What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forum super lurker, occasional poster seeks feedback: Graduation Dinne (1 Viewer)

Bodeine

Footballguy
So, in quick summary, the ex and I will be celebrating our teenage son's high school graduation in a couple of days.

Many family members are travelling to attend (like 90% hers). We are entertaining everyone at a restaurant that evening.

Out of the blue, I get a text message from her saying that is customary for the Father to foot the bill.

HUH? I normally expected that we would split the thing (event with mostly her relatives).

This, I never heard of. Anyone know anything about this? Appreciate the feedback.

I think she's making it up to get you to pay for a kick ### party for her family. :shrug:

ETA -- By the way, good job making her your ex

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you afford it? If so, just do it. Last thing you need is that #### poisoning the mind of your son about you being a ####.
#### that. They're divorced and it's 90% her family. Use that money to send your kid on a trip, or buy him a new laptop for college.

Bodeine said:
Out of the blue, I get a text message from her saying that is customary for the Father to foot the bill.
Is there a way you can send the :lmao: to her via text? Do we have the technology for this? No situation has called for the :lmao: more than this situation.

If that doesn't work, I'd simply tell her that you will not be abiding by that "custom." Mix in some profanity.

fred_1_15301 said:
I think she's making it up to get you to pay for a kick ### party for her family. :shrug:

^^^
Of course she's making it up. There's no "customary" thing about an occasion where customarily the parents remained married. There's no custom about how to handle finances regarding kids after divorce.

The only "customary" thing a father pays for is a daughter's wedding into another family. There's no custom here.

Paying 50% when it's mostly her side is more than generous enough, and you'd be a saint to even entertain that idea. Footing the whole bill is ridiculous.
She's a savvy arguer. Even it being mostly her family, she'd say it's his (son's) family. So, I could see where 50% would be appropriate.

It'll most likely run into the $300-$400 range.

Tell her you're splitting the bill 50/50, and there is no customary practice for divorced couples who are going out to dinner for their sons graduation.

fred_1_15301 said:

^^^
Of course she's making it up. There's no "customary" thing about an occasion where customarily the parents remained married. There's no custom about how to handle finances regarding kids after divorce.

The only "customary" thing a father pays for is a daughter's wedding into another family. There's no custom here.

Paying 50% when it's mostly her side is more than generous enough, and you'd be a saint to even entertain that idea. Footing the whole bill is ridiculous.
She's a savvy arguer. Even it being mostly her family, she'd say it's his (son's) family. So, I could see where 50% would be appropriate.

It'll most likely run into the $300-$400 range.
50/50 seems reasonable if that is the normal arrangement and you are cool with having the party overall.

Tell her you're splitting the bill 50/50, and there is no customary practice for divorced couples who are going out to dinner for their sons graduation.
This. And then invite some of your buddies to help drive her half of the bill up. You'll pay more, but it'll be worth it.

I like the 50/50 idea. Cut her in half.

That reminds me, I spent a lot of time at the local bowling alley in high school, there was a girl that got passed around and if someone got some from her, we called it "picking up the 7-10 split"

As Chris Rock said "This is a good one. Women go to court and get some money because she is accustomed to this and used to that. What about what a man is accustomed to? “I’m accustomed to f***ing her 4 times a week. Now I at least should be able to f**k her twice a week. I mean, she can have the alimony but I want some pu$$y payment.”

Bodeine said:
So, in quick summary, the ex and I will be celebrating our teenage son's high school graduation in a couple of days.

Many family members are travelling to attend (like 90% hers). We are entertaining everyone at a restaurant that evening.

HUH? I normally expected that we would split the thing (event with mostly her relatives).

This, I never heard of. Anyone know anything about this? Appreciate the feedback.
1. Agree with her.

2. Book the dinner at the most expensive place you can find.

3. Show up and encourage everyone to order whatever they want, and several bottles of wine.

4. Eat your meal quickly.

5. Ask your son to help you grab his gift out of the car.

6. Leave.

7. Laugh uproariously.

8. Text your ex a vid of you laughing uproariously.

9. Drop your kid off and find some strange.

10. Text your wife a vid of you banging said strange.

11. Laugh uproariously.

Bodeine said:

And I'm sure this is why she's the ex. 50/50 Don't pay for the ex's family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodeine said:

1. Agree with her.

2. Book the dinner at the most expensive place you can find.

3. Show up and encourage everyone to order whatever they want, and several bottles of wine.

4. Eat your meal quickly.

5. Ask your son to help you grab his gift out of the car.

6. Leave.

7. Laugh uproariously.

8. Text your ex a vid of you laughing uproariously.

9. Drop your kid off and find some strange.

10. Text your wife a vid of you banging said strange.

11. Laugh uproariously.
Yeah...this is definitely the shark move. Disregard my reply.

Ummm.... the father pays the bill when the parents are married. Otherwise they split it or everyone pays their own tab.

people coming for a HS graduation? this is an accomplishment? a full blown dinner party?

oh, the custom Also is that you are married and pay from household money.

custom....what balls

Users who are viewing this thread