What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys.com subscription (1 Viewer)

Disposable Hero

Footballguy
I used to buy magazines but found them useless with out of date material and offered $0 for my buck. So 3 years ago I deceided to pay & subscribe to a well respected FF internet site and have since won 3 championships in 2 years, so the money spent has paid off. But as usual I'm now looking at other options before I subscribe again. The other site was good but maybe there is better? With so many FF sites out there (fantasyguru, fantasyfootball.com, gridirongrumblings, fantasyfootball sharks etc, etc., it makes my head spin and they all claim to be the #1 FF site on the planet. I'v been a member here on the forum section and get some good info from that but I do like all the weekly content and tools you can use as well so i have no problem paying. I've read what you get with the subscription but maybe some respected members here can give more info to me that this is the site to subscribe to? I know it's personal preference but it's always nice to get some user reviews before purchasing. Thanks for you help in advance. :D

It might not be as evident now while the info is free, but the info you get when the season starts - daily updates, upgrades/downgrades, who to pick up, etc. - is worth the subscription price alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is it is worth every penny and then some.

The up to date stats, Projections and weekly newsletters are top notch.

I still buy a couple magazines early in the season. But those are "Library" items since I can't read FBG in there.

I think the applications (VBD, Draft Dominator, etc) more than pay for the subscription.

Then, there is the daily content each week.  I would encourage you to check out this one week for target info, as well as much other usefule info:  http://www.footballguys.com/05week17.php
Good call. The targets aspect is among the most important things to me - helps identify emerging WRs.

I used to buy magazines but found them useless with out of date material and offered $0 for my buck. So 3 years ago I deceided to pay & subscribe to a well respected FF internet site and have since won 3 championships in 2 years, so the money spent has paid off. But as usual I'm now looking at other options before I subscribe again. The other site was good but maybe there is better? With so many FF sites out there (fantasyguru, fantasyfootball.com, gridirongrumblings, fantasyfootball sharks etc, etc., it makes my head spin and they all claim to be the #1 FF site on the planet. I'v been a member here on the forum section and get some good info from that but I do like all the weekly content and tools you can use as well so i have no problem paying. I've read what you get with the subscription but maybe some respected members here can give more info to me that this is the site to subscribe to? I know it's personal preference but it's always nice to get some user reviews before purchasing. Thanks for you help in advance. :D
This recent thread on suggestions for improvement might sell you on the idea. Consider that we all had a chance to whine about anything we think is missing. It lists a lot of the reasons some of us value the service...http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=241582

if I'm not mistaken, along with all the info a subscription gives you, the subscription gives you a spot in the $50,000K fantasy football contest. An added bonus, just for subscribers.

I think the applications (VBD, Draft Dominator, etc) more than pay for the subscription.

Then, there is the daily content each week.  I would encourage you to check out this one week for target info, as well as much other usefule info:  http://www.footballguys.com/05week17.php
Good call. The targets aspect is among the most important things to me - helps identify emerging WRs.
I still go back and look at the targets from last year to get a better feel for some of the situations. The targets section is a great tool.

This site will easily get you at least 5 championships in 2 years. The heck with that other site and your measly 3 championships :confused:

2 out of 3 years? I would stay where your at...Why change? :2cents:
Well for one reason the other site has increased it's fees and l'll actually be getting less this year than last year as far as tools etc. Second maybe this site has better writer's, offers more bang for my buck, has more useful features etc., etc. Third, sometimes change is good, you know try something different. I'm not familiar with all the features/tools the site has to offer so some info from members who've used them may sway me to subscribe.

A question I have for Joe, or a mod, is how the MLB lawsuit against fantasy baseball sites might impact this site? I would think it won't have a great impact, since it seems that FBG falls under the larger definition of journalism and many of the tools discussed (though I am not a member so I go from hearsay) are strictly statistics related. But the league contest might go out the window. Has Joe or David consulted an attorney on this?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll expand on my question.

A question I have for Joe, or a mod, is how the MLB lawsuit against fantasy baseball sites might impact this site? I would think it won't have a great impact, since it seems that FBG falls under the larger definition of journalism and many of the tools discussed (though I am not a member so I go from hearsay) are strictly statistics related. But the league contest might go out the window. Has Joe or David consulted an attorney on this?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll expand on my question.
Here is a good thread on this topic: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...opic=225491&hl=

Hi Velcro,Yes, two of my closest friends are attorneys (one specializing in copyright / intellectual property law which is primarily what the MLB suit pertains to). FBG and other information services like us are easily out of the scope of what they're looking at. We fall into the journalism area.

J

I've been a member for 2 years (paid member).

All the information here in the forums are free of course, but for the price I pay, I get all weekly information such as:

weekly targets, rushing/passing matchups (don't recall if those are free or members only) as well as the updates to the Draft Dominator (I think that's what it is called). There's also a lot more information but these are what I remember the most cause I use these the most.

I've played fantasy football for 5 years. The first 3 years I didn't do so well.

The last 2 years (took 2nd - my first yr as a member, and then took 1st last yr) were amazing as FBG helped me place and win my league.

I would highly recommend signing up.

I have joined a couple times. The info is good. My only complaint is I have a little trouble navigating to find what I want. For the money though, I would say this site is as good as any.

The site is great I have not subscribed this year yet but plan on doing so.

The cheatsheets and the articles alone are easily worth the price.

There are only two sites I suscribe to nowadays. This one and another I won't mention, out of respect for FBG.

The long and short of it though is that it's only $20.00.

If you can't afford the $20 to see for yourself all that FBG has to offer, then pass.

I won't go on about what you get for the money...that is all well documentedI'm into my mid teen's f'in around w/this "game"...Spuddy Buddy (the Couch Potatoe) has been at it as long as anybody (20+ yrs), and we choose to hang around this place...

...not sure that is an indorsement, or an indicment!

seriously...pony up and play along---you'll be glad you did

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!! :D It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied. It is well worth the money. :thumbup:

I also figure the money helps in keeping the board up and running, and that alone would be worth it.

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material. I think that is a drawback. :2cents:

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!!  :D   It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied.  It is well worth the money.  :thumbup:

I also figure the money helps in keeping the board up and running, and that alone would be worth it.

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material.  I think that is a drawback.  :2cents:
My only real beef with FBGs :goodposting: Other than that this site is top notch for info and weekly features.But like anything else it's all what you do with the info/tools that they provide you with right ;) :yes:

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!!   :D    It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied.  It is well worth the money.   :thumbup:

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material.  I think that is a drawback.  :2cents:
My only real beef with FBGs :goodposting:
This has been discussed quite a bit. Making the forum exclusive to subscribers would reduce the number of viewpoints and contributions, which (with a few exceptions) is not a good thing.

I have played Fantasy Football now for 9 years. I have run a very competitive league for 7 years. In the past 7 years I'v had the best reg season record a couple times, but never won it all in the playoffs, and had a few years that I was borderline playoffs. I had been a lurker and poster here a FBG for a few years, but never paid for the subscription. Last year I ponyed up the subscription fee. I'm not sure if it was a coincedence or not, but I led the League in scoring, finished with a division win, #2 seed in playoffs, and won the League Title, so for me, it was well worth it.

How's this for a reason...A season or two ago I was talking ff with a buddy of mine who commishes our league. I mentioned something about some player to which he responded, "Where do you get your information?"

(No, I did not tell him where :) )

if you decide not to join i dare you to go to the assistant coach fourm and join an all FBG's league. you won't win that one. that is gaurenteed!

About 7 years ago or so, I had just bought my first computer and hadn't really begun to explore the internet as of yet (OK I'm slow to catch on when it comes to technology). Anyway, I was reading a FF mag one day and I saw an add for Cheatsheets.net, so I checked it out and honestly I have never gone to any other FF website in the past seven years. Why? Because FBGs has everything one could ask for in a FF website. So many tools, articles and different viewpoints from the 20+ people who contribute to the site. There's much info, there's really no need to go anywhere else. Not to mention, the message boards rocks.

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!!   :D    It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied.  It is well worth the money.   :thumbup:

This has been discussed quite a bit. Making the forum exclusive to subscribers would reduce the number of viewpoints and contributions, which (with a few exceptions) is not a good thing.
What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that. Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J

What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that. Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J
J & zamboni.I think nerangers point slipped by both of you guys unnoticed.

He did not suggest make the sharkpool pay only.

He suggested adding another forum, that would only accessible to paid members.

That way paying members could cut & paste and discuss to their hearts content, any & all pay articles.

J

That way paying members could cut & paste and discuss to their hearts content, any & all pay articles.
Hi, Thanks but I understand his point exactly. What it would do is fracture the current Shark Pool. I understand it would be additional. I just am super hesitant to fracture what we have here now. Thanks though and I'll keep it under consideration.

J

I still go back and look at the targets from last year to get a better feel for some of the situations. The targets section is a great tool.
Nothing against this site but targets are readily available for free at multiple other places. I wouldn't call having targets information a selling point.

Nothing against this site but targets are readily available for free at multiple other places. I wouldn't call having targets information a selling point.
Hi hoops,Do you have a link for these multiple other free sites? I don't know any other site that has them in a format as user friendly as ours and as current. We get our data from our game recap writers watching the games live and reporting the data. There are some sites that try to pull the data from the play by play feed but that is often not as accurate as watching the play yourself.

Thanks.

J

Hi hoops,Do you have a link for these multiple other free sites? I don't know any other site that has them in a format as user friendly as ours and as current. We get our data from our game recap writers watching the games live and reporting the data. There are some sites that try to pull the data from the play by play feed but that is often not as accurate as watching the play yourself.

Thanks.

J
The stuff here is formatted really well. I've subscribed in the past and very well could again this year. I know I've seen targets at fftoday just off the top of my head and they were pretty easy to go through. Can't speak for accuracy though. You guys very well may have it there. :thumbup:

Thanks.

J
The stuff here is formatted really well. I've subscribed in the past and very well could again this year. I know I've seen targets at fftoday just off the top of my head and they were pretty easy to go through. Can't speak for accuracy though. You guys very well may have it there. :thumbup:
Thanks hoops. Thanks for the business in the past and I hope you sign up again this season. J

J

Hi, Thanks but I understand his point exactly. What it would do is fracture the current Shark Pool. I understand it would be additional. I just am super hesitant to fracture what we have here now. Thanks though and I'll keep it under consideration.

J
Makes sense.

J

J
Makes sense.
Thanks bigscore. I really do see both sides though. I'll keep it on the back burner. Thanks.J

The tools (Draft Dominator, Lineup Dominator, Trade Dominator, etc)are well worth it. The weekly content is outstanding. Now, if only Joe and the crew could get the weekly updates in a little earlier, :P This is a great site, and I ponied up this year for the 3 year plan, and may not subsribe to that other site (have subscribed to both in the past.) Keep up the great work guys.

I almost did not sign back up this year....there was just too much information to read!!! :D It was easy to feel overwhelmed by all of the information that was supplied. It is well worth the money. :thumbup:

My only real complaint is that there not a forum for those that are subscribers to discuss the paid material. I think that is a drawback. :2cents:

J

J
Makes sense.
Thanks bigscore. I really do see both sides though. I'll keep it on the back burner. Thanks.J
A subscriber FFA wouldn't hurt anyone though, right? :whistle:

J

J
Makes sense.
Every year were hear this same debate. I can relate to both sides! As an avid reader of the message boards I do not want them to change or become restricted or segregated. FBG's has the best free flowing information regarding fantasy football on the web(imo). Joe, be very cautious in changing them.

As a subscriber, I would like to see a board bonus! What that should be? A few suggestions:

How about a lower Member No. for subscribers? :popcorn:

No....how about specials Limited Edition Smilies? :)

Ok,....how about a boat? :eek:

Private tutorial on how these boards work? :wall:

Av tar immunity! :stalker:

Secret board decoding glasses. :nerd:

No? What ideas do you have?

2 out of 3 years? I would stay where your at...Why change? :2cents:
Well for one reason the other site has increased it's fees and l'll actually be getting less this year than last year as far as tools etc. Second maybe this site has better writer's, offers more bang for my buck, has more useful features etc., etc. Third, sometimes change is good, you know try something different. I'm not familiar with all the features/tools the site has to offer so some info from members who've used them may sway me to subscribe.
What I like about FBG's is that they don't have the BS tiers that other sites have, trying to squeeze every penny out of you for an overpriced service.

If you need to give this much thought to a $20 investment, you have much bigger issues to worry about.

What zamboni said. It's something we continue to look at each year. I definitely see reasons why it'd be good. But I just love the Shark Pool the way it is and I'm super hesitant to do anything that would fracture the NFL information that flows here. A "subscribers only" forum would be devastating to the Shark Pool. It'd be cool for those in it. But really bad for the current Shark Pool. And I'm just super hestitant to do that.

Not saying never. Just not this year. Thanks.

J
Joe,Do not create a subscriber only forum. I suspect this thought has already run through your head, but it is the best hook you have towards drawing in potential new subscribers (such as myself). 2 separate forums would really kill the non-subscriber one since it seems like the most active posters are already subscribers and would likely limit their postings to the exclusive forum. If that were to happen, an FFToday refugee like myself would have stopped by, then swum away. Instead, I'm now likely to subscribe.

If you need to give this much thought to a $20 investment, you have much bigger issues to worry about.
Speaking for myself, it's not the amount of money that people hesitate over - it's the concern for whether they're getting fair value. If you go into a store and buy a soda for $2, then walk over a block and see them giving it away for free, you don't lament the lost $2 - you're pissed that you feel like a chump.

the weekly projections and waiver wire report were awesome last year. Last season was my first time subscribing, and i will probably do it again. The tools are great as well. (although draft dominator told me to take Andre Johnson with the first pick of my keeper league because i already had 2 RB's) :bag:

I highly recomend this site to anyone who isnt in my main league :ph34r:

Users who are viewing this thread