What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

general strategy - playing both RBs? (1 Viewer)

hip80

Footballguy
i hope this is not considered WDIS, but i'm wondering if i'm an idiot for thinking about starting two RBs for the same team when i think they will both get some touches. i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum b4...

i'm not sure about the match-up either....

it's very possible i may have to do this....

I would do it on occasion depending on situation, but it's not something I'd be all that anxious to do.

for example, if you're in a 12 team start 2 + flex, and you're bye depleted, I would be willing to start, say, bradshaw + jacobs vs kc.

IMO, there are two possible outcomes... you get solid but not spectacular production, or you get burned badly. I played McFadden and Bush against Kansas City earlier this year, hoping for number similar to what they posted last year against the chiefs, or what the ravens did against the chiefs this year, and I got about 15 points TOTAL from the 2.

I like this strategy only when you have a solid #1 RB, and you are starting your same team duo as your #2 RB and flex. Not many pairs would work, but Pierre/Bush, DWill/Stewart, and Addai/Brown could have success.

It's all about matchups really. I've done it 4 times now this year (Balty duo x 3, Cowboys duo x 1) in a PPR league where you can possibly start 5 RBs in a week. PPR obviously made Rice a start, though the duo wouldn't have been nearly as effective in a non-PPR.

Balty has worked a treat so far, but they have all been favourable matchups (KC-SD-Cle). Cowboys, I put Felix in with Barber as a hunch vs NY and got a bit lucky.

Its not like my RB stocks are brimmed with studs though (Barber-Felix-Rice-McGahee-Mendenhall-MeMo-Harrison) so I play by matchups more than any one players studliness (Those stocks were much much worse in the preseason as well, if you can believe :popcorn: )

RJS113 said:
I like this strategy only when you have a solid #1 RB, and you are starting your same team duo as your #2 RB and flex. Not many pairs would work, but Pierre/Bush, DWill/Stewart, and Addai/Brown could have success.
Any love for Lynch/FJax this week? Tough start against Dolphins, but if FJacks gets the majority catches and Marshawn the majority of rushes could get decent combined production.

Too many factors to make this an easy answer, but basically if you think the 2nd back will outproduce your other options, I'd do it.

During bye weeks it can definitely be a good option, especially if they face a cupcake. For example, the Colts and Giants this week and last, and the ravens last week.

On the flip side, I'd be very reluctant to start both Ravens this week, unless I had no other options.

I've got Westy on bye this week, and I also have Barber..but not sure he's going to play this week. So that leaves me starting Brandon Jacobs vs KC and Cedric Benson vs CLE for sure...my 3rd RB is either going to be Marion Barber(if he plays) or if he doesn't play...I'm seriously considering sticking Ahmad Bradhsaw in there at my flex spot...I think he could break off a long TD in the game..and Jacobs will cash in a close one.

It will backfire 90% of the time. People tried it with AP/Chester vs Detroit- how'd that work out? McFadden/Bush vs KC- another bust.

I would never start a guy based on speculation that he'll get sufficient work due to the game being a blowout. That almost never happens when it's "supposed to" and that's where this theory fails.

OK since we broke the ice with mentioning players names, i'll come out with it....

what do you like/dislike about the match-up this week with playing barber/choice? if it works like the last dallas game, both RBs got theirs. is the denver Def for real or do they come back down to earth this week against a offensive power?

OK since we broke the ice with mentioning players names, i'll come out with it....what do you like/dislike about the match-up this week with playing barber/choice? if it works like the last dallas game, both RBs got theirs. is the denver Def for real or do they come back down to earth this week against a offensive power?
Mostly a bad idea because Barber is hurt and may be limited, if he even plays.

Last year I started FatDale and CJ4.2 the week when they both went banannas. :D You could have the same luck but it's highly unlikely. Especially with the Cowboys.

Looks like I'm going with the Jacobs Bradshaw Combo this week too. My other options are an injured LT2 vs. Pitt and Donald Brown. 200 yards rushing and a TD or 2 would make me happy between those two.

Users who are viewing this thread