What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronkowski A Stud T.E. in the making (1 Viewer)

Gopher State

Footballguy
Gronkowski two TD's tonight this rookie looks like the real deal. With Brady on a mission this year, this kid might surprise.

More pre season over reactions. I love it.
Perhaps there is a bit of overreacting, but its encouraging to see their 2nd round pick is becoming a Brady favorite in the redzone, even if it is only preseason.You think this overreacting is alot, you should see what would have happened if it were Hernandez who put up these numbers tonight. People would be putting him in the Gates/Finley tier of dynasty TE's.

Why didn't Hernandez or Edleman play tonight? Does anybody know?
- from RotoworldRob Gronkowski-TE-Patriots Aug. 26 - 11:26 pm et

Rob Gronkowski caught three passes for 66 yards and two touchdowns against the Rams in Thursday's preseason game.

Aaron Hernandez, held out of the game after missing this week's practices with an undisclosed injury, has gotten every last bit of the hype between the two rookie tight ends. Gronkowski has shown the past two weeks that both youngsters have promising futures. He dragged a defender into the end zone for a 14-yard score and came back with a 20-yard touchdown in the seam. Tom Brady is enjoying his new toys in the red zone.

Just like the love fest for Hernandez last week? Wasn't Gronkowski drafted before Hernandez?
Yes. Hernandez was taken before Gronk in all my dynasty rookie drafts. Don't know why. I'm an SEC football enthusiast and never thought much of Hernandez. Great hands, but can't block. Wasn't really a route runner. But then again I'm no scout. Gronk looks like a stud in the making to me.

Just a reminder, Chris Baker had two TDs in a preseason game last year and they disappearred in the regular season.

pre-season is definetely meaningless. But I think that both of these TE's are going to be used alot.

Like any other weapon in NE not named Moss or Welker, though, figuring out when they are going to be used could be tricky.

I'd consider both worthless in re-drafts, and I'd stash both in dynasty leagues.

Just a reminder, Chris Baker had two TDs in a preseason game last year and they disappearred in the regular season.
Finley has 3 TD's in the preseason, so does Gronkowski. Gronk as a top 3 TE in 2010? :rolleyes: He is definitely a dynasty stash, and might end up being a decent mid-season redraft pickup depending how the Pats WR/TE situation plays out.

:)Yep, and Michael Hoomanawanuii had 2 TDs yesterday as part of a day when Sam Bradford looked like an MVP candidate. These kinds of performance are noteworthy, particularly for dynasty leaguers, but let's not let this creep too much into your redraft thinking. The Patriots are STACKED and I just can't see how anyone can reasonably expect any of the three TEs (Alge Crumpler remains in the mix too) are going to be at all reliable. One of them might have Top 20-25 TE numbers at season's end, but figuring out how to capitalize on that in terms of week to week, H2H leagues is beyond me.

Just like the love fest for Hernandez last week? Wasn't Gronkowski drafted before Hernandez?
Yes. Hernandez was taken before Gronk in all my dynasty rookie drafts. Don't know why. I'm an SEC football enthusiast and never thought much of Hernandez. Great hands, but can't block. Wasn't really a route runner. But then again I'm no scout. Gronk looks like a stud in the making to me.
Hernandez is expected to play more of a pass-catching role and less of a blocking role than Gronkowski.

This was my first thought when I saw this thread. Either rookie TE could potentially become a force but be careful of the big game in preseason.

If you could only keep 1, which is it?
Hernandez is the more fluid receiver, Gronkowski the better blocker. Most have taken that to mean Hernandez' fantasy prospects burn brighter. Yet you could also argue it will allow Gronkowski to stay on the field more and, thus, be in position for more opportunities regardless of down and distance. That said, I would keep Hernandez.

Hernandez is the more fluid receiver, Gronkowski the better blocker. Most have taken that to mean Hernandez' fantasy prospects burn brighter. Yet you could also argue it will allow Gronkowski to stay on the field more and, thus, be in position for more opportunities regardless of down and distance. That said, I would keep Hernandez.
This is where I am. I keep going back and forth on these guys. We all know that opportunity is huge. Gronk will get more because he will see more snaps. But can Hernandez learn to block better? If he could, with superior receiving skills, he could has as much opportunity or more. Then again, didn't someone go off at TE for NE last year week 1, get snagged off every WW in every league and did squat the rest of the year?ETA, Ben Watson had 77 yards and 2 TD's week 1. He finished the season with 400 yards and 5. Are both of these guys fools gold? The lack of use of a TE in NE is Martz-esque

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where I am. I keep going back and forth on these guys. We all know that opportunity is huge. Gronk will get more because he will see more snaps. But can Hernandez learn to block better? If he could, with superior receiving skills, he could has as much opportunity or more. Then again, didn't someone go off at TE for NE last year week 1, get snagged off every WW in every league and did squat the rest of the year?ETA, Ben Watson had 77 yards and 2 TD's week 1. He finished the season with 400 yards and 5. Are both of these guys fools gold? The lack of use of a TE in NE is Martz-esque
I'm not sure Hernandez has to learn how to be a better blocker to play a lot, at least down the road. This is an offense that's had a base of 3 WRs and a single back of late, so Hernandez could be the effective 3 WR in what looks like a 2 TE set, but is really still what it's always been.

Another TD tonight on the first teams only drive.

At this pace, forget Finley, he is going to score 15+ TD's.

think they both cut into welkers numbers
I think this is the most important post in this thread. I'm much more worried about the two stud rookie TEs than I am Welker's knee.All of these "slot" receivers are likely to vulture one another making all of them less valuable than they should be otherwise.

TOUCHDOWN GRONK!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, wait. GRONK Sr. in Detroit.

oops. nullified. Penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread