What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Had a "Man, do I feel OLD music moment" today. OUCH. (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
Was at my boys' High School tonite for a meeting for them to sign up for next year's Marching Band. One part of the event was a reveal of their program for next year. They are doing a piece based on "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky. At the end of the evening, feeling kind of cool (big mistake!! :bag: ), and after triple checking myself on Spotify, I asked the teacher who runs the Marching Band if she had heard the Emerson, Lake and Palmer version of the piece. Got a blank stare. :kicksrock:  Had to explain who ELP was, and how they had done the piece as a progressive rock band.  :scared:   She is probably early to mid 30s, but still...

Things like this happen to anyone else?

As a high school teacher this kind of things has happened so often that I don’t even bring up anything older than 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at my boys' High School tonite for a meeting for them to sign up for next year's Marching Band. One part of the event was a reveal of their program for next year. They are doing a piece based on "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky. At the end of the evening, feeling kind of cool (big mistake!! :bag: ), and after triple checking myself on Spotify, I asked the teacher who runs the Marching Band if she had heard the Emerson, Lake and Palmer version of the piece. Got a blank stare. :kicksrock:  Had to explain who ELP was, and how they had done the piece as a progressive rock band.  :scared:   She is probably early to mid 30s, but still...

she should be shamed. 

what lover of music has no idea who ELP is?  I mean you don't have to like them ...but if you have an appreciation of music you should know the history.  

I love music to the point of participating in dozens of drafts a year here and actively seeking out new, old, classic, highly regarded music from the past 50 years and in that entire time I'm pretty sure no one has ever suggested Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Are they like an American Rush or something?

I love music to the point of participating in dozens of drafts a year here and actively seeking out new, old, classic, highly regarded music from the past 50 years and in that entire time I'm pretty sure no one has ever suggested Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Are they like an American Rush or something?
I have to assume you are joking.

Right?

Emerson Lake and Palmer are so bad. American Rush does not even begin to describe it and I don’t like Rush.

oh come on ...and more Rush hate too?  

they have several songs that I like, but was never a big fan ...many of their songs are the epitome of what many people hate about prog rock - long, wandering, overblown.  

but they are famous, and they have been named in many music drafts here.

They are a rock band that covered Modest Mussorgsky’s piano suite. What more needs to be said about how ridiculous ELP is?
The guests downstairs are wondering why I'm lol'ing at the computer. Hoo baby. I know of ELP; I do not know ELP. wikkid gave a pretty good desciption over in another thread recently.

I saw Duff McKagan's daughter's band last week.  They opened for Killing Joke.

The Pink Slips
That guy is wearing some shorts. I thought it might just be an anorexic female, but deep down, I knew better.

That wasn't so great, but I guess it was Killing Joke, so anything with a bit of a rock groove is up for grabs.

Listening to this ELP Pictures at an Exhibition now. What in the holy hell did they do to Ravels arrangement?

When that Uma Thurman song came out a few years ago, all the young un's kept talking that cool riff at the end of each stanza, but never mentioned where it came from. It took me awhile to figure out that they didn't know where it came from. 

I said, "Munsters theme song."

They said, "What?" 

That guy is wearing some shorts. I thought it might just be an anorexic female, but deep down, I knew better.

That wasn't so great, but I guess it was Killing Joke, so anything with a bit of a rock groove is up for grabs.
Duff's girl was committed to her performance.  I gotta give her that.

It was a typical late arriving SF crowd so the Pink Slips were playing for a small audience of maybe 100 people at most.  But Grace was up on stage doing karate kicks in her baby blue jumpsuit.

They are a rock band that covered Modest Mussorgsky’s piano suite. What more needs to be said about how ridiculous ELP is?
Except that they covered "Fanfare for the Common Man" and Copeland liked it.  

It wasn't whether or not he liked them that I questioned.  They've been drafted more than once in all those drafts.  And I really like their cover of "Jerusalem".

I never heard of ELP until someone posted about them here in the FFA. I think one of them died or something. 

They just weren't very mainstream with the masses I guess.

Brain Salad Surgery was one of my go-to albums when I would come home in the wee hours hammered. Great to pass out to. That and Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow.

My neighbors must have loved me. Keep the arm up on the record player so it would play over and over and over while I snoozed away.

They just weren't very mainstream with the masses I guess.
they were not mainstream and had very few "hits".  They were not radio friendly as many of their songs were ultra complex and long.   They were musicians first and fore most and not in any way pop stars.  They never made the transition from progressive to pop the way say Yes or Genesis did.

The "song" you are likely most familiar with is Karn Evil 9, which in its full form is over 29 minutes long.  But for the radio, Karn Evil 1st Impression Part 2 is well known by almost anyone of a certain age.  Listen here, I think you should recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48

Except that they covered "Fanfare for the Common Man" and Copeland liked it.  

It wasn't whether or not he liked them that I questioned.  They've been drafted more than once in all those drafts.  And I really like their cover of "Jerusalem".
Nothing even Copland says will get me to give up my schtick of hating prog rock. I recently reported someone for posting a link to a YES song. 

Oh, man.  Schubert is the suck.  I figure he was the inspiration for Muzak.
I am considering reporting this as well. 

Homer: So... how about those rainbow suspenders, huh?

Bart: Dad...?

Homer: Pretty cool way to keep your pants up, eh?

Bart: Dad!

Homer: I see these kids now with"Jive" printed on their shirts. Pftt... Now, I can teach you how you're supposed to say "jive".

Lisa: Dad... Please just drive the car, dad.

Homer: I'm watching the road, sweetie. You jive turkey. See? You got to sass it. Quit jivin' me, turkey. You got to sass it. A "turkey" is a bad person

Somewhat related is I'm seeing my 20 year old niece post "Remember when..." and "You know you're old when..." memes on Facebook.  I just roll my eyes.     

I thought "man, I'm getting old" when I heard Guns n Roses on the classic rock radio station. 

Then I thought, "Man, I definitely AM old" when they started playing Green Day. 
The Dookie album is like 25 years old now, right?

I was at Starbucks with the wife awhile back and there’s a high school kid wearing an Appetite for Destruction jacket. The guy in line behind him gets really excited and says “I love Paradise City, what’s your favorite?”

Kid: *confused*

Old guy: The song... from that album...

Kid: Oh! I don’t know any of the songs, I just like the jacket. 

Old guy: *contemplating suicide*

they were not mainstream and had very few "hits".  They were not radio friendly as many of their songs were ultra complex and long.   They were musicians first and fore most and not in any way pop stars.  They never made the transition from progressive to pop the way say Yes or Genesis did.

The "song" you are likely most familiar with is Karn Evil 9, which in its full form is over 29 minutes long.  But for the radio, Karn Evil 1st Impression Part 2 is well known by almost anyone of a certain age.  Listen here, I think you should recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48
Gotcha.  And I see that song was release several years before I was born.  Not that surprising, imo, that many 30 something year olds never heard of them.

Well if ELP was in your heyday you are old. ;)

I recently actually purchased Lorde's Pure Heroine and Melodrama in deluxe vinyl versions, and people actually think that it's a new thing to:

1. Purchase music
  2. On vinyl
  3. Pay more for the deluxe version
Hoo boy. The lyrics are also making me feel old. Lots of really mature teenager/young adult (not in the sense of the maudlin or mawkish teen novels marketed as YA) stuff, which is more like the stuff my friends and I discussed back in the late eighties/early nineties than the stuff that was marketed for us. I wonder, then, how sophisticated today's teens are if this stuff bubbles up to the surface and is wildly popular. 

I recently actually purchased Lorde's Pure Heroine and Melodrama in deluxe vinyl versions, and people actually think that it's a new thing to:

1. Purchase music
  2. On vinyl
  3. Pay more for the deluxe version
Hoo boy. The lyrics are also making me feel old. Lots of really mature teenager/young adult (not in the sense of the maudlin or mawkish teen novels marketed as YA) stuff, which is more like the stuff my friends and I discussed back in the late eighties/early nineties than the stuff that was marketed for us. I wonder, then, how sophisticated today's teens are if this stuff bubbles up to the surface and is wildly popular. 
as the father of a soon to be 14 year old young lady, lemme tell ya - they are light years ahead of where we were at their age in terms of self-awareness, biological shennanigans, etc ... they are much more savvy and edumicated - and it's a blessing, in my particular case ... she's kinda terrified of the consequences irresponsible behavior brings on - she has seen/read/heard/lived through ( two of her uncles OD'd) enough to know better - now, how long that lasts is a whole 'nuddah kettle of fish altogether, but, for now  :thumbup:

the real and pure unadulterated ####### EVIL lies in the social mediaz and the bullying ... kids always were quite capable of being insolent lil' ####s (i should know, i was KING of the mofos back then), but this era has ushered in a wave of brutality that is both remarkable and terrifying ... teen girls are capable of some horrific bull####  :coffee:

as the father of a soon to be 14 year old young lady, lemme tell ya - they are light years ahead of where we were at their age in terms of self-awareness, biological shennanigans, etc ... they are much more savvy and edumicated - and it's a blessing, in my particular case ... she's kinda terrified of the consequences irresponsible behavior brings on - she has seen/read/heard/lived through ( two of her uncles OD'd) enough to know better - now, how long that lasts is a whole 'nuddah kettle of fish altogether, but, for now  :thumbup:

the real and pure unadulterated ####### EVIL lies in the social mediaz and the bullying ... kids always were quite capable of being insolent lil' ####s (i should know, i was KING of the mofos back then), but this era has ushered in a wave of brutality that is both remarkable and terrifying ... teen girls are capable of some horrific bull####  :coffee:
Oh yeah, I have total faith the kids get where their elders have failed a bit. They're pretty resilient and savvy, it seems. My niece, who is at the age you'd normally be totally worried about, is more mature than her uncle is now. 

I am also worried about the impact of social media on young women and men. Not to be all-inclusive, but both sexes are capable of horrible ####. I will agree -- teen girls are vicious because I think guys operate in a hierarchical fashion while girls straight ostracize and that's a whole lot more painful sometimes. At least the low man on the totem pole is still considered at all.

Oh yeah, I have total faith the kids get where their elders have failed a bit. They're pretty resilient and savvy, it seems. My niece, who is at the age you'd normally be totally worried about, is more mature than her uncle is now. 

I am also worried about the impact of social media on young women and men. Not to be all-inclusive, but both sexes are capable of horrible ####. I will agree -- teen girls are vicious because I think guys operate in a hierarchical fashion while girls straight ostracize and that's a whole lot more painful sometimes. At least the low man on the totem pole is still considered at all.
oh, boys are absolutely as culpable, no question - matter of fact, i had to have a sit with some lil' ##### and his father because of some trouble he was causing my daughter (####in doosh called her a guinea ##### because she wouldn't go to a dance with him)   :censored:

but, see, the above has been hoing on forever ... jilted  numbnutz acts out like a jackass - par for the pimply course  :shrug:

the reason i mentioned girls was  a)  my wheelhouse, as i have a daughter, and  b) their wickedness on the social mediaz front is ghastly - not all girls, mind you ... but the ones who are #####es now have a venue to be MECHAGODZILLIAN #####es ... it's quite a hellish planet when my kid tells me stories of how "so and so is getting killed on IG (or Snapchat)"

(####in doosh called her a guinea #####

the reason i mentioned girls was  a)  my wheelhouse, as i have a daughter, and  b) their wickedness on the social mediaz front is ghastly - not all girls, mind you ... but the ones who are #####es now have a venue to be MECHAGODZILLIAN #####es ... it's quite a hellish planet when my kid tells me stories of how "so and so is getting killed on IG (or Snapchat)"
Ooh, Italian in-fighting is the worst. (part eye-tie here)

Getting killed on IG or Snapchat for just posting something innocuous is so stupid. It seems like this is the area where Gen Xers and their hatred of all things hierarchical and ostracizing should come to bear as parents. If we can't get anybody to fix a car, we can at least have them play nice. 

Well if ELP was in your heyday you are old. ;)
This portion of their music was before my heyday (Pictures was released a year after I was born). In the 80s, I became a Rush fan, also bands like Boston (from Boston, so that helped!), and Yes (Sorry @Ilov80s) which led me to exploring other progressive music. The Cozy Powell era of ELP was during that time as well. To match people up with the time, Carl Palmer didn't want to do a reunion in the mid 80s, because he was in the band Asia.  

Greg Lake had such a beautiful voice. Still...You Turn Me On was a great song.

Not sure where Lake fell as a bassist, but Carl Palmer and Keith Emerson were near the top of the fields in their respective instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread