What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (2 Viewers)

I just really think he doesn’t have any other options than Atlanta. They seem to really want him so I fully expect that’s where he will go.

Wonder what god will tell Kirk Cousins to do when he has to decide between Minnesota and Atlanta?

I just really think he doesn’t have any other options than Atlanta. They seem to really want him so I fully expect that’s where he will go.

Wonder what god will tell Kirk Cousins to do when he has to decide between Minnesota and Atlanta?
Lol, this is where I was leaning tbh. If Atl gets BB, I think Bill would want Cousins over the other options. Seems like a better fit to his style than Fields.

We're getting out over our skis here, but I do think that Cousins would be a very good fit for Bill's offense if he does get the Falcons job (and assuming he wants him). Experienced, calm, and can effectively and efficiently run and offense like perhaps no other free agent/rookie option out there. Health is obviously going to be a factor though.

We're getting out over our skis here, but I do think that Cousins would be a very good fit for Bill's offense if he does get the Falcons job (and assuming he wants him). Experienced, calm, and can effectively and efficiently run and offense like perhaps no other free agent/rookie option out there. Health is obviously going to be a factor though.

Would be perfect...his age won't matter to BB either because I don't see this being a long time gig...here is one thing that would be interesting about a BB/Cousins duo...how much would BB be willing to pay him...he wouldn't give Brady the Brees 2 for 50 deal...gotta believe Cousins would go for a good amount more than that...how high would he go?

Would be perfect...his age won't matter to BB either because I don't see this being a long time gig...here is one thing that would be interesting about a BB/Cousins duo...how much would BB be willing to pay him...he wouldn't give Brady the Brees 2 for 50 deal...gotta believe Cousins would go for a good amount more than that...how high would he go?
I think Russell Wilson is his guy. Expected to be cut by the Broncos and designated as post June 1. They have to dump him before mid-March or his 2025 is fully guaranteed. Wilson has Super Bowl experience and is still a good scrambler. Most importantly I wouldn’t be surprised if he’ll come cheaper than Cousins. But if not then Cousins I can see BB going after for sure.

After watching the QB series, Cousins doesn’t strike me as the materialistic type. He’s already made $230+ million. I could see him going somewhere that he feels gives him a chance to win a ring. Whether BB and ATL fits that description is a different animal. Cousins also is coming off a major injury. I could see him doing a 2 year deal for a total of $50-60 million.

As an aside, whether or not Cousins plays for BB somewhere, he seems like a genuinely good dude and very easy to root for.

I think Russell Wilson is his guy. Expected to be cut by the Broncos and designated as post June 1. They have to dump him before mid-March or his 2025 is fully guaranteed. Wilson has Super Bowl experience and is still a good scrambler. Most importantly I wouldn’t be surprised if he’ll come cheaper than Cousins. But if not then Cousins I can see BB going after for sure.

Another veteran who would probably make sense.

As an aside, whether or not Cousins plays for BB somewhere, he seems like a genuinely good dude and very easy to root for.

Yup...amazing that he is 6th in career earnings after being drafted as an afterthought after RG3.

I’m not sure Wilson would be the type of player that would gel with BB. Bill likes well prepared for, planned, and predictable outcomes. Wilson has played more of a schoolyard style at QB, often trying to make plays up in real time with receivers running fire drill routes to try to get open. That doesn’t sound like something Bill would be in favor of. He hasn’t been a fan when players go off script.

I’m not sure Wilson would be the type of player that would gel with BB. Bill likes well prepared for, planned, and predictable outcomes. Wilson has played more of a schoolyard style at QB, often trying to make plays up in real time with receivers running fire drill routes to try to get open. That doesn’t sound like something Bill would be in favor of. He hasn’t been a fan when players go off script.
Had almost the exact same thought imagining Russ playing for BB

After watching the QB series, Cousins doesn’t strike me as the materialistic type. He’s already made $230+ million. I could see him going somewhere that he feels gives him a chance to win a ring. Whether BB and ATL fits that description is a different animal. Cousins also is coming off a major injury. I could see him doing a 2 year deal for a total of $50-60 million.

Cousins' wife is from Atlanta, they were married there, and her parents still live there. If he leaves Minnesota, that seems like an easy decision for him, and I think Belichick getting the head coach position would only make it more likely.

Maybe in the past, but unless he's blowing smoke, seems like he just wants to continue/finish his career somewhere as a starting QB.
This seems like a logical place for him to be, at this age, and coming off an Achilles.

Speaking of that, I get the Cousins/Belichick pairing, but I dunno if MIN is going to walk away, or if anyone is going to want to give him money until they know his Achilles is in a good spot. 36 in August, and blew out his Achilles end of October. That is not a great combo.

Maybe in the past, but unless he's blowing smoke, seems like he just wants to continue/finish his career somewhere as a starting QB.
This seems like a logical place for him to be, at this age, and coming off an Achilles.

Speaking of that, I get the Cousins/Belichick pairing, but I dunno if MIN is going to walk away, or if anyone is going to want to give him money until they know his Achilles is in a good spot. 36 in August, and blew out his Achilles end of October. That is not a great combo.
Fair point - if he gets the job, Belichick is undoubtedly going to want to solidify his QB situation much sooner than later. And only 5 months out in March, that’s not a lot of recovery time.

I would think Minny would like him back for a couple of more years...they are not in tear-down mode so I gotta believe they want to remain competitive...I think a great plan would be to re-up Cousins then draft a Nix-Penix-JJM and let them develop behind Cousins while O'Connell works with him and you may have a situation similar to what Green Bay just pulled off.

Fair point - if he gets the job, Belichick is undoubtedly going to want to solidify his QB situation much sooner than later. And only 5 months out in March, that’s not a lot of recovery time.

He likes Jimmy G and he will be available...

He likes Jimmy G and he will be out there...
Does he still like him though after all these years after seeing him in action?

He likes Jimmy G and he will be out there...
Does he still like him though after all these years after seeing him in action?

He liked a washed-up Cam Newton so I think anything is possible...I really think he wants to show he can win without the QB being the focal point of the team...I don't see him wanting to bring in a rookie so I would think Jimmy G would be an option along with a few others...I would love to see it as it brings things full-circle with him.

Bill liked Jimmy G 10 years ago. He’s played 15 games in a season twice. Who knows if BB still looks at him the same way as he once did.

One thing I admired about Belichick was that he focused on what guys could do, rather than what they couldn't do. He had a lot of guys that played on his offense, and especially defense, who weren't great athletes, but could do something really well, and he would focus on that. (Now, maybe he got a bit over his skis with these kind of players the last decade or so, and while the rest of the NFL is going fast break basketball, he's got like, nine Kurt Rambis on his team, the point still stands). Belichick was the guy "don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he CAN do", right?

It's why I think if Fields was available for a reasonable price, I would not be surprised if BB was OK with it. They can exercise the 5th year option (25 mill-ish. That's no problem!)

Watching what Greg Roman did in BAL with early Lamar, that worked. Same kind of idea.

One thing I admired about Belichick was that he focused on what guys could do, rather than what they couldn't do. He had a lot of guys that played on his offense, and especially defense, who weren't great athletes, but could do something really well, and he would focus on that. (Now, maybe he got a bit over his skis with these kind of players the last decade or so, and while the rest of the NFL is going fast break basketball, he's got like, nine Kurt Rambis on his team, the point still stands). Belichick was the guy "don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he CAN do", right?

It's why I think if Fields was available for a reasonable price, I would not be surprised if BB was OK with it. They can exercise the 5th year option (25 mill-ish. That's no problem!)

Watching what Greg Roman did in BAL with early Lamar, that worked. Same kind of idea.

Here is another thing to consider...who will be his OC be...there are a lot of rumors it will be McDaniels (which I hope because there are rumors of him coming back to the Pats which I don't want...time to move on)...if that is the case I could see Fields being a possibility as he could trust him to work with Fields...if it is not McDaniels and we now know it won't be BOB I don't know who he would bring in but since he trusted Patricia anything would be on the table.

Bro, Cousins will not leave one damn nickle on the table. It is very, very important to him as he has shown at every possible negotiable moment throughout his career.

He will go to whomever offers the most and coincidentally god will have told him that was the spot for him prior. Then he’ll walk out of his front door, add another rock to his 100 year life expectancy jar (this is a real thing), assess his mortality while giving thanks, call his realtor and list his home for 50% over market and hope he finds a sucker who wants to live in Kirk Cousins house like Costanza and Jon Voight’s 88 LeBaron.

Last edited:
Actually, come to think if it, the easiest move to make for BB in ATL is Russell Wilson.

With those contract offsets, he'll be on their books for 2 mill next year. Getting Russell Wilson for a single year 2 mill cap number is exactly the kind of random, single season loophole that really made BB the best.

I felt that way even as a Commanders fan as he was clearly leaving Washington...As much as I hated to see him go, I was also keenly aware that the only reason he was leaving was Washington severely botched his situation, and I actually was happy he got out. He was class through that whole thing.

Actually, come to think if it, the easiest move to make for BB in ATL is Russell Wilson.

With those contract offsets, he'll be on their books for 2 mill next year. Getting Russell Wilson for a single year 2 mill cap number is exactly the kind of random, single season loophole that really made BB the best.

With a 2 mil QB think of all the $ he will have for special teams.

I felt that way even as a Commanders fan as he was clearly leaving Washington...As much as I hated to see him go, I was also keenly aware that the only reason he was leaving was Washington severely botched his situation, and I actually was happy he got out. He was class through that whole thing.

I’m a Washington fan too and probably have given the impression I don’t like Cousins, which is false. Think he’s a good QB and a good dude, but this persona he has cultivated neglects to address that at his core, he is all about the $$$ when it comes to his career. And that’s totally fine, I fully support it. Just calling out that aspect in addition to highlighting some of his weird, quirky habits. You can’t paint an accurate portrayal of the man without mentioning it. And while I fully admit he’s a good QB and have always been a bit of an advocate, I also must say he’s not ever going to a Super Bowl because he turtles in the big moments.

If Belichick goes to Atlanta and wants to get the wins record and be relevant, Kirk will certainly do that for him and repair his image from the post Brady era. And it’s probably the best QB their situation will allow for them to get, so they should go for it…but he’s not going to get BB on even ground with Brady in the divorce.

I also must say he’s not ever going to a Super Bowl because he turtles in the big moments.
I know Cousins gets a bad rep for not producing in big games, but here's what he's done in the post season:

2012: Entered the game with 5 minutes left after RGIII went down after barely playing the whole season, already down 10 points, and was forced to pass repeatedly. Not a great performance, but he was up against the #1 defense in SEA.

2015: WAS got ahead 11-0 against GB after a quarter and ended up losing 35-18. Cousins went for 329-1-0 and added a rushing TD and had a 91.7 passer rating. He got pressured all game (6 sacks, 3 fumbles, 1 lost fumble . . . most of the sacks in the 4th quarter). Not really sure Cousins was responsible for giving up 35 points.

2019: Beat NOS on the road with a 242-1-0 line and a 96.4 passer rating. Lost at SFO with MIN only getting 21 yards on the ground compared to 186 for the Niners. Again, not sure Cousins was the one that caused the defense to give up 27 points. Passing line of 172-1-1 with a 84.3 passer rating.

2022: Came back from a 10-point deficit in the second half, only for the Giants to score the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter. He nearly completed 80% of his passes for 273 yards with 2 TD and 0 picks (and a 112.9 passer rating) without being sacked. Once again, the defense allowed 31 points . . . is that on Cousins?

Kirk officially is 1-3 as a starter in the playoffs, and he really only had one poor start. He's no Tom Brady, but Cousins' post season passer rating is 93.7 (Brady's was 89.8). Cousins' teams in the post season when his team allowed 24 or more points: 0-4, games when they allowed 23 or fewer: 1-0. Of Brady's 13 post-season losses, 9 of them came in games where the defense allowed 24 or more points.

I'm not sure Cousins has played as poorly in the playoffs as some people think.

Last edited:
I also must say he’s not ever going to a Super Bowl because he turtles in the big moments.
I know Cousins gets a bad rap for not producing in big games, but here's what he's done in the post season:

2012: Entered the game with 5 minutes left after RGIII went down after barely playing the whole season, already down 10 points, and was forced to pass repeatedly. Not a great performance, but he was up against the #1 defense in SEA.

2015: WAS got ahead 11-0 against GB after a quarter and ended up losing 35-18. Cousins went for 329-1-0 and added a rushing TD and had a 91.7 passer rating. He got pressured all game (6 sacks, 3 fumbles, 1 lost fumble . . . most of the sacks in the 4th quarter). Not really sure Cousins was responsible for giving up 35 points.

2019: Beat NOS on the road with a 242-1-0 line and a 96.4 passer rating. Lost at SFO with MIN only getting 21 yards on the ground compared to 186 for the Niners. Again, not sure Cousins was the one that caused the defense to give up 27 points. Passing line of 172-1-1 with a 84.3 passer rating.

2022: Came back from a 10-point deficit in the second half, only for the Giants to score the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter. He nearly completed 80% of his passes for 273 yards with 2 TD and 0 picks (and a 112.9 passer rating) without being sacked. Once again, the defense allowed 31 points . . . is that on Cousins?

Kirk officially is 1-3 as a starter in the playoffs, and he really only had one poor start. He's no Tom Brady, but Cousins' post season passer rating is 93.7 (Brady's was 89.8). Cousins' teams in the post season when his team allowed 24 or more points: 0-4, games when they allowed 23 or fewer: 1-0. Of Brady's 13 post-season losses, 9 of them came in games where the defense allowed 24 or more points.

I agree that Cousins' reputation of performing poorly in big games is overblown, but the rep is not limited to playoff games. For a long time it was characterized as "prime time" games or "big games" which would include important regular season and/or primetime games in addition to playoff games.

I know Cousins gets a bad rep for not producing in big games, but here's what he's done in the post season:

I was at the first two. The first one is irrelevant and the second one he left a ton of points on the field. The 11-0 quick start should have been much larger margin and he didn’t do much else the rest of the day.

He’s done nothing noteworthy in Minny.

It’s not just playoffs. Check his prime time record.

And of course there was a win and in against the crappy Giants in 2016 in the final game of the year where he played garbage and threw a puck to end the hopes.

He’s not him. There’s probably never been a bigger not him than Cousins. But he can light up those 1pm regular season games and when he has his best stuff, he goes supernova. He’s a really good QB, just not in the clutch.

I know Cousins gets a bad rap for not producing in big games, but here's what he's done in the post season:

I agree that Cousins' reputation of performing poorly in big games is overblown, but the rep is not limited to playoff games. For a long time it was characterized as "prime time" games or "big games" which would include important regular season and/or primetime games in addition to playoff games.

I’ll admit he got a notch better at them in Minnesota, but he still hasn’t lead them to anything meaningful. And there’s an occasional prime time moment where he’s been fantastic. The Snf beat down of the Packers that gave us this stupidly awkward dancing Snyder comes to mind: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVmX_ajnTmM&pp=ygUSZGFuIHNueWRlciBkYW5jaW5n

More often than not though, he turtles.

But he can light up those 1pm regular season games and when he has his best stuff, he goes supernova. He’s a really good QB, just not in the clutch.
Not calling you out, but I looked up the numbers. Maybe the numbers are misleading.

Game splits for Cousins . . .

Day games (119 games):
268 yards, 67.5% completion, 1.86 TD, 0.66 INT, 7.7 YPA, 100.1 rating

Night games (23 games):
270 yards, 66.9% completion, 1.78 TD, 0.91 INT, 7.6 YPA, 95.5 rating

Playoff Starts (4 games):
250 yards, 69.0% completion, 1.25 TD, 0.25 INT, 7.0 YPA, 97.4 rating

Not much difference between those. I haven't seen a ton of games with Cousins, but he played well the few nighttime and playoff games I have seen him in. In games that meet the criteria as "close games" (which I believe translates to a one possession game in the second half), Cousins has a passer rating of 103.7 (in 59 games).

Maybe people have tended to ignore his good games to focus on his bad games. Maybe it's his team's record in some of those games (meaning he could have played well but the team still lost).

I was at the first two. The first one is irrelevant and the second one he left a ton of points on the field. The 11-0 quick start should have been much larger margin and he didn’t do much else the rest of the day.

He’s done nothing noteworthy in Minny.

It’s not just playoffs. Check his prime time record.

And of course there was a win and in against the crappy Giants in 2016 in the final game of the year where he played garbage and threw a puck to end the hopes.

He’s not him. There’s probably never been a bigger not him than Cousins. But he can light up those 1pm regular season games and when he has his best stuff, he goes supernova. He’s a really good QB, just not in the clutch.

I haven’t watched him much at all in MINN, but did watch his time in WAS and definitely agree. Cousins was always a stat complier and garbage time guy. The textbook its 3rd and 8, I’ll throw the easy 5 yard completion underneath QB early in the game. He often blew up at the end of games when it was out of hand and the defense was playing soft coverage. This is just one article from 2021 but it looks like at least anecdotally he still carries that reputation with his time in MINN: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-and-the-kings-of-garbage-time/

At this point, we have already sullied the BB thread with Cousins talk . . . so let's keep going.

Passer rating by quarter:

1: 106.1
2: 95.5
3: 96.1
4: 96.9
OT: 90.0

Leading: 97.2
Tied: 110.1
Losing: 94.1

Ahead 4:00 to play: 101.5
Tied 4:00 to play: 103.9
Behind 4:00 to play: 84.8

The biggest issue has been playing on MNF. Only a 3-10 record with an 87.3 passer rating. Has gone 12-19 overall in late/night games with a 96.5 passer rating.

But he can light up those 1pm regular season games and when he has his best stuff, he goes supernova. He’s a really good QB, just not in the clutch.
Not calling you out, but I looked up the numbers. Maybe the numbers are misleading.

Game splits for Cousins . . .

Day games (119 games):
268 yards, 67.5% completion, 1.86 TD, 0.66 INT, 7.7 YPA, 100.1 rating

Night games (23 games):
270 yards, 66.9% completion, 1.78 TD, 0.91 INT, 7.6 YPA, 95.5 rating

Playoff Starts (4 games):
250 yards, 69.0% completion, 1.25 TD, 0.25 INT, 7.0 YPA, 97.4 rating

Not much difference between those. I haven't seen a ton of games with Cousins, but he played well the few nighttime and playoff games I have seen him in. In games that meet the criteria as "close games" (which I believe translates to a one possession game in the second half), Cousins has a passer rating of 103.7 (in 59 games).

Maybe people have tended to ignore his good games to focus on his bad games. Maybe it's his team's record in some of those games (meaning he could have played well but the team still lost).

@Buckna beat me to it but Dak threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs Sunday. If we’re boxscore surfing 10 years from now, folks might say he had a decent game, but we all know differently. All good. We all have our views. I try not to overstate things especially when I’m not sure about them, but I’m acutely familiar with Kirk as a Wash fan and we still hear about him on the radio just about each week. He’s a stat compiler to some degree in a lot of those games.

Last edited:
ATL is a good fit, but he’d need a QB.

The 2 TE sets will be elite with Pitts/Jonnu. Bijan gonna be a legit superstar.

Jonnu was far from elite with BB and McD in New England...he was actually far from average.
He sure looked good this year in ATL.

I don't think Jonnu is the Gronk alpha type. But as the 3rd or 4th receiving option he can do an awful ot of damage. He had some games where he performed much better then Pitts this year, bordering on elite #s.

ATL is a good fit, but he’d need a QB.

The 2 TE sets will be elite with Pitts/Jonnu. Bijan gonna be a legit superstar.

Jonnu was far from elite with BB and McD in New England...he was actually far from average.
He sure looked good this year in ATL.

I don't think Jonnu is the Gronk alpha type. But as the 3rd or 4th receiving option he can do an awful ot of damage. He had some games where he performed much better then Pitts this year, bordering on elite #s.

I agree...he looked much better...but for whatever reason he was a disaster in the BB/McDaniel system and really looked lost.

Users who are viewing this thread