What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch (1 Viewer)

This is going to come down to Z not having a reasonable escape, his self-defense defense holds up and he walks.

For him to be convicted of Manslaughter if I have my legalese correct: he only needs to show "lawful justification" which between phoning in the suspicious activity to the NEN and given the wounds he sustained, and given his hands do not have as much as a scratch on him, he won't be convicted of Manslaughter either.

This never should have went to trial, what a waste of money.
I agree that Z probably walks, but this was not an accident. So there is enough evidence to try to send Z to jail, for the killing of this kid. You may not agree with the evidence and I even agree it is probably not enough, however if my son was killed walking home, I would want the DA to go after the guy that killed my kid.

Just for the fact that Z started this mess, Just like Z's family would be wanting Martin put in jail if the roles were reversed.

This is going to come down to Z not having a reasonable escape, his self-defense defense holds up and he walks.

For him to be convicted of Manslaughter if I have my legalese correct: he only needs to show "lawful justification" which between phoning in the suspicious activity to the NEN and given the wounds he sustained, and given his hands do not have as much as a scratch on him, he won't be convicted of Manslaughter either.

I agree that Z probably walks, but this was not an accident. So there is enough evidence to try to send Z to jail, for the killing of this kid. You may not agree with the evidence and I even agree it is probably not enough, however if my son was killed walking home, I would want the DA to go after the guy that killed my kid.

Just for the fact that Z started this mess, Just like Z's family would be wanting Martin put in jail if the roles were reversed.
It would be a more in interesting case if Martin was the one who killed Zimmerman. If the guy on top beating the guy on the ground ends up shooting the guy on the ground, self-defense might be a little harder to swallow. But even then, the fact that a gun was present in a fight between two people who don't know each other from Adam, it becomes a life or death situation for both parties. It still baffles me why anyone does not see this as a cut and dry self-defense case. This case is a waste of tax payers money and was driven by the race-baiters.

It would be a more in interesting case if Martin was the one who killed Zimmerman. If the guy on top beating the guy on the ground ends up shooting the guy on the ground, self-defense might be a little harder to swallow. But even then, the fact that a gun was present in a fight between two people who don't know each other from Adam, it becomes a life or death situation for both parties. It still baffles me why anyone does not see this as a cut and dry self-defense case. This case is a waste of tax payers money and was driven by the race-baiters.
Zimmy brought the gun to this party...hence his responsibility for the outcome .It was self defense and the guy who had to defend himself is dead . I would be 100 % behind Zimmy if this whole incident happened at Zimms truck...not a hundred or so yards away. If i saw a black bear walking in the woods behind my house and decided to go looking for it armed with a rifle and it attacked me in the woods ,thats MY fault....all i would have to do was stay in my house and call the cops and let THEM handle the bear. Im not comparing Trey to a wild bear , im saying in zimms case this is the same mind set. Dont go looking for no trouble and you wont find no trouble.

Zimmy brought the gun to this party...hence his responsibility for the outcome .It was self defense and the guy who had to defend himself is dead . I would be 100 % behind Zimmy if this whole incident happened at Zimms truck...not a hundred or so yards away. If i saw a black bear walking in the woods behind my house and decided to go looking for it armed with a rifle and it attacked me in the woods ,thats MY fault....all i would have to do was stay in my house and call the cops and let THEM handle the bear. Im not comparing Trey to a wild bear , im saying in zimms case this is the same mind set. Dont go looking for no trouble and you wont find no trouble.
Trayvon shouldn't have attacked someone he didn't know in the middle of the night in a state where it's legal to carry a firearm..

If you're walking in the forest, and you find a bear following you, if you turn around to confront it, and punch it in the face, when it was obvious you could have safely found your way home and gotten inside and locked the door, and you could have called the police on the way rather than talk to some girl on the phone, that's not the bears fault for having teeth..

Trayvon shouldn't have attacked someone he didn't know in the middle of the night in a state where it's legal to carry a firearm..

If you're walking in the forest, and you find a bear following you, if you turn around to confront it, and punch it in the face, when it was obvious you could have safely found your way home and gotten inside and locked the door, and you could have called the police on the way rather than talk to some girl on the phone, that's not the bears fault for having teeth..
Trey shouldnt HAVE to run home if hes minding his own business ...who the hell made zimmy the man in charge of peoples freedoms to move about this earth.

Trey shouldnt HAVE to run home if hes minding his own business ...who the hell made zimmy the man in charge of peoples freedoms to move about this earth.
He'd didn't have to run, he could have walked, he also didn't have to punch zimmerman in the nose or climb on top of him and beat him into the ground..

As the person in charge of neighborhood watch, Zimmerman was expected by his neighbors to watch out for suspicious activity.. That has nothing to do with "peoples freedoms".. If someone watches you, you gonna beat'm up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, the snitches get stitches argument. This was a gated community. They don't allow drug dealers and thugs to roam freely at night for 40 minutes looking at houses in the rain after a rash of break-ins. That's how it stays a gated community.

Ah, the snitches get stitches argument. This was a gated community. They don't allow drug dealers and thugs to roam freely at night for 40 minutes looking at houses in the rain after a rash of break-ins. That's how it stays a gated community.
Wasn’t Trayvon a guest in this gated community?

The people here who argue for Zimmerman accept his story as gospel. None of you have any idea if it's true. We don't know that Martin art tacked Zimmerman. We don't know that Martin was ever on top of Zimmerman (and please don't bring up "John"- the word of an anonymous guy to the newspapers is not proof)- we don't know that Zimmerman was in fear for his life. So please stop using these statements as if they are evidence. None of it is proven, or even necessarily probable at this point.

Here's what we know: Zimmerman reported Martin as suspicious for no apparent reason that has yet been determined. Zimmerman complained that these guys always get away. Zimmerman stepped out of his car and traveled 100 yards away from his car. There was a confrontation. Zimmerman fired one shot from his gun, which killed Martin.

Furthermore- what so many of you who are confident that Zimmerman will easily be acquitted fail to realize is that, unlike most murder trials, the burden of proof here is on the defense. The prosecution does not have to prove the facts of the case- that has already been acknowledged, the main fact being that Zimmerman shot Martin to death. Zimmerman is arguing self-defense, and he has to make the jury believe it. That's not going to be an easy task, given the circumstances. It seems easy for some of you because you guys WANT to believe Zimmerman's story (which BTW is pretty sad in itself). But the jury won't necessarily want to. Unless you're already a fan of Zimmerman for some unfathomable reason, his tale seems contrived and full of holes.

The people here who argue for Zimmerman accept his story as gospel. None of you have any idea if it's true. We don't know that Martin art tacked Zimmerman. We don't know that Martin was ever on top of Zimmerman (and please don't bring up "John"- the word of an anonymous guy to the newspapers is not proof)- we don't know that Zimmerman was in fear for his life. So please stop using these statements as if they are evidence. None of it is proven, or even necessarily probable at this point.

Here's what we know: Zimmerman reported Martin as suspicious for no apparent reason that has yet been determined. Zimmerman complained that these guys always get away. Zimmerman stepped out of his car and traveled 100 yards away from his car. There was a confrontation. Zimmerman fired one shot from his gun, which killed Martin.
Hasn't a forensic expert stated the Martin's hoodie had powder burns on it but his skin did not, pointing out the only way this happens is if the hoodie is hanging down and the shot comes from underneath; if that is testimony, it will be pretty hard for the defense to dispute multiple reports of Martin on top. Keeping your name shielded from the public, in a highly publicized case, and being "some anonymous guy" is not the same thing; some of your conclusions are just ridiculous Tim.

Hasn't a forensic expert stated the Martin's hoodie had powder burns on it but his skin did not, pointing out the only way this happens is if the hoodie is hanging down and the shot comes from underneath; if that is testimony, it will be pretty hard for the defense to dispute multiple reports of Martin on top. Keeping your name shielded from the public, in a highly publicized case, and being "some anonymous guy" is not the same thing; some of your conclusions are just ridiculous Tim.
Again, this is some guy on the internet. If a forensic expert states this in trial, and if it is not contradicted by another expert from the prosecution, then you'll have something. But it's all conjecture at this point. You don't KNOW any of it. You need to stop arguing it as if you know.

I think you have to be absolutely brain dead if you think Treyvon attacked zimmy unprovoked in a dark neighborhood.
I think Christo has said it repeatedly in this thread, that even if Zimmerman provoked the confrontation it doesn't negate that he could still be in fear for his life.
Christo's argument is fun and all for an internet forum, but if the jury comes to believe that Zimmerman provoked the confrontation, he will be convicted.

I think you have to be absolutely brain dead if you think Treyvon attacked zimmy unprovoked in a dark neighborhood.
I think Christo has said it repeatedly in this thread, that even if Zimmerman provoked the confrontation it doesn't negate that he could still be in fear for his life.
I am not so sure of that. I guess it depends on what actually happened. Did Zimmerman grab Treyvon and try and hold him? Did he brandish the gun to play billy bad ###? Fact is we will never know.

Christo's argument is fun and all for an internet forum, but if the jury comes to believe that Zimmerman provoked the confrontation, he will be convicted.
Not really that straightforward.

Tim, you do understand that part of the Judge's role in court is to see that emotion is taken out of a case (as it pertains to the law), all the way up to setting aside a jury's verdict. Listening to your emotional leanings and suppositions on human nature (the jury's and the participants) is maddening; your views are exactly what the judicial system is trying to prevent in a trial.

I am not so sure of that. I guess it depends on what actually happened. Did Zimmerman grab Treyvon and try and hold him? Did he brandish the gun to play billy bad ###? Fact is we will never know.
...and can't assume them either.

Yeah I totally understand that but the defense is somehow going to have to make the jury believe that Treyvon just walked up and started pounding on Zimmy and then reached for his gun. On the surface that is pretty far fetched.

Again, this is some guy on the internet. If a forensic expert states this in trial, and if it is not contradicted by another expert from the prosecution, then you'll have something. But it's all conjecture at this point. You don't KNOW any of it. You need to stop arguing it as if you know.
I asked the question because I did not feel like going back and locating this "expert". We don't KNOW any of it, you or I, since there has not been any breadth of testimony; is this really the point you want to make? BTW, we are all just some guy on the Internet.

Yeah I totally understand that but the defense is somehow going to have to make the jury believe that Treyvon just walked up and started pounding on Zimmy and then reached for his gun. On the surface that is pretty far fetched.
Not as far-fetched as a man displaying a gun being punched in the face, is for me to believe.

Tim, you do understand that part of the Judge's role in court is to see that emotion is taken out of a case (as it pertains to the law), all the way up to setting aside a jury's verdict. Listening to your emotional leanings and suppositions on human nature (the jury's and the participants) is maddening; your views are exactly what the judicial system is trying to prevent in a trial.
I don't think its emotional at all. The problem with Christos argument in this case is that Zimmerman has already given his version of events, in which he says that Martin confronted him and not the other way around. If it somehow turns out that this did not take place, then Zimmerman will be viewed as a liar, and in all liklihood convicted.

Yeah you can stop pretending you have any idea what you are talking about now.

Furthermore- what so many of you who are confident that Zimmerman will easily be acquitted fail to realize is that, unlike most murder trials, the burden of proof here is on the defense. The prosecution does not have to prove the facts of the case- that has already been acknowledged, the main fact being that Zimmerman shot Martin to death. Zimmerman is arguing self-defense, and he has to make the jury believe it. That's not going to be an easy task, given the circumstances. It seems easy for some of you because you guys WANT to believe Zimmerman's story (which BTW is pretty sad in itself). But the jury won't necessarily want to. Unless you're already a fan of Zimmerman for some unfathomable reason, his tale seems contrived and full of holes.
The evidence speaks for itself, the prosecution needs to disprove the defense's self defense claim, they will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that Z had a reasonable escape and failed to take it.

Zimmerman contacted the police before the incident. After the incident he told the police what had happened. The next day he did a detailed "walk through" demonstrating exactly what had happened. Through all of the investigations and forensic evidence, I haven't heard one part of Zimmerman's story to be proven not true. Why aren't we supposed to believe what he says?

The evidence speaks for itself, the prosecution needs to disprove the defense's self defense claim, they will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that Z had a reasonable escape and failed to take it.
With SYG I am not sure that a reasonable escape is enough.

I thought i read in this thread that they weren't using SYG in their defense. Is that not the case?

I don't think its emotional at all. The problem with Christos argument in this case is that Zimmerman has already given his version of events, in which he says that Martin confronted him and not the other way around. If it somehow turns out that this did not take place, then Zimmerman will be viewed as a liar, and in all liklihood convicted.
Not emotional; that is all that it is. You toss away Christo's statement of factual law as if it were an opinion, then you take supposition and emotion to conclude what the jury will do; classic.

Tim. Why do you disclaim John's testimony? Its not like he came forward once this event became galvanized. His testimony was provided the following day (I believe - based on the tape I heard). He reported Martin as suspicious because he fit the description of someone who was known to have broken into a house (i.e., he profiled Martin). Why wouldn't you consider the most likely scenario as plausable/probable?

I thought i read in this thread that they weren't using SYG in their defense. Is that not the case?
Yes, I know the are not using SYG as their defense but it is still FL law; I do not believe that Zimmerman was required to retreat even if he had a viable means to. The defense is using self-defense to portray Zimmerman as the victim, rather than the aggressor.

Why would you consider Martin initiating contact with Zimmerman as farfetched but not the other way around? I look at the guy with the bloodied nose, cuts on the back of his head and grass stains on his back as more likely to have been the recipient of the first punch. The guy on the ground is more likely to be the one who was hit first.

Its not probable to think treyvon just walked up and punched zimmy unprovoked on a dark street.
I agree but it is improbable to think that Trayvon punched Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had his handgun drawn. The provocation does not necessarily rule out that one could be in fear for his personal safety.

Why would you consider Martin initiating contact with Zimmerman as farfetched but not the other way around? I look at the guy with the bloodied nose, cuts on the back of his head and grass stains on his back as more likely to have been the recipient of the first punch. The guy on the ground is more likely to be the one who was hit first.
Wait, you tend to believe the guy who was contacting the police and trying to work with them over a guy who has had numerous run ins with the police over the past year? Why?

Zimmy has a little history with violence and cops as well
Only one of them was staying in the gated community because they had just gotten in trouble. The other one was on the phone with police while this was unfolding. But I digressed. I'm getting into circumstantial evidence that won't matter. It's just a reason why people may tend to believe GZ.

pittstownkiller said:
Jojo the circus boy said:
timschochet said:
This is the defense being used, I might have worded that wrong, the prosecution needs to prove this was not the case in order to refute the justifiable use of force to overcome the self-defense immunity.

776.041 (2) (a)

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE View Entire Chapter

[SIZE=10pt]776.041 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Use of force by aggressor.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]—[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt](1) [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt](2) [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt](a) [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt](b) [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.[/SIZE]
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.041.html

timschochet said:
pittstownkiller said:
timschochet said:
pittstownkiller said:
pantherclub said:
Everyone is just some dude on the news, or on the internet or in a forum, or "anonymous guy" except for you..

I find your take on the whole thing rather ridiculous..

Here's an example to simplify your thinking: A wacky, zany judge decides to skip opening statements and jump right into things. The defendant takes the stand. The prosecutor's first words are "You killed that guy! You shot him dead!" The defendant replies "Yes, I did. But it was in self-defense." The prosecution rests. The defense rests. The judge and the lawyers go play golf. So the prosecution got a confession to killing. They did not present any evidence whatsoever that it wasn't self-defense while the defendant didn't present any evidence that it was. Legally, how should the jury find? Forget what people would actually do in real life, as that's not important here. Forget what the moral thing to do is. Who wins?
I had posted this before to simplify matters.

timschochet said:
pittstownkiller said:
timschochet said:
pittstownkiller said:
pantherclub said:
Everyone is just some dude on the news, or on the internet or in a forum, or "anonymous guy" except for you..

I find your take on the whole thing rather ridiculous..
Of course you do. But from the beginning of this story, you've been rooting for George Zimmerman. You have repeated his story as if it were Gospel, you've accepted every aspect of it as true. That's why your statements on this case lack all credibility.

Here's an example to simplify your thinking: A wacky, zany judge decides to skip opening statements and jump right into things. The defendant takes the stand. The prosecutor's first words are "You killed that guy! You shot him dead!" The defendant replies "Yes, I did. But it was in self-defense." The prosecution rests. The defense rests. The judge and the lawyers go play golf. So the prosecution got a confession to killing. They did not present any evidence whatsoever that it wasn't self-defense while the defendant didn't present any evidence that it was. Legally, how should the jury find? Who has the burden of proof after murder has been proven? Forget what people would actually do in real life, as that's not important here. Forget what the moral thing to do is. Who wins?
If you're going to make this argument, you probably shouldn't use the word "murder." Just saying.

Here's an example to simplify your thinking: A wacky, zany judge decides to skip opening statements and jump right into things. The defendant takes the stand. The prosecutor's first words are "You killed that guy! You shot him dead!" The defendant replies "Yes, I did. But it was in self-defense." The prosecution rests. The defense rests. The judge and the lawyers go play golf. So the prosecution got a confession to killing. They did not present any evidence whatsoever that it wasn't self-defense while the defendant didn't present any evidence that it was. Legally, how should the jury find? Who has the burden of proof after murder has been proven? Forget what people would actually do in real life, as that's not important here. Forget what the moral thing to do is. Who wins?
If you're going to make this argument, you probably shouldn't use the word "murder." Just saying.
And yet again you ignore the point of the post, Who wins?

kentric said:
timschochet said:

Tim. Why do you disclaim John's testimony? Its not like he came forward once this event became galvanized. His testimony was provided the following day (I believe - based on the tape I heard). He reported Martin as suspicious because he fit the description of someone who was known to have broken into a house (i.e., he profiled Martin). Why wouldn't you consider the most likely scenario as plausable/probable?
I am not disclaiming his testimony because he hasn't given any testimony. Let's see if he shows up and trial and what he actually says. I absolutely agree with you 100% that IF he is a credible witness and states that Martin was on top of Zimmerman, it will be extremely difficult for Zimmerman to be convicted. But I have a strong feeling that the testimony, if it occurs, will be nowhere near that precise.

In fact, I am fairly certain that very little of this trial will unwind the way that Zimmerman's defenders here think it will...

I didn't ignore your post. If murder has been proven, the prosecution wins. There is no self-defense argument against murder.

Here's an example to simplify your thinking: A wacky, zany judge decides to skip opening statements and jump right into things. The defendant takes the stand. The prosecutor's first words are "You killed that guy! You shot him dead!" The defendant replies "Yes, I did. But it was in self-defense." The prosecution rests. The defense rests. The judge and the lawyers go play golf. So the prosecution got a confession to killing. They did not present any evidence whatsoever that it wasn't self-defense while the defendant didn't present any evidence that it was. Legally, how should the jury find? Forget what people would actually do in real life, as that's not important here. Forget what the moral thing to do is. Who wins?
I didn't ignore your post. If murder has been proven, the prosecution wins. There is no self-defense argument against murder.
:wall:

Remove that sentence...

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=646429

avoiding injuries said:
timschochet said:

Zimmerman contacted the police before the incident. After the incident he told the police what had happened. The next day he did a detailed "walk through" demonstrating exactly what had happened.Through all of the investigations and forensic evidence, I haven't heard one part of Zimmerman's story to be proven not true. Why aren't we supposed to believe what he says?
:goodposting:

to be fair, Z has told his story a number of times and there are inconsistencies which prosecution will probably focus on.

You have his NEN call

You have his original statement

You have his video walk-thru

You have his recorded interviews

It's pretty easy to find a few inconsistencies with his story but I feel they are all pretty minor.

avoiding injuries said:
timschochet said:

Zimmerman contacted the police before the incident. After the incident he told the police what had happened. The next day he did a detailed "walk through" demonstrating exactly what had happened.Through all of the investigations and forensic evidence, I haven't heard one part of Zimmerman's story to be proven not true. Why aren't we supposed to believe what he says?
:goodposting:
Is it?

The reason we aren't supposed to necessarily believe what he says is because he fired a gun and killed a man, and now he's motivated to keep himself out of prison. In such circumstances, I believe it is up to Mr. Zimmerman to prove what he says is true, and not the other way around. We as the public should begin highly skeptical of Zimmerman's story. So should the jury.

(Actually, we as the public should be MORE skeptical than the jury, since we know that he is already a proven liar under oath, and the jury will not be privy to this information.)

to be fair, Z has told his story a number of times and there are inconsistencies which prosecution will probably focus on.

You have his NEN call

You have his original statement

You have his video walk-thru

You have his recorded interviews

It's pretty easy to find a few inconsistencies with his story but I feel they are all pretty minor.
Even if there were no inconsistencies whatsoever, that wouldn't make his story any more plausible. All it would mean is that he was consistent in his lies.

Users who are viewing this thread