What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got hurt after I left work 3 weeks ago and my employer is giving me a hard time since the issue (1 Viewer)

Karma hit my supervisor this week and one other coworker. Coworker trashing me went out with a back injury leaving my supervisor more short handed for the time being.

Karma hit my supervisor this week and one other coworker. Coworker trashing me went out with a back injury leaving my supervisor more short handed for the time being.

Gotta say DJax, to be celebrating your colleagues' misfortune and hardship is a pretty strong indicator for me that this job is not a good fit for you and you should move on asap. Good luck sir.
Im not celebrating him getting hurt I hope he gets better at the sametime I can’t dispute that his health issues are from his copious illegal drug use either many have tried to help him on. I’m just a believer in karma. Both he and my boss were talking about me negatively. I hope my coworker is ok but I don’t feel bad my boss is now even more short handed

Best of luck to you. I honestly think you just need to move on and find a new job/employer when you can. When you don’t see eye to eye with your employer and the trust between the both of you is eroded—there is no reason to continue a working relationship.

Best of luck to you. I honestly think you just need to move on and find a new job/employer when you can. When you don’t see eye to eye with your employer and the trust between the both of you is eroded—there is no reason to continue a working relationship.
Im currently looking. I got into this OVR program the state has for helping people like me get a new job. I’m currently in the beginning process. When I do leave they aren’t getting a 2 week notice. They didn’t earn or deserve that right with how they’ve handle things over the years for me

Im currently looking. I got into this OVR program the state has for helping people like me get a new job. I’m currently in the beginning process. When I do leave they aren’t getting a 2 week notice. They didn’t earn or deserve that right with how they’ve handle things over the years for me

Re: the bolded, it’s your prerogative. And I suspect that the last thing you are looking for is advice. But my suggestion would be to consider leaving in a professional manner, no matter how badly you feel you’ve been mistreated. Being tagged as not eligible for rehire can have repercussions for you down the road. HR or management folks that played no role in mistreating you might end up somewhere else down the road where they can open a door for you. Your reputation matters and can follow you in unexpected ways.

I think that looking for something new is absolutely the right move and I wish you nothing but good luck in that endeavor. As another poster already mentioned—how you leave your job is certainly your decision. With that said, in my personal opinion—you should be your authentic self when it comes to the manner in which you are leaving. You shouldn’t let other peoples poor behavior affect your behavior. You come across as a person that prefers fairness and kindness over petty revenge. You owe it to yourself to be true to your values more than you need to act out and be something that you are not. My advice is to continue your search, and when you find something—leave in a professional and authentic manner. I am a firm believer in karma—and my recommendation to you is to allow karma to do its thing in regards to the wrongdoings that your employer has put you through. Good luck.

You guys know he's a grocery store clerk right?
Sure, and that doesn’t make a difference. Regardless of what someone does for work- they need to advocate for themselves and wellbeing being, and should be genuine and authentic in their actions
I was more referring to the 2 weeks

I gave two weeks when I left my job at Target and at Blockbuster Video. The only job I ever quit without notice was a shady telemarketing job in college. I bailed after two hours and told them they didn’t have to pay me.

Sure, and that doesn’t make a difference. Regardless of what someone does for work- they need to advocate for themselves and wellbeing being, and should be genuine and authentic in their actions
I was too. Two weeks notice is pretty standard for leaving any job imo. When he said he wasn’t going to give them 2 weeks notice when he left—I interpreted that as meaning that he normally would give a two week notice—but that he wasn’t going to do so as some sort of payback or revenge towards them. I just think that one is always better off acting in a genuine and authentic way and not letting the poor actions of others pull you down into acting like something that you are not. Often times, this is easier said that done—and I’ve certainly been guilty of acting out of character when I’m emotionally charged or feel wronged. I generally end up regretting it the massive majority of the time.

Re: the bolded, it’s your prerogative. And I suspect that the last thing you are looking for is advice. But my suggestion would be to consider leaving in a professional manner, no matter how badly you feel you’ve been mistreated. Being tagged as not eligible for rehire can have repercussions for you down the road. HR or management folks that played no role in mistreating you might end up somewhere else down the road where they can open a door for you. Your reputation matters and can follow you in unexpected ways.
The 2 week notice or whatever is just a bS courtesy thing corporations made to connivance them. If they can fire you without 2 weeks notice we shouldn’t have to give it to them.

I work at a grocery store. No one follows the 2 weeks unless they are coming back because of leaving for school and living there.

I think that looking for something new is absolutely the right move and I wish you nothing but good luck in that endeavor. As another poster already mentioned—how you leave your job is certainly your decision. With that said, in my personal opinion—you should be your authentic self when it comes to the manner in which you are leaving. You shouldn’t let other peoples poor behavior affect your behavior. You come across as a person that prefers fairness and kindness over petty revenge. You owe it to yourself to be true to your values more than you need to act out and be something that you are not. My advice is to continue your search, and when you find something—leave in a professional and authentic manner. I am a firm believer in karma—and my recommendation to you is to allow karma to do its thing in regards to the wrongdoings that your employer has put you through. Good luck.
Yeah obviously I’m not going to be immature about it. I’ll let them know I’m done and will just say if I take this job I need to start right away they can’t wait 2 weeks.

I gave two weeks when I left my job at Target and at Blockbuster Video. The only job I ever quit without notice was a shady telemarketing job in college. I bailed after two hours and told them they didn’t have to pay me.
Honestly I think it depends on the job and people. If you liked where you worked the people and management absolutely give them some sort of earlier notice. But I’d you hate management shady job etc I wouldn’t bother.

Only problem I see (and I saw it firsthand with my son and another friend) is they tell you you're not needed anymore and don't pay you, leaving you without income for two weeks until your new start date.

The 2 week notice or whatever is just a bS courtesy thing corporations made to connivance them. If they can fire you without 2 weeks notice we shouldn’t have to give it to them.

I work at a grocery store. No one follows the 2 weeks unless they are coming back because of leaving for school and living there.
You should really heed bigbottom's advice here as he's one of the smartest and most helpful people on the board.
You've worked there for 20 years, no? Who do you think a potential employer is going to check for references? It's one thing if a high school or college kid quits without notice on a job they've worked at a few months. Your situation is entirely different. I have hired a lot of people over the years, and I've been called on for references a lot of times as well. The most damning thing I can hear from a reference is that they are not eligible for rehire. Conversely, that is one of the worst things I can say to someone checking in on my former employees. g'luck to you djackson10

eta - in regard to being fired without two weeks notice, you are correct. but then you can apply for unemployment benefits while looking for a new job. If you quit without notice, good luck with that. (not an expert, and it certainly varies state to state)

You should really heed bigbottom's advice here as he's one of the smartest and most helpful people on the board.
You've worked there for 20 years, no? Who do you think a potential employer is going to check for references? It's one thing if a high school or college kid quits without notice on a job they've worked at a few months. Your situation is entirely different. I have hired a lot of people over the years, and I've been called on for references a lot of times as well. The most damning thing I can hear from a reference is that they are not eligible for rehire. Conversely, that is one of the worst things I can say to someone checking in on my former employees. g'luck to you djackson10

eta - in regard to being fired without two weeks notice, you are correct. but then you can apply for unemployment benefits while looking for a new job. If you quit without notice, good luck with that. (not an expert, and it certainly varies state to state)

My company only allows for reference to only allow them to tell a new potential employer when start and finish dates as well as what they did there. There was an issue in my last company where a store manager lied about a persons termination do to personal vendetta and got the company sued. Someone who was friends with them at my store when we got taken over asked about this and they said company policy only allows us to tell them when you started and finished and what your job title/s were. If they want to confirm we were fired they have to call corporate offices not the store

My company only allows for reference to only allow them to tell a new potential employer when start and finish dates as well as what they did there. There was an issue in my last company where a store manager lied about a persons termination do to personal vendetta and got the company sued. Someone who was friends with them at my store when we got taken over asked about this and they said company policy only allows us to tell them when you started and finished and what your job title/s were. If they want to confirm we were fired they have to call corporate offices not the store

So your company cavalierly violates employment laws such as ADA and FMLA, but you expect them to steadfastly comply with internal policies for reference checks? If they (or your manager) say you are not eligible for rehire because you failed to give two weeks notice, they would be telling the truth and wouldn’t be violating any laws.

Last edited:
FWIW Albertson's Companies corporate won't confirm fired or not. They won't advise rehire eligible or not. They'll give start/end dates and job title and that's it. Then refer you to the work number.

I'd give 2 weeks to ensure you're rehire eligible should you ever want/need to return to the company. Even if you dislike the place, you never know what may happen in the future.

FWIW Albertson's Companies corporate won't confirm fired or not. They won't advise rehire eligible or not. They'll give start/end dates and job title and that's it. Then refer you to the work number.

I'd give 2 weeks to ensure you're rehire eligible should you ever want/need to return to the company. Even if you dislike the place, you never know what may happen in the future.

But this misses the point I was trying to make. Managers and HR representatives move from company to company. Even if the company follows its own policy regarding reference checks, that doesn’t mean that those people aren’t in a position at some other place in the future to make a decision and that data point may follow you. Again, it’s his prerogative and I understand why he would want to leave without giving notice, so I’ll just leave it at that.

If it's not a HIPPA violation, How's the recovery going?

here's the way around that, because I have seen it in action:

Potential new manager calls old manager. Says to old manager: Hi, I am confirming employment. is this employee eligible for re-hiring?

old manager: No

Potential new manager: Thanks (No longer potential new manager)

Normally, I think the 2 week thing depends on the field you are in, but working somewhere that long, you wanna leave on good terms. The best revenge is getting a better job, and living a better life.

So your company cavalierly violates employment laws such as ADA and FMLA, but you expect them to steadfastly comply with internal policies for reference checks? If they (or your manager) say you are not eligible for rehire because you failed to give two weeks notice, they would be telling the truth and wouldn’t be violating any laws.

Yeah then they can have a wonderful conversation with the department of labor of covering up 2 guys who sold one another illegal drugs while the other my coworker has talked and sold it at work. Everyone from the district manager store manager and my department head know about it and covered that up.

I don’t think my store would do anything because they know I got enough dirt to get multiple people hire up fired, lose a pension or a possible retirement package when the new company comes in. It’d just be stupid if then to do.

Trust me I’m never going back to food retail again. The amount of ignorance from bosses to even customers is enough to make people worried about the future of the world. I think many would be appalled by a lot of things if they saw it first hand. The pandemic made it 100xs worse. A lot of people in my in my company showed their true colors since then.

I wouldn’t even put my kids if I ever have any through food retail like a grocery store.

And you’d be surprised how many people they’ve rehired who have done poorly for us and just left etc. hell they rehired a guy they were looking into for stealing over the summer. That’s how desperate they are

I can sort of relate to your struggles DJax. I'm being paid to go to school so it's kind of like a job and now the Dean is threatening to kick me out over my attendance. I don't like being threatened. I feel it's unjust. I'm still in compliance with their attendance policy and other students have done worse. I think I'm being targeted because I'm honest to a fault and my honesty has been twisted in inaccurate ways. My immediate reaction is to fight them. Show up late on purpose and then take them to arbitration if I'm disenrolled but that is my immature side leading me to feel that way. I just need to attend for 2 more weeks and then they can't mess with the money that I have received. So that is what I will do. And once those 2 weeks are up, I will move on to something else. Hopefully, my next endeavour will be more enjoyable and my attendance better.

So let me run this down:

1. No HIPPA violation occurred. That would fall on the doc/hospital if they gave up the info requested without your permission. Non issue.
2. Work called the girlfriend digging for info. Again, no legal ramifications. Should they have called you and checked on you? Yes. The fact that they didn't means they are crappy people but doesn't mean they did anything wrong legally.
3. You're situation isn't unique to you. thousands of people everyday hate their job, have crappy direct bosses, You don't like your employer. They may not like you. It sucks. I get it. And I understand your unique situation. People in general don't like change but in your case, I think change might be the best thing you can do.

No reason to be petty. No reason to be unprofessional. Do things the right way. Find something else and move on. It sucks and it hurts sometimes but you will be ok. You seem like an intelligent person that would benefit from a change of scenery. Just embrace it and don't think about the one or 2 people you might miss.

Wish you luck.

Yeah then they can have a wonderful conversation with the department of labor of covering up 2 guys who sold one another illegal drugs while the other my coworker has talked and sold it at work. Everyone from the district manager store manager and my department head know about it and covered that up.

I don’t think my store would do anything because they know I got enough dirt to get multiple people hire up fired, lose a pension or a possible retirement package when the new company comes in. It’d just be stupid if then to do.
Blow the whistle on the illegal activity, then give your 2 weeks notice. If they send you home immediately, it can be construed as retaliatory. Sue them. WIn.

Blow the whistle on the illegal activity, then give your 2 weeks notice. If they send you home immediately, it can be construed as retaliatory. Sue them. WIn.

Sue them for two weeks’ pay?

and I don’t mean this disrespectfully - but two weeks of what they pay at a Supermarket, no less.

Yeah, it's his money. Compensatory and punitive damages. And this is all in the land of make belief, so what better way for DJ to spend his free time than gloat?

Yeah, it's his money. Compensatory and punitive damages. And this is all in the land of make belief, so what better way for DJ to spend his free time than gloat?

Yeah, you won’t get compensatory or punitive damages on those facts. No plaintiff’s lawyer worth his/her salt would touch a case with two weeks’ pay as actual damages, even with an outside shot at punitives. But yeah, it’s fun to think about.

@bigbottom has already provided great input in this thread, but I want to further stress the point because it goes far beyond the legalities. @DJackson10 the reason I strongly suggest you give your two weeks notice is because you don't know who will notice that offer nor when it will be appreciated, but 10 years down the line when life takes you in some direction the person who noticed you do this very likely will remember and you get rewarded (whether it be with a job, by a referral, or because you want to date his or her daughter or some such).

To explain what I mean, we have a policy at my office whereby we will always (assuming no conflict) make sure that anybody who calls gets to talk to a lawyer for a few minutes at no charge. Now, I can tell you, these calls can be brutal and seem like a total waste of time. Oftentimes these calls are because somebody wants to sue or feel like they've been wronged but it's clear immediately that there's either no legal remedy or it's just not going to be financially worthwhile to pay a lawyer thousands to go after hundreds. But, nonetheless, we make sue that these callers are at least heard and we try to professionally and politely express sympathy and explain why, perhaps, we aren't going to sue the vending machine company for eating your dollar or whatever the matter may be. Now, why do we "waste" that 15-20 minutes or whatever when we certainly don't have to and maybe even those calls aren't deserving of a call back? Because that caller with her cat up the tree may, in the future, have a friend or loved one who gets in serious trouble or is the victim in a car accident and that caller will remember how professional the answering attorney was and refer them to us.

Similarly, in you situation, you aren't giving the 2 weeks because your boss or immediate company deserves it. You're doing it because, in life, it's almost always worthwhile not burning any bridges and you never know who you may be impressing with your actions and how it may unexpectedly benefit you down the road.

Last edited:

I hated K-Mart so bad in high school I told HR I had some problems at home and had to move in with my dad a few cities away immediately and could give 2 weeks
They told me once I got settled to let them know and they’d get me work out there

I remember calling off at blockbuster once and then going in to rent a movie that didn’t go over well either

Yeah, you won’t get compensatory or punitive damages on those facts. No plaintiff’s lawyer worth his/her salt would touch a case with two weeks’ pay as actual damages, even with an outside shot at punitives. But yeah, it’s fun to think about.
Actually people have won cases or wrongful termination and gotten back pay for it do to retaliation firing

So a few updates. Had a small bacterial infection I was on antibiotics for that was common from surgery a few weeks ago. Pt is going well and started strength training range of motion almost fully back. Have an appointment with the Dr mon after thanksgiving to possible give all clear to work.

My union guy apparently talked to my supervisor about his behavior but come to find out recently from others it is still coninuing. He’s now from targeting my gf who works in the department giving her some **** hrs and when she asks about her new hours and he is a smartass or brings me up and anyone who asks about something with hrs apparently I’m blamed.

When I go back I’m gonna have a talk with my store director. Tell him if he gives me those hrs I will use my seniority to bump those ahead of me plus file a claim again my department manager and if that doesn’t work I’ll go as far up the later as needed. I’ll tell him how disappointed myself and family are how everything was handled for an employee who’s been loyal for 20 yrs was treated worse then an employee who was only there for less then 2 yrs. There’s other issues there in my department I want addressed like the drug addict racist and being blamed for someone else’s poor work but I do t need a long drawn out page for that.

I’m going back a new person. Someone who’s gonna be clear of their boundaries and what I can do and not be pushed over solely because of being autistic. I think a few people are gonna be in for a surprise.

Spend less time trying to find ways to get back at your current company and more time finding another line of work.
The job market is tough for the leftovers. I'm very accustomed to submitting applications and never hearing back. But when I squeeze my foot in the door, I can usually secure a job. A couple weeks ago, I visited a local hotel that is seeking a weekend worker. The pay is comparatively low but it's only 2 blocks from my apartment and the schedule works with my life. I spoke to the lady, who is covering the weekends until she hires relief, and she seemed disturbed by my hand written resume. "Are you computer literate?" She asked. She also repeatedly impressed upon me the importance of presence. "When the weddings happen on Saturday, we need someone who really has a presence," She said, while lifting her hands skyward. I was standing tall, freshly shaven and wearing pants. Did I not have enough presence? I guess not, never heard back.

Actually people have won cases or wrongful termination and gotten back pay for it do to retaliation firing

Not on the facts presented. If you voluntarily quit with two weeks notice and the retaliatory act is to relieve you on the spot, your damages are limited to pay for the two weeks of work you were denied.

Users who are viewing this thread