What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hatred for people that use Draft Dominator (1 Viewer)

Bristol

Footballguy
I know that I am not alone in this.

I hate people that don't know how to use this awesome program. You are drafting either online or with friends and you either know or get a feeling that someone else is using draft dominator. You watch as they continuously take the top player listed in the rankings regardless of round or ADP. They just take the player because it is who the program has ranked highest. I have seen this happen over and over and over again each and every year, even in leagues that I do online and don't know anyone. It's easy to figure out who is using it.

Perfect example: In a 12 team league that is drafting now, Gaffney was just taken in the 8th round! DD has him at an ADP of 13 but fantasy football calculator has him at 11. Why was he taken that early? Because he was the #1 ranked WR on DD at that time.

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend how to use the program? It's not supposed to tell you who to take with your next pick. It is more of a big picture tool.

IMO, the misuse of DD by people who don't take the time to learn the real value of it ruins a lot of drafts for those of us that do.

Agree or diasagree?

agree. DD is based upon your league rules and FBG's projections. if FBG's is high on player X (say johnny knox) then he will be higher on your "cheatsheet" (i.e. DD) but not necessarily so on everyone else's list. you have to consider ADP and know your league tendencies. you can certainly use DD to draft for you, but what's the fun in that.

every year i get ripped by my league mates who think i bought a program to draft for me. whatever...i use it mostly to track my draft and help me target players.

Its a tip that if we were just supposed to follow ADP, we would just autodraft.

Perhaps that is where the guy felt he should be selected.

Chief, you do realize that ADP is AVERAGE draft position... if Gaffney is 13.09 it doesn't mean that in Every Draft he goes exactly at pick 13.09... he might go at 11.05 in one draft and in round 16 in the next. If your league mates are a little more in tune to ADP and who is rising and falling... you cant sit back and expect your Super Sleeper to be available in the round of his ADP, you might have to pick a player the round before ADP--its okay.

All you have to do is tweak the projections to get guys were you want them. Best value also has settings that many don't take advantage of....like how many RB's or WR's , ect will go before your next pick

I thought this was going to be about the beeping/buzzing of the timer. Nothing better than a roomful of those going off at the end of every pick.

:lmao:

I don't get it, you are complaining that you know who someone is going to pick?

You don't like that it is available to all subscribers?

How does it ruin a draft?

I use it as a tool for a cheatsheet, I prefer to cross off names myself, I will never do it another way, I know who I like and who I have ranked above another player in my head. I don't get your complaint.

Word. What benbadman said. I don't mind reaching on a player I really want a round or two earlier if I don't find value where I am. In fact, I have a few guys in mind that I really want on my team, so if round 9 comes along and I'm feeling good about my team, I'll take my super-sleeper early just to make sure someone else doesn't.

Chief, you do realize that ADP is AVERAGE draft position... if Gaffney is 13.09 it doesn't mean that in Every Draft he goes exactly at pick 13.09... he might go at 11.05 in one draft and in round 16 in the next. If your league mates are a little more in tune to ADP and who is rising and falling... you cant sit back and expect your Super Sleeper to be available in the round of his ADP, you might have to pick a player the round before ADP--its okay.
Yes "Chief", I do realize that it is AVERAGE draft position. But when a player is taken 3 to 4 rounds higher than where he is currently slotted, you really have to wonder what the drafter was thinking. I can see taking a player a round early, but I have seen people take players over and over again just because DD shows them as the highest rated. Sounds like you are one of the people that do that.

I don't get it, you are complaining that you know who someone is going to pick?You don't like that it is available to all subscribers?How does it ruin a draft?I use it as a tool for a cheatsheet, I prefer to cross off names myself, I will never do it another way, I know who I like and who I have ranked above another player in my head. I don't get your complaint.
It ruins a draft because when you are using the program properly, you can kind of look ahead and figure out who may be there in 4 or 5 rounds from now and if you can afford to take a different position. When someone grabs a player 3 to 5 rounds ahead of ADP, it throws off the draft.The DD is much more than a cheatsheet. Once you realize the full power of this program, then you will understand what my complaint is.

This thread is like complaining about a bad beat from a terrible poker player. Sure it sucks you got beat once but it's the reason you're able to win in the long run. Besides, does it really matter if the guy you're targeting is drafted three picks earlier or three rounds earlier? You're not getting him either way, and honestly, the latter is preferable because your opponent isn't getting nearly the value he could be getting.

DD has some good features to use, but you can't fault people for taking the highest person listed if they are using the tool. For some folks, it's the Best Person Available. It's the same thing with someone having a cheat sheet with their top 200 and taking the best person available if structured with Value Points.

Personally, I stopped using the DD to track the draft and I rely on using tiers with the VBD spreadsheet. I use DD for SOS, Depth Charts, and keeping track of other team needs. I have two people in my league of 12 who also use DD and take BPA. I like it as I know who they will be taking in advance. Of course, if you are tweaking the projections in the DD, then your cheatsheet may not match theirs and then it's just another opposing team picking off of a draft sheet.

This thread is like complaining about a bad beat from a terrible poker player. Sure it sucks you got beat once but it's the reason you're able to win in the long run. Besides, does it really matter if the guy you're targeting is drafted three picks earlier or three rounds earlier? You're not getting him either way, and honestly, the latter is preferable because your opponent isn't getting nearly the value he could be getting.
Agree 100%. I wasn't targeting Gaffney. He was just one of the players that when I looked ahead figured he would be there in thee 11 to 13th rounds if I needed a WR. It is good when someone reaches and leaves better players behind, but it is just stupid that they even make the pick.

Yes "Chief", I do realize that it is AVERAGE draft position. But when a player is taken 3 to 4 rounds higher than where he is currently slotted, you really have to wonder what the drafter was thinking. I can see taking a player a round early, but I have seen people take players over and over again just because DD shows them as the highest rated. Sounds like you are one of the people that do that.
You say this like people don't reach for players without DD.

I use it as a tool for a cheatsheet, I prefer to cross off names myself, I will never do it another way, I know who I like and who I have ranked above another player in my head. I don't get your complaint.
It ruins a draft because when you are using the program properly, you can kind of look ahead and figure out who may be there in 4 or 5 rounds from now and if you can afford to take a different position. When someone grabs a player 3 to 5 rounds ahead of ADP, it throws off the draft.The DD is much more than a cheatsheet. Once you realize the full power of this program, then you will understand what my complaint is.
am I the only one hearing Darth Vader read these posts in my head?

So if everyone uses DD correctly, you get all the players you want when you want them.

Lots of stupid in this logic. What happens when teams don't use DD?

It ruins a draft because when you are using the program properly, you can kind of look ahead and figure out who may be there in 4 or 5 rounds from now and if you can afford to take a different position. When someone grabs a player 3 to 5 rounds ahead of ADP, it throws off the draft.
Drafts are supposed to be predictable? When did this start?

I hear Urkel.

:lmao:

Agree 100%. I wasn't targeting Gaffney. He was just one of the players that when I looked ahead figured he would be there in thee 11 to 13th rounds if I needed a WR. It is good when someone reaches and leaves better players behind, but it is just stupid that they even make the pick.
An owner takes a player that you aren't targeting, earlier then he should (in your opinion), and this bothers you. FYI - based on ffcalculator Gaffney is going anywhere from 7.10 to 15.06 in a 12 team league. So at least one other person has him ranked as a late 7th round pick. Maybe someone is just enamored with his 6/98 night in week No. 2 and figures someone has to catch the ball in Denver, maybe they are a big Denver fan, or maybe you are in a league with Gaffney's cousin.Either way it left a better person for you so that's a good thing, right?

I thought this was going to be about the beeping/buzzing of the timer. Nothing better than a roomful of those going off at the end of every pick. :fishing:
DD!! A great tool for the masses! FBG is great but they've become so big that they drive the herd.

While I agree this is an example of people not using DD to it's fullest potential there is no sense #####in about it.

Use it to your advantage.

If some of your leaguemates are using stock dd projections then you can to some extent bank on them ignoring adp and taking players near the top of a pos list.

Over relying on ADP to wait on someone you want can lead to heartache.

If you really want someone and they are near the top of the dd stock rankings then you need to adjust.

Drafts are as much predicting others actions as they are evaluating NFL players potential.

Just accept it and use it to your advantage.

Bristol, your complaint fails in logic. You are complaining that a draft isn't predictable. That is absurd. Secondly, to call a person that takes a player 2-3 rounds early dumb, is also lame. Perhaps they did know how to use the DD and they had him as the next highest ranked player. Who are you to say they don't know what they are doing? I would go as far as to say that perhaps you need to adjust your drafting strategy if you are strictly going by ADP to draft your players.

I know that I am not alone in this.I hate people that don't know how to use this awesome program. You are drafting either online or with friends and you either know or get a feeling that someone else is using draft dominator. You watch as they continuously take the top player listed in the rankings regardless of round or ADP. They just take the player because it is who the program has ranked highest. I have seen this happen over and over and over again each and every year,
how many years have they had it?

... Secondly, to call a person that takes a player 2-3 rounds early dumb, is also lame. Perhaps they did know how to use the DD and they had him as the next highest ranked player. Who are you to say they don't know what they are doing? I would go as far as to say that perhaps you need to adjust your drafting strategy if you are strictly going by ADP to draft your players.
Good post. I was going to say the same and add that perhaps this player has realized that DD is being used by others in this draft and therefore knows that he can't expect to get his player at the listed ADP. If he really believes in the projections used to value that player well above his ADP, then he is wisely taking him at value...rather than hoping that some other idiot drafting straight from DD doesn't grab him earlier.

Perhaps he has made the meta-leap-beyond in a draft world overly populated by DD. :thumbdown:

I don't get it, you are complaining that you know who someone is going to pick?You don't like that it is available to all subscribers?How does it ruin a draft?I use it as a tool for a cheatsheet, I prefer to cross off names myself, I will never do it another way, I know who I like and who I have ranked above another player in my head. I don't get your complaint.
If you want the guy...you better not wait 4 or 5 rounds because his ADP says so.This is your own issue, not other people using it wrong.

Hate...I LOVE these people in my drafts?? :lmao:

I know that I am not alone in this.I hate people that don't know how to use this awesome program. You are drafting either online or with friends and you either know or get a feeling that someone else is using draft dominator. You watch as they continuously take the top player listed in the rankings regardless of round or ADP. They just take the player because it is who the program has ranked highest. I have seen this happen over and over and over again each and every year, even in leagues that I do online and don't know anyone. It's easy to figure out who is using it.Perfect example: In a 12 team league that is drafting now, Gaffney was just taken in the 8th round! DD has him at an ADP of 13 but fantasy football calculator has him at 11. Why was he taken that early? Because he was the #1 ranked WR on DD at that time.Why is it so hard for people to comprehend how to use the program? It's not supposed to tell you who to take with your next pick. It is more of a big picture tool.IMO, the misuse of DD by people who don't take the time to learn the real value of it ruins a lot of drafts for those of us that do.Agree or diasagree?
Im sorry your leaguemates don't draft like you think they should. Better send them a memo before next years draft.

Hey, man, I totally agree. I hate people who don't know how to use DD! Those guys just completely rely on the ADP in the tool! And then when I take their guy a few rounds early, they whine about it! Hate those guys, man. I feel you...

It ruins a draft...
Oh come on.

it ruins a lot of drafts for those of us that do.Agree or diasagree?
Your draft is ruined because they are taking good players.. isn't that how everybody's draft is ruined?.. basically you are upset they are not "reaching" and leaving you the best player on the board

I know that I am not alone in this.

I hate people that don't know how to use this awesome program. You are drafting either online or with friends and you either know or get a feeling that someone else is using draft dominator. You watch as they continuously take the top player listed in the rankings regardless of round or ADP. They just take the player because it is who the program has ranked highest. I have seen this happen over and over and over again each and every year, even in leagues that I do online and don't know anyone. It's easy to figure out who is using it.

Perfect example: In a 12 team league that is drafting now, Gaffney was just taken in the 8th round! DD has him at an ADP of 13 but fantasy football calculator has him at 11. Why was he taken that early? Because he was the #1 ranked WR on DD at that time.

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend how to use the program? It's not supposed to tell you who to take with your next pick. It is more of a big picture tool.

IMO, the misuse of DD by people who don't take the time to learn the real value of it ruins a lot of drafts for those of us that do.

Agree or diasagree?
I hate to tell you this, but that's exactly how you're supposed to use the program. You're complaining that someone is using a tool to draft the highest ranked player? Given the saturation of the DD in the market, I would think it's a better predictor of drafts than ADP in competitive leagues.

All I'm gonna say is sometimes the value pick is not worth the wait. finished my 14 team draft tonight and even though I landed some great value, I also missed on many targeted players. What drove me nuts tonight was that I missed these guys by 1 spot up or down meaning I was next pick when the players where taken. Interesting though my plan going in was RB/WR/RB out of the #3 spot. I ended up going RB/RB/RB which was a no no in todays drafts. Oh well we will see what happens.

The point being is if you notice others drafting like they are using your cheatsheet then it should give you the advantage of knowing when your targeted players are going to be drafted. Sticking with a pure value based draft was your mistake. Keep in mind that when you pass on players to gain value you risk passing that value to someone else.

Actually, Klytus...but that's only becuase of Bristol's avatar.

I thought this was going to be about the beeping/buzzing of the timer. Nothing better than a roomful of those going off at the end of every pick.

:rolleyes:
DD!! A great tool for the masses! FBG is great but they've become so big that they drive the herd.
No doubt about it. In one of my leagues, I can tell what my team is going to be before the draft even starts just by comparing my rankings to the FBG rankings.

The "correct" use of Draft Dominator, in the world you describe, would be to use it as pre-draft intel. Near perfect pre-draft information on other teams' plans, plus your own rankings, ought to give you an effortless, foolproof path to a great draft.

Unless the real complaint is simply that the rankings you bought instead of doing any work for yourself were available for sale to others. That's why we don't buy off the rack before heading to the ball, Cinderella.

Users who are viewing this thread