What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to Ireland vs France rugby match in Dublin - what should I know? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
So a good friend of mine who is on the board of the Ireland Rugby Football Union just invited me and a buddy to come to Dublin for the Ireland vs France six nations rugby match on March 10th.  Just have to pay for our flight which we found RT from LAX for $680. Not bad and we'll try to upgrade.  Never been to Ireland.  Short trip as we're going Thurs, arrive Friday am.  Friday night and Saturday night debauchery then the match on Sunday.  Fly home 3pm Monday and arrive back in LA by 7pm.  

I'm going to start taking milk thistle for my liver now.  But what else should I know about or expect? Anything we have to be sure and do/see even with that short of a trip? In all seriousness seems like a cool life experience and looking forward to it.  

You should know that I'm jealous.  Also...

• My favorite pub was Lord Edwards Pub (google maps showed it closed for business, but it was not). 
  • Guinness Brewery Tour is more of a self guided Guinness museum than a brewery tour. 
  • The Jameson tour was great. 
  • Trinity college was cool AF. 
  • Go see a hurling match if you can find one.

Ireland just beat New Zealand a month or so ago in a geat game and are now ranked second in the world. They are playing great. France is in a bit of a down cycle, but still obviously very good. Six Nations is the top international rugby tournament outside the World Cup. I love this tournament and the good news is it is now readily available on tv in the us. Ireland won the 2018 tournament with a 5-0 record and are absolutely on top of European rugby right now.  This tournament starts in February, so you may want to watch a few games to familiarize yourself with the team if you’re not already (NBC carries all Six Nations games through its rugby package.)  this is a World Cup year, so this tournament will have some extra spice as the teams prepare for japan this summer.

im extremely jealous, would love to attend a Six Nations game some day. I’ve been to a NZ v Australia test match in Christchurch and several league games in England and Ireland. It’s a great live sport. 

You should know were the closest exit is. And the two next closest as alternative escape routes.

Have a good time. 

Ireland just beat New Zealand a month or so ago in a geat game and are now ranked second in the world. They are playing great. France is in a bit of a down cycle, but still obviously very good. Six Nations is the top international rugby tournament outside the World Cup. I love this tournament and the good news is it is now readily available on tv in the us. Ireland won the 2018 tournament with a 5-0 record and are absolutely on top of European rugby right now.  This tournament starts in February, so you may want to watch a few games to familiarize yourself with the team if you’re not already (NBC carries all Six Nations games through its rugby package.)  this is a World Cup year, so this tournament will have some extra spice as the teams prepare for japan this summer.

im extremely jealous, would love to attend a Six Nations game some day. I’ve been to a NZ v Australia test match in Christchurch and several league games in England and Ireland. It’s a great live sport. 
Ireland beat the All Blacks?!  I need to start paying attention again...love this sport.

Eta: Hurling is still the best...one of my proudest possessions is a hurling stick signed by County Mayo players...my Irish side of the family's point of origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ireland beat the All Blacks?!  I need to start paying attention again...love this sport.

Eta: Hurling is still the best...one of my proudest possessions is a hurling stick signed by County Mayo players...my Irish side of the family's point of origin.
This was a great game, worth finding if you can watch it on replay somewhere.  I would also recommend this to @Judge Smails for a great look at this team's style. For a friendly, it was an extremely intense, brutal game from beginning to end.  NZ only managed a drop goal and two penalties. The only try of the game was a beauty - a chip and gather by Jacob Stockdale, the 2018 Six Nations player of the tournament.  I'm an All-Blacks fan for life, having lived a year in NZ and learned the game there, went on to play for about 10 years, but have to really hand it to Ireland for this win.  In email discussions with my friends in NZ, they all claim the All-Blacks played terribly and this isn't the team that will be in Japan this summer.  The fact is Ireland were better and earned every bit of this win.  To hear The Fields of Athenry ringing out at Aviva stadium in Dublin for the last 10 minutes or so while Ireland were desperately defending one attack after another was really awesome. Would've love to have been there live, even if it was a loss for the All-Blacks.

CletiusMaximus said:
This was a great game, worth finding if you can watch it on replay somewhere.  I would also recommend this to @Judge Smails for a great look at this team's style. For a friendly, it was an extremely intense, brutal game from beginning to end.  NZ only managed a drop goal and two penalties. The only try of the game was a beauty - a chip and gather by Jacob Stockdale, the 2018 Six Nations player of the tournament.  I'm an All-Blacks fan for life, having lived a year in NZ and learned the game there, went on to play for about 10 years, but have to really hand it to Ireland for this win.  In email discussions with my friends in NZ, they all claim the All-Blacks played terribly and this isn't the team that will be in Japan this summer.  The fact is Ireland were better and earned every bit of this win.  To hear The Fields of Athenry ringing out at Aviva stadium in Dublin for the last 10 minutes or so while Ireland were desperately defending one attack after another was really awesome. Would've love to have been there live, even if it was a loss for the All-Blacks.
Thank you. My only experience with rugby was with the All Blacks as former company was based in NZ. Great suggestions - thx all.  I will start watching to get more knowledgeable. I think this is like all access all everything so going to make the most of it. Hurling? Who knew?

Don Quixote said:
TheFanatic started a Dublin thread over the summer that a number of us posted advice in.  Worth checking that out.
This. 

spent a week there in early November. It’s awesome. Read my post in there and happy to answer any questions.

Trinity City Hotel is awesome. 

Dublin's awesome, it's hard to go wrong.

My advice is don't try and do everything,  go with the flow and it'll turn out great.

Judge Smails said:
Anything we have to be sure and do/see even with that short of a trip? In all seriousness seems like a cool life experience and looking forward to it.  
Ireland is awesome.  If you get the chance for a half day trip and like history I can't recommend Newgrange enough.  Seriously the coolest thing in Ireland.

Kafka said:
We're now Limerick fans after catching a game in Thurles.  Totally awesome sport.

Thank you. My only experience with rugby was with the All Blacks as former company was based in NZ. Great suggestions - thx all.  I will start watching to get more knowledgeable. I think this is like all access all everything so going to make the most of it. Hurling? Who knew?
Ireland hosts England on Saturday, the first match day of this years’ Six Nations tournament. This will be a good one.

https://i.redd.it/25qc8mjd1cd21.png

Mayo flag hangs in my classroom!

Booked 7 day trip to Ireland - May 2-9th.  Its May day that weekend and Monday but I can't find anything special going on. Here's my itinerary

Day 1 - all day and night in Dublin , staying in Temple Bar district

Day 2 -  driving to Killkenny in morning and ending up in Cork for the night

Day 3 - driving to Ring of Kerry and staying in Killarney for the night

Day 4 - cliffs of Mohr then staying Galway.

Day 5 - driving to Northern Ireland, hiking giant causeway and sleeping nearby.

Day 6 - Driving to Belfast and plan to stay overnight   

Anything missing???

Well it's getting better.  Our host was at a Grammy's after party and met Chris Stapleton. Turns out there is a 3 day Country to Country music festival in Dublin while we're there.  They started talking and rugby for concert tix conversations started.  We'll be in the 3rd row on Saturday night! Supposedly Keith Urban is interested too but one show will be enough for me.

First night our host is having a friends and family dinner with us as their guests of honor. He's also planned visits for us to the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson tour. Throw in Stapleton concert and the big match itself and we are in for some serious fun.  Watched two matches this morning to try and get educated on rugby.

Well it's getting better.  Our host was at a Grammy's after party and met Chris Stapleton. Turns out there is a 3 day Country to Country music festival in Dublin while we're there.  They started talking and rugby for concert tix conversations started.  We'll be in the 3rd row on Saturday night! Supposedly Keith Urban is interested too but one show will be enough for me.

First night our host is having a friends and family dinner with us as their guests of honor. He's also planned visits for us to the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson tour. Throw in Stapleton concert and the big match itself and we are in for some serious fun.  Watched two matches this morning to try and get educated on rugby.
This is awesome, I'm sure you'll have blast.  Just for context on the rugby, obviously Ireland's loss to England in the first game was a major setback for the Irish chances of defending their title.  It was a drubbing too, and in Dublin.  England left no doubt who was the better team. However, with Wales beating England yesterday (in an awesome game, easily the best of the tournament so far for me), Ireland now has some hope.  Forget even trying to understand the unnecessarily complex scoring system - just know that Ireland has to beat France in Dublin on March 10, and score at least 4 tries, then they get a shot at Wales in Cardiff a week later and obviously need to win that one as well.  They'll also need some unlikely help from Italy or Scotland against England - an upset win in one of those games, which is a long-shot. So you're going to see a fun game I'm sure, as Ireland will be going all-out for a big score win.  If France wins in Dublin (highly unlikely) or keeps the score down (Irish win a close, low-scoring game), it will probably be all over for Ireland. England still have the inside track, with Wales a close second, but the Irish are not out of it yet.

Booked 7 day trip to Ireland - May 2-9th.  Its May day that weekend and Monday but I can't find anything special going on. Here's my itinerary

Day 1 - all day and night in Dublin , staying in Temple Bar district

Day 2 -  driving to Killkenny in morning and ending up in Cork for the night

Day 3 - driving to Ring of Kerry and staying in Killarney for the night

Day 6 - Driving to Belfast and plan to stay overnight   

Anything missing???
Just seeing this post.  That hits a lot of the main spots.  My main concern would be that you're trying to see too much, as you'll be spending a lot of time driving, and not spending a lot of time soaking in the culture of the regions.

But, if you're eager for more, a couple that I'll throw out... Glendalough is about an hour south of Dublin (ancient monastic site), and one that I often suggest.   Rock of Cashel worth hitting too; I don't think far off the route from Kilkenny to Cork.  I didn't make it to Newgrange, but I'll have to make that the next trip (along with Giant's Causeway, as I did not make it to Northern Ireland).  

In Killarney, be sure to go to Killarney National Park and Ross Castle.

Just seeing this post.  That hits a lot of the main spots.  My main concern would be that you're trying to see too much, as you'll be spending a lot of time driving, and not spending a lot of time soaking in the culture of the regions.

But, if you're eager for more, a couple that I'll throw out... Glendalough is about an hour south of Dublin (ancient monastic site), and one that I often suggest.   Rock of Cashel worth hitting too; I don't think far off the route from Kilkenny to Cork.  I didn't make it to Newgrange, but I'll have to make that the next trip (along with Giant's Causeway, as I did not make it to Northern Ireland).  

Thanks - We were planning to stop at Rock of Cashel.  Also think we may cross off Belfast and spend 2 days traveling from Galway to giant causeway with a stop at Derry..

This is awesome, I'm sure you'll have blast.  Just for context on the rugby, obviously Ireland's loss to England in the first game was a major setback for the Irish chances of defending their title.  It was a drubbing too, and in Dublin.  England left no doubt who was the better team. However, with Wales beating England yesterday (in an awesome game, easily the best of the tournament so far for me), Ireland now has some hope.  Forget even trying to understand the unnecessarily complex scoring system - just know that Ireland has to beat France in Dublin on March 10, and score at least 4 tries, then they get a shot at Wales in Cardiff a week later and obviously need to win that one as well.  They'll also need some unlikely help from Italy or Scotland against England - an upset win in one of those games, which is a long-shot. So you're going to see a fun game I'm sure, as Ireland will be going all-out for a big score win.  If France wins in Dublin (highly unlikely) or keeps the score down (Irish win a close, low-scoring game), it will probably be all over for Ireland. England still have the inside track, with Wales a close second, but the Irish are not out of it yet.
Yeah watched Ireland/Italy.  Very sloppy win. Will have to be better vs France. Still trying to learn all of the rules and nuances. 

I’m bumping this because I need to know ‘stuff’ about rugby by tomorrow afternoon.

Any quick explainers?

Yes I’ve watched rugby on tv, and I enjoy it. It seems like real football. And I can’t say much about details after that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 

I’m bumping this because I need to know ‘stuff’ about rugby by tomorrow afternoon.

Any quick explainers?

Yes I’ve watched rugby on tv, and I enjoy it. It seems like real football. And I can’t say much about details after that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 
Rugby Union is real rugby.  "Rugby League" and "7s" are trimmed down games, more scoring, less rugby, pretty much BS games but popular.  Aussie Rules is not rugby.

What other stuff?  Its 15 v 15, heavily  regulated contact sport played by men and women all over the world.  I played for 10 years and its my favorite game to watch on television.

Watching on tv doesn't make much sense if you don't have a basic knowledge of the most important rules.  Offside, knock-on, rucking  are a few of the most important to know for the game to be enjoyable to watch.

I can't talk about the game Judge was at today because I've not watched it yet.  I saw the score, but won't get a chance to watch for a couple days due to my crappy job.

You going on a date with a rugby player?
Ha, thanks for that, but no.

It's part of my job, I'm going to the NO pro rugby team HQ today. I just was hoping to get some slight base of understanding about the sport before I go so I don't sound like a total idiot. Though I think they're expecting a certain amount of ignorance as part of their spreading word on the sport. Thanks.

I agree with this.  Too much driving to be doing Ireland right (drunk).

Flying back home.  What a phenomenal trip! Absolutely loved Dublin.  I never knew they had a food scene.  Our host said they have more Michelin star restaurants per capita than anywhere in the world? 3 nights we had Thai, French and Pakistani cuisines.  All fantastic.  Friday night we had a dinner with friends/family including those in both the Ireland and France federations.  Then drinking until 2am.  Guinness tastes so so good over there.  Started liking me some Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey too

Our host took us on about 2+ hour walking tour on Saturday morning (we skipped the Guinness/Jameson's tours). City is so walkable.  Went to Trinity College where he went to school, went by where James Joyce lived, saw a castle and several other sites.  Then went to watch Wales play at a pub.  Great fish and chips and some Hop House while watching these brutes killing each other with blood soaked head bandages.  Tough sport. The Stapleton concert that night was phenomenal as always.    30 feet from center stage, and the 3 is a great place - not a bad seat in the house.  Lyle Lovett opened up and was great.  Can't believe that guy was bangin' Julia Roberts but I digress.

Saturday night was a mess.  Told ourselves we were going to take it easy but ended up closing down 3 bars, including Doyle's at 2am then, gulp, Copper face Jack's at 5am.  What a scene there.  Managed to get going at 10:30 Sunday morning but we were feeling it.  Mandatory good luck toast at The Oval and my buddy just couldn't stomach looking at a beer.

Match was great! Weather turned colder with some rain but not on our side of the stadium.  Seeing scrums and line outs up close was awesome.  Ireland dominated France (man were the French there in force, covered the city) for all but the last 5 minutes and still won handily.  Some serious, physical athletes out there and I have a much greater appreciation for the game now (thinking about World Cup in Japan). After party celebration in the Federation hospitality room, more Guinness.  Sunday dinner at a great Pakistani place and then called it a night (we were smart one night).

This morning we drove north and our friend showed us where he lived growing up.  Went through the seaside town of Malahide and walked along the port. Also went out to 2 historic golf courses, Royal Dublin and Portmarnock.  Basically empty - wish we could have played.  Did take a bunch of pictures and did some damage at the pro shops.  Phenomenal.  Had lunch and then headed to the airport home.

Takeaways from a first time visitor - 

1) Really, really friendly people

2) Didn't see a single police officer or even police car the entire time we were there.  Extremely safe, at least where we were

3) People were fit! More fit than here in America.  Though Dublin looks like a complete cultural melting pot

4) Economy looks strong - especially tech.  Went by Google's new office building by Aviva stadium and Facebook is building several blocks worth of offices.  Also a booming Financial district

5) You can get a pint or a bet in every 20 steps it seems.

6) Tipping was almost unheard of.  Nowhere even to put one if you use a credit card.  Yet you get a gratuity line at a freakin' McDonald's in the U.S. We did tip when we used cash but 10% was considered high and never really expected.

7) Plenty to do in Dublin proper but it was especially beautiful getting out of the city. Even 20-30 minutes out.  Can't wait to explore the rest of the country.

8 St. Patrick's Day seems to be thought of much like Mardi Gras for the New Orleans locals.  Won't see corned beef and cabbage anywhere.  All American made - I'll have it at home on Sunday.

9) Public transportation looked great.  Clean double decker busses, rail, tons of taxis etc.  Locals don't want to drive in Dublin as parking is really expensive if you can find it.  

10) My friend recommended always flying in and out of Dublin, especially vs London Heathrow.  Clearing customs in Ireland side before trip home is a huge benefit.  So starting and ending trips in Dublin makes a ton of sense, even if it means a cheap Ryan air flight to Scotland, etc.

Great time - will be back!

Day 1 - if you like history head up to Newgrange and get a tour inside of one of the oldest buildings in the world - 12,000 years old.

Day 4 - If you like walks near the Cliffs of Moher is The Burren.  Topography is unlike anything I've ever seen before, and an awesome walk.

Day 5 - do yourself a favor and stop off at Connemarra Park and do the 5 mile walk (red one) to the top and back down.  Done it twice and it's easily the most breathtaking vista on the island - Kylemore in the background, etc.  My favorite spot in Ireland, by far.

Day 1 - if you like history head up to Newgrange and get a tour inside of one of the oldest buildings in the world - 12,000 years old.

Day 4 - If you like walks near the Cliffs of Moher is The Burren.  Topography is unlike anything I've ever seen before, and an awesome walk.

Day 5 - do yourself a favor and stop off at Connemarra Park and do the 5 mile walk (red one) to the top and back down.  Done it twice and it's easily the most breathtaking vista on the island - Kylemore in the background, etc.  My favorite spot in Ireland, by far.
Thanks - was planning some hikes and now we have a couple...Definitely will do. 

i would probably not wear your france shirt that is all i am sayin brohan take that to the bank 

That Eng Sco game was awesome but I can’t believe a cup final ends in a draw.
It was a meaningless game re: the Six Nations.  Wales crushing Ireland made it moot.  England finished in second place and Scotland finished in the bottom half.

The Calcutta Cup is like the Egg Bowl or Golden Axe or somesuch between two college teams.

Gotta tip the cap to Wales. No one expected this, and a grand slam to boot. They were quietly dominant, especially in the big games against Ireland and England. Fun to watch for a team that doesn’t score big numbers. They will be a big force to reckon with in Japan. 

I assume it's naked jingoism that they kept calling the Six Nations "The World's Greatest Rugby Tournament"?  
I love the six Nations, but you’re right, it’s a matter of opinion. If you added, “annual” there would pretty much be no argument I think, since the World Cup is every 4 years. 

I love the six Nations, but you’re right, it’s a matter of opinion. If you added, “annual” there would pretty much be no argument I think, since the World Cup is every 4 years. 
I've watched Six Nations before -- I dated a Scot for a couple years a long time ago and she was into it, but my impression (then and since) was that New Zealand and Australia are where it's really at.

Ok... so I got curious.  World Cup Odds below.  Not sure if Australia is down right now or just not as good as I thought they were:

New Zealand 6/5
England 11/2
Ireland 7/1
Wales 8/1
South Africa 10/1
Australia 16/1
France 33/1
Scotland 50/1
Argentina 50/1

ETA:  2-3-4-7-8 in the world playing a round-robin every year is a pretty righteous tournament.

EETA:  Southern Hemisphere teams (NZ, AUS, South Africa) have won seven of the eight previous WCs.  The only other teams to appear in a final are England and France.

Yeah, Australia is is a massive down cycle now. It’s humiliating for them. The Springboks are the only other nation outside Europe that can realistically challenge the top on a regular basis. They all do regular tours, but as I noted in the other rugby thread there is a new proposal for a 12 team international league that could be interesting. 

@CletiusMaximus

One of the most confusing parts of watching this is when there’s a mass of bodies (not the scrum) and they call a foul.    These guys are killing each other on every tackle - what is going on for them to call a foul?

@CletiusMaximus

One of the most confusing parts of watching this is when there’s a mass of bodies (not the scrum) and they call a foul.    These guys are killing each other on every tackle - what is going on for them to call a foul?
Just worked this out for myself b/c I'd always wondered the same thing. 

Once a guy is tackled he has to let go of the ball pretty quick.  Once it's out the defending team isn't allowed to come in from the side of the play to get it -- they have to go through the guys protecting it.  But they also have to stay on their feet while doing it. 

So that period immediately after a tackle is insane.  The offensive guys are trying to wipe out the defenders on top of the tackled player to give the offensive team more room to operate, and the defenders are trying to work through those guys to get to the ball.  A lot of fouls are for guys leaving their feet and interfering with the play.

Also, sometimes the foul is offside -- when a defender is caught behind the play on a tackle and doesn't get back on the other side of the ball before being involved in the play.  You'll see guys just stop playing a lot when they know they're offside.

At least that's how I understood it.  Someone who knows the game better than me can probably extend that and clean up the bits I got wrong.

@CletiusMaximus

It is a game that really does not make much sense for a spectator unless you have a basic understanding of the rules.  The offside rules are important, knock-on, the different penalties, and the rules that govern scrums, rucks and mauls.

This looks like a pretty good beginner's guide: https://passport.worldrugby.org/beginners_guide/downloads/Beginners_Guide_2015_EN.pdf

When they say the game is "Simple .... but complex."  That's accurate in a kind of stupid way.  There was a friendly game earlier this year between England and New Zealand in which a score was disallowed (google "Courtney Lawes offside try") that prompted a ton of discussion and disagreement, with people citing to the rule books, drawing grids on the replay videos to show this or that and arguing about the definition of a "ruck" for weeks.

For me, a good rugby game is the best sports on television - constant action, intense, brutal, speed and strength elements combined. Nothing better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread