What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friendly reminder to Self and anyone else (1 Viewer)

cowboyz1

Footballguy
It's week 5. Every year I take a hard look at my lineups and begin to tinker. I have to remind myself that the NFL season is broken down into two halves. Actually I would say it's broken down into thirds now that the new CBA is in effect. In years past I recall panicking about guys early when I knew all along that veteran players that have proved themselves in big games down the stretch always produce if not hurt. I recall Hines Ward was like that. He would be mediocre half the year and then in crunch time stepped up with double digits week in and week out.

The way the season is going now that teams can only practice a few times a month in pads and the lack of two a days, makes some teams get off to slow starts while others get off early then fade once teams break down their weak players. Giants are a perfect example this year. It took three weeks into the season for the new offense to take hold. A few extra practices due to the installation of a new offense would have helped. People who panicked on Eli and Cruz are paying the price.

Some players I believe will step up as the games get bigger are:

Drew Brees I know he's doing pretty good but the picks are out of character.

Shane Vereen

Joique Bell once Calvin gets back and take pressure off the running game

Pierre Thomas

Alshon Jeffery been solid but I suspect he will become the go to as he gets healthier.

Wes Welker once teams try to take away JT and DT here comes WW.

Tom Brady

LeSean McCoy Not sure if the O line is really that bad or just he is just off. I believe they get it figured out.

Heath Miller

Jordan Cameron was hurt so should get better as he heals

Alfred Morris if their QB grows into the position instead of out of it. Teams are keying on the running game as Cousins learns to play.

Michael Crabtree

Frank Gore

All of these players have proven performance but are struggling so far this year. As the games get bigger most on this list will step up and make plays for their respective teams. I just don't like the way the teams are practicing or the short weeks with Thur games. Just seems like too much to try and heal, travel, game plan and play in three days.

The first third of the season we see teams that are ahead of the curve while others are behind it. Green Bay, NY Giants, NE, SF are all off to slow starts and once they find themselves they will be in contention with some consistent offensive stats. Don't forget that the second half of the season when it's all on the line, the guys that did it before tend to do it again. Don't give up on them. I know it's tough because, you can't win the league in the first 5 weeks but you can surely come awfully close to losing it. Sometimes I have to remind myself to hold on and not tinker to much trying to get cute with 1st or second year flashes and end up watching the vet I traded away go for 5-90 and a TD or 22-95 and a score, week in and week out down the stretch. Did that with Hines Ward a few years back and swore I would never do that again. Good luck and if you have any players you think are going to be strong down the stretch please post.

I have to remind myself of my 5 rules

Rule #1 roster players on teams that score points....

Rule #2 roster players on playoff teams when ever possible

Rule #3 rookie running backs must learn to block before they can help me on Sundays

Rule #4 roster players that have done it before avoid flyers.

Rule #5 You really don't know who you have until week 7 and beyond

I read this to myself before every draft and again about this time of year. It makes ignoring James Jones all that much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, count me as one who panicked on Eli. That's one I'd like to have back. Dropping him after the Lions game.

Your rules have some fundamental goodness to them, but there are exceptions. For example rule 1. Every team has players that score points, you just have to grab the right one. Rule 2 is great but can't take effect til the midway point of the season or later. You may find yourself having to trade for playoff contenders' players down the stretch. Rule 3 is sound but rule 4...you need to take a flyer sometimes, just knowing on who and when is key.

I wholeheartedly agree with rule 5. You gotta let things play out early in the season and be aware of things such as new offenses, etc. Don't panic is the key. Stay calm :)

Shane Vereen

All of these players have proven performance but are struggling so far this year.
Vereen has never had more than 635 total combined yards in a season and has never been higher than #41 in fantasy performance.

The talent is tantalizing for sure, but "proven performance" is a teensy bit of an exaggeration.

I like your concepts - but have to add the following consideration - to get through the first third you NEED the soft pressure players who may do stuff early - but then the types of guys you listed are the ones that you need to carry it home.

I am becoming in a believer in not worrying about bye weeks when drafting - and cross that bridge when you come to it. I screw myself by having these 1 week bye filler guys who have a great matchup in the week I drafted them to cover a bye. Much better to just worry about the by week when it comes and have a better overall roster.

Shane Vereen

All of these players have proven performance but are struggling so far this year.
Vereen has never had more than 635 total combined yards in a season and has never been higher than #41 in fantasy performance.

The talent is tantalizing for sure, but "proven performance" is a teensy bit of an exaggeration.
Fair, he is a baller though. Never stayed healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread