What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers signing of Dom Capers (1 Viewer)

Tecmo

Footballguy
quoted from Packers.com

The biggest question the 3-4 raises in terms of personnel is how the Packers will use their current starting defensive ends, Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins. Generally speaking, the two outside linebackers are the primary pass rushers in a 3-4 scheme rather than the defensive ends.

Jenkins, a hybrid defensive tackle/end at 300 pounds, probably suits the end spot in a 3-4, whereas Kampman at 265 pounds may not. But with varying fronts, stunts and personnel at a coordinator's disposal, there's no need to necessarily lock a Pro Bowl talent like Kampman down into one spot.

"He's an outside rusher," McCarthy said. "Who's to say we're going to play him at the defensive end position? I think this is an excellent defense for Aaron, particularly in the base defense, and we'll also utilize Aaron more in the sub-packages."

McCarthy said he envisions Ryan Pickett as the primary nose tackle in the middle of the three-man line, but he did not address where players like defensive tackles Johnny Jolly and Justin Harrell might best fit.

Linebacker is perhaps the Packers' deepest position on defense, and on the surface Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop have the most experience inside, while Brady Poppinga and Brandon Chillar are more likely outside players.
The biggest question is how DE Aaron Kampman will be utilized in this scheme. He's listed as 6-4 and 265 lbs. Some of the quotes above make it look like he might be lined up at end and outside. He might be a hybrid-player like Suggs that keeps his DE designation on the teams home page. Something to keep an eye on this offseason.

Kampman played LB in high school, he set school records for tackles in a game (26), a season (188), and a career (447) also played LB his first two seasons at Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is big news. The folks on The Audio were talking about how there's roughly only 8-10 stud DE's. Well that number is even shorter now with Kampman in a 3-4 defense.

This is big news. The folks on The Audio were talking about how there's roughly only 8-10 stud DE's. Well that number is even shorter now with Kampman in a 3-4 defense.
Agreed. I think you're going to see an uptick in demand for pass-rushing DT's in IDP leagues (ie. Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, soon-to-be Amobi Okoye, etc, etc).

Agreed. I think you're going to see an uptick in demand for pass-rushing DT's in IDP leagues (ie. Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, soon-to-be Amobi Okoye, etc, etc).
He didn't do too much, stats-wise, in '08. Think he'll improve? He's so young so the potential is there.

He didn't do too much, stats-wise, in '08. Think he'll improve? He's so young so the potential is there.
I'm hoping his high ankle sprain was the culprit for a stagnant '08... :thumbup:

I'm hoping his high ankle sprain was the culprit for a stagnant '08... :confused:
Houston plans on being a more aggressive defense next year under new DC Frank Bush, they just hired DL coach Bill Kollar from Buffalo.

Kampman played LB in high school, he set school records for tackles in a game (26), a season (188), and a career (447) also played LB his first two seasons at Iowa.
I don't watch many Packers games, and the ones i do i've never focused on Kampman. Is he fast enough to play OLB and do you think he has the skillset to play in coverage?

I don't watch many Packers games, and the ones i do i've never focused on Kampman. Is he fast enough to play OLB and do you think he has the skillset to play in coverage?
I don't think so, the 40 times I've seen have been in the 4.8/4.9 neighborhood, as for coverage... no idea :thumbup: I wasn't aware he played LB in high school and college (believe he played ILB) until the news broke Green Bay was switching to a 3-4. They may ask him to shed some pounds and play in the 260 something range. The 5th round Iowa product has proven folks wrong over the years, I wouldn't bet against him.

Official.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday that defensive end Aaron Kampman will line up at outside linebacker in the base defense.
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/02/03/2/
Looks like he'll most likely be listed as a LB on the team page with the talk of base defense. The hiring of Kevin Greene as a OLB coach just for Kampman is a strong indicator. IDPers should treat Kampman as a LB now.
Ouch. That really kills his value.

Official.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday that defensive end Aaron Kampman will line up at outside linebacker in the base defense.
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/02/03/2/
Looks like he'll most likely be listed as a LB on the team page with the talk of base defense. The hiring of Kevin Greene as a OLB coach just for Kampman is a strong indicator. IDPers should treat Kampman as a LB now.
Ouch. That really kills his value.
According to draft scout he wasn't invited to the combine.Kampman received a number of honors in high school. He was named the Iowa Class 2A Player of the Year, a USA Today second team All-American, and a Parade Magazine All-American. He was named district MVP and an Iowa all-state selection as a junior and as a senior, and he was an Elite all-state selection as a senior. Kampman also earned team MVP honors in the Iowa Shrine all-star game following his senior season, leading his team with 13 tackles.

[edit]College career

Aaron Kampman was highly recruited out of high school, and he chose to play for the University of Iowa and Hall of Fame coach Hayden Fry. Kampman played nine games as a true freshman in 1998, recording 49 tackles. After the season, Coach Fry retired, and Kampman played the rest of his career for Kirk Ferentz.

As a sophomore, Kampman started all 11 games for Iowa at linebacker, and he finished second on the team with 103 tackles. He had five games with ten or more tackles in 1999 and was academic All-Big Ten.

Prior to his junior season, Kampman switched positions from linebacker to defensive end.

(KFFL) Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers DE Aaron Kampman will be moved around in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. He likely will spend as much time at defensive end as he will at linebacker.

:)

(KFFL) Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers DE Aaron Kampman will be moved around in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. He likely will spend as much time at defensive end as he will at linebacker. :)
the real question is if he is going to listed as a LB on the team page once the season starts? He could be gold if he remains listed as a DE

(KFFL) Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers DE Aaron Kampman will be moved around in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. He likely will spend as much time at defensive end as he will at linebacker.

:goodposting:
This is to be expected. Many of the teams that are 3-4 base defenses use subpackages with four man fronts. Since Kampman has proven to be a very effective pass rushing down lineman, that's probably what we'll see in Green Bay. And since most teams end up in some form of subpackage nearly half the time, what Ted Thompson said in the press conference (he actually said 55-60%) shouldn't be too surprising. That's probably good news for those who are hoping Kampman holds value with a LB designation. He could well develop into a nice standup pass rusher, but letting him play the run from a two point stance on the strong side and resuming his old hand down pass rushing role should give him the best chance of hitting the 60-10 plateaus necessary to hold consistent value in most scoring systems. It's great news for those in big play oriented systems.The press conference notes (here are McCarthy's) from Packers.com suggest that they've turned over a 3-4 depth chart to the media, which means Kampman is likely to get a LB designation.

Users who are viewing this thread