What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (4 Viewers)

About to have about the oddest season ever. 

League cup- out in the quarters

FA Cup - in the final

CL- In the final

League- 28w-8d-0L with a game in hand

And I won't win the league...Chelsea are 31-4-2 and play Brighton  for their last game :kicksrock:

I went ahead and bought the full version of FM20 and started a save with Ipswich. First season I won League One without much trouble, second season I'm sitting just outside the promotion places in the Championship at the new year and starting to get access to some decent players. And then... BREXIT!

The game randomly chooses between a number of Brexit scenarios, and I got the hardest one. All non-British players now require work permits. There's a points system to get them - you need 4, and anyone I can afford doesn't come close to getting any. This is gonna be a super fun save now. :lol: Thinking about starting over somewhere where the rules suck less.

I went ahead and bought the full version of FM20 and started a save with Ipswich. First season I won League One without much trouble, second season I'm sitting just outside the promotion places in the Championship at the new year and starting to get access to some decent players. And then... BREXIT!

The game randomly chooses between a number of Brexit scenarios, and I got the hardest one. All non-British players now require work permits. There's a points system to get them - you need 4, and anyone I can afford doesn't come close to getting any. This is gonna be a super fun save now. :lol: Thinking about starting over somewhere where the rules suck less.
I was working on signing a 20-year-old German goalkeeper right before Brexit, and his transfer went through anyway without any mention of a work permit. So I Googled a little and apparently there's a "bug" and my Brexit scenario doesn't actually get enforced.

Well, darn. What a shame. :oldunsure:

Ok, I got back into FM20 a few months back.  As per my usual, I started with a team well below the prem with the goal of trying to win the Prem with a no name team.

This time I started with Dorking FC, simply because the name was ridiculous. They are a semi-pro team playing in the 6th level of the English football pyramid (National League South).

I've put in 7 seasons, gaining promotion 5 times, and now Dorking are sitting in 5th in their first season in the Championship.  Obviously, I have no players left from the initial squad, but my captain, who doesn't play much because he's really not good enough, has been with me for 6 seasons, going from a part time contract to the captain of a team that has played in Wembley and in front of 50k fans. 

The jump from League 1 to the Championship is pretty big.  Teams that have payrolls inflated with parachute payments from seasons in the Prem... tough to go up against with a payroll 1/10th.

I did just sell a young Spanish right back for 2.5m that i picked up on a free when he was 17. He wanted CL football, which is kinda ridiculous as he signed for a League 1 outfit 2 seasons ago.  With that sale, the finances are secure and i can bring in more talented players. I didn't typically search for players on loan, and really only get free transfers.

Doubtful I can reach promotion this season, but I'm hoping Dorking can make the Prem next season. 

Oh, thankfully in my game, Brexit didn't happen, so I can sign those cheap Serbs and Portuguese players. 

FYI, my wife still hates this game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got back into FM20 a few months back.  As per my usual, I started with a team well below the prem with the goal of trying to win the Prem with a no name team.

This time I started with Dorking FC, simply because the name was ridiculous. They are a semi-pro team playing in the 6th level of the English football pyramid (National League South).

I've put in 7 seasons, gaining promotion 5 times, and now Dorking are sitting in 5th in their first season in the Championship.  Obviously, I have no players left from the initial squad, but my captain, who doesn't play much because he's really not good enough, has been with me for 6 seasons, going from a part time contract to the captain of a team that has played in Wembley and in front of 50k fans. 

The jump from League 1 to the Championship is pretty big.  Teams that have payrolls inflated with parachute payments from seasons in the Prem... tough to go up against with a payroll 1/10th.

I did just sell a young Spanish right back for 2.5m that i picked up on a free when he was 17. He wanted CL football, which is kinda ridiculous as he signed for a League 1 outfit 2 seasons ago.  With that sale, the finances are secure and i can bring in more talented players. I didn't typically search for players on loan, and really only get free transfers.

Doubtful I can reach promotion this season, but I'm hoping Dorking can make the Prem next season. 

Oh, thankfully in my game, Brexit didn't happen, so I can sign those cheap Serbs and Portuguese players. 

FYI, my wife still hates this game. 
That’s crazy, I chose Dorking once too.  Took them a few promotions before I got bored.  Still never completed my dream of lowest English league to winning a CL!

What tactics are you using?  I’ve never been able to manage 5 promotions in 7 years.  That’s impressive.  I might could make it happen with a few key restarts 

Football Manager 2020 is free for download for the next week.  The full game.  Free.  

Link
I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you for bringing this to my attention. 😉  Haven't played for a while (the 2015 version), and downloaded this and time is somehow vanishing once again.  Such an addictive game.

I'm now in season 5 with Ipswich, my first in the Prem. Off to a good start with 3 wins and 3 draws thru 6 matches. My 5-month furlough from my job just ended though, so I've been playing a lot less lately.

I still have 6 players who were with me at the start in League One, including two starters, but my favorite player right now is Thierry Henry-wannabe regen Kevin Henry. He's got the same last name, a lot of the same skills, and even kinda looks like him (present-day Thierry anyway, which is an odd look for a 19-year-old). So naturally he's on loan from.... Tottenham :lol: Hoping to sign him permanently but it's not looking real likely at the moment.

Ok, so I've got Dorking into the Prem in the 26/27 season.  I had to do it with 3 loan players from bigger clubs.  Finished 2nd in the Championship.

Thus far doing OK in the Prem: 2 W, 3 D, 1 L.  I have 4 players that start for me that are on loan.  My payroll is only 250k GBP, which is like 1/20th of Man City.  Lots of young talent on my team.  Average starter age is like 20.

I play a Gegenpress 5-1-2-2 with 2 Wing Backs in that 5.  The 1 is a DM (DLP), followed by 2 Mezzalas at the CM spots.  It really clogs up the attacking third for the opposition, which is necessary against bigger clubs that can out run my squad and have better technique. 

After a decent start in the Prem, I'm not really struggling.  The bigger teams are just kicking my ###, regularly beating my defenders one on one to create for themselves.  I've had multiple games where I've lost by 4+... not good for morale.  I'm in 16th, but only 2 points above the drop after 13 games.  Gotta hope there are 3 teams that suck more than Dorking, otherwise this will be a quick payday season and back down to Championship for me.

The finances are looking good though.  I still don't get jack from sponsorship or much match day revenue, but the TV rights are crazy money for a club that up until last season had never paid more than 500k for a transfer.   I did buy my first South American for more than 10m GBP though.  He's still pretty green, but hopefully he develops into a quality central midfielder or winger.

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked back in :bag:  but here I am... logo pack, face packs, kit packs and name fixes and off to more sleep deprived weeks.

What is it with this game>??!??!?

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked back in :bag:  but here I am... logo pack, face packs, kit packs and name fixes and off to more sleep deprived weeks.

What is it with this game>??!??!?
Lol. 

Dorking rebounded slightly and are 14th through 25 matches.  Gonna try to hold on to that prem money next season. 

Finished off the 2026-2027 season in 15th with like a -20 goal differential in the Prem.

This season (27-28) has been much better.  I'm currently in 9th after 24 games, but have 2 games in hand vs. those above me.  I'm fighting for a EURO Cup berth.  Some of my young prospects are really stepping up.

has anyone here ever played one save long enough that your manager is forced to retire? Rolling into Aug 2054 here and they keep only offering me 2 year contracts :lol:   I think it's a hint? 

PS, the USA has the best forward in the world. 24yo Casey de Vries scored 21 goals in 19 USA games. (he has 91 in three seasons at Liverpool) :lmao:

PPS, Poland won back to back world cups in 2042 and 2046.   :blink:

has anyone here ever played one save long enough that your manager is forced to retire? Rolling into Aug 2054 here and they keep only offering me 2 year contracts :lol:   I think it's a hint? 

PS, the USA has the best forward in the world. 24yo Casey de Vries scored 21 goals in 19 USA games. (he has 91 in three seasons at Liverpool) :lmao:

PPS, Poland won back to back world cups in 2042 and 2046.   :blink:
I think your simulation is broken unless Lewa makes an entire brood of studs.

I don't know how you do it.  I get to about year 10 and I'm done.  Ready to start over with a harder challenge.
Lol I get it. After a while I focus on player development and winning u23 leagues and tournaments.  I like the challenge of replacing players, too. Like right now I’ll have starting back line all under 24 so I’ll see how long I can keep them together.  Different things like that keep me interested. Also, like with the striker I have now it’s fun to run him into the ground and see what records he can break. Hard to get dudes like that. 

Football Manager 2024 Mobile (iOS/Android) is free for Netflix subscribers.

FM Mobile doesn't have the 3D match engine of the current PC or Touch versions but the Netflix release appears to be fully functional with the same set of licensed leagues and teams. I'm very early in but the UI appears to be much improved over the last time I tried the Mobile release (phone screens are bigger nowadays as well).

Users who are viewing this thread