What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hakim Nicks without Cruz? (1 Viewer)

I'm flexing Randle in my deep league. I think Detroit defense is fools gold this week. Looks great on paper but the defense is pretty piss poor. I expect a shootout.

I'm flexing Randle in my deep league. I think Detroit defense is fools gold this week. Looks great on paper but the defense is pretty piss poor. I expect a shootout.
I like Randle over Nicks too. Both could be decent flex options if Eli has a good game.

I like Randle over Nicks too. Both could be decent flex options if Eli has a good game.
:lol: see: Week 15...and every week prior this season.
I love how everybody keeps bringing up week 15 like getting embarrassed by the Seahawks D isn't the norm. They made the Saints look like a arena football team. The Lions are NOT the Seahawks. Just because Gruden sold a dream on SNF doesn't make them a good defense. Their "Silver Bullet Band" or whatever they call the line isn't even a leader in sacks. Nobody is stopping Calvin and Eli will have a very decent game.

bulger2holt said:
Phenix said:
How do some people not know how to spell player names?
Yeah, because Hakeem is such a common name. Why do some people have to post about how someone mis-spells an unusual name? Nothing better to do? Lonely? No friends? All the above?
maybe a board member who used to play for the Houston Rockets?

bulger2holt said:
Phenix said:
How do some people not know how to spell player names?
Yeah, because Hakeem is such a common name. Why do some people have to post about how someone mis-spells an unusual name? Nothing better to do? Lonely? No friends? All the above?
This. Grammar police have self esteem issues imo

Do not underestimate the ability of the Lions to choke. This game may end up being the season long slump buster for Eli and crew. No one really expects it, which is why it will probably happen. The Lions D is awful and they always seem to lose to the NFC East.

:lol: see: Week 15...and every week prior this season.
I love how everybody keeps bringing up week 15 like getting embarrassed by the Seahawks D isn't the norm. They made the Saints look like a arena football team. The Lions are NOT the Seahawks. Just because Gruden sold a dream on SNF doesn't make them a good defense. Their "Silver Bullet Band" or whatever they call the line isn't even a leader in sacks. Nobody is stopping Calvin and Eli will have a very decent game.
Gomer has sucked vs everyone. Doesn't matter who they play, no one on offense has any clue where to be or what to do. To top that all off, it appears that Gomer is calling for KillDrive's return next year. Seems he's too stupid to learn another offense and wants to keep sucking in the one he knows.

I would need to be truly, truly desperate to consider starting Randle or Nicks during a championship game.

There are almost certainly better options on the WW.

Die hard Giants fan here....

No shot in hell the Giants show up and have a big game vs the Lions... If I ever seen a Giants team completely quit...this is the one.

We are known for historically embarassing games late in menaingless seasons. The Lions D/ST IS a good pick-up. Book it.

JohnnyU said:
EastonBlues22 said:
I would need to be truly, truly desperate to consider starting Randle or Nicks during a championship game.

really? Like who?
Depends on the league size, but I would start guys like Baldwin, Marvin Jones, Streater, Holmes, Caldwell and even Riley Cooper over either of those two this week.

As Lloyd Christmas said, sure there's a chance Eli shows up and someone has a decent fantasy day.

But as Clint Eastwood said "Do you feel lucky punk? Well? Do you?!!"

I'm forced to start Nicks as a flex in a PPR in the championship. Don't like my other options or the WW

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Nicks will do much. It looks like he's looking to just stay healthy for the offseason. I don't think the Giants are going to feed him so he ends the season with big numbers, increasing his price tag. Even though I think Nicks is done with the Giants and the Giants are done with him.

JohnnyU said:
EastonBlues22 said:

really? Like who?
Depends on the league size, but I would start guys like Baldwin, Marvin Jones, Streater, Holmes, Caldwell and even Riley Cooper over either of those two this week.
Every one of those players are rostered except for Caldwell which I do not think is a better play.

With Cruise out, I expect a healthy bump in production for Gerald Jergens. Eddie loves having that slot WR that he can rely on to move the chains. Last really good slot receiver they had was Steph Smiff. Coffline has a lot of positive stuff to say about Jergens. Knicks is too up and down to be reliable IMO.

With Cruise out, I expect a healthy bump in production for Gerald Jergens. Eddie loves having that slot WR that he can rely on to move the chains. Last really good slot receiver they had was Steph Smiff. Coffline has a lot of positive stuff to say about Jergens. Knicks is too up and down to be reliable IMO.
I can't find these guys in my program. I must have gotten an old one.

JohnnyU said:
EastonBlues22 said:

really? Like who?
Every one of those players are rostered except for Caldwell which I do not think is a better play.
Jones is owned in 27% of ESPN leagues, Cooper in 25%, Baldwin in 18.1%, Streater in 7.8%, Caldwell in 1.3%, Holmes in 0.5%.

The vast majority of people aren't playing in a league deep enough where all these guys are owned.

Agree to disagree on Caldwell. He'll get 5+ targets from arguably the top QB play this week. I'll take that over Nicks or Randle without question.

EastonBlues22 said:

16 team rosters do not have WW luxuries.

I wouldn't expect Nicks to try very hard the next 2 weeks. He's already done the damage to his expected payday. Only an injury could worsen his free agency.

EastonBlues22 said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Most advice on a forum like this isn't applicable for 16 or 32 team leagues, but it's given anyway because most leagues aren't 16 or 32 team leagues.

Those that play in non-standard leagues (scoring, size, etc.) simply need to be aware of how that affects their take on the information that's being presented. In this particular case, they should take from my post that I think that Nicks and Randle are terrible options this week.

EastonBlues22 said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Most advice on a forum like this isn't applicable for 16 or 32 team leagues, but it's given anyway because most leagues aren't 16 or 32 team leagues.

Those that play in non-standard leagues (scoring, size, etc.) simply need to be aware of how that affects their take on the information that's being presented. In this particular case, they should take from my post that I think that Nicks and Randle are terrible options this week.
Welcome to FBG!

My point is that this forum discusses every sort of league size and format, snake draft, auction, blind bid, keeper and every scoring option too. The fact is that w/o Cruz in the lineup, there are X amount of passing targets out there for the taking. There is opportunity (however bleak) and that should not be overlooked.

This is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. Great play on the grammar police.

EastonBlues22 said:

Welcome to FBG!

My point is that this forum discusses every sort of league size and format, snake draft, auction, blind bid, keeper and every scoring option too. The fact is that w/o Cruz in the lineup, there are X amount of passing targets out there for the taking. There is opportunity (however bleak) and that should not be overlooked.
I don't feel like I am overlooking that. All the guys I mentioned are good bets for 5+ targets with a reasonable shot at a TD in an offense that will likely score more passing TDs than the Giants this weekend.

With that in mind I said that I feel like there's almost certainly better options on the WW this week, and then I gave some examples of names when prompted. The names I listed provided at least one option available on 99.5% of ESPN league waiver wires, and another that was available in 98.7% of ESPN leagues. The "almost certainly" in my original post does a more than adequate job of hedging for the very few leagues where neither guy is available.

Jernigan is listed as questionable. That's better than what the Giants passing offense is expected to be.

edit: saw he was downgraded to questionable

I know I am most likely the last man standing that believes Nicks is still an elite talent, but I do.

I think the relationship between Nicks and Coughlin/Giants soured long before the season began and it has been exacerbated by Eli's ineptitude and a horrific OL.

I'm not trying to excuse Nicks as his effort has been subpar without question, but I believe many circumstances have combined to form the perfect storm to make this year go as disappointingly as it has far moreso than any physical decline in his skills.

Absent Cruz, I expect Nicks to put up productive numbers. 6 to 8 catches for 80 to 100 yards wouldn't surprise me. Obviously I can't reasonably project a TD given recent history.

Totally understand that the limb I am on here is both thin and lonely, but we will see what happens.

I have a gut feeling that the Giants passing game shows up this week.

I like Randle and Nicks as sneaky starts.

lod01 said:
I wouldn't expect Nicks to try very hard the next 2 weeks. He's already done the damage to his expected payday. Only an injury could worsen his free agency.
Maybe a couple weeks helps his stock too?

Starting Nicks with confidence.

And by confidence, I mean he's better than my other options.

lod01 said:
Nicks has trouble staying healthy and plays hurt too-let's face it he always seems hurt.

This year has hurt what would have been an obscene payday with the cap increase and team's needing #1 WRs. His play hasn't been great and Eli's has been yuck too.

I still think he's going to make out pretty well this offseason.

The Giants had a ton of trade inquiries for Nicks and I'm taking that to mean there's big interest out there. Detroit still seems interested months later. Yesterday Schwartz was all no comment leave that up to the GM and....yeah no denial and that rumor has not gone away. http://www.freep.com/article/20131220/SPORTS01/312200099/detroit-lions-new-york-giants-hakeem-nicks

He has a lot of tools and prior success where I would guess teams are going to say their trainer and offseason plan will make Nicks healthy.

Reiterate- As a top WR sign and dream...no Nicks isn't that. As a good veteran to add to your team, Nicks is going to create a ton of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread