What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FX Thursdays "You're the Worst" & "Married". (1 Viewer)

This show is dark as ####. Managed to get a hold of the end of season 1 and it's my #1 show every week now. There's only so much you can do with a degenerate couple show, they've done a fantastic job with it.

Seriously, I don't watch much TV, but this week's You're the Worst - "LCD Soundsystem" was the best episode of anything that I have seen in a long, long time.

It looks like AV Club, at least, agrees - http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/phenomenal-youre-worst-takes-hard-look-losing-your-227967

Let’s get this out of the way: “LCD Soundsystem” is a phenomenal episode of television. It functions as a discrete, stand-alone story about the natural doubts and disappointments of aging, and how established ideals can collapse with just the briefest moment of honesty. Two weeks ago, I said that “There Is Not Currently A Problem” was You’re The Worst’s best episode, and I mostly stand by that. It’s the best episode that uses the entire ensemble and allows fixed characterizations to bounce off each other to powerful effect. But “LCD Soundsystem” is something else, an episode that completely shattered my expectations of what the series was capable of doing. It’s comparable to a subtle, aching short film that lingers in your heart and mind long after it’s over.

Seriously, I don't watch much TV, but this week's You're the Worst - "LCD Soundsystem" was the best episode of anything that I have seen in a long, long time.

It looks like AV Club, at least, agrees - http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/phenomenal-youre-worst-takes-hard-look-losing-your-227967

Let’s get this out of the way: “LCD Soundsystem” is a phenomenal episode of television. It functions as a discrete, stand-alone story about the natural doubts and disappointments of aging, and how established ideals can collapse with just the briefest moment of honesty. Two weeks ago, I said that “There Is Not Currently A Problem” was You’re The Worst’s best episode, and I mostly stand by that. It’s the best episode that uses the entire ensemble and allows fixed characterizations to bounce off each other to powerful effect. But “LCD Soundsystem” is something else, an episode that completely shattered my expectations of what the series was capable of doing. It’s comparable to a subtle, aching short film that lingers in your heart and mind long after it’s over.
It was certainly an interesting episode. It was not, however, at all funny.

Agreed.

Pretty good stuff. Greenwald made a point recently on one of his podcasts that a lot of the real, true drama on TV takes place on comedies like Transparent or You're The Worst (which he loves). I mean how dramatic is CSI: New Orleans, really.

Too bad that only like 45 people are still watching. I'm afraid this show is going to meet the same fate that Married just did.

yeah my wife was like, when will they go back to funny.

Pretty good stuff. Greenwald made a point recently on one of his podcasts that a lot of the real, true drama on TV takes place on comedies like Transparent or You're The Worst (which he loves). I mean how dramatic is CSI: New Orleans, really.

Too bad that only like 45 people are still watching. I'm afraid this show is going to meet the same fate that Married just did.
What happened to married?

FX has opted not to renew comedy series Married for a third season. Both Married and You’re The Worst last year were picked up for second seasons based on FX brass’ faith in the creative. But ratings have been soft, with Married‘s recently concluded second season ranking as the lowest-rated FX series so far this year, down sharply from last year. Its Live+Same Day averages were 410,000 viewers, down 40% from Season 1, and 0.19 rating in 18-49, down 46%. In Live+3, the Season 2 finale drew 593,000 viewers and 388,000 adults 18-49.

You’re The Worst is still airing its second season. Its ratings have been pretty similar to Married‘s, which should raise an alarm, though the relationship comedy has been a critical darling and runs on FXX, compared with the more established FX for Married.

Created by Andrew Gurland, Married starred Nat Faxon and Judy Greer as a long-time married couple dealing with kids, finances and a declining sex life. The series co-starred Brett Gellman as well as Jenny Slate, who switched from a regular to a recurring role in the second season after landing her own pilot at FX. Sarah Burns was added as a new regular in Season 2.

Married joins fellow FX comedy Comedians, which was recently canceled after one season.

FX has opted not to renew comedy series Married for a third season. Both Married and You’re The Worst last year were picked up for second seasons based on FX brass’ faith in the creative. But ratings have been soft, with Married‘s recently concluded second season ranking as the lowest-rated FX series so far this year, down sharply from last year. Its Live+Same Day averages were 410,000 viewers, down 40% from Season 1, and 0.19 rating in 18-49, down 46%. In Live+3, the Season 2 finale drew 593,000 viewers and 388,000 adults 18-49.

You’re The Worst is still airing its second season. Its ratings have been pretty similar to Married‘s, which should raise an alarm, though the relationship comedy has been a critical darling and runs on FXX, compared with the more established FX for Married.

Created by Andrew Gurland, Married starred Nat Faxon and Judy Greer as a long-time married couple dealing with kids, finances and a declining sex life. The series co-starred Brett Gellman as well as Jenny Slate, who switched from a regular to a recurring role in the second season after landing her own pilot at FX. Sarah Burns was added as a new regular in Season 2.

Married joins fellow FX comedy Comedians, which was recently canceled after one season.
yeah the whole FXX thing is really weird, did Fox really needed another channel to play the simpsons over and over on, then once a week sprinkle in some shows?

I don't want to see Youre the Worst Leave because Keather Donahue makes my pants tight. Plus it has some funny moments.

Sorry to see Married go - the wife liked it more that I did but it had moments that we could all relate to sometimes. I liked the couple's friend (the guy with the beard I think his name was AJ n the show)- he made me laugh.

Glad Comedians is gone. That was a sack of dog dung from the first episode.

Finally got some time to power through the last 5 episodes of YtW. An already fantastic show hitting a whole nother level.

It's soul-crushing and hilarious at the same time.

I feel like YtW is the only show over the few years to make me actually laugh out loud while watching. The Gretchen depression would be a crazy choice for pretty much any other show, but these guys are killing it.

I don't really care that Married got cancelled. I watched a couple episodes early in the season, but like last year, it's a decent show to pass the time and Judy Greer makes it enjoyable. But it's nowhere near the show YtW is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated that they put Worst on FXX but if keeping it there means more seasons, I am all for keeping it there.
I hated it at first, but it caused me to just cancel FXX and buy YtW on Amazon. So much better. No commercials or having to worry about the DVR getting full.

I haven't fully cut the cord yet, but when I finally do, putting YtW on FXX will have been the move that started me on the path towards it.

Aya Cash nailing the depression angle. Loving the depth of this "comedy". One of the best shows on tv buried on a 3rd rate channel. Certainly a diamond in the rough.

Well, it was a very interesting season. Still some funny stuff, but not as much. But that last scene was pretty great.

I ####### loved the finale to this season of You're the Worst. Pretty much perfect. Tied up some loose ends ever so slightly but left things very open-ended for next season.

Someone said it upthread but it really is a diamond in the rough. Over the course of the past few months it's really become my favorite TV show (which isn't saying much cause I don't watch much, but still).

Great episode this week with the PTSD angle.  This show is funny as hell, but I really like the serious turns every 10 episodes or so.  They do it so well.

Late to the party, but binged this show in time for the season finale. Awesome. I can't wait to see where they go with it. It's been years since I've audibly yelled at a TV character like I did in the last 30 seconds of the finale.

Users who are viewing this thread