The guy is one of the most respected coaches and defensive minds in the game. He has done the most with some of the least in the NFL. Tennessee never had a flashy WR, their RB was not flashy, the defense was solid but not that many Pro Bowl players year in and year out...he does a lot with a fairly disruptive front office. It's time for him to go somewhere he can make a real difference and get a team into the Super bowl that has some talent already. I'd like to see him take over a team like Dungy did that underperformed and see where he can take them.
I would be very happy to have Fisher coaching the New York Football Giants.

Sure Volek "lied" he had to do "something" for the organization to blow the opportunity that he obviously felt like he had coming. It's an attempt to spin their disasterous QB season thus far.

I agree with Fisher that I would never start a guy who has demanded a trade on more than one occasion. Volek is an idiot who is afraid of competition. I wouldn't want a guy like that on my team, and certainly not at QB.

Without looking at the past, I heard Volek is 3-7 as a starter on the radio today. If I'm not mistaken, didn't he throw for 300+ yards in like 5 games in a row last year when McNair went down?What the heck happened?
10 games, 3,550 yards. 2x TDs to INTs. Career QB rating of 88.2. Now, I'm not saying he is actually a starting qb -- but...those are pretty good numbers...for anyone.

For those of you thinking Fisher is a great coach:

12 seasons coaching........4 winning seasons.

There.....chew on that for a while.
65-49 in the past 7 years. 1999 13 3 0 2nd AFC Central Won Wild Card Playoffs (Bills)

Won Divisional Playoffs (Colts)

Won Conference Championship (Jaguars)

Lost Super Bowl XXXIV (Rams)

2000 13 3 0 1st AFC Central Lost Divisional Playoffs (Ravens)

2001 7 9 0 4th AFC Central --

2002 11 5 0 1st AFC South Won Divisional Playoffs (Steelers)

Lost AFC Championship (Raiders)

2003 12 4 0 Lost Divisional Playoffs (Patriots)

2004 5 11 0

2005 4 12 0

I hate fair weather fans...I will take the downs of the above record, if I can have the ups of going to the Superbowl and the conference championship a couple times within a couple years timeframe. You must realize that hands down, this is one of the most talented, yet, YOUNG teams in the NFL. With that youth, comes inexperience, and bad plays, and yes, blow-outs.

The current coaching situation with the Titans is somewhat similiar to what Cowher and the Steelers went through in the late 90's: A solid coach with high expectations based on recent past performance, injuries, a mix of aging veterans replaced by rookies injuries caused a couple down seasons and rumors swirled that he should be replaced. It's tremendously short-sighted. (can you imagine what would have happened?) :wall:

So, let's have some patience. It's a long, 16 week season. And let the young ones season a bit...Let the team gel a bit. If Fisher can do what Cowher did, start showing improvement, and eventually bring the Lombardi, I am OK with that, aren't you?

Users who are viewing this thread