What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gonzalez nearing TE TD record (1 Viewer)

CalBear

Footballguy
It's probably worth noting that Tony Gonzalez now has 59 career TDs, just three shy of Shannon Sharpe's TE-record 62. I don't think Gonzo is particularly interested in stats, but I could see some extra red zone plays being called for him to try to get him the record this season. Just something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably worth noting that Tony Gonzalez now has 59 career TDs, just three shy of Shannon Sharpe's TE-record 62. I don't think Gonzo is particularly interested in stats, but I could see some extra red zone plays being called for him to try to get him the record this season. Just something to think about.
I think it would mean a lot to Gonzalez and the world in general if he could set the record this weekend in Cleveland.

:thumbup:

I expect Gonzo to erase most of Sharpe's career records in the next two years - and good riddance of SS from the record book.

Never liked the guy much, though he DID help me win a couple of FF chamnps.

Would love to see Gonzo's name in the book over the next two weeks.

I remember when Sharpe broke the record a few years back - he caught 3 TD's in one game ... I remember well because he was on my team. I wonder if Tony has a similar day?

Ni?

Gonzalez doesn't get thrown enough balls to catch three touchdowns.
67 targets on the year = 7th most targeted TE.He is 5 targets on the year behind Crumpler, who caught 3 TDs on 8 targets in one game.he is targeted enough to do it. that isn't the problem

67 targets on the year = 7th most targeted TE.He is 5 targets on the year behind Crumpler, who caught 3 TDs on 8 targets in one game.he is targeted enough to do it. that isn't the problem
He'd also been much more involved after his private meeting with Edwards and before suffering his injury:Week 7: 8 targetsWeek 8: 6 targetsWeek 9: 5 targetsWeek 10: 13 targetsHe only had 4 last week against the Broncos but since Bailey arrived Denver has historically owned Gonzalez so it wasn't a surprise he didn't have a huge game against them.

the problem is that Larry Johnson steals the otuchdowns
Certainly KC has done a lot of running in the red zone these past couple of years; I'm just pointing out the possibility that for the next few games, they might be a little more inclined to throw it.

Sharpe also had 10,060 yards recieving which is pretty amazing. Of course thats less than half of Jerry Rice's career, but thats dirty pool. Gonzo's got 8433 yards recieving, probly be a couple more years before he breaks that record.

the problem is that Larry Johnson steals the otuchdowns
agreed.WHERE the targets come from was not the objection - it was the sheer number. So, I pointed out a fact.

Sharpe also had 10,060 yards recieving which is pretty amazing. Of course thats less than half of Jerry Rice's career, but thats dirty pool. Gonzo's got 8433 yards recieving, probly be a couple more years before he breaks that record.
Yup - but Gonzo will get it.

Surprising to see them throwing as much as they are, but I guess when the opposing defense gangs up so heavily for the run, it's to be expected. Can't argue with the results. I'll take it.

He should at least match Sharpe this season.

Does he have to do it all in one game though to catch up and beat Sharpe? Couldn't he have paced himself throughout the season. The week I go against him in three leagues he decides to explode. grrr Figures

Gonzo's now at 61, one behind Sharpe's 62. The Ravens defense is a tough matchup for KC, but I still expect Gonzo to get TD looks when they're in the red zone. I also think he'd like to get the record within the next two weeks, when he's playing against Todd Heap and Antonio Gates.

It still blows my mind Gonzo is only 30 years-old. It seems like he's been in the League forever.

For comparative purposes, Sharpe played until he was 35. If Gonzo does the same, he could set some jaw-dropping numbers for the TE position. I could see Gonzo finishing with 12k yards and 90 TD's.

It still blows my mind Gonzo is only 30 years-old. It seems like he's been in the League forever.For comparative purposes, Sharpe played until he was 35. If Gonzo does the same, he could set some jaw-dropping numbers for the TE position. I could see Gonzo finishing with 12k yards and 90 TD's.
Craziest part is that he's been in the league for 10 years! He started playing pro-football when he was TWENTY. That is young folks.

And TEs - especially pass-catchig TEs - have a lot of longevity.

SSharpe played 14 years to get his career records.

Gonzo will have busted all of them in 10-13 years. I could see Gonzo playing at least as long as SSharpe did - or until he gets a ring or two.

Sharpe already had three rings when he retired, and I am pretty sure he could have played a few more years if he wanted.

In his last three games at San Diego, Gonzalez has caught 25 passes for 269 yards and 3 TDs.

I think he ties the record this week.

Brave call I know. :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread