What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Video Game Draft 2011 (1 Viewer)

I thought Red Dead had the best storyline of any game i ever played. I played all the Metal Gears and a few Final Fantasy and could really care less for the story's but Red Dead's tale of redemption really brings you into the actual head of John Marston. Looks like i would have been better off using Red Dead for 7th gen game
The thing is, the actual "story" there is pretty small. And it's not much of a redemption if you play the side missions as evil. Plus, there's a glaring lack of other memorable characters. Bonnie, for a brief second, was interesting, but then they just dropped her. That works against it.I thought the setting was top notch, though. It did capture that old west feel (as much as it could - I mean, none of us were actually there. :thumbup: ) If there was a "best setting" category, it's a top 3 game.
haha, best setting category would have been funny.

I thought Red Dead had the best storyline of any game i ever played. I played all the Metal Gears and a few Final Fantasy and could really care less for the story's but Red Dead's tale of redemption really brings you into the actual head of John Marston. Looks like i would have been better off using Red Dead for 7th gen game
The thing is, the actual "story" there is pretty small. And it's not much of a redemption if you play the side missions as evil. Plus, there's a glaring lack of other memorable characters. Bonnie, for a brief second, was interesting, but then they just dropped her. That works against it.I thought the setting was top notch, though. It did capture that old west feel (as much as it could - I mean, none of us were actually there. :thumbup: ) If there was a "best setting" category, it's a top 3 game.
ToeJam and Earl had to travel through lands they did not know and open presents they did not know what was inside of them. They had to swim, fall and rise in order to find their way home. They had to build their ship back up in the face of danger Earthlings and cupids and bees and kids and loads of other things that made their attempt to foil the home trip for those two. And, after much success and putting them ship back together, they finally get home to a parade full of happiness. If that is not the best story than I don't know what is. To rank it last is just awful... just awful.

ToeJam and Earl had to travel through lands they did not know and open presents they did not know what was inside of them. They had to swim, fall and rise in order to find their way home. They had to build their ship back up in the face of danger Earthlings and cupids and bees and kids and loads of other things that made their attempt to foil the home trip for those two. And, after much success and putting them ship back together, they finally get home to a parade full of happiness. If that is not the best story than I don't know what is. To rank it last is just awful... just awful.
It's the H.R Pufnstuf of games!!

The thing is, the actual "story" there is pretty small. And it's not much of a redemption if you play the side missions as evil. Plus, there's a glaring lack of other memorable characters. Bonnie, for a brief second, was interesting, but then they just dropped her. That works against it.I thought the setting was top notch, though. It did capture that old west feel (as much as it could - I mean, none of us were actually there. :shrug: ) If there was a "best setting" category, it's a top 3 game.
Really? I'm assuming you're being sarcastic but come on man! Thats about as good a story as a super fast hedgehog gathering rings and rescuing furry creatures from a manaical doctor who creates easily defeated robots to carry out his bizarre quest for world domination. Also as good as a giant turtle/dragon kidnapping a human female princess who's boyfriend is a plumber for some reason. ToeJam and Earl is the best story out of a long line of ridiculous plots for sidescrolling platformers but its not like its shakespeare or anything.

No sign of madshot? I will have some rankings done later today probably. At work now. Lets not let this die after all the hard work people put into this. Judges get to updating.

No sign of madshot? I will have some rankings done later today probably. At work now. Lets not let this die after all the hard work people put into this. Judges get to updating.
Judges have done a good job so far.

We're getting snow here but I am golfing anyway. I love golf.
Snow golf is fun. Especially when the lakes and ponds are frozen completely solid and there's no water hazzards, and they just skip across the ice.

We're getting snow here but I am golfing anyway. I love golf.
Snow golf is fun. Especially when the lakes and ponds are frozen completely solid and there's no water hazzards, and they just skip across the ice.
Dog legs ain't nothing. 400 yard drives+. Makes for some fun bets for those new to snow golf. :unsure:

Bump. Still waiting on the rankings from the following categories (judge in bold):

Fourth Generation - hooter311

Seventh Generation - STEADYMOBBIN 22

FPS/TPS - hooter311

Strategy/RTS - LHUCKS

Racing - *NEED A JUDGE*

Action/Adventure - Steve Tasker

Suspense/Horror - Insein

Best Main Character - Steve Tasker

Best Villain - Insein

Flex Video Game - Steve Tasker

Last edited by a moderator:
Racing

Haters, start your ENGINES!!

1. Gran Turismo IV - PS2 (2.03) – There’s so much… stuff in this game. I’m not a car guy so I didn’t get too much into the tweaking of the cars that I won. I just wanted to race so I pretty much bought whatever easy upgrades there were that didn’t involve much thinking. I loved the huge selection of tracks and cars. Unfortunately, I didn’t play my PS2 online so I never raced other people. But this game is so deep that it’s got ridiculous replay value as a single-player game.

2. Super Mario Kart - SNES (5.13) – Super Mario Kart is by far the funnest game on this list. Despite being cartoony, it is still pretty challenging on the 150cc level. I remember having battle mode tournaments in college with guys crowded around a 19” TV. There’s nothing quite like watching :nerd:s talking trash after winning a round with Toad.

3. Need for Speed - PC (5.01) – Used to torch my buddies in NFS (and it’s other spin-offs). I preferred using the keyboard arrow keys while my friends used the MS Sidewinder. The cars looked slick and the tracks were pretty. This was the perfect arcade racer if you just wanted to kill 10 minutes and not have to worry about how your car’s performance would be affected by damage and physics.

4. Pole Position - Arcade (20.08) – I think there’s a lot of value getting Pole Position in round 20. I originally wanted to rank this similarly as Excite Bike, but there are significant differences. For example, just about every racing game that came after Pole Position used the same POV, but I can’t think of any other left-to-right motorcycle games. If you touch another car in PP, you explode; if you crash in EB, you run back to the bike and keep riding. My point being that there are more features still in use from PP than Excite Bike.

5. Forza Motorsport 3 - Xbox 360 (20.05) – I don’t have an Xbox so I never played Forza 3. But most of the reviews compare this to its competitor, Project Gotham Racing (which I have played and really enjoyed), and find it to be a better series than PGR. Based on that, I think a 20th round pick is a steal.

6. Burnout 3: Takedown - PS2 (8.07) – You can call this a racing game or better yet, a crashing game. The crazy over the top crashes and damage you cause is what sets this series apart. There have been destruction derby type games like Carmageddon and Twisted Metal, but Burnout mixes flashy speed effects with giant brain-numbing explosions to keep things fresh. Parents: don’t buy this for your kids.

7. Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road - Arcade (9.04) – I loved this game despite sucking at it. I would always get disoriented as to which way to turn the steering wheel. I’ve lost many a lead by turning the wrong way on the last corner. I got better when I got to practice on the SNES version.

8. Outrun - Arcade (14.06) – I remember sitting in the arcade machine with the red car and blonde chick in the passenger seat, missing a bunch of turns and crashing into a big billboard. I’m not sure what exactly it was that I was “outrunning” but it was still pretty fun.

9. Dirt 2 - Xbox 360 (26.12) – I haven’t played any version of Dirt 2, but I’ve seen the trailer graphics and they are awesome. It looks both realistic yet stylized at the same time. It got significantly better reviews than Motorstorm (which I found pretty fun), hence my ranking.

10. Super Sprint - Arcade (26.11) – I had the same problem with this game as I did with Super OffRoad; couldn’t steer worth a damn. For some reason, the trucks and the bumpy dirt ramps were a lot more fun than Formula1.

11. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer - Arcade (19.06) – I’ve never played this in the arcade and no one I knew had this on the N64 either (which got an average of 4 out of 5 stars in reviews). :IBTL:

12. Excite Bike - NES (9.10) – I’m not sure what to make of this pick. I suppose it should get some kudos for its edit mode and the implementation of overheating, but I didn’t find it very fun. Old doesn’t always equal classic.

13. R. C. Pro-Am - NES (14.02) – I tried this out of my NESticle emulator (the desktop icon was a pair of hairy balls). But I didn’t really keep my attention for long. I might have liked it more in the 80’s, but there are so many more impressive racers now that I wouldn't want to play this over any of the other racers I ranked above it.

Racing

5. Forza Motorsport 3 - Xbox 360 (20.05) – I don’t have an Xbox so I never played Forza 3. But most of the reviews compare this to its competitor, Project Gotham Racing (which I have played and really enjoyed), and find it to be a better series than PGR. Based on that, I think a 20th round pick is a steal.
It's interesting you mentioned PGR. I nearly picked Project Gotham Racing instead, which I preferred over Forza. But I decided to go with this one due to it being more mainstream after my first choice, Need For Speed (I would've taken the original Hot Pursuit) was taken. It's nice to see I would've placed about the same with PGR if I would have picked it.

SlaX said:
Bump. Still waiting on the rankings from the following categories (judge in bold):

FPS/TPS - hooter311

Strategy/RTS - LHUCKS

Racing - *NEED A JUDGE*

Suspense/Horror - Insein

Best Villain - Insein

Forgot LHUCKS is judging a category. That ought to be interesting.

Racing12. Excite Bike - NES (9.10) – I’m not sure what to make of this pick. I suppose it should get some kudos for its edit mode and the implementation of overheating, but I didn’t find it very fun. Old doesn’t always equal classic.

13. R. C. Pro-Am - NES (14.02) – I tried this out of my NESticle emulator (the desktop icon was a pair of hairy balls). But I didn’t really keep my attention for long. I might have liked it more in the 80’s, but there are so many more impressive racers now that I wouldn't want to play this over any of the other racers I ranked above it.
WTF? :thumbup:

can we get a new racing judge who knows something about racing games?

not that these games should be like 1 and 2 or anything, but to say they weren't good and aren't classic is just completely ridiculous....

Racing12. Excite Bike - NES (9.10) – I’m not sure what to make of this pick. I suppose it should get some kudos for its edit mode and the implementation of overheating, but I didn’t find it very fun. Old doesn’t always equal classic.

not that these games should be like 1 and 2 or anything, but to say they weren't good and aren't classic is just completely ridiculous....
I kind of agree. RC Pro Am especially was a precursor to all the games we see now where you can tweak your car. Plus excite Bike with the created tracks was awesome. I'd have put those around the middle of the pack at least. Plus, I love super Mario Kart but 2nd? I don't know.

I kind of agree. RC Pro Am especially was a precursor to all the games we see now where you can tweak your car. Plus excite Bike with the created tracks was awesome. I'd have put those around the middle of the pack at least. Plus, I love super Mario Kart but 2nd? I don't know.
I loved creating tracks in Excitebike. I even bought the new updated one on WiiWare.

I dunno, can you? :crickets:If Excite Bike was never created, what would we have missed. That's right, nothing. Excite Bike was the predecesor to anything.

I rank games in the order in which I would like to play them. I don't give bonus points for a game being old.

Just one man's opinion.

1. Gran Turismo IV - PS2 (2.03) – Would anyone really need me to explain why this is tops? Some of the best driving available, incredible amount of upgrades and things to tweak, more races than most people had time for. The entire GT series is basically the pinnacle of traditional racing games. The only downside that I remember is some of the license tests were busy work and kind of bull####ty. That's it.

2. Burnout 3: Takedown - PS2 (8.07) – One of my favorite racing games of all time, not only does it have a great sense of speed to it, but one of the few racing games with actual difficulty attached. Plus it feels cathartic sometimes just so smash sports cars into buses and stare at the tangled wreckage. Probably the best part of the game was that the controls felt like an arcade racer and responded in turn, there's only so many realistic simulator sessions you can have before you feel like just driving at an unreal speed. With multiple modes of good times to be had, one of the top choices.

3. Super Mario Kart - SNES (5.13) – While it's obviously a racing game, it feels odd to have a list with GT and then moving into Mario Kart. Super Mario Kart is actually worse than 64 to many people, but still one of the best games in the series. Tight controls, inventive use of items and a sweet battle mode makes this one of the best competitive racing games back in the day.

4. R. C. Pro-Am - NES (14.02) – I don't know if the other guy actually played this game, personally I still have the NES cart siting on my shelf. We're still in top tier games here, especially when taking into account age. This game, unlike Super Sprint, is still fun to pick up and play and with a graphics upgrade could've easily been mistaken for a game made a decade later. Not only was this one of the first racing games to feature upgrades and offensive items, but was one of the first to really incorporate the idea of drifting into the racing. This made the controls feels loose and allowed you to get away with sliding, which was laughable in other games.

The only thing that keeps this from being higher is the lack of a two-player mode. It remains higher than games with arguably more of an impact, because the game was reasonably fun to play and 'modern' for almost a decade after it was created.

5. Outrun - Arcade (14.06) – One of the first racing games to achieve a sense of speed and with some of the best graphics and sound available at the time. It also featured the first game to have multiple forks set-up and the ability to choose tracks instead of being stuck on a predetermined set of courses. More than all that the game was just good fun People still compare how modern arcade racers feel to Outrun, that's how good the game was.

6. Need for Speed - PC (5.01) – I actually hated the first Need for Speed, I think the later iterations are excellent though. If we're going by the actual first game in the series, I'd say this is a terrible choice, because there were arcade racers better than this game available at the time. That said, it was the first one with a more than a straight upgrade system, instead slowly turning it into the in-depth tuning games feature today.

7. Pole Position - Arcade (20.08) – Much like Excitebike, this game had some attributes that really set the bar for future racing games. Not only were the graphics amazing for the time they were created, it popularized the behind-the-car view many racing games use. I actually enjoy the gameplay more than Excite Bike which is why I place this a slot higher, but the point really is not 'how good were the 25-30 year old games' it was what innovations they brought to the table.

8. Excite Bike - NES (9.10) – Was a fun game for the time, the racing clearly doesn't stand the test of the time, but the gameplay was inspired for the time. Not only were the motorcyle controls and viewpoint different from what else was out at the time, but the implementation of overheating and the ability to design your own courses simply weren't done back then.

9. Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road - Arcade (9.04) – Fun game, nothing more. Controls were salvageable and the experience wasn't bad, which is all you can really ask for.

10. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer - Arcade (19.06) – All I remember thinking about this game was that the controls were garbage. Cute concept for sure, but the execution was pretty miserable.

11. Super Sprint - Arcade (26.11) – You know what wasn't a classic? This game. It was very simplistic and fine for what it was, just a bare bones driving game with a top-down perspective. In fact the reason is spawned imitators was precisely because it was so damn simple to make. The controls were some of the worst in a racing game.

Games I've never played:

Forza Motorsport 3 - Xbox 360 (20.05)

Dirt 2 - Xbox 360 (26.12)

The thing is, the actual "story" there is pretty small. And it's not much of a redemption if you play the side missions as evil. Plus, there's a glaring lack of other memorable characters. Bonnie, for a brief second, was interesting, but then they just dropped her. That works against it.I thought the setting was top notch, though. It did capture that old west feel (as much as it could - I mean, none of us were actually there. :bag: ) If there was a "best setting" category, it's a top 3 game.
A big part of what makes RDR memorable is its approach to storytelling. I get that that's technically different from the story itself, but the way the game plays out over the last couple of hours is epic.

WTF? :bye:

I dunno, can you? :crickets:If Excite Bike was never created, what would we have missed. That's right, nothing. Excite Bike was the predecesor to anything.

I rank games in the order in which I would like to play them. I don't give bonus points for a game being old.
well, going the obvious route, we wouldn't have Excite Bike 64, Excite Truck, or the two Excite Bots games (all pretty highly rated, too), or the WiiWare remake of Excite Bike...but I'm not arguing because its my game... in fact, if your reasoning would have been different than saying that Excite Bike and RC Pro Am "aren't classics", I probably wouldn't have said anything...

but to say they aren't classics is just ridiculous...

Racing

This will hurt the golf game a little bit but I never expected to get 13 points in the racing category. I thought 10 points would have been more reasonable but whom am I to argue. I will gladly take the 13 points here.

Racing

This will hurt the golf game a little bit but I never expected to get 13 points in the racing category. I thought 10 points would have been more reasonable but whom am I to argue. I will gladly take the 13 points here.
Sarcasm is an important part of any good golf game :D

So guess what, I come home today from work and my computer says that my hardrive has errors. Never got that one before. Ive been dealing with computers since I was like 11 (19 years) and I have never seen anything like this before. Computer won't even start the OS. I'll look at it later but I think my villains list along with everything else is gone. I'll start it from scratch later.

So guess what, I come home today from work and my computer says that my hardrive has errors. Never got that one before. Ive been dealing with computers since I was like 11 (19 years) and I have never seen anything like this before. Computer won't even start the OS. I'll look at it later but I think my villains list along with everything else is gone. I'll start it from scratch later.
What did you expect would happen when you get that many villains together in one place? Evil happens!

What did you expect would happen when you get that many villains together in one place? Evil happens!
Tyson probably did it.

Wish someone would have taken Wipeout XL for the racing category. It's pure SPEED. Feels like you're barely in control due to everything flying around you, there's weapons, a killer soundtrack and a cool futuristic vibe. Playing it is an incredible rush.

Had to be what did it.

came in to see how the rankings are going...I am pretty much getting creamed, but my #1 in racing will help bring that up a bit.

for recent stuff, I am just happy Monster Hunter didn't get me last...though trust me its hugely popular over here

Medal Gear Solid I probably over thought so no complaints..I should of waited to see how the category played out.

I will say that Bionic Commando should of been higher

came in to see how the rankings are going...I am pretty much getting creamed, but my #1 in racing will help bring that up a bit.for recent stuff, I am just happy Monster Hunter didn't get me last...though trust me its hugely popular over hereMedal Gear Solid I probably over thought so no complaints..I should of waited to see how the category played out.I will say that Bionic Commando should of been higher
I've been thinking about picking up Monster Hunter Tri (3) for the Wii. I've heard nothing but great things about it and supposedly the online multiplayer is top notch. I agree that Bionic Commando should've gotten higher. I tried talking it up for ya. In related news: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 comes out for PSN and XBLA this week. I think yesterday, actually. $15 or 1200MSP

Last edited by a moderator:

FPS/TPS - hooter311

Strategy/RTS - LHUCKS

Suspense/Horror - Insein

Best Villain - Insein

Good news. My computer just had a real nasty virus. It gave the appearence that the hard drive was damaged and tried to get you to run their "defrag" program. Thankfully it was a simple fix. Everything is still there. When I get a chance, Villains list will be updated.

Good news. My computer just had a real nasty virus. It gave the appearence that the hard drive was damaged and tried to get you to run their "defrag" program. Thankfully it was a simple fix. Everything is still there. When I get a chance, Villains list will be updated.
:goodposting: At least it wasn't a bad drive. I hate losing everything when you haven't done a backup in a while.

I can take over Strategy/RTS judging - I've played em all. Won't be until tomorrow/Sat, but I'll do it.

Somebody in charge let me know.

I can take over Strategy/RTS judging - I've played em all. Won't be until tomorrow/Sat, but I'll do it.Somebody in charge let me know.
I'm not even sure Madshot has looked in here lately. I haven't seen him post in here for a while.

I can take over Strategy/RTS judging - I've played em all. Won't be until tomorrow/Sat, but I'll do it.Somebody in charge let me know.
I'd say go for it since it appears LHUCKS has forgotten about it. You have only done 3 categories so it should be good.

SlaX said:
Insein said:
:popcorn: At least it wasn't a bad drive. I hate losing everything when you haven't done a backup in a while.
Seriously. I was dreading that because I didn't have a chance to sit down and look at it for a day or so. Once I did, I realized it was easy to fix.

I'd say go for it since it appears LHUCKS has forgotten about it. You have only done 3 categories so it should be good.
I'll provide my rankings today. Didn't forget, just very busy the last few days.

Maybe Tasker won't mind you taking over one of his categories, since he still has 3 to judge.

came in to see how the rankings are going...I am pretty much getting creamed, but my #1 in racing will help bring that up a bit.for recent stuff, I am just happy Monster Hunter didn't get me last...though trust me its hugely popular over hereMedal Gear Solid I probably over thought so no complaints..I should of waited to see how the category played out.I will say that Bionic Commando should of been higher
I've been thinking about picking up Monster Hunter Tri (3) for the Wii. I've heard nothing but great things about it and supposedly the online multiplayer is top notch. I agree that Bionic Commando should've gotten higher. I tried talking it up for ya. In related news: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 comes out for PSN and XBLA this week. I think yesterday, actually. $15 or 1200MSP
I thought about getting 3, but my son has not gotten it yet. He is still playing 2G, so that is what I drafted.Interested in Bionic Commano 2...does PSN mean Playstation Network?

This draft was great. No big hangups or delays, lots of good commentary on picks, great writeup on rankings.To celebrate, I'm busting out the NES to play with the kids (6 and 8) this weekend. Just from the top of the box, I see the following:Super Mario Bros 3Mega Man 2Legend of ZeldaTecmo Bowl (the original, not Super)CastlevaniaContraI think I'm more psyched than the kids (although they're excited too).
Had a blast busting out some of these old games this weekend. The kids kept asking why I had to keep blowing into all the cartridges though.Was fun for my son to see how the new Super Mario Bros Wii had some levels nearly exactly like ones in SMB3.Mega Man 2 would have jumped way up my draft board for sure if I played these predraft (the kids got me to finish off the game on Saturday). Forgot how much fun that game is - built up alot of video game cred with the kids for my awesome abilities there. Been playing a bunch this week too after the kids go to sleep (damn you Dr Mario).All I needed was some Paul's Boutique / Mindcrime / GNR in the background with some herbal enhancement and some paper or test to flake on and it would be like being back in college again. Good times!

Users who are viewing this thread