What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Healthy" Fried Chicken (1 Viewer)

satch

Footballguy
Since many of us here are focusing on fitness heading toward Spring/Summer, I thought I'd share this healthier fried chicken alternative I've been enjoying recently. It's crispy, juicy, full of flavor, loaded with protein, and pretty tough to screw up. Keep in mind, when I say "healthy", I mean relatively speaking. A plain grilled chicken breast  would be healthier, but not be nearly as tasty or satisfying. It also wouldn't be anything like fried chicken, which this is.

Ingredients:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs 

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (amount based on desired healthiness)

Panko Bread Crumbs (amount based on desired healthiness)

Salt 

Pepper

Paprika

Garlic Powder

(For spicier version add Cajun Seasoning)

Method:

Preheat oven to 425. 

In a bowl, mix chicken thighs, olive oil, panko, and seasonings. I didn't specify amounts of seasonings because that's a personal preference. Just use enough to provide generous flavor without going overboard. With the olive oil and panko, I suggest using just enough of each to coat the chicken evenly without going overboard with either. Remember, this is supposed to be "healthy". Too much oil can add lots of unnecessary calories real fast. Also, we're not "breading" the chicken or going for a thick layer of crust, just looking to get a little crunch with each bite. This only requires a few flakes of panko per bite. Make sure you work the seasonings/panko into the crevices/folds of the chicken. 

Once the chicken is evenly coated with seasonings/panko, spray a cooking rack with Pam olive oil, and lay the rack on a cookie sheet. Lay the chicken on the cooking rack, smooth side of the chicken face down. Sprinkle additional panko on the chicken as needed to hit any bare spots, and press onto chicken. Gently turn chicken over and repeat. 

Cooking time varies depending on thickness of chicken and desired crispiness, but I've found that a total of about 25-30 minutes works well. Put chicken in the oven, middle rack. After about 15 minutes, turn chicken over and continue cooking until it looks crispy and delicious, like fried chicken. Enjoy.

Pretty similar to the panko breaded chicken tenders my wife makes. She uses chicken breasts and we will make a buffalo/blue cheese sauce for dipping with real blue cheese, some blue cheese dressing and Frank's buffalo sauce. Goes over pretty well with the kids. My youngest and I like buffalo chicken tacos at a local restaurant, so we throw warm up tortillas and make tacos as well. Like you said, not 100% healthy, but way more healthy (and cheaper) than stuff from restaurants.

I do it very similar with boneless chicken breasts - pounded flat, trimmed, cut into strips and brined for an hour or two, lightly breaded using egg and panko - then pan fried in coconut oil. The kids love it, and its much better than fast food deep-fried chicken tenders. I make large batches, then deep freeze in smaller portions.

How many oil calories is a skinless piece of chicken really going to absorb if you fry it? How many more than if you rub it in oil and bake it? Not many?

And how is pan frying any better than deep frying? The chicken is actually in the oil for longer, deep frying 1 side at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many oil calories is a skinless piece of chicken really going to absorb if you fry it? How many more than if you rub it in oil and bake it? Not many?

And how is pan frying any better than deep frying? The chicken is actually in the oil for longer.
pan frying? I missed that.

0004300001057-500x500.jpg

Also, this isn't frying.  Frying is designed to "shock" an outer layer, coat and cook the inside with heat (not the oil touching it).

Sounds great, will try.

Can you come up with a "healthy" batch of chocolate brownies and ice cream to go with it?  Thanks

It's just baked breaded chicken. I make a similar, but dip the chicken in egg and add a lot of Parmesan in the Panko mix. 

And how is pan frying any better than deep frying? The chicken is actually in the oil for longer, deep frying 1 side at a time.
Lets not split hairs. It sounds tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread