What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

The D was definitely exposed and I will be dropping them from my team. The offense, while a bit perplexing, showed signs of life, especially through the air.

Few weeks here with no talk.

5-1 but none of it all that pretty (other than most of the Dallas game).

Injuries piling up...

Concerned about Davante...turf toe is a female dog.  Guessing as long as they keep finding ways to win, they will keep letting him rest and heal.

Sternberger back at practice and eligible I think in 2 weeks to return?

They need Savage back...as good as King has looked at times this year, he was burnt bad on those deep balls last week and a few other times.

Seriously love the Smiths...cool how they interview together and both continue to force pressure on the QB every game.  Good leaders and they show up on the field.

Rodgers has not lost anything with that arm.  He was putting some pretty balls out there Monday night.

The RB rotation maybe frustrating in fantasy...but its working in reality.  Both are bringing something to the table and complimenting each other.  When one has been down, the other steps up.  Really nice to see.

Good for Crosby getting a Lambeau Leap.  Hearing him talk about that and how this offseason was...this seems like a farewell season to the guy who has done a lot for this team.  Even when other teams may have given up on him...and then he came back better.  Hats off to him.  A great Packer.

Wondering if Gute will be active around the trade deadline.  I think the secondary could use more help...really disappointed in what Josh Jackson has been.  I said in a game thread I think they would love to have Tramon in more of a hybrid role...but Jackson not able to get and stay on the field with his play has forced him in to playing more traditional CB and slot role.  its worked out ok but I think he is a step slower than he should be there.  Getting by on veteran moves thus far.  The Davante and now Allison injuries...do they make more of a move at WR than  Ryan Grant?

Our game threads get a lot of chatter so this thread is sometimes neglected.

I’m not confident on Sternberger contributing this year but it would be a great help. If Tonyan is still out, what about giving Lazard some snaps at TE?

Dean Lowry flexed nuts against the Lions, seems like that was a worthy extension already.

Another win...and really watching Philly lately I wonder how we lost against them.

any talk about Rodgers not having it anymore should be squashed now...that was a hell of a performance...good to see he seems to trust the WRs a bit more each week.  Sucks losing Davante...but if they can let him rest more and get these guys experience, the offense could be very dangerous down the stretch.  

Oline seems to be coming together a bit more and settling in with the starting 5...good to see.

D...started off the season so strong.  Just not sure about them right now.  They are definitely missing Savage...but I don't think he makes them a better run D as much as helps shore up and keep the big pass plays at more of a minimum.  Run D...I think its a combo of having a bit of a weakness there in the middle, being overly aggressive, and not sure how much they focus on stopping the run anyway.  For years they ran nickle a ton vs. running a base D.  Not sure how those numbers shake out now.  Just don't like seeing guys so wide open right now (though, with the Packers winning, I was pretty happy that if someone was going to put up big numbers for Oakland yesterday it was Waller getting me fantasy points).

Good for Aaron Jones to make up for the drop last week and making a more difficult TD catch.  Nice bounce back game for him and MVS and Allison really.

Lazard may get lost in the veterans...but he has made some really good catches.

Vitale needs a nickname fans can yell...he could easily become the new favorite like Kuuuuuuhhhhhn!!!!  Though, Kumerow may have that now more than Vitale.

Can we go back and time and keep Davis over Shepherd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great start for the Packers. Part of me thinks they have been a little bit more lucky than good. Meaning: They seem to be catching most of the breaks and have not dominated like some teams with a record worse than theirs. They are catching another break this week with Mahomes out. This isn't a terrible thing because I think you have to be lucky and good to have a great season. Hopefully they can get guys like Adams and Savage back and stay healthy moving forward as it has been a great season so far.

Great start for the Packers. Part of me thinks they have been a little bit more lucky than good. Meaning: They seem to be catching most of the breaks and have not dominated like some teams with a record worse than theirs. They are catching another break this week with Mahomes out. This isn't a terrible thing because I think you have to be lucky and good to have a great season. Hopefully they can get guys like Adams and Savage back and stay healthy moving forward as it has been a great season so far.
Oh...they have had some things break their way for sure.  Helps with some injuries to have that luck.

The impressive thing on offense is they have been able to adapt.  Can run the ball if that is what the D is giving them...or can throw it all over.

Chicago Hooligan said:
Did anyone see HaHa not helping his DB over the top and giving up a 45-yard Bridgewater bomb yesterday? How strange...
Was listening to Chicago sports radio a bit yesterday.  They were talking about how the defense is going to turn on Trubisky and the offense soon but then got into the defense needing to tackle better.  They listed several guys who had trouble tackling Latavious Murray and then said Ha Ha just did on Ole' and wanted no part of him.  Shocking

Chicago Hooligan said:
Did anyone see HaHa not helping his DB over the top and giving up a 45-yard Bridgewater bomb yesterday? How strange...
Yeah I think we got the better end of that deal

Darnell Savage was not limited at practice, a great sign!

From PFF:

With a combined 12 pass-rush snaps over the past two weeks and no pressures, Rashan Gary is no longer being afforded the benefit of the doubt. The Packers are using him more frequently in run defense, where he managed to win six of his seven matchups on Sunday, resulting in an impressive 87.8 run-defense grade.
From The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/24/20929818/green-bay-packers-makeover-nfl-elite-matt-lafleur-aaron-rodgers

Chicago Hooligan said:
Darnell Savage was not limited at practice, a great sign!

From PFF:

From The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/24/20929818/green-bay-packers-makeover-nfl-elite-matt-lafleur-aaron-rodgers
I think they knew Gary was a project with freakish athletic ability.  Thankfully they also signed the Smiths who have been great on the pass rush.  And glad Gary is helping elsewhere when he can.

Need Savage back...I think big plays will go down with him back there and open them up to move other people around a bit better.

Savage listed as Questionable. Tony Brown should be available at CB.

Not to get overconfident but with Frank Clark, Chris Jones and Kendall Fuller all OUT this has clicked over to a game they should probably win.

Another game another win...like with many this year, it wasn't always pretty.

Offensively...this team is really good.  They can run the ball...and obviously throw it.  Will be interesting to see how they do against a D like SF.  Lafleur and Rodgers seem pretty well in sync now and the adjustment to the blitzing in the 2nd quarter was evident.  They owned the 2nd half of that game.

Aaron Jones is really good...to be able to run routes like that...and they even trust Williams out there running routes too is something nice to see.  We can't make mismatches with a great TE right now but doing it with RBs instead.  Getting Davante back with this wrinkle where teams have to now worry about a back being that dynamic and Adams.  Watch out.  

Defensively...I still just don't know the identity of this team.  They can get picked apart by bad QBs just by dinking and dunking.  That neutralizes the pass rush and they seem to play very soft coverage (yes, KC's talent had a lot to do with that last night...but other teams can exploit that too).  Pettine seems to want to just let all that happen and hope a team makes a mistake.  And its working, in a way, so far.  I would have loved to see a bit more aggression at times last night...backup QB, several backups on the OL.  Last night seemed like just not wanting to get beat by a big play.

Another game another win...like with many this year, it wasn't always pretty.

Offensively...this team is really good.  They can run the ball...and obviously throw it.  Will be interesting to see how they do against a D like SF.  Lafleur and Rodgers seem pretty well in sync now and the adjustment to the blitzing in the 2nd quarter was evident.  They owned the 2nd half of that game.

Aaron Jones is really good...to be able to run routes like that...and they even trust Williams out there running routes too is something nice to see.  We can't make mismatches with a great TE right now but doing it with RBs instead.  Getting Davante back with this wrinkle where teams have to now worry about a back being that dynamic and Adams.  Watch out.  

Defensively...I still just don't know the identity of this team.  They can get picked apart by bad QBs just by dinking and dunking.  That neutralizes the pass rush and they seem to play very soft coverage (yes, KC's talent had a lot to do with that last night...but other teams can exploit that too).  Pettine seems to want to just let all that happen and hope a team makes a mistake.  And its working, in a way, so far.  I would have loved to see a bit more aggression at times last night...backup QB, several backups on the OL.  Last night seemed like just not wanting to get beat by a big play.
They have defensive talent, but as yet they lack communication and coordination.  Hopefully they are learning form each experience and improving. If they stop with the three or four major communication breakdowns a game, the kind that left Kelce open by 7 yards, they should be fine.

Also kudos to Rodgers and Lafleur knowing they had the matchup and playing to win and getting that last 1st down.

Would hope the Packers reach out to Tampa Bay on OJ Howard’s availability. Watching Jimmy Graham is painful. 

disagree completely 

When is the last time GB had sustainable offensive contributions from their TE?

We dont need a TE
 I disagree. Adding an athletic tight end like Howard would open up the offense completely and Lafleur loves to utilize the tight end. Adding a difference maker in the middle of the field would make the O unstoppable. Graham is so slow.

i think a run stuffing NT is most important if they were active at deadline but Howard would be a great addition.

I disagree. Adding an athletic tight end like Howard would open up the offense completely and Lafleur loves to utilize the tight end. Adding a difference maker in the middle of the field would make the O unstoppable. Graham is so slow.

i think a run stuffing NT is most important if they were active at deadline but Howard would be a great addition.
Agree to disagree. IMO TE is the last position they would need to trade for. I would be surprised if they traded for anyone 

Agree to disagree. IMO TE is the last position they would need to trade for. I would be surprised if they traded for anyone 
I don’t think they will trade either. Would really like them to shore up run d on the line. Too many huge holes that I think teams like the 49ers and Patriots will exploit.

I don’t think they will trade either. Would really like them to shore up run d on the line. Too many huge holes that I think teams like the 49ers and Patriots will exploit.
Pretty much all the nfc playoff teams will run all over them. 

Come on pack, make a move!
Hoping for some beef up front...but no real rumors out there.

When Jamal Adams came up as on the block...I know its a big haul to get him...and we have Savage and Amos...but Adams is a legit stud...gives you options to play 3 safeties (which GB already does a lot rather than 2 middle line backers).

Shepherd released.  They gave him more chances after the fumble and INT on him a few weeks ago...wondering if letting that punt go down to the two sealed it for him.  He wasn’t exactly giving much in returns anyway and Lazard and Kumerow had performed better at WR.

shocked to see the Packers only favored by 3.5 this week.  I thought the line would be more like 6.5.  are the odds makers thinking the Chargers will run the ball down our throats and shorten the game?

I think we overestimated the defense early on...we should have been talking about how bad the Bears are offensively.

Teams just need to run up the middle and run crossing routes all day and will move the ball on this D.  Its bad

Too many mistakes on offense killed the early drives...just sloppy and not into the game from the start.

I think we overestimated the defense early on...we should have been talking about how bad the Bears are offensively.

Teams just need to run up the middle and run crossing routes all day and will move the ball on this D.  Its bad

Too many mistakes on offense killed the early drives...just sloppy and not into the game from the start.
We may have but they were on the field way too long.  With 50 yards or whatever the offense had in the 1st half is embarrassing.  With that being said I'm concerned what CMC is going to do to them next week.  Hopefully Blake Martinez actually meets him in the hole instead of tackling him 5 yards downfield and falling back.  Also MVS? :missing:

MVS and Kumerow each had chances on deep shots. Not easy catches but great throws by Rodgers.

Really weak effort all around. I can handle losing but man was that game ever BORING.

Who exactly is this team?

Record says they are good...watching them at times says otherwise.  Last week's debacle was really bad.

Then they come out, and while it was ugly at times, they played decent against what is a pretty good football team.  They defended McCaffrey about as best you can...but that meant making Greg Olsen look like he was good and fast again.

A few NFL comments here...

• the inconsistency with roughing the passer is just awful.
  • ditto to what is and isn't pass interference.  (that or Lazard is the strongest man alive)
  • they need a rule to do away with the ridiculous celebrations after a turnover.  I get they went from the no fun league to let them go, but this whole team running to an endzone thing is just plain dumb.  
Rodgers and Adams are really fun to watch.  Its also nice that he seems to be trusting Lazard and Kumerow more (have those two passed Allison and MVS?)

Jones and Williams compliment each other well.  Its a nice 1-2 punch to have.  Both bring a lot to what they do.  Love that they can run off tackle so well...and maybe the stretch plays and tosses that don't work should go...but maybe they set up the success on running more physical up the middle.  Not sure, but I hate those stretch plays badly.

I don't mind going for it at the end of the half...and with the success we have had on the ground, sure run it...but man, they were ready for that one.

This is NFL/Packers and what I have seen in college.  I don't get the need in the middle of the field (not goalline) to bring all the players in looking like a GL formation and then running up the middle.  You have just brought every defender into that box and then expect to get something out of that.  I have seen it alot and it wasn't short yardage situations.  Just makes little sense to me.

Jaire...hold onto that ball.  Seems you get that almost INT to end it and bad things happen after.  It came down to inches at the end.

Jimmy Graham...first drive its 2nd and short after our first play (a 9 yard run).  You damn well know Rodgers is going hard count...just don't move man...they were about to jump and Rodgers had a free play if you just don't move (though maybe the defender only jumped because of Graham...I don't know, but it looked like he was about to when Graham bailed him out).

It has been since Collins went out with his neck that the Packers have been able to cover a T.E., especially down the seam, or any crossing route or drag route.  Defensive communication remains a problem.  Jimmy Graham is a waste of money and has been a waste of money.

Packers next draft better include nobody under 290 pounds.  I want linemen, on both sides of the ball.  O.K. maybe an inside L.B. and a T.E to replace Graham.  Bulaga and Bahktieri are both starting to show their age.  Kenny Clark needs help.  Martinez would be a marvelous #2 inside backer, particularly to a very good #1.  

This team still feels not nearly as good as it's record to me but I'll take it. They seemed to want to give this game away playing too soft and making mistakes at the end. The running game was working well and I wish they would have stuck with it more in the 2nd half. The club is in great shape at this point but I would like them to show more consistency on both sides of the ball.

This team still feels not nearly as good as it's record to me but I'll take it. They seemed to want to give this game away playing too soft and making mistakes at the end. The running game was working well and I wish they would have stuck with it more in the 2nd half. The club is in great shape at this point but I would like them to show more consistency on both sides of the ball.
They have some talent, unfortunately they also have, collectively, a low football I.Q. You cant get two or more delay of game penalties a game, nor should you have to use a time out per half to avoid yet another one.  You must know the snap count, no exceptions.  When lined up take a look to see if you are covering up an eligible receiver, and if so take a step back.  Don't touch the Q.B.'s head.  If you can read a guys nameplate don't block him, if you can see his eye black go ahead.  Figure out if you are in man or zone and get on your guy.  And oh, god gave you two arms so that you can wrap a guy up when tackling.  The rule is the first guy wraps up, the second guy lays the lumber and tries for the strip.

Those 3 points eschewed at the end of the first half nearly loomed large.  I get the temptation of the moment, but before that drive started a huge win would have been to keep the ball out of Carolina's hands and to get any points.  Any points would have been disheartening and a momentum establisher.  Would have been a couple of scores in a row with the second half Kick off coming your way.  A field goal was a win there, bank the win.

I want to be a special teams coach. I would fit my receiving team guys in practice with those shocking dog collars.  I would have my coverage guys have a series of stop signs where their name plates should be and I would have them have a series of contact switches on the backs of their jerseys so that if they were blocked in the back a signal would fire off on the offender would, essentially, get tazed.   Discussion and instruction doesn't work, fine, how about some operant conditioning.  It would not take more than a few instances of getting jolted before most guys would get to not block a guy in the back.

Thought very highly of him as a kid.  I remember him coming in for Starr a few different times.  In particular I remember the Colts game.  I was 6.  I met him after as my father was good friends with the Packer's team physician and we occasionally got to use that connection to meet some players.  Also my Dad delivered a few of their kids.  At one time or another I got to meet most of those 60's Packers, never Lombardi though.

Maybe my weirdest meeting was with Donny Anderson.  I was in County Stadium in our family seats.  A guy a few rows up had his fedora blow off and go under the bleachers.  I offered to climb down to get it.  My Dad said it would be fine.  I climbed down the maybe 15 feet, grabbed it and climbed back up.  The guy said he should give me something.  He said I could either have a hot dog or he could get me Donny Anderson's autograph.  I didn't believe him but took him up on it just in case.  

After the game we went around to the locker room area.  He spoke with the security guy and a couple of seconds later, after he went into the locker room, out popped number 44.  It turned out the guy was a college room mate of Anderson.  I remember Anderson saying I should have taken the hot dog.  he signed a scrap of paper for me.  I loved it.  Big moment for young DW.

Thought very highly of him as a kid.  I remember him coming in for Starr a few different times.  In particular I remember the Colts game.  I was 6.  I met him after as my father was good friends with the Packer's team physician and we occasionally got to use that connection to met some players.  Also my Dad delivered a few of their kids.  At one time or another I got to meet most of those 60's Packers, never Lombardi though.
Never knew much about him but the stories today about what kind of guy he was were great to read.

Lets get healthy.  Lets solve the back end defensive communication.  Lets finish up 4 and 2 and healthy, including a win over the Vikes.  O.K. 5 and 1 would be better and 6 and 0 better still.

GB has flaws...no doubt...but what team doesnt?

It may be that in two weeks the game in SF is basically for the #1 seed.  SFs OL was getting dominated and Jimmy G was shaky.  That D though is very good.

NO lost to Atlanta at home. 

GBs first half of the season set them up well despite the disappointment against SD.

I think that was a good reality check.  Not impressed with LaFleur
Packers had just 2.8 yards/play yesterday, the fourth-fewest in a game this season for any team and their third game with fewer than 4.0 yards/play this season.

Other teams with three such games this season: WAS, CHI, MIA and NYJ.

Per Rich Hribar on twitter

I have enjoyed most of the ride this year though the mental errors make me a bit crazy.  I think the Packers are a good team, but not a great one.  I can see them handling Minnesota and the Cowboys.  I can see them beating Houston or K.C. or Buffalo or the Patriots.  What I cannot see is them prevailing over the Saints, 49ers, Seahawks or Ravens.  Sure, they will have a punchers chance, but so too the teams they will have to face early in the playoffs, and they ones if they advance, I just don't see it.  Still, runs happen, things come together, sometimes the best team does not win but sometimes it is the hottest one.  Here's to getting hot.  Here's to staying healthy.  Here's to more snow.

Users who are viewing this thread