What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going for 2? (1 Viewer)

WheelsUp

Footballguy
Is anyone as shocked as I am after a whole season and almost a half at the lack of attempts for 2 point conversions. This pushing the XP back has made the XP more fun, but it has done nothing to increase teams going for 2. Doug Pederson had some balls yesterday after a penalty to take 1 point of the board and go for 2 from the one. I say that loosely as 2 pointers should be something of the norm, tis more exciting and gains a much better net.

If you score 2 TDs and even at a 50% 2pt rate you still get 14 points. Just seems the reward is worth way more than the risk? What say you?

If someone has some stats on this that would be great to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just typical close-minded coaching in the NFL, and the fact that coaches don't want to do anything wrong to look bad and lose their jobs.

There's stats out there if you want to look, but 2 point conversions are about a 50/50 proposition...maybe a little less but for arguments sake let's say 50/50.  So if you go for 2 every single time you're still going to come out roughly the same.  But, if you practice it and make it part of your gameplan, perhaps you can get that number up to 55-60% and then you're way ahead of the game.

There's always a case to go for it and there's always a case to kick the single.  If a TD puts you up by 7 you kick the single to go up by 8 every time.  But if a TD puts you up by 5 you should be going for it every time.  Likewise if it puts you down by 9 you go for 2 to be within a TD.  All of this shouldn't matter if there's 3 minutes left in the game or if it's midway through the 1st quarter.

Coaches should be trying to be ahead of the curve.  Imagine your team going for 2 every time and being ahead 16-14 at the half instead of tied?  Or being up by 9 with 5 minutes to go in the game instead of being up by 7?  Of course I realize coaches need the buy-in and support of upper management as well which is another problem altogether.

Rant over, my $0.02 anyways.  Next up...why punting from anywhere over the 50 yard line is a huge mistake.

It puts your team in a bad position half the time, as opposed to missing an XP 5% of the time.

I stand by the adage that you should never go for 2 until the 4th quarter, and then only if you're losing.

You should never go for 2 until you have to.  It almost always puts you behind in the point schedule by the end of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread