What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grab Dixon ASAP! (1 Viewer)

How would you rank the following for rest of season:GoodsonDixonJ. DavisGerhartIs Dixon the best of the 2nd fiddles?
GoodsonDixon (Gerhart is you own ADP)GerhartDavis.
It really depends on how the injury to Westbrook plays out. we have to see what he does this week. But it could be that Dixon is the main back if Westbrook is out. Also in Car, Stewart will be involved.I say:Dixon / GoodsonGerhartDavis

I've been loading up my roster with RB's with potential, just picked up Pierre Thomas after he was cut by his original owner. Picked up Anthony Dixon. Still sitting on Torain hoping he can make a comeback this season. Sitting on Goodson, Ivory, and Gerhart as well.
Holy cow...do you actually have any good RBs? ;)
LOL...I have Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. So I've got ADP and hoping to turn a pile of crap into a RB2.

I've been loading up my roster with RB's with potential, just picked up Pierre Thomas after he was cut by his original owner. Picked up Anthony Dixon. Still sitting on Torain hoping he can make a comeback this season. Sitting on Goodson, Ivory, and Gerhart as well.
Holy cow...do you actually have any good RBs? ;)
LOL...I have Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. So I've got ADP and hoping to turn a pile of crap into a RB2.
I'm hoping to turn a pile of crap into a RB 1

pantagrapher said:
I actually like Mike Hart in Indy a lot. I think he steals that job this weekend.
Hart is healthy again?
Looks like it:
Hart full go on Wednesday: Colts Team president Bill Polian is hopeful that and RB Mike Hart (ankle) might be able to play against the Cowboys on Sunday, and if Wednesday's practice was any indication, he just might. Hart was able to practice in full participation for the first time in weeks. (Updated 12/01/2010)
from cbs

pantagrapher said:
I actually like Mike Hart in Indy a lot. I think he steals that job this weekend.
Hart is healthy again?
Looks like it:
Hart full go on Wednesday: Colts Team president Bill Polian is hopeful that and RB Mike Hart (ankle) might be able to play against the Cowboys on Sunday, and if Wednesday's practice was any indication, he just might. Hart was able to practice in full participation for the first time in weeks. (Updated 12/01/2010)
from cbs
Hmmmm... between Hart and Brown, who is more likely to be the goal line back? How about the 3rd down back?

grabbed dixon off waivers today. westy went fast this week to the top pick. glad i was able to ninja thisreplaced crappy aaron hernandez
I can't believe that i was once debating with myself whether i should drop Aaron Hernandez for Tamme!! lol...thank goodness i made the right decision, Tamme may lead me to a championship...regarding Dixon, as I said from the beginning he is the play and NOT Westbrook. On the other Dixon thread, even before news of Westbrook's injury came out, I was on the Dixon bandwagon and said that he should be picked up before Wesbrook. Westbrook had more touches in the Monday night game, but the 49rs hadn't had a chance to gameplan. They just expanded Westbrook's current role, but this in no way means that they would do the same after a week. Westbrook is now a 3rd down RB at best, given time i think that the 49rs will play Dixon as the 1st/2nd down back and short-yard/goal-line RB and play Westbrook on 3rd and obvious passing downs. It just makes the most sense. They probably know better than anyone that if you want to destroy Westbrook, all you gotta do is run him 25 times a game. Even if he doesn't get injured, he will be dead after 1 game....Dixon will be the premier back regardless of Westbrook.

grabbed dixon off waivers today. westy went fast this week to the top pick. glad i was able to ninja thisreplaced crappy aaron hernandez
I can't believe that i was once debating with myself whether i should drop Aaron Hernandez for Tamme!! lol...thank goodness i made the right decision, Tamme may lead me to a championship...regarding Dixon, as I said from the beginning he is the play and NOT Westbrook. On the other Dixon thread, even before news of Westbrook's injury came out, I was on the Dixon bandwagon and said that he should be picked up before Wesbrook. Westbrook had more touches in the Monday night game, but the 49rs hadn't had a chance to gameplan. They just expanded Westbrook's current role, but this in no way means that they would do the same after a week. Westbrook is now a 3rd down RB at best, given time i think that the 49rs will play Dixon as the 1st/2nd down back and short-yard/goal-line RB and play Westbrook on 3rd and obvious passing downs. It just makes the most sense. They probably know better than anyone that if you want to destroy Westbrook, all you gotta do is run him 25 times a game. Even if he doesn't get injured, he will be dead after 1 game....Dixon will be the premier back regardless of Westbrook.
I think this may turn out to be true. Dixon has been more involved with practicing for special teams duty than to be a HB so far this season (based on what I've read and heard) so it makes sense that the team would go with the far more experienced Westbrook when Gore went down... But it's possible that the Niners will now transition Dixon off special teams what he can do as the team's primary ball carrier...

Did not practice again today , Personally I expect him to go Sunday but if he doesnt practice Friday then its time to worry.

Brian Westbrook - RB - 49ers

Brian Westbrook (ankle) was held out of practice again on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter

westy the play :lmao:

Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :lmao:
I wouldn't start either vs the Packers anyway...

Dixon is the no brainer play if you are in a dynasty league. There is no guarantee that Gore will be ready next year and this is a 5 game audition for him.

Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :popcorn:
Westy is not a good option, he is hurt obviously, why would you play a hurt guy this time of year. Dixon to get the GL carries for sure, but I would not play either.

Dixon is the no brainer play if you are in a dynasty league. There is no guarantee that Gore will be ready next year and this is a 5 game audition for him.
Gore will be ok by next year unless there is some sort of complication. If Westy isn't hurt now or against the Packers it's only a matter of time.

Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :whistle:
this guy carried the ball 5 times leading up until the week 12 game. One would think he would be ultra fresh but instead he needs to miss practice time already becuase he is sore after 15 carries. People thinking Westy is the aswer are blind. I'm not saying Dixon is going to be good either, but the westy hype resurgence is comical.

I just read this on the ESPN Jim McCormick chat today.

Jim, I was reading from another site that Westbrook is already hurt (ankle), but another source was saying this it's not true that he was getting a day off (Wed.) to rest from Mon. night game.....Jim, what is Westbrook's "real" status??

Jim McCormick (3:07 PM)

Westbrook has had ankle issues for quite some time, and he sat out practice Wed on account of some soreness. Which is to be expected after a dormant season followed by one night of feature work. Expect Dixon to be involved in the work more than we saw on Monday, but Westbrook will play and be a nice PPR value.

I just read this on the ESPN Jim McCormick chat today. Jim, I was reading from another site that Westbrook is already hurt (ankle), but another source was saying this it's not true that he was getting a day off (Wed.) to rest from Mon. night game.....Jim, what is Westbrook's "real" status??Jim McCormick (3:07 PM)Westbrook has had ankle issues for quite some time, and he sat out practice Wed on account of some soreness. Which is to be expected after a dormant season followed by one night of feature work. Expect Dixon to be involved in the work more than we saw on Monday, but Westbrook will play and be a nice PPR value.
The important thing is that westbrook will be in on passing situations, which could be a lot. PPR means westbrook is the play. Standard, I would say probably not.

Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :goodposting:
this guy carried the ball 5 times leading up until the week 12 game. One would think he would be ultra fresh but instead he needs to miss practice time already becuase he is sore after 15 carries. People thinking Westy is the aswer are blind. I'm not saying Dixon is going to be good either, but the westy hype resurgence is comical.
This.

Gore will be ok by next year unless there is some sort of complication. If Westy isn't hurt now or against the Packers it's only a matter of time.
The team announced that Gore will not require surgery to repair his fractured right hip, an injury suffered in Monday’s win at Arizona.Always a good sign

The team announced that Gore will not require surgery to repair his fractured right hip, an injury suffered in Monday’s win at Arizona.Always a good sign
Yeah, if you're a resident of del Boca Vista; not if you're 27.

Grabbed Dixon in the draft as my last pick to handcuff Gore and now its paying off. May be a really really good play next week against SEA.

Grabbed Dixon in the draft as my last pick to handcuff Gore and now its paying off. May be a really really good play next week against SEA.
He's behind Westy and hasnt started a game for you yet. I don't know if it's really paying off that much as of now.

Not exactly the kind of thing I would want to pay off but to each his own.

Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :lmao:
:goodposting:

emge said:
Gopher State said:
Jason LaCanfora indicated on NFL Network's Around the League Live Thursday afternoon that Westbrook is still in line to handle feature-back duties at Green Bay. Westbrook often missed early-week practices with the Eagles, and the 49ers appear to be following the same strategy. Beat writer Matt Barrows assures Westbrook will practice Friday and play Sunday. Check back Friday after to be sure that he remains on track.Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter westy the play :)
In his last three games against Green Bay, Westbrook has averaged 151.7 scrimmage yards per game and has four touchdowns (three receiving, one rushing)Westy has a good track record against Green Bay, bench him at you own risk

In his last three games against Green Bay, Westbrook has averaged 151.7 scrimmage yards per game and has four touchdowns (three receiving, one rushing)Westy has a good track record against Green Bay, bench him at you own risk
Did we sign Donovan McNabb and the Philly offense during the offseason too? Sweet!

Mediocre RB + mediocre line + medicore play calling + mediocre schedule = meh!
You realize most of the people in here are desperate for RB depth at this point in the season right?
Of course, I am scouring the waiver wire myself with all the injuries. A few backs out there that have better schedules and more talent IMO. If Dixon's schedule was better I would be on the train. A lot of potential backs but everything is a little cloudy. Choose wisely because some of the fog may lift this weekend and it could be too late.
You forgot about opportunity. I'd really like to know some who have better schedules, talent, AND opportunity who are available on the waiver wire. I'm being serious. I really need one.
I've been doing the same, behind my stud Foster I've grabbed Stewart, Spiller, T Jones, Blount, Woodhead, and this week Gerhart and Dixon. I'm still likely going to make the playoffs. If anyone tryies to tell me again next year to grab WRs earlier because their are many good RB options I will quickly remind them how hard it was to find RBs this year. BJGE and Hillis were great surprises that I did get in 2 leagues but there were many more RB busts.

NinerFan49 said:
I think this may turn out to be true. Dixon has been more involved with practicing for special teams duty than to be a HB so far this season (based on what I've read and heard) so it makes sense that the team would go with the far more experienced Westbrook when Gore went down... But it's possible that the Niners will now transition Dixon off special teams what he can do as the team's primary ball carrier...
Yes, this just makes sense. Does anyone truly believe that Westbrook is going to be the new bellcow RB for the 49rs who are a run dominant team? This is going to be a RBBC, as the only guy who can actually be a bellcow in that backfield is Dixon not Westbrook. So if Westbrook plays, at best it will be a RBBC. In that event, it makes the most sense to have Westbrook play the 3rd down / passing downs RB while Dixon plays the rest. Of course it is possible that it is to WEstbrooks' advantage, in that he could be in the same situation as LT and Dixon as Shonn Greene, but i think that this is the best possible scenerio for Westbrook (and that's basically a 50/50 split). I'm really expecting a 60/40 or 65/35 split to Dixon.We will see as this Sunday will tell us everything we need to know.

NinerFan49 said:
Yes, this just makes sense. Does anyone truly believe that Westbrook is going to be the new bellcow RB for the 49rs who are a run dominant team? This is going to be a RBBC, as the only guy who can actually be a bellcow in that backfield is Dixon not Westbrook. So if Westbrook plays, at best it will be a RBBC. In that event, it makes the most sense to have Westbrook play the 3rd down / passing downs RB while Dixon plays the rest. Of course it is possible that it is to WEstbrooks' advantage, in that he could be in the same situation as LT and Dixon as Shonn Greene, but i think that this is the best possible scenerio for Westbrook (and that's basically a 50/50 split). I'm really expecting a 60/40 or 65/35 split to Dixon.We will see as this Sunday will tell us everything we need to know.
I would agree with you too, but the only thing that has me thinking otherwise is that Mike S. said after game that he went with Westbrook because of experience. Of course, Gore going out during the game was not expected, so the workload split might chance next week with the week of practice. I am also hoping for Dixon to gets 60+% but don't I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't so right away. This week is not a good match up to play them either way. So let's just wait and see how the situation develops.

with Bradshaw splitting carries, I'd really like to see Dixon step up and take the job. I think this is a real possibility given Westy's history.

Dixon, meanwhile, will be counted on to replace Gore's power running style. That means that the 233-pound puppy has to remember he's a big dog.

"He has to learn that in this league, no one is fast enough to make guys miss the way he was trying to do it as far as dancing and things like that," Westbrook said. "Especially with his size, he has to think more downhill football. If he does that, he'll be all right."

Dixon, a sixth-round pick, was accustomed to juking defenders with his deceptive agility while at Mississippi State. He looked just as elusive against NFL backups during the preseason, when he led the league with 300 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns.

Dixon might to want to be the next Barry Sanders, but the 49ers want him to be more like more like John Riggins. Singletary urges the rookie to pound away like a sledgehammer.

"Every day," Dixon said. "He wants me to be power, you know? I tell him all the time 'I'm power, coach, but I dance well. I've got good hips, Coach. I've got good feet, too.'

"I know what he wants me to do, and I'm going to be there for the team. That's all I'm concerned with."

Westbrook ran for 136 yards against the Cardinals and Dixon ran for 54. Before he got hurt, Gore had time to rush for 52, giving the 49ers three players with at least 50 yards for the first time since 1998.

That was done against one of the NFL's worst defenses. On Sunday, the 49ers face a Packers defense allowing a league-fewest 15.1 points per game. The key for offensive coordinator Mike Johnson will be figuring out how to use the backs to complement each other.

"Well, we have to adapt a little bit. You know Frank is a big part of our offense," Johnson said. "I think (Westbrook and Dixon) are up to speed now, and now they'll be forced to do some things that Frank did for us. I think they're ready, they're capable, and they'll do a good job for us."
:lmao: gotta love this kids enthusiasm
In the 49ers' case, the answer will be two running backs who could not possibly be any more different.

"I would say I'm on one end of the spectrum and he's on the other," Westbrook said. "He's young. He's excited. He's full of something."

Dixon most certainly is. He's a rookie who went from homeless teenager to sixth-round draft pick. He laughs out loud. He smiles just because. When he's not delivering hits on special teams, he's smacking himself in the helmet for inspiration's sake.
Interesting background. Didn't know that.

Dixon was a 6th round pick. You're making him out like he was drafted in the 1st round.

if Dixon was that good he would have spelled Gore more during the season.

Coach Mike Singletary confirmed that he's taking it easy on Brian Westbrook (ankle) because of the short practice week.

It's not just Westbrook. Singletary has conducted lighter practices with more rest for all players. Westbrook is fully expected to start Sunday at Green Bay after returning to practice Friday afternoon. He's a good bet for 15-18 touches and RB2 status

per Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread