What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Griese Bucs new starting QB? (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Is Griese worth a pickup? What kind of numbers can be expected if he starts all year??

Jeff Garcia (ankle) has officially been ruled out for Week 2, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.Schefter hinted that Garcia's injury may be more serious than the Bucs have let on considering the quickness with which he was considered "out." Garcia is 38 and relies on mobility, so a bad sprain would be worse for him than most QBs.
Brian Griese will start in Week 2 at Atlanta, Bucs coach Jon Gruden confirmed on Wednesday.Gruden says there's something "not quite right" with Jeff Garcia (ankle), and he'll get a week to "try to get himself right." However, a big game from Griese could spur Gruden to rethink his QB depth chart and Atlanta provides a nice matchup for Griese to make a move. Garcia's starting job is in great danger.Source: Tampa Tribune

Well there have been two other threads, but I'll go ahead and drop my points in here:

- 2007 performance was only good, not great

- missed 3 games due to injury

- did not play well upon return from injury (47/84 for 512, 3 tds, 3 ints)

- turned 38 years old

- threatened to retire without a contract extension (didn't get one)

- Griese brought back by Gruden

- tension over Favre rumors

- poor 2008 pre-season and week 1

- Griese 27 TDs in 16 games for Gruden, Garcia 14 TDs in 14 games

I'll put my $$ on Griese to take over

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read between the lines with Gruden's comments, it is definitely Griese's job now.

I didn't even realize he was at 70% with a 20/12 ratio in 2004. That's really good, and that team around him was awful. They also started 5-1 with him in 2005 before he got hurt. So there is some positive history there.

I'm not sure what happened with Gruden/Garcia this off-season, but it appears there is no trust there and Jeff can't get the ball down the field anyways. He couldn't last year and there was no way they were even attempting it Sunday.

So does this have any significant effect on Galloway, Bryant and Hilliard?
It has to help it... Griese has a far better arm.
Can anyone that follows the bucs give us a heads up on which one of these guys may come out ahead? Galloway is on most rosters, but Ike and Bryant may still be out there in a number of leagues.ETA - Seems Hilliard got a lot of looks with Garcia (6 targets / 6 catches) but Bryant got more looks (8 targets / 3 catches). I didn't catch the game though, so Ike's targets may have been in a possession receiver role (shorter stuff given Garcia's arm strength) and Griese's kid may be able to play to Bryant's strengths as a receiver. Anyone that watched the game - can you tell me if I'm heading in the right direction?

His nickname around town is Captain Checkdown. I'm betting Graham/Dunn and possibly Hilliard become beneficiaries.

I think this is a good move. Garcia is playing like crap. IIRC, Alex Smith & Ike Hilliard started to do well with Griese at QB. I think Clayton and Galloway saw an even number of balls.

Well there have been two other threads, but I'll go ahead and drop my points in here:

- 2007 performance was only good, not great

- missed 3 games due to injury

- did not play well upon return from injury (47/84 for 512, 3 tds, 3 ints)

- turned 38 years old

- threatened to retire without a contract extension (didn't get one)

- Griese brought back by Gruden

- tension over Favre rumors

- poor 2008 pre-season and week 1

- Griese 27 TDs in 16 games for Gruden, Garcia 14 TDs in 14 games

I'll put my $$ on Griese to take over
:P :rolleyes: :lmao:

Went ahead and pick up Griese (dropped Branch). This sure sounds like Griese will have every opportunity to win the job.

Link

IMO, Griese has a good chance of holding onto the job for the entire season. The reason Garcia isn't playing is not just because of his "injury."

What kind of numbers would you expect from Griese if he's the starter for the remainder of the season? A decent QB2??

I feel he will prove to be a decent #2-for the rest of the year. I like him over Collins (Just can't warm up to his WR's) and Cassell.

While the jury is out on Cassell, he hasn't had any experience, unlike Griese.

I feel he will prove to be a decent #2-for the rest of the year. I like him over Collins (Just can't warm up to his WR's) and Cassell.While the jury is out on Cassell, he hasn't had any experience, unlike Griese.
I guess "decent #2" is a good description, since Griese's per-game average in 2007 placed him at 14th overall. Still better than guys like Kitna, Rivers, Schaub, Bulger, Eli Manning....and Garcia.

Really think they should (and who knows maybe later they might) give McCown a chance.
He had his chance last season, and wasn't too consistent. He is very athletic, and looked great at times, but then he would make horrible plays. Griese was always fairly consistent, and managed the game well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/11/...hopping-garcia/

Pewter Report hinted at this earlier today, and said "Garcia was pissed" about not starting. Kind of went full blown pretty fast now that it hit PFT. This is a distraction, and I assume it will be dealt with like Keyshawn was.

I don't have any sympathy for Jeff for 2 reasons,

1. He sucks now. This was made pretty clear in N.O., and in the last preseason game. And, he sucked after returnng from his injury last year imo.

2. When trying to get a new contract this offseason he tried to gain leverage by saying things like "you don't want a pissed off QB playing for your team." Well Jeff, you are right. Now don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. :goodposting:

He did play well at the begining of last season, but maybe his age is finally catching up with him. Either that or he is a pissed off QB...

Wow, another chapter in the Garcia saga :lmao:

The guy's a good QB, I admire his toughness, and I'm a fan. However, having said that, the Bucs desperately need a QB to stretch the field and I think Griese gives them a better shot at that.

If Garcia leaves, any chance of him starting anywhere else next year? Backup? Retirement? :goodposting:

There is no way Garcia deserves this!

Carmella used to work out at a gym by my house..she is smoking!! I saw Garcia once and he looks like a little weasel. Plus I remember she called WDFN after Lion fans were booing Garcia and went ballistic..she is fiery.

Looks like Griese will be taking over for more than this week, could be a decent QB #2/3.

From Rotoworld:

Jeff Garcia-QB-Buccaneers Sep. 11 - 12:32 pm et

Profootballtalk.com reports that Bucs are shopping Jeff Garcia and are "willing to take anything they can get."

Jon Gruden and Garcia are reportedly "ready to kill each other." The Bucs look set to go forward with Luke McCown backing up Brian Griese after benching Garcia. If Packers GM Ted Thompson wasn't so married to his draft picks, including late-rounders, Green Bay would be a logical fit. But no team is going to go out of its way for a twinkle toed 38-year-old with an illogically big ego.

i don't know that there's ever been another NFL QB who has a more inflated sense of his own abilities and worth. The guy is a first class d-bag of the highest order. I'm frankly amazed anyone has put up with his noodle arm as long as this...he should have been done before detroit.

i don't know that there's ever been another NFL QB who has a more inflated sense of his own abilities and worth. The guy is a first class d-bag of the highest order. I'm frankly amazed anyone has put up with his noodle arm as long as this...he should have been done before detroit.
TO alias?

Bears fan here who got to see Griese play last year.

He's got no zip on his ball anymore. Sure, he's still accurate, but you could time his long passes with a stopwatch (like a punter).

I'm sure he'll be serviceable, but don't expect any long-ball, big play ability from him.

J

Bears fan here who got to see Griese play last year.He's got no zip on his ball anymore. Sure, he's still accurate, but you could time his long passes with a stopwatch (like a punter).I'm sure he'll be serviceable, but don't expect any long-ball, big play ability from him.J
Good thing the Bucs run the WCO with a lot of short/medium routes then

Just looked at Griese's stats from the last few years. He's had a ton of interceptions. I need a qb with Brady gone, but I'm not sure if I can rely on this all season

bucsbaby said:
Wow, another chapter in the Garcia saga :argue: The guy's a good QB, I admire his toughness, and I'm a fan. However, having said that, the Bucs desperately need a QB to stretch the field and I think Griese gives them a better shot at that.If Garcia leaves, any chance of him starting anywhere else next year? Backup? Retirement? :goodposting:
Funny I was just thinking another chapter in the gruden saga. Cant think of one quarterback in tampa that was happy to play for this guy. Plummer new right away he didnt want to play for him :) simms garcia list goes on!!!!

bump josh johnson up in dynasty, I know he won't be playing but this moves him up to 2nd or 3rd qb and he should get an increase in reps

SI.com's Mike Lombardi writes that he "really believes" Brian Griese will remain the Bucs' starter for the rest of the season.Griese is more versed and a better fit in this system than the Bears', so his lack of success in Chicago can be thrown out when trying to form an outlook. Lombardi notes that Jeff Garcia and Jon Gruden had bad body language toward each other during Week 1. The two hard-headed football men's rift may be irreparable. Source: SI.com

SI.com's Mike Lombardi writes that he "really believes" Brian Griese will remain the Bucs' starter for the rest of the season.Griese is more versed and a better fit in this system than the Bears', so his lack of success in Chicago can be thrown out when trying to form an outlook. Lombardi notes that Jeff Garcia and Jon Gruden had bad body language toward each other during Week 1. The two hard-headed football men's rift may be irreparable. Source: SI.com
That's pretty stupid. "his lack of success in Chicago can be thrown out"? What about his lack of success in Miami, Tampa, and Denver?

Huh?And it's that inflated sense of worth that imo has been a key attribute in him becoming a good qb despite lacking many, many measurables.

Huh?And it's that inflated sense of worth that imo has been a key attribute in him becoming a good qb despite lacking many, many measurables.
Good QB? Let's not get carried away here. Griese is the classic "good enough to make the team, not good enough to start" guy. Take away his one decent season (19 TDs in 10 games in 2000) and he's the epitome of average.

Good QB? Let's not get carried away here. Griese is the classic "good enough to make the team, not good enough to start" guy. Take away his one decent season (19 TDs in 10 games in 2000) and he's the epitome of average.
MSULions was speaking about Garcia.

Wow, another chapter in the Garcia saga :argue: The guy's a good QB, I admire his toughness, and I'm a fan. However, having said that, the Bucs desperately need a QB to stretch the field and I think Griese gives them a better shot at that.If Garcia leaves, any chance of him starting anywhere else next year? Backup? Retirement? ;)
Funny I was just thinking another chapter in the gruden saga. Cant think of one quarterback in tampa that was happy to play for this guy. Plummer new right away he didnt want to play for him :) simms garcia list goes on!!!!
I don't think Rich Gannon was too upset.

Black&Gold said:
Funny I was just thinking another chapter in the gruden saga. Cant think of one quarterback in tampa that was happy to play for this guy. Plummer new right away he didnt want to play for him :confused: simms garcia list goes on!!!!
Gannon was a special breed of player. Thick skinned, perfectionist and oh, yeah... He was pretty darn good while he and Gruden were together. They were perfect for each other. They pushed each other to excel.

Black&Gold said:
Gannon was a special breed of player. Thick skinned, perfectionist and oh, yeah... He was pretty darn good while he and Gruden were together. They were perfect for each other. They pushed each other to excel.
All I'm saying is that Gannon was nothing more than a jouryman QB for several teams until he met up with Gruden in Oakland. A la Brian Griese. I'm not saying that he's going to set the world on fire, but it wouldn't suprise me. I think you could see good stats. He has some weapons in Tampa.

Wow, another chapter in the Garcia saga :lmao: The guy's a good QB, I admire his toughness, and I'm a fan. However, having said that, the Bucs desperately need a QB to stretch the field and I think Griese gives them a better shot at that.If Garcia leaves, any chance of him starting anywhere else next year? Backup? Retirement? :)
Funny I was just thinking another chapter in the gruden saga. Cant think of one quarterback in tampa that was happy to play for this guy. Plummer new right away he didnt want to play for him :lmao: simms garcia list goes on!!!!
All of those guys have a personality trait in common... They're thin-skinned. Each one has a fragile ego that needs to be stroked. Gruden is not that kind of coach.That said, Griese never wanted to leave Tampa for Chicago and from all accounts has a great relationship with Gruden. Maybe JG can coax some greatness from him like he did with Gannon.

Say hello to the 2009 Bucs.

At Head Coach, Bill Cowher.

At QB, Matt Cassel.

At RB, Earnest Graham (Cadillac traded to the Patriots).

Jon Gruden, welcome to the NFL Network.

Users who are viewing this thread