What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gates owners, what r u doing this weekend? (1 Viewer)

Beggin4Par

Footballguy
IS ANYONE IN THEIR SUPERBOWL PLANNING TO BENCH ANTONIO GATES?

If you're like me, you got a little lucky and made it to the final game despite Gates pulling a disappearing act. Manumaleuna got a TD for cripes sake.

I had other options... and read a thread here last week that had me wary. I rolled with Gates anyway and got a zero from him.

This week his game is on Monday night. Waivers end tonight. If I'm going to bench him, I would roll with Owen Daniels, even though I rushed to the wire for Manumaleuna last week.

Not trying to make this a WDIS.

It's more of a "Is this the rare week you would bench Antonio Gates for another top 10 option"?

Can we bench this stud? With San Diego having secured a playoff spot, and Gates's achy back, I could see them resting him, and doing it at the last second, killing any chance of getting another TE in my lineup, except for Manumaleuna.

Then there's a new Boss in town for the NY Gaints.

So, what are your options? What are you doing?

TEs are the same position as WRs in my league. I am benching gates for buress or engram. I think it will be the LT show Monday tonight.

At this point in the season I have to strart him, although I did pickup Manumaleuna in case Gates were to be a late night scratch. But what I am really hoping for is that is does not matter. The guy I am playing has nobody on Christmas Eve. So here's wishing the rest of my team shows up so Gates does not have to!! :thumbup:

I'm in the same boat and I'm going with Gates. With only one-arm, one-leg and playing in a swarm of locusts I'm going with Gates. In another league I benched Fitz as a gametime decision 2 weeks ago and it killed me.

Denver is tied for 24th in the league in TE rec. allowed: 60

Dead last in TE yards allowed: 778

31st in the league in TE TD's allowed: 8 - (only bested by Cleveland's 10 TD's allowed).

If Gates, flops so be it. I will not stand quietly by and watch him go apesh** on my bench.

I benched him for Bo Scaife last week in a PPR league and got zero points. Scaife had a TD called back due to a holding penalty but that's all the action he had. Our waiver wire is closed at this stage of the season and I am 99% sure I am gambling on Gates on MNF.

I'm going with who got me here. He was in the game early last week and darn near had a TD before the rout was on. Gates destroyed the Broncos in week 5.

Gates owners, what r u doing this weekend?, Monday night game. It's decision time now!
I'm actually not being faced with any decisions after that 1 catch 8 yard breakout party.If he'd given me 2 for 8, I'd be in the superbowl...but no.I love the guy, but I wouldn't trust him at this point.

I'm going with who got me here. He was in the game early last week and darn near had a TD before the rout was on. Gates destroyed the Broncos in week 5.
Thanks REF. The inside scoop helps.I didn't see the game or any highlights except Gates :hifive:high fiving Manumaleuna on his TD.I only see 4 target from last week. If the game's a rout, would they rest him?I admit I have a tendency to overthink.

I don't think they will play him if game gets out of hand...plus SD has west locked up. No need...LT will probably be pulled at some point too...this will be a laugher SD big over Den. I'd go elsewhere at TE or WR if WR/TE are combined.

SD is playing to ensure they don't face NE early...that's something to play for.

I hope/need Gates to play though.

I'm in the same boat and I'm going with Gates. With only one-arm, one-leg and playing in a swarm of locusts I'm going with Gates. In another league I benched Fitz as a gametime decision 2 weeks ago and it killed me. Denver is tied for 24th in the league in TE rec. allowed: 60Dead last in TE yards allowed: 77831st in the league in TE TD's allowed: 8 - (only bested by Cleveland's 10 TD's allowed). If Gates, flops so be it. I will not stand quietly by and watch him go apesh** on my bench.
:goodposting: :thumbdown: :football: If you have Gates, you have already won your title. Just enjoy it. He lights Denver up every time he faces them.

choosing between Gates and Sheffler, I'm just glad they both play monday night.
:rolleyes: right now, I have Gates in. If I need a couple points, I'll play Scheffler. If I need a huge game, I'll probably play Scheffler. If I need 50/1, I'll probably go with Gates.

Even with being a GTD last week, and playing only one half of the game, he STILL very nearly had one TD, and could have very possibly had 2. You won't get that kind of potential from any other player at the TE position. If you are playing for a championship with Gates on your team this week, take a moment to remember those few big yardage, multiple TD games that he's given you this year, put him in your lineup, and smile.

Either that or experience what it is like to be fortunate to get 4-5 points out of your TE position with some other scrub. :lmao:

Even with being a GTD last week, and playing only one half of the game, he STILL very nearly had one TD, and could have very possibly had 2. You won't get that kind of potential from any other player at the TE position. If you are playing for a championship with Gates on your team this week, take a moment to remember those few big yardage, multiple TD games that he's given you this year, put him in your lineup, and smile.Either that or experience what it is like to be fortunate to get 4-5 points out of your TE position with some other scrub. :lmao:
OK, I'm convinced. Gates stays in unless he's a game time scratch. Then I'd roll with Manumaleuna.Thanks Dancing Bones, Brutis, Fubar, HK, g5jamz, mggoilers. :doh: The only thing that makes me a little wary is HK. Rumor has it he's a fisherman! :link: Hoping Santa fills our FFL stockings this year!

Even with being a GTD last week, and playing only one half of the game, he STILL very nearly had one TD, and could have very possibly had 2. You won't get that kind of potential from any other player at the TE position. If you are playing for a championship with Gates on your team this week, take a moment to remember those few big yardage, multiple TD games that he's given you this year, put him in your lineup, and smile.Either that or experience what it is like to be fortunate to get 4-5 points out of your TE position with some other scrub. :2cents:
OK, I'm convinced. Gates stays in unless he's a game time scratch. Then I'd roll with Manumaleuna.Thanks Dancing Bones, Brutis, Fubar, HK, g5jamz, mggoilers. :coffee: The only thing that makes me a little wary is HK. Rumor has it he's a fisherman! :lmao: Hoping Santa fills our FFL stockings this year!
:lmao:

My league, TE = WR...

Can't decide if I want Gates to go with Branch as my WRs or sit Gates and play Santonio Holmes tonight...

My league, TE = WR...Can't decide if I want Gates to go with Branch as my WRs or sit Gates and play Santonio Holmes tonight...
It depends on your scoring system. If it is PPR or extra PPR for a TE, Gates is probably a better play. If it is straight yardage + TD, I am projecting Holmes to have at least one big play and a good chance of a TD. Gates is more likely to get a number of short receptions, and the running game will likely take over.

He played nearly the whole game last week untill ALL the starters were pulled. His bad #s had nothing at all to do with his injuries. Why wouldnt you play him?

shadyridr said:
He played nearly the whole game last week untill ALL the starters were pulled. His bad #s had nothing at all to do with his injuries. Why wouldnt you play him?
i agree. and a couple of bad breaks and the guy would've had 1, possibly 2, TDs. in my league TE=WR and have to choose between him, s. holmes or p. crayton. traditionally, a visiting team on a short week (i.e. pitt vs stl) does poorly. i'm not sure i'm ready to trust romo's thumb completely and crayton is boom or bust, so the choice is easy for me.

stickboy said:
' said:
My league, TE = WR...Can't decide if I want Gates to go with Branch as my WRs or sit Gates and play Santonio Holmes tonight...
It depends on your scoring system. If it is PPR or extra PPR for a TE, Gates is probably a better play. If it is straight yardage + TD, I am projecting Holmes to have at least one big play and a good chance of a TD. Gates is more likely to get a number of short receptions, and the running game will likely take over.
Just yardage and TD league...

Gates owner in one league. Seems this league was sleeping on Scheffler, so I just snagged him. Scheff can be tossed into the starting line-up Monday night if needed.

Gates owners: it would be in your best interest to have Scheffler or Manumaleuna on your roster so you can make an adjustment prior to Monday's game.

' said:
my league is the same. trying to decide on gates, burress or engram

shadyridr said:
Mainly because I didn't see the game, and I haven't gotten any useful points from him in 2 weeks. :cry: This thread and the responders convinced me to go with my stud TE (Gates). :hey: I'd pull a Davenpoop if he went nuts on my bench. That's the bottom line.Plus, the consolation prize to the loser of the bowl is dinner at Peter Luger's Steakhouse. :D If Gates costs me a title, at least I'll have an awesome steak dinner at which time I can lament over starting him while filling my belly with perfectly cooked, aged beef. :lmao:

shadyridr said:
I think injuries did hamper him last week. He was pulled on a few goal line situations which even got the announcers to comment he was not 100% because this is the most effective spot for him. Injuries aside it looks as if Rivers is developing a strong rapport with Chambers at the expense of Gates. I'm going to start Gates this weekend because my only other option is Zach Miller but if I had better options I'd consider someone else.

I haven't heard anything that suggests Gates won't be playing this weekend. He may not be 100% but they still need to win this game if they want the 3rd seed.

shadyridr said:
Mainly because I didn't see the game, and I haven't gotten any useful points from him in 2 weeks. :lmao: This thread and the responders convinced me to go with my stud TE (Gates). :lmao:

I'd pull a Davenpoop if he went nuts on my bench. That's the bottom line.

Plus, the consolation prize to the loser of the bowl is dinner at Peter Luger's Steakhouse. :D

If Gates costs me a title, at least I'll have an awesome steak dinner at which time I can lament over starting him while filling my belly with perfectly cooked, aged beef. :lmao:
:gang1: The week before he got 5 catches 50 yds and a TD

shadyridr said:
Mainly because I didn't see the game, and I haven't gotten any useful points from him in 2 weeks. :gang1: This thread and the responders convinced me to go with my stud TE (Gates). :gang1:

I'd pull a Davenpoop if he went nuts on my bench. That's the bottom line.

Plus, the consolation prize to the loser of the bowl is dinner at Peter Luger's Steakhouse. :lmao:

If Gates costs me a title, at least I'll have an awesome steak dinner at which time I can lament over starting him while filling my belly with perfectly cooked, aged beef. :thumbup:
:( The week before he got 5 catches 50 yds and a TD
:own3d: D'oh! I meant 2 of the last 3 weeks.

I am in championship game and I don't know what to do. Last week I won by one point with me starting Gates. I can pick up Owen Daniels and start him right now. But not sure what to do. I am facing LT this weekend too!

What to do??!!??!!

I have both Witten and Gates for my required TE position. Witten is slotted to start there for me this week (as he has all year). Our league does allow for multiple starts at TE (replacing one receiver if desired). Last week was the first week that I didn't play Witten AND Gates both. This week I'm sitting on the fence with starting both again. Our TE's in our league only need 7 yards to score a point as apposed to 10 for a receiver. So it has been to my advantage to start both all year. The replacement of Gates would be of these: Driver, Berrian, S. McDonald, and L. Evans. My usual starters are Reggie Wayne, and Deion Branch. Right now Gates has the best matchup of the other 4 receivers.

Unless I see anything between now and Sunday morning...I'll probably be rolling with the double TE set again this week. Gates had at least one other clunker game for me this year, and it didn't affect me too badily. I'm hoping that I can hold my own again this week should that be the case. With Chambers in town to draw more attention now, it might open Gates even more than he was in week 5. Even he does only end up with 40-50 and a TD that still 12 to 13 points in our non PPR league, which is a good day by our standards.

if you play in a TE league, you have to start Gates. He helped get you this far. except for the guy who has gates and witten :football: .

I believe some of those targets were deep down the middle and one was around/in the end zone. I had benched him last week and was watching CBS every play to see what he did. One deep down the middle catch and the TD and we would all feel a lot better. He was hurt yet he was out there getting targeted. HE doesn't even show up in the players in the news so he must be practicing as usual, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scheffler is available in my league so if I need a few points, I'll go with Scheffler. If I need a big day, I'm going with Gates. Opponent has LT so I'm hoping Sproles goes in early (guy doesn't have sproles, either).

Denver is tied for 24th in the league in TE rec. allowed: 60Dead last in TE yards allowed: 77831st in the league in TE TD's allowed: 8 - (only bested by Cleveland's 10 TD's allowed).
Denver usually puts Bailey on Gates so therefore Gates has not had his best games vs Denver. In his career vs. The Broncos, Gates is averaging 4 catches for 50 yards and has scored 3 times in 8 games. And the last game in oct. pads those stats slightly as he went for 7 catches for 113 and 1 td when Denver was without Bailey. If you are scared of benching him due to the fact that he could explode during any given game, I just wouldn't expect that out of him on monday. And if you have another somewhat decent option, then I would bench Gates because he could get a goose egg for you if he is a late scratch. And even if he does play, he most likely won't put up monster numbers for you.

Denver is tied for 24th in the league in TE rec. allowed: 60Dead last in TE yards allowed: 77831st in the league in TE TD's allowed: 8 - (only bested by Cleveland's 10 TD's allowed).
Denver usually puts Bailey on Gates so therefore Gates has not had his best games vs Denver. In his career vs. The Broncos, Gates is averaging 4 catches for 50 yards and has scored 3 times in 8 games. And the last game in oct. pads those stats slightly as he went for 7 catches for 113 and 1 td when Denver was without Bailey. If you are scared of benching him due to the fact that he could explode during any given game, I just wouldn't expect that out of him on monday. And if you have another somewhat decent option, then I would bench Gates because he could get a goose egg for you if he is a late scratch. And even if he does play, he most likely won't put up monster numbers for you.
not this year

not this year
what do you mean not this year? they played the game in october and bailey was indeed covering him. that was the game that bailey got hurt though. when bailey was in the game, gates had 3 catches for 40 yards.. and those numbers are ok but... after bailey left the game with an injury, gates had 4 catches for 73 yards and 1 td. in my previous post.. i'm saying that bailey will be covering a banged up gates on monday and historically, even when healthy, gates has not had his best games against denver. as i said.. gates averages 50 yards and has 3 tds in 8 career games. i think the possibility of gates being a late scratch and getting you 0 points is to much of a high risk with not enough reward. especially considering the fact that he is banged up and has not played all that well recently..... or historically vs denver.

Users who are viewing this thread