What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garrett Calling Plays (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...de.30ff2c6.html

Who makes the calls? It's Garrett

03:41 PM CDT on Saturday, June 9, 2007

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

cwatkins@dallasnews.com

IRVING – From the moment Jason Garrett was hired as offensive coordinator there was some secrecy as to who would call plays.

Would Tony Sparano do it again?

But Cowboys officials, from owner Jerry Jones to coach Wade Phillips, wouldn't say who the playcaller would be in 2007.

After the early practice at Friday's minicamp, Garrett confirmed he would call the plays in 2007.

It's not really a surprise since Garrett has asked players and his fellow coaches just what they like to see on the field.

"I do like that about him," receiver Terry Glenn said. "He seems like more of a down-to-earth, young-generation type coordinator. He seems like he's fresh, young and opened-minded."

Garrett has spoken to numerous coaches, including Norv Turner, the Cowboys' former offensive coordinator when Garrett backed up Troy Aikman, now the head coach in San Diego, about what to do.

Before Garrett went on his interview with the Cowboys, he spoke to Turner.

Garrett also has Sparano and receivers coach, Ray Sherman, a former offensive coordinator on two previous teams, to bounce ideas off.

Last season, the Cowboys finished fifth in the NFL in total offense at 360.8 yards per game with Sparano making the calls.

"I talk to Norv all the time," Garrett said. "He's a great play-caller, and he's somebody I learned a lot from just watching how he did it. We have a great staff here, and Tony Sparano has been helpful. And coach Phillips has been a great resource."

Several players have noted that Garrett likes to throw the ball downfield more than in the previous offensive scheme. During minicamps and organized team activities (OTA) passes were also going to the running back. There have also been some reverses and end-arounds with receiver Terrell Owens.

"I think he can do the job," Phillips said of Garrett. "It's kind of like when I was a first-time coordinator in New Orleans. I felt like I could do that job or I wouldn't have been named the coordinator. We ended up leading the league in several categories there and hopefully the same thing will happen with Jason."

The Cowboys offensive yards per game average has increased each year since 2002. Dallas seems to have the talent in place to make those numbers jump up again.

Receivers Owens and Glenn gained more than 1,000 yards each last season. Running back Julius Jones rushed for more than 1,000 yards. Backup Marion Barber led the NFC with 14 rushing TDs. Plus, tight end Jason Witten has played in three consecutive Pro Bowls.

All that's left is for Garrett to take charge of the play-calling.

"Hopefully I'm a guy who calls the right ones," Garrett said

Users who are viewing this thread