What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Drummers from our time (1 Viewer)

Drummer in a past life, and always have appreciated most of the ones mentioned here ... particularly Peart, Bonham, Collins, Beauford. I am surprised that no one outside of the OP has mentioned Carey, however.

In the drum world Gadd is God, Peart is the mesiah (he's got more followers than JC) and our good Buddy Rich is the holy spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil Peart for sure. Who can argue with that????
No one except Rush haters. Take him out of Rush and maybe he'd get on the top of the list from those folks. I watched nothing but Neil Peart at 3 concerts with his 360 drum set. Drums are my favorite instrument and bfs of the past have been drummers. I could do easy pieces slow. I would never know the amount of concentration and coordination it takes to do it! I lasted a couple minutes before losing track of music I knew beats to!

But up there is Gary Wallis! If you haven't seen his work with Pink Floyd 1987-1994 you missed great shows! Can't imagine bouncing around, jumping, having a full set up up down and all around of drums and percussion instruments for basically 2 hours solid. He gets the award for endurance drumming for sure! To me it's not just the banging but the energy and I haven't seen as much energy for so long from any drummer than from him!

Gavin Harrison is worth another mention. He is all kinds of awesome.

When it comes to rock music, guys like Peart, Moon and Bonham go without saying.

Bonham is clearly #1 IMO

Moon, Beauford, and Watts all deserve mention.

Peart is also clearly awesome, I just don't like Rush's music as much as the music of the others I mentioned. YYZ is spectacular, though.

my favorite right now.....Stanton Moore - hardest working man in New Orleans.

Too many New Orleans drummers to mention for this thread - but it always has to begin there since that is where American drumming pretty much is rooted.

No mentions of Dave Lombardo yet?

Portnoy is great, although, personally, for me, sometimes less could be more....

I like Bill Ward's early stuff, like in War Pigs...

Took to post 68 to have the first mention of Gadd.

Here's a Gadd/Colaiuta/Weckl triple drum solo that should blow you away.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_o0nlYigVo

Really picks up when Gadd lays down that amazing marching groove just before the 3 minute mark.

And a mention of Jeff Porcaro is overdue as well.

Bonham

Pert

Though NO one I know could do what Billy Cobham did.
Brother Billy Cobham was absolutely off the hook.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra was amazing. I love their stuff.
Wasn't he on Tribute to Jack Johnson with Miles? Has there ever been a drummer with that much range and technical ability in so many genres.

Users who are viewing this thread