What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For Those of you with the #1 pick(10 teams) (1 Viewer)

Mik789fl

Footballguy
Just wondering what your strategy was,did you go Wr/Wr at 2 and 3 or Wr/Rb or did you grab Gates and the best player available? I've seen several thoughts on this. What's yours? Or if you've already drafted what did you do?

In a 12 team league, I went ocho-cinco 2nd round and then had to take bulger (fifth qb taken) round three. From there I picked several RBs with high-upside/risk. I ended up with studs (in my opinion) at each position and not a great deal of depth. If any of my mid-late rounders pan out, then I should be fairly competitive.

12 team ppr league:

1) Tomlinson

2) Reggie Wayne

3) Antonio Gates

4) Caddy

5) T Jones

6) Santonio Holmes

7) Berrian

ended up with a decent team, though we start 3 WRs and Holmes/Berrian are a bit unproven. Didn't take a QB till round 12 -- too late, guys were grabbing backup QBs at that point and I had to settle for Favre. Will be interesting.

I went with a WR/WR stud theory with LT, and came out pretty good I think: :thumbup:

10 team PPR league that starts 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 FLEX, 1 TE, K, D

1. LT

2. Harrison

3. Steve Smith

4. MBIII

5. Lee Evans

6. Fred Taylor

7. Tony Romo

8. Lendale White

9. Vernon Davis

10. Jay Cutler

11. Devery Henderson

12. Denver D

13. Bo Scaife

14. Adam Veniatari

15. MIchael Turner

16. Roydell Williams

My weekly lineup will be:

QB Romo

RB: LT, MBIII or Fred Taylor-

WR's: Smith, Harrision, Evans

TE: Vern Davis

K: Veni

D: Denver

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really high on Benson and Jacobs this year, so my draft worked out exactly as I planned and I couldn't be happier. I created a run on RBs after taking Benson/Jacobs at my first Turn. As a result, Walker and Evans fell right to me at the end of the fourth.

10 Team PPR w/Flex

1. LT

2. C.Benson

3. B.Jacobs

4. J.Walker

5. L.Evans

6. T.Romo

7. K.Winslow

8. S.Holmes

9. J.Kitna

12 team went WR/WR with LT

mcnabb, leinart

LT, Green, JJ, Turner, Peterson (chi)

CJ, TO, VJax, Marshall

Watson

kicker

Vikings

i think pairing LT with WR/WR is the way to go.

12 team went WR/WR with LTmcnabb, leinartLT, Green, JJ, Turner, Peterson (chi)CJ, TO, VJax, MarshallWatsonkickerVikingsi think pairing LT with WR/WR is the way to go.
This is the scenario I've seen the most,LT with 2 stud receivers,even in 12 team leagues it looks like the way to go.

12 team went WR/WR with LTmcnabb, leinartLT, Green, JJ, Turner, Peterson (chi)CJ, TO, VJax, MarshallWatsonkickerVikingsi think pairing LT with WR/WR is the way to go.
This is the scenario I've seen the most,LT with 2 stud receivers,even in 12 team leagues it looks like the way to go.
It all depends on how the first two rounds unfold. Just rate your top 25 and take whichever 2 fall to you. Too many people go in with 'a plan'. In tough leagues, you will 15-18 RBs gone, at least 1 QB and a few WRs, so the play is usually WR-WR, but if a good RB falls to you here you should probably take him.

1st pick in 12 team qb,wr,wr,wr,rb,rb,te,wr/te,wr/rb,k,td

starters

romo

harrison

wayne

driver

lt

j.jones

Daniels

s.holmes

Gostkowski

Chicago

my draft was a strange one, 7 qb gone before my 2nd pick and top 3 wr gone also. here is what i ended up with(12 team dynasty start up)

1-LT2

2- rudi(he was still there so i had to)

3-traded

4-roy williams

a big run an rb's

5- jerrious norwood

6-braylon edwards

7-kitna

8-brandon jackson

9-cotchery

and so on

my starting lineup looks like this

kitna/rex/harringtin(playing matchups but kitna should be my best guy)

LT2,rudi

roy,braylon,cotchery(also have brandon marshall,demetrius williams,reggie williams,and boston as a flyer)

heath miller/LJ smith(playing matchups)

stover

SD

i wanted a "better" qb but had to adjust to the draft. and even though i traded a good wr pick i am happy with this team. i can live with my wr's with the addition of rudi. i couldnt pass up the consistint scoring and play he gives every week. i went in planning to go rb,wr,qb,wr,rb,rb, but the new guys changed that idea fast.

my draft was a strange one, 7 qb gone before my 2nd pick and top 3 wr gone also. here is what i ended up with(12 team dynasty start up)1-LT22- rudi(he was still there so i had to)3-traded4-roy williams a big run an rb's5- jerrious norwood6-braylon edwards7-kitna8-brandon jackson9-cotcheryand so onmy starting lineup looks like thiskitna/rex/harringtin(playing matchups but kitna should be my best guy)LT2,rudiroy,braylon,cotchery(also have brandon marshall,demetrius williams,reggie williams,and boston as a flyer)heath miller/LJ smith(playing matchups)stover SDi wanted a "better" qb but had to adjust to the draft. and even though i traded a good wr pick i am happy with this team. i can live with my wr's with the addition of rudi. i couldnt pass up the consistint scoring and play he gives every week. i went in planning to go rb,wr,qb,wr,rb,rb, but the new guys changed that idea fast.
Your right,Rudi available when he was,I'd love to duplicate that.

there's a thread pinned at the top with good discussion on this

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=330183

I think basically it depends how the 2nd round unfolds in your league. Between keepers in my league and who might go, the RB's I'm looking at are maybe Ronnie Brown, Edge, Portis. But also TO/CJ/Smith/Harrison might all be gone as well. So if I go WR-WR it'll be Wayne/Fitz or Wayne/Roy, both which I like. All three of those RB's are on my list of guys I'd take at that turn, but none make me feel good inside (and may not be there anyway), Portis is probably the best bet, only because his upside is worthy of easily winning your league for you paired with LT2. Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis in the 4th would be good insurance in that case.

Hope that helps!

there's a thread pinned at the top with good discussion on this

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=330183

I think basically it depends how the 2nd round unfolds in your league. Between keepers in my league and who might go, the RB's I'm looking at are maybe Ronnie Brown, Edge, Portis. But also TO/CJ/Smith/Harrison might all be gone as well. So if I go WR-WR it'll be Wayne/Fitz or Wayne/Roy, both which I like. All three of those RB's are on my list of guys I'd take at that turn, but none make me feel good inside (and may not be there anyway), Portis is probably the best bet, only because his upside is worthy of easily winning your league for you paired with LT2. Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis in the 4th would be good insurance in that case.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Raidersfan. You guys are right,don't go in narrow minded,see what happens and go from there,with 10 teams there SHOULD be 2 stud wr's available,but as I've learned in the past you never know what may happen. If a solid rb is still there you have to consider him with one of the wr's.

10 teams, start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 flex, all TDs 6 pts

this is a local league so the picks were a bit unorthodox compared to any online mock drafts or whatnot

it went for me:

LT

Chad Johnson (1st WR taken, huge run on RBs, already 4 QBs taken)

Torry Holt

Marc Bulger (run on WRs, seems like all RBs are forgotten)

Lee Evans

Brandon Jacobs

Deuce McAllister

Jerious Norwood

Adrian Peterson (MIN)

Michael Turner

Ladell Betts

14 Team PPR league. My draft went like this (first 8 rounds):

Tomlinson

Javon Walket

TJ Housh

Ahman Green

Todd Heap

Fred Taylor

Braylon Edwards

Favre

Manning went #2, then mostly RB's, nothing left by the time it finally came back to me at #28. I think Green and Fred are value picks, so if either generates reasonable RB2 numbers I should be competitive. First time I've done a 14-teamer. Amazing how much thinner the talent is!

10 Team League (just joined this year, don't know most of the people)

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 flex RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K...No PPR, all TDs 6 pts

01.01 LaDainian Tomlinson

02.10 Terrell Owens

03.01 Chad Johnson

04.10 Clinton Portis

05.01 Cedric Benson

06.10 Calvin Johnson

07.01 Philip Rivers

08.10 Jason Witten

09.01 Jamal Lewis

10.10 Deion Branch

11.01 Ben Roethlisberger

12.10 Ben Watson

13.01 Santonio Holmes

14.10 Denver

15.01 Michael Turner

16.10 Olindo Mare

pretty surprised at how a lot of the draft went (clinton and cedric at the 4/5 turn? MJD was also still there to 05.09)...think should have grabbed a better TE and waited on Rivers, most had taken their first QBs so he likely would have been there at the next pick, so could have had Rivers and Shockey/Gonzo/Heap instead of Rivers/Witten...in this case seemed as if going WR/WR paid off really well as I would have taken any of those backs at 2/3...

Antsports 10 teamer.

Draft almost done...

1.01 RB LaDainian Tomlinson SDC

2.10 WR Chad Johnson CIN

3.01 WR Terrell Owens DAL

4.10 RB Clinton Portis WAS

5.01 QB Drew Brees NOS

6.10 RB Jamal Lewis CLE

7.01 RB Marion III Barber DAL

8.10 WR Jerricho Cotchery NYJ

9.01 WR Bernard Berrian CHI

10.10 QB Ben Roethlisberger PIT

11.01 TE Ben Watson NEP

12.10 DT Minnesota Vikings MIN

13.01 TE Bo Scaife TEN

14.10 RB Brian Leonard STL

15.01 RB Tony Hunt PHI

16.10 haven't drafted yet, but whatever Kicker is left...

Or one could trade their pick. In my 14 team PPR league one of my best friends loves to trade and is offering up his 1-7 pick. I pick LT but then maybe this? He's thinking about it. Or should I just chill?

I pick 1/7

He picks 2/7

He picks 2/14 and 3/1

I pick 3/7

He picks 4/7

He picks 4/14, I pick 5/1

He picks 5/7

I pick 6/7

And then it's just back to normal from then. I'd be less tempted if it was a lower 1st round pick but 1/7 is pretty spicy.

Leave your link and I'll answer yours.

Users who are viewing this thread