What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has Frank Gore's role changed? (1 Viewer)

two_dollars

Footballguy
9 carries vs 45 pass attempts.

The Spread offense seems to be killing Gore's value. His last TD 2 weeks ago was a recieving TD. 1st and goal inside the 5, and we get 3 consecutive passes.

Is this a trend that is expected to continue? what happened to Singletary's commitment to the ground game?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from BEFORE the 9 carry game against Seattle!

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers-headlines/ci_13904424

Just because the 49ers are moving toward the spread offense, it doesn't mean they're putting their bell cow out to pasture.

Coach Mike Singletary met with Frank Gore recently to assure him of his place in the 49ers offense. Singletary said he knows from experience that frustration tends to go up as the statistical totals go down.

"Any great player that I've been around — whether it's Walter Payton, whether it's Jerry Rice — when they're not getting the ball, they feel like they're not contributing," Singletary said. "They feel like they're not a part of it.

"I've talked to all of our guys and had them understand that we need to understand that, going forward, everybody will have their part in the success."

Gore has topped 20 carries only once since sustaining an ankle injury Sept. 27. The 49ers threw 41 times last week, and Alex Smith's success in the spread offense has meant a shift away from the power running game.

Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye had memorably described Gore as the "bell cow of our operation." But Gore had 59 rushing yards against Green Bay two weeks ago and only 33 against Jacksonville on Sunday.

Clipped from the postgame press conference:

On whether using RB Frank Gore so little gave the Seahawks an advantage:

“I think there were several advantages in this game for [seattle coach] Jim Mora, but I won’t even address those.”

Completely dismisses the underuse of his RB

On the balance in the first half:

“I think I told you before, and I really do believe this, I want whatever we’re winning with. I think if we have a certain package in the game and it’s a better thought process to pass the ball rather than run the ball, then that’s what we need to do. If it ends in us winning the game, that’s what I want. I don’t want to try and outsmart ourselves. I don’t want to be looking at something where, ‘Let’s see now. How many runs have we had? How many passes have we had?’ We need to look at what’s working.

No intention to change the package they have for Alex Smith. ie: Frank Gore is invisible

On whether he feels comfortable with Jimmy Raye as his offensive coordinator:

“Absolutely, I think that Jimmy has adapted and adjusted. I think he’s going 180, 360 anything that I’ve asked him to do he’s been more than willing to do and I think that he’s done a fine job. I think that Alex has adjusted to him well. I think that he and Alex are on the same page along with [QB coach] Mike Johnson. All of the guys are on the same page and I think that it looked that way yesterday. Alex is feeling as comfortably as he feels and I think that everybody’s on the same page moving forward.”

Everyone is on the same page. That page does not include Frank Gore.

Gore has actually been incredibly consistent all season. He's around tenth in most leagues after missing two games and only playing one snap in another.

Every RB sprinkles in a few stinkers here and there.

He's one of the few RBs left out there right now that gets every RB touch for his team. Even if the 49ers are becoming more of a spread offense/passing team Gore still catches the ball out of the backfield as well as anyone. I don't think it's a negative thing for Gore that the 49ers have become more successful moving the ball through the air.

His remaining schedule for the fantasy playoffs is vs. ARI, @ PHI, and vs. DET. I would expect a pretty solid game this week on Monday night, and if you have a good enough team surrounding Gore to get past the Philly game he might carry you to the championship against the Lions.

Not to hijack the thread, but I picked up Josh Morgan at the time it was announced they were changing to the spread. Timing coincided with Issac Bruce being injured. The spread is doing wonders for the SF WR's.

Maybe I'm just a bitter Gore owner, but I seriously cannot comprehend how you don't just feed this guy the ball every game. Even with the emergence of Davis and Crabtree, he's still far and away their best player. He's proven he has the ability to break off long touchdown runs so why they don't just keep giving it to him is beyond me. Instead, you put the offense in the hands of a guy who was on your bench to start the year? There's a good reason the niners are 5-7.

Maybe I'm just a bitter Gore owner, but I seriously cannot comprehend how you don't just feed this guy the ball every game. Even with the emergence of Davis and Crabtree, he's still far and away their best player. He's proven he has the ability to break off long touchdown runs so why they don't just keep giving it to him is beyond me. Instead, you put the offense in the hands of a guy who was on your bench to start the year? There's a good reason the niners are 5-7.
In today's NFL, you can't expect to score many points relying solely on your RB.Unfortunately for the 49ers, the only way they can pass the ball successfully is through spread formations.

I've been extremely happy with Gore this season. :shrug: The passing game was working against the Seahawks, so why go away from it? Until teams start respecting that the 49ers will throw on them it's going to be difficult for Gore to find consistent running room.

As long as he continues to be used as a receiver out of the backfield I'll be :P about his prospects for the remainder of this season and beyond. A solid passing game will be a positive thing for Gore in the future.

Gore has actually been incredibly consistent all season. He's around tenth in most leagues after missing two games and only playing one snap in another.

He's one of the few RBs left out there right now that gets every RB touch for his team. Even if the 49ers are becoming more of a spread offense/passing team Gore still catches the ball out of the backfield as well as anyone. I don't think it's a negative thing for Gore that the 49ers have become more successful moving the ball through the air.

His remaining schedule for the fantasy playoffs is vs. ARI, @ PHI, and vs. DET. I would expect a pretty solid game this week on Monday night, and if you have a good enough team surrounding Gore to get past the Philly game he might carry you to the championship against the Lions.
This week he plays the Cardinals defense...the same one that stifled ADP.The Detroit game is the only juicy matchup.

This week he plays the Cardinals defense...the same one that stifled ADP.The Detroit game is the only juicy matchup.
Arizona was no match for the best back in the game, Chris Johnson. I wouldn't worry about Gore against AZ.

Arizona was no match for the best back in the game, Chris Johnson. I wouldn't worry about Gore against AZ.
Not Gore you have to worry about. It's the game plan. I am skeptical!

The Vikings got behind a bit and playcalled Adrian out of the game. Peterson only had 13 carries, and Chester Taylor was coming in on 3rd and passing downs.The Cardinals have been shredded on the ground a few times this season by some good backs. Gore is very capable of having a good/great game against the Cardinals. He's also historically very solid in games at home vs. Arizona.14 carries for 96 and 1 TD with 4 catches for 55 yards in 0818 carries for 55 and 1 TD with 1 catch for 21 in 0711 carries for 51 and 2 TDs with 6 catches for 35 yards in 06I'd be happy with any of those games from Gore on Monday Night.

Mid-season offensive scheme changes are not common. What's happening to Gore can't really be unexpected (though his owners definitely hoped he'd stay productive somehow).

But how do things look for Gore in 2010? Will a full offseason, mini-camps, TC, etc. with the spread offense help all 49ers offensive players (but especially Gore/Coffee) next season?

Mid-season offensive scheme changes are not common. What's happening to Gore can't really be unexpected (though his owners definitely hoped he'd stay productive somehow).But how do things look for Gore in 2010? Will a full offseason, mini-camps, TC, etc. with the spread offense help all 49ers offensive players (but especially Gore/Coffee) next season?
Gore is a three down back...he will be a monster out of the backfeild with a full trainng camp. If they decide to go in that direction. I just think right now they want to make sure they have a franchise QB in Smith and that he has truly turned the corner. Gore is a stud.

Dropped him.

Well, its an 8 team league and s jax was on the waiver wire.

I own him in another league and I'll be starting him as far as I can into the playoffs but honestly, I'm pretty worried. If I make it to that detroit matchup I'll be ecstatic.

There's something to say for them moving the ball and him getting more oppurtunities. I drafted him as a number 1. But he's starting to look more like a number 2.

BusterTBronco said:
Newsflash people. The NFL is a passing league. None of the top teams have a RB as the focal point of their offense. I think that Singletary realized this shortly after he elevated Alex Smith to starter.
But I would rebut by saying that the top teams do not have a 45 to 9 pass to run split either. They are certaiinly more balanced.

Your just upset Favre and the Vikes were exposed...... Cincy beats them this week and probably by double digits.And to your coment when Gore met the Cardinals earlier this year he went

22 Carries for 30yds 1.3 ypc so good call

Had Wrner been playing CJ would have not got what he did they would have been playing from behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your just upset Favre and the Vikes were Childress was exposed...... Cincy beats them this week and probably by double digits.And to your coment when Gore met the Cardinals earlier this year he went

22 Carries for 30yds 1.3 ypc so good call

Had Wrner been playing CJ would have not got what he did they would have been playing from behind.
Fixed

Upon seeing the subtitle of this thread "Singletary is a liar", I now understand why he dropped his pants at halftime.

They were in fact... on fire.

Joe Staley's been hurt basically since Alex Smith took over. While Barry Sims has been solid, will the return of their best Olinemen perhaps prompt SF to run the ball a little more?

Mid-season offensive scheme changes are not common. What's happening to Gore can't really be unexpected (though his owners definitely hoped he'd stay productive somehow).

But how do things look for Gore in 2010? Will a full offseason, mini-camps, TC, etc. with the spread offense help all 49ers offensive players (but especially Gore/Coffee) next season?
i have seen nothing to say the 49ers are committed to alex smith as QB in 2010. i don't think the 9ers know that answer at this point.

So who's rolling with Gore this week? I don't trust the coaching staff and the AZ defense isn't bad. I'm trying to decide on 5 of the following: F.Gore, R.Grant, P.Thomas, Calvin, D.Jackson, and R.White.

I'm very tempted to sit Gore based on his recent usage.

I don't know if "changed" is the right term, so much as seen limited carries. Here are his total touches the past 4 games. San Francisco has gone 2-2 in those games.

vs. Chicago: 29 (25 + 4)

@ Green Bay: 10 (7 + 3)

vs. Jacksonville: 23 (16 + 7)

@ Seattle: 14 (9 + 5)

Also you need to dig deeper in those games. Against Green Bay, they were down 23-3 at halftime so they had to pass to try and catch up. Against Seattle, they were in striking distance the whole game and Gore wasn't proving very effective on the ground (9 for 25) so why force feed him the ball to just cross your fingers that he may break off a big run when he's largely been struggling? It's not like the passing game was struggling either so Singletary leaned on what was working at the time.

Homers.. any news out of SF about the gameplan this week?
You seem pretty convinced you can't trust singaltary. What makes you think the info will be any good?
I wouldn't trust it at all but I will be rolling with Gore anyway. He plays 90+ % of the snaps. The coaching staff is obviously not too bright. 2 games where Gore got 20+ carries they won. Not too hard to figure out who should be involved.

:coffee:

:shrug:
:thumbup:
:ptts: Well, it looks like sitting Gore for Miles Austin cost me dearly.

I only won 87.70 to 51.96 instead of 91.94 to 51.96.

He'll start this week though...I just have to figure which one player from below to bench THIS time (NOT a WDIS).

Gore, Frank SFO RB

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB

Williams, Ricky MIA RB

Austin, Miles DAL WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Johnson, Andre HOU WR

From Adam Schefter's Twitter:

49ers formula for winning: SF is 5-0 this season when Frank Gore gets more than 15 carries and 0-6 when he doesn't (DNP in 2 games).
Just saying...
You always have to look at every perspective when analyszing the meaning behind statistics. Perhaps it's the other way around and he only gets 15+ carries in games that they are winning for reasons in addition to the running game. So the extra carries could easily be a by product of carrying the lead, or at least keeping it close enough to win.Either way, i'm nercous about the Philly game... I have to start two out of chris johsnon, gore, cedric benson and jamaal charles. I'm leaning towards CJ and Gore... but Charles is so tempting at home against Cleveland....

From Adam Schefter's Twitter:

49ers formula for winning: SF is 5-0 this season when Frank Gore gets more than 15 carries and 0-6 when he doesn't (DNP in 2 games).
Just saying...
You always have to look at every perspective when analyszing the meaning behind statistics. Perhaps it's the other way around and he only gets 15+ carries in games that they are winning for reasons in addition to the running game. So the extra carries could easily be a by product of carrying the lead, or at least keeping it close enough to win.
Very true. Like with many other statisitcs, it's very difficult to prove causation. I posted it mainly because it supported my "Frank Gore is their best player, they should give him the ball" argument from earlier in the thread.

It's been a roller coaster ride as a Gore owner this season.

He started off hot, but then had that ankle injury.

He then had a stretch of decent games, only to see his touches limited as the Niners passed more, and now yesterday the Niners offensive coordinator might've finally realized "Hey, maybe it would be a smart move to give our top playmaker more touches".

Hopefully he keeps it up against Philly this weekend because there's a really sweet matchup in Week 16 for us Gore owners.

He then had a stretch of decent games, only to see his touches limited as the Niners passed more, and now yesterday the Niners offensive coordinator might've finally realized "Hey, maybe it would be a smart move to give our top playmaker more touches".

Hopefully he keeps it up against Philly this weekend because there's a really sweet matchup in Week 16 for us Gore owners.
Seeing how the Giants RBs fared against Philly makes me feel better about using Gore this week against them.Jacobs/Bradshaw:

29 Rush

115 Rush Yards

4.0 Yds/Rush

2 Rush TD

1 Fumble

5 Rec

55 Rec Yards

11 Yds/Rec

0 Rec TD

1 Fumble

34 Touches

170 Total Yards

5.0 Y/T

2 TDs

2 Fumbles

Seeing how the Giants RBs fared against Philly makes me feel better about using Gore this week against them.Jacobs/Bradshaw:

29 Rush

115 Rush Yards

4.0 Yds/Rush

2 Rush TD

1 Fumble

5 Rec

55 Rec Yards

11 Yds/Rec

0 Rec TD

1 Fumble

34 Touches

170 Total Yards

5.0 Y/T

2 TDs

2 Fumbles
Also, with the pressure philly will apply from their LBs, lots of screen and dump off chances for those PPR owners out there as well.

I wouldn't predict a big game for Gore this week, but it's reasonable to expect 80-90 total yards and a TD. He's too good to sit on most fantasy rosters.

Gore's in beastmode this year. As long as he gets his touches, he'll get his points. Sure, there's always the question of whether he'll get his touches, but I think the fact that he rushed for more yards than Smith passed for (despite Smith having more attempts) probably reminded the 49ers that he's kind of sort of the engine that makes the offense go.

i have seen nothing to say the 49ers are committed to alex smith as QB in 2010. i don't think the 9ers know that answer at this point.
I kinda see it this way. In fact, my guess is that Singletary uses the off-season to revamp for a more conservative, run-based attack in 2010. I can appreciate that he's willing to switch to a scheme that matches his current roster's strengths and weaknesses, but I suspect he still has in his mind what he wants this team to look like...and that isn't having Smith tossing it around 40 times a game.

Users who are viewing this thread