What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freeman and CJ Anderson (1 Viewer)

maf005

Footballguy
These two rbs are, in my opinion, the most mispriced assets in dynasty FF right now. I completely get it, Freeman shredded the league for about 6 weeks and finished as a top rb in nearly every format. CJ Anderson was ineffective to the point of being benched for Ronnie Hillman.

But right now, I would take Anderson over Freeman for dynasty and redraft. Denver's offense is noticeably more effective with Anderson versus whoever else is running. A "difference maker" at rb is rare in the NFL given how many backups performed so well when entrenched starters went down. Freeman's efficiency plummeted after week 9 for whatever reason, but still had lots of value as a receiver. He offers replacement level skills as a runner though. Given his talent and situation, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's in a large timeshare next season with Coleman, severely limiting his upside potential. Coleman starting wouldn't shock me either.

Recommendation: sell Freeman before training camps open for top 5 rb value, because that won't last through Ausust

Sold Freeman for 2 future 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in dynasty. His value will never be higher and I am decided to cash in since I have Anderson, Miller and L. Bell and soon will have either Crowell or Watson as my #4. As much as I like his skill set, I don't like Shanahan and his production tailed off as the O sucked with QB Killer Shanahan.

Anderson is an FA btw. There's no guarantee they resign him although I hope they do.

Sold Freeman for 2 future 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in dynasty. His value will never be higher and I am decided to cash in since I have Anderson, Miller and L. Bell and soon will have either Crowell or Watson as my #4. As much as I like his skill set, I don't like Shanahan and his production tailed off as the O sucked with QB Killer Shanahan.

Anderson is an FA btw. There's no guarantee they resign him although I hope they do.
Hillman is a fa. Anderson is not. At least according to the nfl.com list

Seems Anderson is a restricted FA. That's good so he will stay, which is what I was hoping for.

....All are unrestricted free agents, along with Miller, a 2011 first-rounder. Three non-drafted 2013 acquisitions -- RB C.J. Anderson, ILB Brandon Marshall and OLB Lerentee McCray -- are restricted free agents.

These two rbs are, in my opinion, the most mispriced assets in dynasty FF right now. I completely get it, Freeman shredded the league for about 6 weeks and finished as a top rb in nearly every format. CJ Anderson was ineffective to the point of being benched for Ronnie Hillman.

But right now, I would take Anderson over Freeman for dynasty and redraft. Denver's offense is noticeably more effective with Anderson versus whoever else is running. A "difference maker" at rb is rare in the NFL given how many backups performed so well when entrenched starters went down. Freeman's efficiency plummeted after week 9 for whatever reason, but still had lots of value as a receiver. He offers replacement level skills as a runner though. Given his talent and situation, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's in a large timeshare next season with Coleman, severely limiting his upside potential. Coleman starting wouldn't shock me either.

Recommendation: sell Freeman before training camps open for top 5 rb value, because that won't last through Ausust
Got to say I disagree with almost all of this post.

Freeman did not have some dynamic 6 games. He was actually consistent all year. He played 15 games and failed to hit double digits 3 times, one of those games was week one when he was not starting and another one came in the game he got concussed.

Granted he was not as dominant the back stretch of the season as the first half but after week 7, which I assume covers the 6 week hot stretch you mentioned, he was the #3 RB in PPG.

Fun stat part 1: if had zero carries last year and functioned solely as a receiver he outscored Anderson in PPG. Fun stat part 2: if his total fantasy points from rushing were cut in half last year he'd have finished as RB10 in PPR. That's about his floor to me.

I don't think Freeman is a dynamic runner but I've never thought a guy like Forte was either and look at the fantasy career he's carved out because he's an elite receiver. That's what Freeman is to me, an elite receiving option who along with Bell and Forte are in my opinion the 3 best pass catching RB's in the NFL. That skill set is not leaving him anytime soon.

He might have just had his best fantasy season, I know my expectations for him next year will be more in the 17 PPG range than 21+ he did this past season but that gets you in top 5 range.

Seems Anderson is a restricted FA. That's good so he will stay, which is what I was hoping for.

....All are unrestricted free agents, along with Miller, a 2011 first-rounder. Three non-drafted 2013 acquisitions -- RB C.J. Anderson, ILB Brandon Marshall and OLB Lerentee McCray -- are restricted free agents.
RFA, so he's staying most likely. Hillman possibly leaving I didn't include in the OP because I don't see him as much of a threat. We've seen him in a featured role, and it's not good.

I'm with you OP.. If you can get a haul for Freeman, I think you take it and CJA has been a guy I've been looking to buy. I was able to land him in the 9th round of startup just last week.

With that said, it will be interesting to see if a "Sell Freeman" mentality takes hold with dynasty owners. I suspect that it may and with that I could see a potential value the other way.

Of Course you could have said the same thing about Anderson after the end of last season. There were not many better over the second half of 2014 which led to him being a first round pick in this years draft. Hillman was not considered a threat by anyone heading into the season this year, yet he has had a major impact on the Denver backfield.

Two years ago we had the same exact hype about Monte Ball

Fool me Once.... Fool me twice...

im not saying you are wrong about Freeman ...although to be honest, i dont see people hyping him as a top 5 pick... if anything i see more people talking about proceeding with caution.. unfort id prob say the same for the Denv backfield as the past 3-4 years have led to headaches trying to forecast their bellcow pre-season

Freeman did not have some dynamic 6 games. He was actually consistent all year. He played 15 games and failed to hit double digits 3 times, one of those games was week one when he was not starting and another one came in the game he got concussed.

Granted he was not as dominant the back stretch of the season as the first half but after week 7, which I assume covers the 6 week hot stretch you mentioned, he was the #3 RB in PPG.

Fun stat part 1: if had zero carries last year and functioned solely as a receiver he outscored Anderson in PPG. Fun stat part 2: if his total fantasy points from rushing were cut in half last year he'd have finished as RB10 in PPR. That's about his floor to me.

I don't think Freeman is a dynamic runner but I've never thought a guy like Forte was either and look at the fantasy career he's carved out because he's an elite receiver. That's what Freeman is to me, an elite receiving option who along with Bell and Forte are in my opinion the 3 best pass catching RB's in the NFL. That skill set is not leaving him anytime soon.

He might have just had his best fantasy season, I know my expectations for him next year will be more in the 17 PPG range than 21+ he did this past season but that gets you in top 5 range.
Eh I feel like adequate is a better descriptor for Freeman's receiving ability. The situation allows him to put up elite numbers.

Not factored in, look at the ATL 2016 schedule. 2015 - You can't get an easier schedule than NO twice, SF, the NFC East and the AFC South. They faced 8 of the worst run Ds. Next year they get SEA, ARI and STL, DEN, OAK and (Jeckyl & Hyde) KC. Much tougher schedule.

Broncos feast on the AFC south.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not factored in, look at the ATL 2016 schedule. 2015 - You can't get an easier schedule than NO twice, SF, the NFC East and the AFC South. They faced 8 of the worst run Ds. Next year they get SEA, ARI and STL, DEN, OAK and (Jeckyl & Hyde) KC. Much tougher schedule.

Broncos feast on the AFC south.
Sounds like more action in the passing game next year for Freeman.

Eh I feel like adequate is a better descriptor for Freeman's receiving ability. The situation allows him to put up elite numbers.
I don't even think his situation is good for putting up receiving numbers. Shanahan system has never been huge for high volume reception numbers for RB's.

Freeman finished as the number 1 RB in PPR. CJ Anderson has never achieved anything close to this.

There are few players that have the potential to finish the season as the number 1 RB. The fact that Freeman actually has done that is significant. He didn't just "tear up the league for four games", he won the PPR RB crown for the entire season.

Now are there some concerns with Freeman? Absolutely. I personally wouldn't pick him as the number 1 RB headed into 2016.

But comparing him to CJ Anderson? That's insane. It's quite possible that the Broncos get another RB in 2016 and that Anderson never again enters a season as the primary ball carrier.

I assume that the reason for this thread is some sort of "what should I do" trade scenario masked as a real thread, as there really isn't any other reason that anyone would compare these two random players.

I'm with you OP.. If you can get a haul for Freeman, I think you take it and CJA has been a guy I've been looking to buy. I was able to land him in the 9th round of startup just last week.

With that said, it will be interesting to see if a "Sell Freeman" mentality takes hold with dynasty owners. I suspect that it may and with that I could see a potential value the other way.
There's definitely value the other way. Freeman is a slam dunk top 5 RB in dynasty right now. If an owner is selling him and doesn't value him that highly, pounce.

Freeman finished as the number 1 RB in PPR. CJ Anderson has never achieved anything close to this.

There are few players that have the potential to finish the season as the number 1 RB. The fact that Freeman actually has done that is significant. He didn't just "tear up the league for four games", he won the PPR RB crown for the entire season.

Now are there some concerns with Freeman? Absolutely. I personally wouldn't pick him as the number 1 RB headed into 2016.

But comparing him to CJ Anderson? That's insane. It's quite possible that the Broncos get another RB in 2016 and that Anderson never again enters a season as the primary ball carrier.

I assume that the reason for this thread is some sort of "what should I do" trade scenario masked as a real thread, as there really isn't any other reason that anyone would compare these two random players.
I only compared them because they are at an interesting intersection in terms of over and under-valued fantasy running backs. There isn't a bigger value gap between two rbs in which I would take the less valued guy.

and lol no there is no hidden agenda behind this thread. I own Freeman in one league where the team is completely stacked, and Anderson in zero leagues.

There's definitely value the other way. Freeman is a slam dunk top 5 RB in dynasty right now. If an owner is selling him and doesn't value him that highly, pounce.
Far from a slam dunk. The exact same phrase could have been used for DeAngelo Williams in 2008. In 2009, the Panthers decided to go full blown stupid with their RBBC and instead of letting one RB handle the whole series, they flipped RBs on every few plays. Williams never repeated anything close to his 20 TD season. I know because I owned him and had to watch the stupidity unfold. He didn't get back to his old self until he replaced Bell this year even though he never averaged below 4.1 ypc. There is no guarantee he duplicates this past season vs a tougher schedule and the same idiot as OC.

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

Far from a slam dunk. The exact same phrase could have been used for DeAngelo Williams in 2008. In 2009, the Panthers decided to go full blown stupid with their RBBC and instead of letting one RB handle the whole series, they flipped RBs on every few plays. Williams never repeated anything close to his 20 TD season. I know because I owned him and had to watch the stupidity unfold. He didn't get back to his old self until he replaced Bell this year even though he never averaged below 4.1 ypc. There is no guarantee he duplicates this past season vs a tougher schedule and the same idiot as OC.
The big difference here is that Williams was tearing it up while Freeman is JAG.

I mean i agree freeman is overvalued and anderson is probaly undervalued, but no, they arent close.
What percentage would you guys put on Freeman being the starting rb next year for Atlanta?

I'm really curious to know the shark pool consensus on this because I probably view it as a <50% proposition.

>50% easily. Coleman has to convince coaches he's gotten over his fumbling issues, and Freeman is still the much better receiver.

Whether Freeman is starting by season's end is a lower %.

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

The big difference here is that Williams was tearing it up while Freeman is JAG.
The difference is Williams operated in a RBBC in both 2008 AND 2009 and Freeman operated as a pure feature back after he got the job.

menobrown said:

I'm guessing he's talking about his actual performance, not fantasy. Freeman had a great stretch, but most of his games stunk- he didn't crack 3.5 ypc in his last 5 games and he averaged 3.1 in over his last 7 games. I also disagree that he's an "elite" receiver- he led the league in drops by a RB (granted, he had a lot of targets, but still).

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

The difference is Williams operated in a RBBC in both 2008 AND 2009 and Freeman operated as a pure feature back after he got the job.
No, it's what I said. Williams was (still is) a much better runner than Freeman. Guys like Freeman get replaced all the time.

I mean i agree freeman is overvalued and anderson is probaly undervalued, but no, they arent close.
What percentage would you guys put on Freeman being the starting rb next year for Atlanta?

I'm really curious to know the shark pool consensus on this because I probably view it as a <50% proposition.
Barring injury, 100%
No way. He lost a training camp battle to a rookie. Said rookie also had significantly better rushing stats and just looked more explosive on the field. But yea, agreed with the above poster that fumbling will be Coleman's biggest obstacle to playing time.

What percentage would you guys put on Freeman being the starting rb next year for Atlanta?I'm really curious to know the shark pool consensus on this because I probably view it as a <50% proposition.
I would put serious money on YES if it were an option.

Freeman>>>>coleman. And i do not see them investing in the RB position.

I say barring injury or something really crazy, 95%

Barring injury, 100%
No way. He lost a training camp battle to a rookie. Said rookie also had significantly better rushing stats and just looked more explosive on the field. But yea, agreed with the above poster that fumbling will be Coleman's biggest obstacle to playing time.
Don't forget that, when he lost that battle to a rookie Freeman was hurt, and when said rookie came back from his own injury, Coleman did not reclaim the job, or even significant playing time, from Freeman.

Barring injury, 100%
Don't forget that, when he lost that battle to a rookie Freeman was hurt, and when said rookie came back from his own injury, Coleman did not reclaim the job, or even significant playing time, from Freeman.
good point. Coleman did have the snap advantage in training camp because of Freeman's injury.

Regarding Anderson, I've seen him used as an example of a reason not to bank on a rb who looks good for a single (or in his case, less than) year. But to me it's obvious that there he was facing an injury, a highly ineffective qb that defenses didn't respect, and an offensive line that hadn't come together as a unit in the new scheme. The injury is worrisome. Some rbs seem to have an ability to play through nagging injuries, while others not so much. Maybe this was a particularly brutal ankle sprain, idk. The qb situation should improve as well as the line. Kubiak rbs Always do well, with the first 10 weeks of this season being one of the most glaring exceptions. I'll bet on the reverse moving forward.

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

No, it's what I said. Williams was (still is) a much better runner than Freeman. Guys like Freeman get replaced all the time.
Well it was a RBBC both of those seasons in Carolina that were referenced and believe it or not, as crazy as this sounds, there is more to being a good running back then just your ability as a runner.

RB's do get replaced all the time, though if we put this in a quantifiable number like fantasy points I'd like to know the last RB that had this many fantasy points as Freeman and got benched to start the next season? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

I have no idea why we are using the 2008 Panthers as an example but if we want to use examples of other teams that have absolutely nothing do do with the 2016 Falcons I'll go with the 2014 Steelers.

That year Bell was cast as feature runner but people were not high on him, a lot of people called him pedestrian. They signed Blount and people go so worried that Bell actually fell to mid third round of high stakes redrafts. That to me is a better example of this situation than what happened in Carolina in 2008 but neither have anything to do with the 2016 Falcons.

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

Well it was a RBBC both of those seasons in Carolina that were referenced and believe it or not, as crazy as this sounds, there is more to being a good running back then just your ability as a runner.

RB's do get replaced all the time, though if we put this in a quantifiable number like fantasy points I'd like to know the last RB that had this many fantasy points as Freeman and got benched to start the next season? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

I have no idea why we are using the 2008 Panthers as an example but if we want to use examples of other teams that have absolutely nothing do do with the 2016 Falcons I'll go with the 2014 Steelers.

That year Bell was cast as feature runner but people were not high on him, a lot of people called him pedestrian. They signed Blount and people go so worried that Bell actually fell to mid third round of high stakes redrafts. That to me is a better example of this situation than what happened in Carolina in 2008 but neither have anything to do with the 2016 Falcons.
Why are you talking about a RBBC? For starters, Williams had more carries as part of that committee than Freeman had as the "pure feature back", but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. The point is, it's surprising when a guy who had a 5.5 ypc gets his workload cut, it isn't (or at least, it shouldn't be) when it's a guy with a 4.0 ypc. Obviously there is more to being a good RB than just running the ball, but it's certainly near the top of the list.

Likewise, why do you keep talking about fantasy? No one is denying that he had a great fantasy season, what we're trying to figure out is if it's likely to continue longer term. When's the last time a RB with a career ypc under 4 has been considered a top 5 FF RB? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

I have no idea why we're using the 2008 Panthers either- I didn't bring them up, I just replied by saying it wasn't a good comp. Bell gives reason to be slightly optimistic, but that's because he completely transformed his body and thus his game. It's certainly possible that Freeman improves as well (even though he's had 2 seasons of mediocrity as opposed to 1 for Bell), but as of right now, he's JAG. JAG's don't last long (as stud RBs) in the NFL.

lod01 said:
shader said:
tone1oc said:

Why are you talking about a RBBC? For starters, Williams had more carries as part of that committee than Freeman had as the "pure feature back", but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. The point is, it's surprising when a guy who had a 5.5 ypc gets his workload cut, it isn't (or at least, it shouldn't be) when it's a guy with a 4.0 ypc. Obviously there is more to being a good RB than just running the ball, but it's certainly near the top of the list.

Likewise, why do you keep talking about fantasy? No one is denying that he had a great fantasy season, what we're trying to figure out is if it's likely to continue longer term. When's the last time a RB with a career ypc under 4 been a consensus top 5 FF RB? I'll hang up and listen...

I have no idea why we're using the 2008 Panthers either- I didn't bring them up, I just replied by saying it wasn't a good comp. Bell gives reason to be slightly optimistic, but that's because he completely transformed his body and thus his game. It's certainly possible that Freeman improves as well (even though he's had 2 seasons of mediocrity as opposed to 1 for Bell), but as of right now, he's JAG. JAG's don't last long (as stud RBs) in the NFL.
In 2008 DWILL got 56% of carries allocated to RB's and in 2009 that percentage dropped to 45% but mainly because he missed 3 games, his actual carries per game was almost equal to 2008 and his total touches were higher in per game.

Even if you discount the 70+ passes Freeman caught, even if you discount fact he did not start week one, missed a game with a concussion and left a game in what I think was first quarter with a concussion he still got 69% of the total carries allocated to RB's.

One of those situations above is clearly a RBBC and the other is clearly not and arguing otherwise is waste of my time, your time, and anyone reading this thread.

I don't keep talking about fantasy, I think I mentioned it once and I prefaced my comment on using fantasy as a measuring stick already. It is quantifiable, it removes opinion like saying this guy is a JAG, he won't last long, yada, yada, yada.

And oh, the other reason I would talk about fantasy is this is actually a fantasy football website and this is thread discussing Freeman's fantasy stock versus Anderson.

To answer your question off the top of my head I would say Walter Payton, Leveon Bell and Ladianian after their first seasons where all RB's who at that point in their careers averaged less than 4 YPC and went on to have really nice fantasy careers. Or is this a game where you play with stats and now I need to go hunt down someone who fits your criteria who has played exactly two seasons, averaged under 4 YPC, played in last 20 years, etc, etc, etc? Ok, then I'll give you Forte, hope that works.

Sold Freeman for Eifert, DGB, and two 3rd's. I sold my other share of him for Sammy Watkins. I'm very happy with both trades.

Freeman sucks ###. Always has. If i owned him I'd put him on the block and trade him to the highest bidder.

CJ Anderson is a fraud too. With the QB situation up in the air next year I'd be trying to trade him as well.

In 2008 DWILL got 56% of carries allocated to RB's and in 2009 that percentage dropped to 45% but mainly because he missed 3 games, his actual carries per game was almost equal to 2008 and his total touches were higher in per game.

Even if you discount the 70+ passes Freeman caught, even if you discount fact he did not start week one, missed a game with a concussion and left a game in what I think was first quarter with a concussion he still got 69% of the total carries allocated to RB's.

One of those situations above is clearly a RBBC and the other is clearly not and arguing otherwise is waste of my time, your time, and anyone reading this thread.

I don't keep talking about fantasy, I think I mentioned it once and I prefaced my comment on using fantasy as a measuring stick already. It is quantifiable, it removes opinion like saying this guy is a JAG, he won't last long, yada, yada, yada.

And oh, the other reason I would talk about fantasy is this is actually a fantasy football website and this is thread discussing Freeman's fantasy stock versus Anderson.

To answer your question off the top of my head I would say Walter Payton, Leveon Bell and Ladianian after their first seasons where all RB's who at that point in their careers averaged less than 4 YPC and went on to have really nice fantasy careers. Or is this a game where you play with stats and now I need to go hunt down someone who fits your criteria who has played exactly two seasons, averaged under 4 YPC, played in last 20 years, etc, etc, etc? Ok, then I'll give you Forte, hope that works.
I'll try one more time. Who cares about a RBBC? I never said Williams wasn't in a RBBC, sure he was, but it's irrelevant, so you're right that it's a waste of time. We're talking about talent here, and Williams was and still is more talented than Freeman.

Lol, you've been talking about fantasy the whole time, go back to your first post- the entire thing was about fantasy. I understand that this is a fantasy football site, and again, no one is denying that he had a great fantasy season (he won me a championship), but when we're trying to figure out his value next year and beyond, you have to decide whether you think his prior fantasy performance is sustainable over the long haul. It's much more likely to be for guys who are very talented, not so much for guys who are not. You'll also notice that I never compared his value to Anderson, I was just commenting on another comparison to the DWill situation.

No, this is the game where I try to find comps that are actually relevant. Comparing a guy who barely had a single 1000 yard season in college that was drafted in the 4th round as the 9th RB taken to those guys has to be a joke, right?

Like I said, it's certainly possible that he improves as a runner, but up until now he is and always has been JAG, and the list of guys who began their careers with a ypc below 4 after 2 seasons and fizzled out is much, much longer than the list of guys that didn't.

Freeman sucks ###. Always has. If i owned him I'd put him on the block and trade him to the highest bidder.

CJ Anderson is a fraud too. With the QB situation up in the air next year I'd be trying to trade him as well.
What took you so long? Took you to post 34 to talk up the greatness of Freeman.

What took you so long? Took you to post 34 to talk up the greatness of Freeman.
I normally scroll over insignificant players threads.

Ive done 4 initial dynasty drafts so far (past month) with Freeman being the 4th RB taken in each one. He seems to go middle round 3 where CJ is going quite a bit later in start ups.

It's not even preseason and their values are already converging. The latest rotoworld redraft ranking has Anderson higher as well

Redraft (and also dynasty I assume) rankings are completely reversed from when I wrote the OP. I hope a shark or two was able to profit from the difference :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread