What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guilty Pleasure Movies (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Not sure if, in my 11+ years on this board, I've ever seen a thread about this, but my brain is pretty fried today.

Anyhoo...

Name a movie that you'd consider a "guilty pleasure". Meaning you probably wouldn't want to admit it (unless you're on an anonymous message board or just have no shame).

For me, the one that jumps out is...

My Best Friend's Wedding

This flick came out in '97, right after I graduated college and a lot of my friends were all getting married. I am a big softy and the scene where they're on the boat on the Chicago River and Julia Roberts just can't express her feelings... just gets me in the gut.

So yeah... :bag:

I like a few chick flicks and don't care if I lose my man card. In fact, I probably lost that a long time ago. Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are both decent movies that my wife loves and I don't mind. They have humorous moments in them that I can enjoy.

I like a few chick flicks and don't care if I lose my man card. In fact, I probably lost that a long time ago. Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are both decent movies that my wife loves and I don't mind. They have humorous moments in them that I can enjoy.
As long as you don’t like Barbie I’m cool with it.

As long as you don’t like Barbie I’m cool with it.
Like Margot Robbie but never saw Barbie.

not a big adam sandler fan... 50 first dates. i'm a sucker for most things hawaiian
That is on my list as well because I asked my wife to marry me at that movie. Back when they still did slides before the previews, I had a slide made that asked will you marry me and I got down on a knee and proposed.

To make light, I asked her parents permission before I asked here even though we both had been previously married and her mom said "Are you sure you want to do this? You know she can be difficult." I still give her mom a hard time about that today 20 years later.

Confess, Fletch. Derivative? Check. No Chevy Chase? Well, that may be a positive.

If ever there was an actor suited to play Fletch, it's Jon Hamm. Even though familiar co-stars, like his former Mad Men foil, John Slattery and Hamm's wife, who also appeared in the series finale of Mad Men, allow him to take advantage of territory familiar to many of us, I feel he still had the right bearing to bring the character to life correctly. Additionally, unlike the first two Fletch movies, the side/supporting characters got to shine a little more and give the film much more balance and dare I say...depth.

Last edited:
An inarguably terrible movie (Narrow Margin) with inarguably one my favorite actors (Gene Hackman).

I’ll watch it any time it’s playing, despite of and because of these facts 😀

Big

It came out when I was in my early 20's and right around the time I felt like a kid in an adult world. To be honest, it actually helped me to learn to embrace it and realize I didn't have to lose my enthusiasm to conform to what other people think adults should be. It helped me live a happier life

Mine would probably be:

XXX (the vin diesel movie, not pron)
You’ve Got Mail
Role Models

Big

It came out when I was in my early 20's and right around the time I felt like a kid in an adult world. To be honest, it actually helped me to learn to embrace it and realize I didn't have to lose my enthusiasm to conform to what other people think adults should be. It helped me live a happier life
✋ I don’t get it.

Big
isn’t a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure.

Big

Don’t want to be thread police, but it has a 98% positive critic reviews at Rotten Tomatoes (higher than The Godfather, parts one and two, and obviously part three).

Big

Don’t want to be thread police, but it has a 98% positive critic reviews at Rotten Tomatoes (higher than The Godfather, parts one and two, and obviously part three).
I didn't think it was just about underrated movies.

Big

I didn't think it was just about underrated movies.
I usually think of a guilty pleasure as something people enjoy, but some shame in admitting it because feel their enjoyment would be negatively judged by others. I don’t really see “Big” as fitting into that as I think most would agree it’s a great movie. Just my view of it though.

There's a cheerleader movie called Bring It On. I don't know why I liked this so much, but it was seared into my brain enough that I almost watched it again voluntarily on a plane yesterday and was excited to do so. Almost, I say. I watched Chinatown again instead.

ETA: And felt better about myself.

There's a cheerleader movie called Bring It On. I don't know why I liked this so much, but it was seared into my brain enough that I almost watched it again voluntarily on a plane yesterday and was excited to do so. Almost, I say. I watched Chinatown again instead.

I really enjoy this movie. Not high brow but very funny at times.

Love how it simultaneously pokes fun at cheerleading while highlighting how impressive good cheerleading squads are athletically.

Dunst and Union are good in this and much of the writing is quite clever.

I’d rather re-watch this movie than Chinatown…
:scared:

Johnny Be Good

Anthony Michael Hall as the #1 high school QB prospect. He had gotten bigger physically since his Farmer Ted/Brian Johnson days so his performance was not implausible. The movie was a comedy but dealt with issues regarding the big business of college athletics that are still relevant thirty-five years later.

And Jim McMahon's cameo was funnier than Brett Fav-u-ruh in There's Something About Mary.

I really enjoy this movie. Not high brow but very funny at times.

Love how it simultaneously pokes fun at cheerleading while highlighting how impressive good cheerleading squads are athletically.

Dunst and Union are good in this and much of the writing is quite clever.

I’d rather re-watch this movie than Chinatown…
:scared:

I hadn’t seen Chinatown in 30(?) years and frankly was disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread