What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever taken a 2nd QB simply to screw those without one? (1 Viewer)

ILoveMyLions

Footballguy
This is a strategy I've used before and am considering using it again in one of my leagues. In leagues that only has ten or twelve teams, this likely won't work. The numbers are not on your side as there are just too many starting QBs. But, in larger leagues, ie. 14-16, this is a strategy that can be deadly and can really hurt your opponent. Many teams will try and load up on RBs and WRs and a TE and then settle for Favre, E. Manning, Cutler or the like. Often, they'll take two in a row there to back themselves up and play matchups. I think you have to block this because by the 7th or 8th round in these larger leagues, the talent left really does not favor taking a garbage WR over a very good QB. If just a couple of teams do this, some teams will be left with an unstable QB. Has anyone else ever done this and what have been your results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our league has a "Starters First" drafting rule to prevent this.
:thumbdown:
We previously had a "Max 2 QB" rule also, but that has finally gone away... Our scoring has pass TD's equal to Rush/Rec TD's, so QB is relatively important.
Both rules are like drafts with training wheels. If the boobs in your league are too dense to see all the starting <position X> going off the board and don't realize they'll need a <position X> I don't agree with any rules that are meant to compensate or protect themselves from their own stupidity.As to the OP, how does taking a 2nd QB screw with anyone in a 16 team league? Anyone not taking their QB2 seriously in a 16 team league is just dumb. That QB2 may be Sorgi, but you had better have how you are going to address QB2 worked out pretty early when assembling your team I would think.

My 12 team league went loco with drafting two QBs early, before I knew it 15 were gone. I ended up with Alex Smith as my starter. Yikes. Go Niners!!

My 12 team league went loco with drafting two QBs early, before I knew it 15 were gone. I ended up with Alex Smith as my starter. Yikes. Go Niners!!
Actually if you are going to go QBBC Alex Smith isn't that bad a QB to have. If you are a subscriber you should check out Chase Stuart's QBBC Start 1 article. Pretty good stuff. And reason #2574 to be a member. Nice work Chase(I think he writes the article every year or has for several).

Did it in the ninth round this year where 6 teams didn't have a QB yet - grabbed Vince Young (took Bulger in the fifth)

Both rules are like drafts with training wheels.
They served their purpose when the league 1st started about 12 yrs ago - at least half of us (myself included) had never been in a league before.

In 2003 a guy took Peyton Manning in the 1st round and then grabbed Drew Bledsoe in the 3rd round, proclaiming "He's just too valuable to pass up here!"

Bledsoe never sniffed his starting lineup. He tried in vain to trade him, with no success.

I had been considering taking Bledsoe in the 4th-6th round but ended up grabbing a couple scrubs later on.

Did it this year -- one guy was holding off on QB for the entire draft and Hass was just sitting there. Everyone else had a started and it seemed like this guy was going to get Hass in the last round the way things were going. So I took him in something like the seventh round (keep-four league, so equivalent of the 11th), even though I already had Brees.

I tell myself I made the pick for value, but it's a lie. It was all about spite.

Thinking that Kitna wouldn't slip to me in the 5th, I took Bulger at 4.01 in a 12 team league.

Lo and behold, there was Kitna at 5.12, and I gobbled him up as well (wanted him more than Bulger, anyway).

So, now I've got a guy who wants Bulger badly (Leftwich owner), and I think we've got a nice deal worked out for an upgrade at wideout.

I didn't do it so much as to screw with anybody. But, I didn't want anyone else to steal Kitna with anything later than the 60th pick.

If you're doing it to screw someone, I'm assuming you're at the end of a tier. If you're at the end of a tier, taking a quality backup probably isn't the worst idea depending on your league setup. I'm generally a "last starter, first backup" kinda guy anyway, so I'll often take two somewhat close to each other.

This is a strategy I've used before and am considering using it again in one of my leagues. In leagues that only has ten or twelve teams, this likely won't work. The numbers are not on your side as there are just too many starting QBs. But, in larger leagues, ie. 14-16, this is a strategy that can be deadly and can really hurt your opponent. Many teams will try and load up on RBs and WRs and a TE and then settle for Favre, E. Manning, Cutler or the like. Often, they'll take two in a row there to back themselves up and play matchups. I think you have to block this because by the 7th or 8th round in these larger leagues, the talent left really does not favor taking a garbage WR over a very good QB. If just a couple of teams do this, some teams will be left with an unstable QB. Has anyone else ever done this and what have been your results?
yes.

I have been on both ends of the QB "dilemma" before. This year I was the first person to grab a QB with Manning and I have been the last in other years. This year I drafted two upper tier TE's and two upper tier Defenses before half the league had starters at each position. Drafting Manning allows an owner to be creative at these positions earlier in the draft as there really is no guessing game for who you will play at QB. I took the TEs and Defs to prevent other teams from getting them and feel good about it.

Would I? Yes

Where? Any position

When? When all tiers should come back to me but that one, I take the best player available

I may do this round after round

I think there is a point where the value of the great backup QB, although it can be valuable, does not outweigh the damage it can do to some of your opponents. They may end up with better WRs, but if they are rolling out Losman or Schaub, I like my chances a lot better to win. Obviously this depends on how much value your league places on QB and the points they can put up. In most of my leagues, the QBs are almost always the top 10 scorers by the end of the year (LT and elite RB years are the exception).

Thats awful...... I would never ever play by that..and as to the title post; yes I have and yes I will do it again... If there is get value at QB; I will take #2 or even #3 in order to start a run... just trade them away later

Thats awful...... I would never ever play by that..and as to the title post; yes I have and yes I will do it again... If there is get value at QB; I will take #2 or even #3 in order to start a run... just trade them away later
I don't understand leagues who make rules to prevent owners from outhinking and outplaying one another. Isn't that half of the fun? Like picking up a guy on waivers to block them from getting a QB that week because their's got hurt. Especially if you play them that week. That's just dumb...

Last year I was drafting 9th in a 12 teamer with weird WR scoring (good return guys were actually better than good WRs). Anyway, I took Manning, then 2 or 3 RBs, then got Donovan McNabb in the 4th or 5th (can't remember which). Ended up trading McNabb a week or two before he got hurt & won the league. So, as long as you have a willing trading partner, the two QB theory can work.

Late in the 9th round Tony Romo was still sitting out there despite 2 teams not having a QB yet. I also knew the two guys right before me passed on a QB because they knew everyone after them already had one. Knowing Romo usually goes in the 7th round I thought I had to pull the triger despite taking Manning in the 2nd. I hated doing this as it was of little value to my team, but he was by far the most valuable player on the board at that point and I was pretty solid by then. I may regret it, but you have to start someone during the bye week right?

that's SOOOO LAME. :confused: Who are you, Joe Friday? Just the facts, Ma'am..playing 'keep away' with other owners, is part of fantasy football, heck, even the NFL teams do it!..I guess you don't like people who bluff in poker, either. sounds like a NFL fantasy league, i.e., No Fun League. drafting prospects or players that you know other teams need, gives you GREAT trade bait for moves later on in the season.part of drafting late every round, is to pick players you don't need for the purpose of trading for players wanted but couldn't get,because they were taken before your turn.

i just did it with Vince Young and McNabb, Mcnabb was free falling and i looked over and saw 3 guys picking after me and still needing their first QB in round 8

i couldnt let one of them snag McNabb after waiting that long and the dropoff went two tiers to ASmith and Campbell after McNabb left the board

i got not one, not two, but 3 cussings

was well worth it just for that even if it doesn't work out for my team LOL

Actually if you are going to go QBBC Alex Smith isn't that bad a QB to have. If you are a subscriber you should check out Chase Stuart's QBBC Start 1 article. Pretty good stuff. And reason #2574 to be a member. Nice work Chase(I think he writes the article every year or has for several).
Yeah, I fondly remember that powerhouse combination I plucked from that article last year to go with Warner, Favre, and Brooks. :rolleyes: I was determined to avoid a possibility of a repeat of that disaster and go earlier on QB then I have for a while but waited a round too long, watched a run on QBs and ended up with Alex Smith as well.

In a 10 teamer I participate in every year everybody tries to wait on QB...I almost always take two early...and almost always end up trading one by midseason.

I do that all the time; I'm in a start 2QB league (drafts this Wednesday) and each and every year I'm one of the first or second guys to grab my 2nd QB; puts the pressure on the guys who tried to wait it out.

Take two? I drafted three QBs in my 14-team league: Kitna, Big Ben and Rex Grossman. Nothing sucks more than not having a decent QB in a 14-team league. I know. I've been there.

i just did it with Vince Young and McNabb, Mcnabb was free falling and i looked over and saw 3 guys picking after me and still needing their first QB in round 8i couldnt let one of them snag McNabb after waiting that long and the dropoff went two tiers to ASmith and Campbell after McNabb left the boardi got not one, not two, but 3 cussingswas well worth it just for that even if it doesn't work out for my team LOL
Why did you draft Young over Mcnabb to begin with? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I fondly remember that powerhouse combination I plucked from that article last year to go with Warner, Favre, and Brooks. :thumbdown: I was determined to avoid a possibility of a repeat of that disaster and go earlier on QB then I have for a while but waited a round too long, watched a run on QBs and ended up with Alex Smith as well.
To be fair they only present you with the defensive matchups that compliment one another best. It's up to you to decide whether Warner and Brooks stink or not. I do remember some people getting all jazzed up about both of them on this board though. Not sure where you drafted Favre last year but in most leagues I've been in he outperformed his ADP by quite a wide margin.

I don't see the point in doing this just to screw someone over. If taking a QB is not the move that most helps your team, then you wasted a draft pick, because you have gained no advantage. That team that now is not able to get a decent QB will be just as easy for everyone else in the league to beat up on, meaning the other 10, 12 or 14 teams that you are trying to win against, gained just as much as you. Actually they gain more than you, because while you were "taking one for the team" so to speak, they were using their draft picks in that round to improve their own teams.

A much wiser approach would be to make it known that the QB pool was getting thin about 5 picks before his/her next turn, and let some other sap waste a pick.

i just did it with Vince Young and McNabb, Mcnabb was free falling and i looked over and saw 3 guys picking after me and still needing their first QB in round 8i couldnt let one of them snag McNabb after waiting that long and the dropoff went two tiers to ASmith and Campbell after McNabb left the boardi got not one, not two, but 3 cussingswas well worth it just for that even if it doesn't work out for my team LOL
Why did you draft Young over Mcnabb to begin with? :rolleyes:
because Young was a keeper in a keep 5 league (rd 8 would then be the equivalent of the 3rd round of FA drafting), no need to apologize for rolling the eyes, i forgive youbut in all honesty i wouldve anyways, rush TDs are 6 and pass TDs are 3, yardage is equally hampered for QBs passing vs rushing

Of course I will. Value is value.

If they are trying to get away with not having to invest and still scoring value, then they get shorted.

Thinking that Kitna wouldn't slip to me in the 5th, I took Bulger at 4.01 in a 12 team league.

Lo and behold, there was Kitna at 5.12, and I gobbled him up as well (wanted him more than Bulger, anyway).
So let me get this straight. You are looking at Kitna or Bulger. You don't think whichever you pass on will last to your next pick. You like Kitna more than Bulger. So of course, you do the logical thing and grab Bulger? :rolleyes: You're going to have to explain this to me, because right now, it looks to me like you had two guys who you didn't think would make it back, so you deliberately grabbed the guy you liked less. Hey, at the #1 overall pick, I bet neither Tomlinson nor Willie Parker will make it back to me in the second, and I like Tomlinson better than Parker, so clearly I should be following the Cobalt Guide To Drafting Success and grab FWP, right?

I don't understand leagues who make rules to prevent owners from outhinking and outplaying one another. Isn't that half of the fun? Like picking up a guy on waivers to block them from getting a QB that week because their's got hurt. Especially if you play them that week. That's just dumb...
Come on, there's just as much opportunity for a savvy owner to out-think and outplay his leaguemates in a "starters first" league. Read this for details.

I have never done it simply to screw someone. We had an odd occurence in which on of our drafters went AWOL mid-draft, and went on auto-pick. He's my ex-boss, is generally solid, and in my division.

So I knew the auto-drafter was going to try and take best available player, but I was live at the draft, but without a PC. I stepped up and took Losman as the last QB I felt was in a particular tier, and his team didn't take a QB at that wraparound - he had 1st position, so LT is on his team.

At that point people started grabbing QB on the next 2 rounds, and his team punted the QB spot until 16.12 - last pick in the draft, he got Jason Campbell. He's made a deal since then, but Pennington/Campbell doesn't scare me at all.

I have never done it simply to screw someone. We had an odd occurence in which on of our drafters went AWOL mid-draft, and went on auto-pick. He's my ex-boss, is generally solid, and in my division.So I knew the auto-drafter was going to try and take best available player, but I was live at the draft, but without a PC. I stepped up and took Losman as the last QB I felt was in a particular tier, and his team didn't take a QB at that wraparound - he had 1st position, so LT is on his team.At that point people started grabbing QB on the next 2 rounds, and his team punted the QB spot until 16.12 - last pick in the draft, he got Jason Campbell. He's made a deal since then, but Pennington/Campbell doesn't scare me at all.
I've seen autodraft do some incredibly crazy things. I just took place in an ESPN autodraft league where one player didn't wind up grabbing a QB until 25 were already off the board (wound up with Jason Campbell, which is pretty good for the 26th QB off the board), while another player grabbed 4 QBs in the first 5 rounds (including Byron Leftwich :rolleyes: ). Another autodraft player took Palmer and Brees in the 2nd and 3rd. I have to admit, towards the end of the draft, I did deliberately take a QB for the express purpose of denying him to the autodrafter who hadn't taken a QB yet.

We will see if it is any good - in one leauge I drafted his suggested qbbc (even in the same rounds!) (12 team, ppr, redraft)

I had a few guys try to do this to me in my 14 team draft Sunday night. And honestly it just doesn't seem like a good strategy. I still had my choice of Eli Manning or Alex Smith as my #1 and have both Campbell and Harrington backing Smith up. I'm actually pretty comfortable with that.

In the meantime, I have Cotchery and Holmes on my bench and have Foster and Fred Taylor as guys that I can slot into my flex spot along with those WRs. The guys that went with 2 QBs early are looking at starting trash like Stallworth, Mason, Glenn, and Meachem at their Flex spot. In fact, the one guy saw so much "value" in his 2nd QB that he didn't even notice that both of his QBs have the same bye week! Yup, I sure got screwed on that one! :loco: :loco:

This happened in my home league. There is one nimrod in the league named Bart that always uses the "opposite" strategy; in other words he loads up on top tier WRs and drafts Value RBs in the middle rounds. This guy is also a total wild card. You never know who he is going to draft where. He makes the most illogical choices sometimes; usually straight off a FF magazine. At # 4 overall last year he picked Marvin Harrison.

This year he drafted first in the first round and I drafted second. I leaped for joy because I just knew that he was going to let pure gold fall to me every other round. In the first round he grabbed LT2 as expected. At the end of the second he grabbed Steve Smith, and at 3.01 he grabbed Chad Johnson. I didn't mind...I went along with my strategy. I have years of draft data on all the owners in the league, and I did separate mocks with different owners as usual to refine my strategy. I projected either Bulger or McNabb to be available at the end of round 4 and at the beginning of round 5.

In this home league you can either start 3RBs and 2 WRs or 2RBs and 3WRs. Having a top pick in the 3rd I naturally targeted a RB in the first 3 rounds. This started a RB run (and a panicked one at that). I had projected that the RB run in the third would let great talent fall to me in the 4th and 5th. I was correct.

Also QBs get 6 pts/TD and 1 pt/20 yards passing. As you can see QBs are at a premium. I correctly projected all the top QBs to be gone and they were. So when the pick got back to me at the end of the 4th I knew that I had a pick, Bart had two picks and then I had my fifth rounder. I had planned to take the best Available WR. I believed Bart would grab a QB and a WR to fill out his WR starting lineup. I could live with either Bulger or McNabb, but I wanted that top WR on my team. I tried to box him in. I took Javon Walker knowing Bart would take a QB and the next best WR. He didn’t. He took both Bulger and McNabb with his back to back picks. Now at first this seems like a good strategy on Bart’s part but when questioned he said he liked both players and just wanted them on his team.

Oh I was pissed. However I tried to remain flexible and still managed to get Kitna, and Romo as QBs. Still…I hate it when a plan doesn’t come together.

This happened in my home league. There is one nimrod in the league named Bart that always uses the "opposite" strategy; in other words he loads up on top tier WRs and drafts Value RBs in the middle rounds. This guy is also a total wild card. You never know who he is going to draft where. He makes the most illogical choices sometimes; usually straight off a FF magazine. At # 4 overall last year he picked Marvin Harrison.This year he drafted first in the first round and I drafted second. I leaped for joy because I just knew that he was going to let pure gold fall to me every other round. In the first round he grabbed LT2 as expected. At the end of the second he grabbed Steve Smith, and at 3.01 he grabbed Chad Johnson. I didn't mind...I went along with my strategy. I have years of draft data on all the owners in the league, and I did separate mocks with different owners as usual to refine my strategy. I projected either Bulger or McNabb to be available at the end of round 4 and at the beginning of round 5. In this home league you can either start 3RBs and 2 WRs or 2RBs and 3WRs. Having a top pick in the 3rd I naturally targeted a RB in the first 3 rounds. This started a RB run (and a panicked one at that). I had projected that the RB run in the third would let great talent fall to me in the 4th and 5th. I was correct. Also QBs get 6 pts/TD and 1 pt/20 yards passing. As you can see QBs are at a premium. I correctly projected all the top QBs to be gone and they were. So when the pick got back to me at the end of the 4th I knew that I had a pick, Bart had two picks and then I had my fifth rounder. I had planned to take the best Available WR. I believed Bart would grab a QB and a WR to fill out his WR starting lineup. I could live with either Bulger or McNabb, but I wanted that top WR on my team. I tried to box him in. I took Javon Walker knowing Bart would take a QB and the next best WR. He didn’t. He took both Bulger and McNabb with his back to back picks. Now at first this seems like a good strategy on Bart’s part but when questioned he said he liked both players and just wanted them on his team. Oh I was pissed. However I tried to remain flexible and still managed to get Kitna, and Romo as QBs. Still…I hate it when a plan doesn’t come together.
Bart's a shark. You're a guppie.

In my 14 team league, QBs go earlier than you would normally expect. By round 6, almost everyone has their starter. I've countered this by grabbing a QB somewhere in rounds 5-7 (depending on value elsewhere), then getting my backup by round 9 (I try to get QBs with upside potential). I've ended up with two of the top 14 on my list every time I've done this. It's not a perfect strategy, but it gives me the WRs and RBs available in rounds 4-6 that others pass up to get a QB, and still allows me to get a pair of good QBs with upside while everyone else scrambles for the WR and RB scraps.

Ramblin Wreck said:
Tubalcane said:
This happened in my home league. There is one nimrod in the league named Bart that always uses the "opposite" strategy; in other words he loads up on top tier WRs and drafts Value RBs in the middle rounds. This guy is also a total wild card. You never know who he is going to draft where. He makes the most illogical choices sometimes; usually straight off a FF magazine. At # 4 overall last year he picked Marvin Harrison.This year he drafted first in the first round and I drafted second. I leaped for joy because I just knew that he was going to let pure gold fall to me every other round. In the first round he grabbed LT2 as expected. At the end of the second he grabbed Steve Smith, and at 3.01 he grabbed Chad Johnson. I didn't mind...I went along with my strategy. I have years of draft data on all the owners in the league, and I did separate mocks with different owners as usual to refine my strategy. I projected either Bulger or McNabb to be available at the end of round 4 and at the beginning of round 5. In this home league you can either start 3RBs and 2 WRs or 2RBs and 3WRs. Having a top pick in the 3rd I naturally targeted a RB in the first 3 rounds. This started a RB run (and a panicked one at that). I had projected that the RB run in the third would let great talent fall to me in the 4th and 5th. I was correct. Also QBs get 6 pts/TD and 1 pt/20 yards passing. As you can see QBs are at a premium. I correctly projected all the top QBs to be gone and they were. So when the pick got back to me at the end of the 4th I knew that I had a pick, Bart had two picks and then I had my fifth rounder. I had planned to take the best Available WR. I believed Bart would grab a QB and a WR to fill out his WR starting lineup. I could live with either Bulger or McNabb, but I wanted that top WR on my team. I tried to box him in. I took Javon Walker knowing Bart would take a QB and the next best WR. He didn’t. He took both Bulger and McNabb with his back to back picks. Now at first this seems like a good strategy on Bart’s part but when questioned he said he liked both players and just wanted them on his team. Oh I was pissed. However I tried to remain flexible and still managed to get Kitna, and Romo as QBs. Still…I hate it when a plan doesn’t come together.
:bye:

Ramblin Wreck said:
Tubalcane said:
It sure would seem so after this one draft. However Bart has Deangelo Williams as his second RB, Lendale White as his 3rd, and Michael Turner as his 4th. He also has the incredible ability of leaving the people who score the most points on his bench each and every week. He has made the playoffs just once in the leagues 10 years. Personally I hope Bart ends up being the Shark this years because he's a really nice guy. Some of us in the league quietly root for him every year.

A guy in our 10 team league took McNabb in round 5 and Romo in round 6. He sure out-smarted the rest of us. His RB's are LJ, MB III, Buckhalter and T. Bell. :goodposting:

This actually happened to me this year. In our live draft the guy picking before me said "I'm taking Eli Manning just to f%*K Todd"...

I know Eli Manning isn't the greatest, but now I'm stuck with Losman, Campbell, and Garcia... not bad for a QBBC standpoint, but I think Eli is going to breakout this year...

My team...

Losman

Campbell

Garcia

SJax

Alexander - 2 1st Round Picks

Portis

Washington

Leonard

A. Johnson

S. Holmes

B. Edwards