What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, trump can't mention a specific drug without people losing their minds but the government can push a vaccine?   Seems like an odd take.

I have a child that has all sorts of issues almost every time we have given them a vaccine.  Highly unlikely I'm going to force this one and put them through more misery.   Deal with it.
Sorry to hear about your child’s issues, that sucks.  
But I have no idea what your “deal with it” comment is about.  How am I not “dealing with it”?  

*also wonder why you didn’t include Noonan in this “deal with it” statement. 🤔

So now Trump's guidelines are the measuring stick for your whining to stop? Sign me up, let's see how that goes. 
It should be Trump's. However he chose to encourage the demonstrations arguing against the restrictions (restrictions in place because the states have NOT met Trump's criteria).

I asked some questions in here yesterday about the plan to re-open because I was behind the curve. I was curious to know the guidelines because all I heard was that it was vague.

Well, turns out it’s not too vague, LOL. Typical partisan nonsense & the kind of blind hate I want destroyed, which is one of the many reasons I’m voting for Trump & to continue to help reset the ugly game of politics in this country.

From all the #####ing about it, I assumed there wasn’t a strict criteria, but the first thing I ran across was the 2-week downward trajectory.

Some states are blowing off what’s probably the most important step. Yeah, blow off a crucial step. Trump’s fault.

I’ll look into the guidelines in detail, but you’ve at least got to do the steps that are cut & dried. It’s just so typical of the toxic atmosphere now.

This will be my last attempt at engaging.  You keep begging for serious discussion, yet you're stating that people saying the guidelines are too vague are guilty of "partisan nonsense" and "blind hate", then later admit you hadn't even read the guidelines.  Have you read them or not?  If not, isn't a little premature to state "turns out it's not too vague, LOL" and "blind hate"?  If you have read them, why not respond to serious posts asking detailed questions about certain elements that other posters find vague?

This will be my last attempt at engaging.  You keep begging for serious discussion, yet you're stating that people saying the guidelines are too vague are guilty of "partisan nonsense" and "blind hate", then later admit you hadn't even read the guidelines.  Have you read them or not?  If not, isn't a little premature to state "turns out it's not too vague, LOL" and "blind hate"?  If you have read them, why not respond to serious posts asking detailed questions about certain elements that other posters find vague?
I’ve looked into them enough to know there are some strict criteria mixed with less strict criteria. I’ll certainly look into it further.

The biggest elements aren’t vague, which is my point. Highlighting the less strict criteria & not admitting some states aren’t even trying to meet the requirements is the nonsense you & some others are spewing.

It looks to be a solid plan with strict criteria & lots of measures designed to keep a downward trajectory (the main goal).

Understanding that isn’t rocket science.

The biggest elements aren’t vague, which is my point. Highlighting the less strict criteria & not admitting some states aren’t even trying to meet the requirements is the nonsense you & some others are spewing.
What's not vague is the required "14 days of downward trajectory". What states have met that?

I’ve looked into them enough to know there are some strict criteria mixed with less strict criteria. I’ll certainly look into it further.

It looks to be a solid plan with strict criteria & lots of measures designed to keep a downward trajectory (the main goal).

I don't believe I spewed any nonsense.  I asked some questions.  If you'd like to highlight the items below that you consider nonsense, maybe that would help.  You must appreciate that when others attempt to ask questions and offer specific points, answers like "that's nonsense" are the very opposite of serious discussion.

Before we even get to the phases, under the heading Core State Preparedness Guidelines, we see the following:

* Ability to quickly set up safe and efficient screening and testing sites for symptomatic individuals and trace contacts of COVID+ results
* Ability to test Syndromic/ILI-indicated persons for COVID and trace contacts of COVID+ results
* Ensure sentinel surveillance sites are screening for asymptomatic cases...
* Protect the health and safety of workers in critical industries
* Protect employees and users of mass transit

All extremely vague.  What does "protect" mean?  No reference to number of tests that should be performed per capita.  No definition of how contact tracing should be performed, or how many days to trace back.

Let's look at the criteria to get to phase 1.  "Downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period" OR "Downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests)".  Pretty vague, considering the portion before the OR can be satisfied simply by not performing tests.  No mention of number of tests that should/must be performed.  No mention of tests per capita.

So you haven't even read the thing but feel you can claim others are "spewing nonsense" on the issue?

BTW, your idea of engaging is to tell people to ignore me as you’ve done previously.

That looks to be your go-to tactic when you fall behind on a debate

Georgia certainly hasn't met this.
Neither has Tennessee nor Florida. Speaking of Florida, they may have been undercounting their covid-19 deaths.

Hampered by a lack of testing, consistent under-counting

Lack of widespread testing in the early stages of the Florida outbreak could have limited health providers from labeling a death as being from the coronavirus, too, said Thomas Hladish, a researcher at the University of Florida’s Department of Biology and Emerging Pathogens Institute.

“It is much more likely that deaths coded as pneumonia and influenza were actually COVID deaths,” Hladish said of the recent spike.

Data shows that the Florida Department of Health has consistently undercounted the deaths in its COVID-19 dashboard. For example, on April 13, the states’ dashboard showed only 92 dead in Broward County. Yet data obtained from the Broward County Medical Examiners’ Office shows that there were actually 120 deaths from COVID-19 in the county. Similar gaps between county medical examiner data and the state death reports were present on Friday, April 10, when the Sun Sentinel obtained lists of the dead from Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Broward counties.

The discrepancies have prompted questions and criticism from Florida’s Democratic congressional delegation. On April 15, U.S. Reps. Ted Deutch and Donna Shalala, along with 11 of their Florida Democratic congressional colleagues, wrote to Gov. DeSantis, questioning the “inconsistencies between COVID-19 death tracking methods used by the Florida Department of Health and county medical examiners.”

The Sun Sentinel followed up with the State Department of Health for answers. It has yet to receive a reply.

GOP Texas lieutenant governor says we need to take risk to get back to work: "There are more important things than living"
Terrific !

Governors like this are going to preserve American life as we know it. 

Nice job Governor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but the thing about testing is that if we don’t do it, the numbers won’t go up and we won’t look as bad.

Sadly I actually think this is some of the thinking here.

What are the strict criteria and measures? Are they verifiable? If so, how so?

Some results on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment.

The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment. But with 368 patients, it’s the largest look so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19...

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival...

What are the strict criteria and measures? Are they verifiable? If so, how so?
Well, let’s see here...

I’m kind of in the middle of it, but right off the bat (first thing listed) there’s strict criteria for both symptoms & cases (14-day downward trajectory).

Now, that means each state will need to apply their data to the criteria, and bingo, they will have an answer to a critical part of re-opening.

Well, let’s see here...

I’m kind of in the middle of it, but right off the bat (first thing listed) there’s strict criteria for both symptoms & cases (14-day downward trajectory).

Now, that means each state will need to apply their data to the criteria, and bingo, they will have an answer to a critical part of re-opening.
I believe the problems with those criteria were mentioned upthread:

Let's look at the criteria to get to phase 1.  "Downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period" OR "Downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests)".  Pretty vague, considering the portion before the OR can be satisfied simply by not performing tests.  No mention of number of tests that should/must be performed.  No mention of tests per capita.
Anything beyond this in terms of strict criteria and measures?

What’s vague about it? Not vague at all.

So it’s vague because of a supposed loophole that allows states not to perform tests at all? Really? That’s a good one.

This is the kind of nonsense I’m talking about. From what I can tell, some states (if not all) that have opened are blowing off the guidelines.

As far as that goes, many people are ok with that going by protests in other states. It’s hard not to want what you need, thus, the delicate balancing act we’re in.

I’m not even saying there’s a right or wrong way to do it, but I have a real problem with a certain segment of society who blames the teacher when they don’t follow directions & fails a test.

This is the kind of nonsense I’m talking about. From what I can tell, some states (if not all) that have opened are blowing off the guidelines.
No nonsense. The bolded IS the problem.

You're getting there. And to be clear, I'm not blaming Trump for the states' actions. ALL states should absolutely follow the administration's minimum guidelines. Which by the way, also includes extensive testing. Something we're woefully lacking.

Why do you continue to post bad studies? It doesn't really help anyone. We will have better information once good studies have been completed.

I also don't see where they took into account any underlying medical factors in the groups. 
Because:

it’s the largest look so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19
It may not end up being determined a rigorous enough study, but it does give us some information.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival
The sample size may be too small, there may be other considerations not taken into account. But it still gives some indication of the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine beyond assumptions, which is what many have been working off of until now.

I just can't believe the president of the "United States" publicly calls out Governors... We're all supposed to be in this together.

One nation indivisible and all that

The General said:
This is the President’s response to why you should take this drug. Do you have any information about it’s use?
What does that have to do with anything?  Why bring a trump comment in at all?  Was that relevant in any way to the article on a study you posted? Or just a knee jerk reaction to someone not echoing your opinion thoughts in your link?

I'd prefer not to spread bad information based on flawed studies.  Which your article  points out in the second paragraph. This goes both ways I can point to studies that say it works but then again they are just as flawed and would not post them to say it worked.  The best is probably the In Vitro results but once again not enough to say one way or the other.

What does that have to do with anything?  Why bring a trump comment in at all?  Was that relevant in any way to the article on a study you posted? Or just a knee jerk reaction to someone not echoing your opinion thoughts in your link?

I'd prefer not to spread bad information based on flawed studies.  Which your article  points out in the second paragraph. This goes both ways I can point to studies that say it works but then again they are just as flawed and would not post them to say it worked.  The best is probably the In Vitro results but once again not enough to say one way or the other.
But its a game changer

Gr00vus said:
Because:

It may not end up being determined a rigorous enough study, but it does give us some information.

The sample size may be too small, there may be other considerations not taken into account. But it still gives some indication of the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine beyond assumptions, which is what many have been working off of until now.
Not really as there could be a lot of underlying symptoms that influence the study.  There are several large scale 1,500+ well organized studies going on that will give us good answers.  Rigor and process is a must for these studies to truly tell us anything.

This is the political thread where political aspects of COVID are discussed.

If the president took the same view you did here this would have all been left to doctors and experts. 

Rigor and process is a must for these studies to truly tell us anything.
Thank you. This is the message a lot people have but we get accused of cheering for it to fail by some Trump supporters. The other quotes are from Trump himself. Very bad and worthless info indeed. But be careful, if you keep repeating these things you may be accused of hating Trump, hating America, and wishing for everything to fail.

But I also get why the latest study was posted. You're right that there is a lot of bad info being spread about its effectiveness. This one seems to be the best so far (even as bad as it is). Yet Trump was pushing it nightly as a potential "game changer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread