What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W2 - Green Bay V Carolina (2 Viewers)

Cam needs better foot work when passing. He did some kind of hop and scissors kick, then missed a wide open receiver.

Panthers get a fg

The GB defense wasn't exactly rock solid last regular season. Plus they're down Jenkins, Collins, and Williams.

Happy with the way that the Panthers fought, but they should have come up with more points when they had the opportunity early in the game. Cam made a few mistakes, but he also continued to show his ability. I don't mind some rookie mistakes, and I think everyone knew they would be there.

Next week against the Jags, it's time to see the Panthers actually get a real win rather than a moral victory.

Packers got away with one it looks like.

Can't settle for FGs against better teams with the defense missing guys and struggling at times.

Also congrats to Driver on becoming the all time leading receiver of the Green Bay Packers (yardage...already had the receptions record)

I think Woodson has hit the 'wall'.
He must have heard you. :D
True, I'll eat crow a bit there. However, does anyone trust him in single, man coverage anymore? He made some great, veteran plays, but he's also partly responsible for almost 900 yards of passing allowed over 2 games. When he gets help over the top, he can jump routes. But otherwise he's getting torched pretty bad when he's by himself. He was never a speed guy, but he's clearly slowing on the top end this year. I say move him to safety, especially if the oft-injured Collins is out for an extended period.

I think Woodson has hit the 'wall'.
He must have heard you. :D
True, I'll eat crow a bit there. However, does anyone trust him in single, man coverage anymore? He made some great, veteran plays, but he's also partly responsible for almost 900 yards of passing allowed over 2 games. When he gets help over the top, he can jump routes. But otherwise he's getting torched pretty bad when he's by himself. He was never a speed guy, but he's clearly slowing on the top end this year. I say move him to safety, especially if the oft-injured Collins is out for an extended period.
Yeah, I'm generally in agreement with you here.

Collins is out.

However, I don't just want to move Woodson back there.

With Tramon likely back this week...keep Peprah and Burnett back there at safety most of the time...some matchups might dictate putting Woodson back there.

But I like Woodson in his role of hybrid player. Moving around near the line...covering TEs and slot guys...blitzing a lot and providing run support (if they do move Woodson back there, Bush actually has done ok in Woodson's role...not so much as a cover corner).

Collins is out.

With Tramon likely back this week...keep Peprah and Burnett back there at safety most of the time...some matchups might dictate putting Woodson back there.

But I like Woodson in his role of hybrid player. Moving around near the line...covering TEs and slot guys...blitzing a lot and providing run support (if they do move Woodson back there, Bush actually has done ok in Woodson's role...not so much as a cover corner).
Ooof, before the game I told my cousin, a Carolina fan, that he could count on at least one passing TD for Newton, over No. 24. In Bush's defense, he had tight coverage and it was a fantastic pitch-and-catch, but still . . . . that guy is like money in the bank for opposing QBs.

Collins is out.However, I don't just want to move Woodson back there.With Tramon likely back this week...keep Peprah and Burnett back there at safety most of the time...some matchups might dictate putting Woodson back there.But I like Woodson in his role of hybrid player. Moving around near the line...covering TEs and slot guys...blitzing a lot and providing run support (if they do move Woodson back there, Bush actually has done ok in Woodson's role...not so much as a cover corner).
Teams playing Green Bay are so concerned they won't be able to stop their offense that they are coming out firing in the passing game in an effort to keep up with points-- especially now that it looks like GB's run defense is quite solid. Now you add Collins' loss combined with the fact that Green Bay has virtually zero pass rush outside of Mathews, and it's getting ugly. It seems Jenkins was more valuable than they thought in this regard.As good as Woodson is in blitzing and run-support, they just don't have that luxury anymore and they need him in coverage to have a chance. I like Peprah, as he did fairly well during their run last year, but now Peprah needs to call the plays back there and that concerns me. I'd rather have Woodson's veteran leadership in that critical position and keep Peprah on a rotation.What all this means: Bump Rodgers. He's going to have to throw his #### off all season for GB to stay in games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Collins is out.However, I don't just want to move Woodson back there.With Tramon likely back this week...keep Peprah and Burnett back there at safety most of the time...some matchups might dictate putting Woodson back there.But I like Woodson in his role of hybrid player. Moving around near the line...covering TEs and slot guys...blitzing a lot and providing run support (if they do move Woodson back there, Bush actually has done ok in Woodson's role...not so much as a cover corner).
Teams playing Green Bay are so concerned they won't be able to stop their offense that they are coming out firing in the passing game in an effort to keep up with points-- especially now that it looks like GB's run defense is quite solid. Now you add Collins' loss combined with the fact that Green Bay has virtually zero pass rush outside of Mathews, and it's getting ugly. It seems Jenkins was more valuable than they thought in this regard.As good as Woodson is in blitzing and run-support, they just don't have that luxury anymore and they need him in coverage to have a chance. I like Peprah, as he did fairly well during their run last year, but now Peprah needs to call the plays back there and that concerns me. I'd rather have Woodson's veteran leadership in that critical position and keep Peprah on a rotation.What all this means: Bump Rodgers. He's going to have to throw his #### off all season for GB to stay in games.
Matthews has one sack. The team has 7 (tied for 4th).Now, some of that comes from having QBs drop back so much.The problem is not lack of pressure..its consistency in that pressure.Jenkins may be some of it.Some of it is that they are playing a ton of 2 down lineman, 4 LBs while in the nickel (they did this last year quite often and a large part of the Super Bowl).Id rather have Woodson's leadership and versatility doing what has made him so good the last year and a half or so.Peprah played quite well last year when Burnett went down.Not sure it means Peprah needs to call the plays. That can be done by Woodson to an extent without him being back in Collins spot.

Teams playing Green Bay are so concerned they won't be able to stop their offense that they are coming out firing in the passing game in an effort to keep up with points-- especially now that it looks like GB's run defense is quite solid. Now you add Collins' loss combined with the fact that Green Bay has virtually zero pass rush outside of Mathews, and it's getting ugly. It seems Jenkins was more valuable than they thought in this regard.
Jenkins, he can rush the passer. Hoever, I disagree with your premise here. Mike Neal can also rush the passer. He's hurt; again. It's unfortunate. Then again, Jenkins was never healthy in his time in Green Bay, and I'll eat my 1996 Edgar Bennett jersey if Jenkins plays in 16 games this year in Philly.All that said, it's way too early to push the panic button on this defense. They have some work to do, but I think it comes together as the season moves on with a healthier Williams and Neal, and the emergence of Morgan Burnett, who is playing some great football right now.

Collins is out.

Teams playing Green Bay are so concerned they won't be able to stop their offense that they are coming out firing in the passing game in an effort to keep up with points-- especially now that it looks like GB's run defense is quite solid. Now you add Collins' loss combined with the fact that Green Bay has virtually zero pass rush outside of Mathews, and it's getting ugly. It seems Jenkins was more valuable than they thought in this regard.As good as Woodson is in blitzing and run-support, they just don't have that luxury anymore and they need him in coverage to have a chance. I like Peprah, as he did fairly well during their run last year, but now Peprah needs to call the plays back there and that concerns me. I'd rather have Woodson's veteran leadership in that critical position and keep Peprah on a rotation.

What all this means: Bump Rodgers. He's going to have to throw his #### off all season for GB to stay in games.
Matthews has one sack. The team has 7 (tied for 4th).Now, some of that comes from having QBs drop back so much.

The problem is not lack of pressure..its consistency in that pressure.

Jenkins may be some of it.

Some of it is that they are playing a ton of 2 down lineman, 4 LBs while in the nickel (they did this last year quite often and a large part of the Super Bowl).

Id rather have Woodson's leadership and versatility doing what has made him so good the last year and a half or so.

Peprah played quite well last year when Burnett went down.

Not sure it means Peprah needs to call the plays. That can be done by Woodson to an extent without him being back in Collins spot.
They are 4th in sacks because QBs are dropping back, literally, 50 times per game against them. I don't care how bad your pass rush is, you're going to get sacks in that scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread