What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GMen/Cowboy owners, beware of weather Sunday! (1 Viewer)

Da Gildz

Footballguy
In the NY/NJ area and they're calling for pretty extreme weather. In the 30's/snow/ with 20+ MPH winds.

I currently had Eli penciled in but I'm pulling him for Glennon.

Just an FYI. Obviously things can change, but I'd lower my expectations for both QB's/WR's/TE's...etc

Snow and rain are not significant when it comes to betting lines. Wind is. So, if it is windy why would you not want to be aware of it and decide accordingly?

This is the kind of talk that got Josh Gordon owners in trouble last week.

Anything can happen, and bad weather affects cornerbacks and safeties too, so I don't see much of a reason to change who you are going to start unless it was already a close call between players.

Anything can happen, and bad weather affects cornerbacks and safeties too, so I don't see much of a reason to change who you are going to start unless it was already a close call between players.
Bad weather affects the footing of safeties and corners too, sure.

But corners and safeties don't throw passes, while offenses do. Since bad weather, especially wind, affects passes, there is an edge to the defense. It also can shift the run-pass ratio towards runs a little more, which is worth knowing for FF.

They will just delay the game in the middle of it if it becomes an issue.
I don't think they will. The delay last week wasn't because of cold, snow, or wind. It was because of the potential for dangerous thunderstorms and tornadoes, if I'm not mistaken. The precedent to play football in cold, snow, wind, rain, etc are all there-only when they feel the lives/health of spectators might be at risk to they consider delaying.

But corners and safeties don't throw passes, while offenses do. Since bad weather, especially wind, affects passes, there is an edge to the defense. It also can shift the run-pass ratio towards runs a little more, which is worth knowing for FF.
While this is true, it's not very logical to worry about this over 48 hours in advance. the weather can change very much between now and then. When I check the weather on Sunday, it's calling for cold temps, no snow, and winds UP TO 20 MPH. That doesn't mean constant winds at 20+, it means gusts could get up to 20. If you're choosing between 2 equal players, I can see going with another guy, but as Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown, and Josh Gordon showed last week, weather shouldn't cause you to sit a guy who is clearly better than your alternatives.

They will just delay the game in the middle of it if it becomes an issue.
I don't think they will. The delay last week wasn't because of cold, snow, or wind. It was because of the potential for dangerous thunderstorms and tornadoes, if I'm not mistaken. The precedent to play football in cold, snow, wind, rain, etc are all there-only when they feel the lives/health of spectators might be at risk to they consider delaying.
I was being sarcastic. :)

25-30 mph winds now being projected. Hey, meadowlands winds are like no other. Add in the snow probability and lack of visibility that goes along with that, you're crazy if u don't think this will impact both passing games. Any owners of these players better hope the weather forecast changes.

25-30 mph winds now being projected. Hey, meadowlands winds are like no other. Add in the snow probability and lack of visibility that goes along with that, you're crazy if u don't think this will impact both passing games. Any owners of these players better hope the weather forecast changes.
Where are you seeing this?

All I can find is 14-21 mph winds, dying down in the afternoon/evening, when the game is being played.

25-30 mph winds may actually help Eli's accuracy. Start him with confidence.

I can't wait for the Super Bowl.
Here in northern NJ, just outside of East Rutherford, it has been sunny and 50ish on SB sunday for each of the past few seasons.quality golf weather for these parts. ths isnt Minnesota or Buffalo..we're in the middle of bad drought, said to continue throughout the '14 summer..so snow is unlikely. something weird happens every year , it's unseasonable warm end of Jan first week of Feb..I've had softball practices in late January, with weather comfortably in the high 50's..

as for sunday, nj.com/weather says 34 flurries partly cloudy. in fact, cable ch 61 weather makes no mention of winds on sunday. just that it'll be 26 overnight saturday..Both offenses should flourish..I wouldnt sit any star player.

After all the crap we were worried about last week, I am starting my studs unless the world is ending that week and it starts in that city

From weather.gov and weather.com. Snow not looking likely but...

SundayMostly sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.

Tomorrow

31°

Partly Cloudy / Wind

Mostly sunny skies with gusty winds. High 31F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Sent from my iPhone

Local here. It's not going to snow. Maybe a couple flurries at most but the weather is definitely not going to be anything to worry about

I don't know why people only bring this up with kickers it seems but cold, precipitation, wind is an issue every year in places like any of GB, CLE, PHI, PIT, NY, NE, KC, BUF, SEA, DEN at any given time. Nobody ever says they'd rather have some dome/sunbelt QB or WR instead of say Rodgers or Welker because of late season sleet.

Meadowlands:

Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
Cold but not windy in GB:

Increasing clouds, with a high near 21. West northwest wind 7 to 11 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
This week in CLE:

A chance of snow showers, mainly before 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. Blustery, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Boston/Foxborough/Mansfield:

Mostly clear, with a low around 14. Blustery, with a west wind 17 to 22 mph decreasing to 11 to 16 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph.
http://nflweather.com/game/2013/week-12/broncos-at-patriots

Last edited by a moderator:

This should help Gomer. His passes will now veer off course and into the hands of his WRs. Starting Gomer with confidence.

Heard the same thing last week about the Pittsburgh game. How did Roethlisberger make out in that one?

Weather is extremely overrated in fantasy football.

Heard the same thing last week about the Pittsburgh game. How did Roethlisberger make out in that one?

The Pitts game last week dealt more with rain than wind. Rain by itself is no big deal.

People saying weather's not gonna be a problem? You're gonna be in for a treat if the gust is strong tomorrow.

Rain and snow doesn't really matter as long as it's not windy.

If there are 40 mph gusts, it's gonna affect the passing and the kicking game for sure.

We might need to keep a close eye this before the game starts.

The Pitts game last week dealt more with rain than wind. Rain by itself is no big deal.
The forecast going into the game was wind and rain. Trust me, almost every time they warn about the weather it turns into a high scoring game. It's like a weird reverse lock or something.

The forecast going into the game was wind and rain. Trust me, almost every time they warn about the weather it turns into a high scoring game. It's like a weird reverse lock or something.
Oh, and by the way, when there is high wind in a game, like Buffalo last week, how did EJ Manuel do? 20-28 with 245 yards and 2 touchdowns.

We expect a range of results that are possible, whether we're in rain, snow, sleet, a gale force wind, or playing in a dome. Pointing out a single result, whether it is that EJ Manuel went 20-28 for 245 and 2 touchdowns on a windy day or pointing out that Geno Smith went 8-28 for 103 and 0 TDs and 3 INTs in the same exact windy game, doesn't prove anything one way or another. Both of those are outcomes that are possible in most any weather condition so we can't draw a lot of conclusion from just 2 samples on a windy day.

If we want to know whether and/or how weather affects an NFL game, we have to look at it over a large sample where other factors can be expected to average out. Here is a great article on it that does exactly this.

TL;DR? Then just look at this chart. It shows you that on average, for home teams adjusted yards per pass attempt drops from around 6.4 with no wind to 5.6 with 20 yard sustained wind speeds, a change of about 12%, while visiting teams who are normally less efficient anyway due to home field, it drops from about 6.1 to about 5.4, again about the same size drop off.

The other effect to take into account is change in run/pass ratio. Again, for the TL;DR folks, check out this chart. There definitely is a shift in ratio, though it doesn't get significant until about 15 miles per hour. Again, his study that's sustained wind speed, not gust speed. The amount also should matter to us. For high wind games (20-25 mph) then teams are changing on average about 2-3 plays from passes to runs per game.

Is that significant? Well it depends. People are saying "you shouldn't bench a Calvin Johnson for that". I seriously hope no one was considering they needed to anyway. But what we can see from this is that we might expect a full 10% drop in passing stats. Now if Calvin were playing in that game, a 10% drop is not going to put Donnie Avery ahead of him. Obviously. But it would be enough this week to drop him from WR1 to WR4. For a player who is in a bigger cluster of similar players, like Anquan Boldin, it might be enough to drop him 10 spots in rankings that had not taken weather into account.

It doesn't mean each player is going to have a bad day or a good day, and if he has a good day that no more disproves the effect of wind than having a bad day proves it. All that we can say is we should expect him to have a little bit worse day than we did before, and now we can quantify it as being somewhere around 10%

PFT:

Last weekend, thunderstorms created issues at a couple of NFL games, particularly in Chicago. This weekend, cold and/or wind could impact several games.

In New York (OK, New Jersey), where the Giants will be hosting the Cowboys, winds will whip in the range of 25 to 35 miles per hour, with gusts exceeding 40 miles per hour. The high temperature will be 31 degrees.

Similar conditions are expected in Baltimore, where New York’s other team will be visiting the Ravens. The high will be 36 degrees, and the wind will range from 25 to 35 miles per hour.

In Green Bay, where the Packers welcome the Vikings, the high temperature will be 26 degrees.

In Cleveland, the latest Steelers-Browns game also will feature a high temperature of 26 — along with snow showers and winds in the range of 20-to-30 miles per hour.

And for Sunday night’s Broncos-Patriots game at Foxborough, temperatures could drop into the teens, along with winds in the 25-to-35 mile-per-hour range.

Don't know why I'm even saying this, I'm definitely going to get flamed to all holy hell but I live about 45 minutes from the Stadium and it's INCREDIBLY windy outside. Just got home from work and my trash cans were half way down my drive way.

Well if Gomer has a forecast of 10% reduction in production ...I'm going with McCown.. I know you don't care...but in a 16 league options are limited. I do appreciate all the updated weather forecast.

Users who are viewing this thread