What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Henry Melton - Bears (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
After his 2 sack week one performance I figured a thread may be in order for those who dont know. He also recorded 6 total pressures on Mat Ryan week 1.

He is playing the UT (under tackle / 1 gap) on base downs.

But is sliding to Defense End on passing downs (opposite Peppers) because the coaches "want his pass rushing ability utilized" in those situations.

Last year Peppers could be seen moving around from either left end or right end, so Melton could seemingly be playing both as well.

Would love to hear some more from Bears homers or anyone breaking down the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not a Bears fan but living in IL i'm force fed it daily. Lovie and all the D coaches were extremely high on Melton last year they just want him to add some weight and get some seasoning before unleashing him. well, i think anyone that watched can attest the dude was a flatout beast sunday. he was all over Matt Ryan all game. the amount of QB pressure's he accumulated was just ridiculous. he is a rare athlete and exactly what the bears had been missing since Tommie Harris's injuries sapped all his quickness.

I just picked up Melton as a DT and our scoring gives DT's 2pt/tackle vs 1pt for DE and 10pts/sack vs 8pts for DE. I was wondering if Melton was worth a start against the Saints instead of DE, Clemons (vs Pit), Michael Johnson (vs Den) or A. Carter (vs SD).

Any thoughts?

It appears FBG doesn't like him for the rest of the season. He's their #49 ranked DE going forward in the customized top 200 list, below the likes of Karl Klug and injured Aaron Kampman.

I thought he'd be a good pickup but they disagree for whatever reason.

It appears FBG doesn't like him for the rest of the season. He's their #49 ranked DE going forward in the customized top 200 list, below the likes of Karl Klug and injured Aaron Kampman.I thought he'd be a good pickup but they disagree for whatever reason.
i'm betting they forgot to adjust him or adjust him accordingly b/c i know i read a tweet from one of the staffers(i think Jene) about adjusting their rankings on melton after how dominant he looked on sunday.

I've been keeping my eye on Hank when I learned he was getting slugged in at the UT spot. Then he had that big week last week and I was gonna be all over him....and just barely missed out on him this week in blind bidding, of course to the one guy in that league who is a Bears' homer.

I'm not bitter. *grumble* (and, yeah, I know that nobody cares. I'm still going to b@#$^ a little)

I've been keeping my eye on Hank when I learned he was getting slugged in at the UT spot. Then he had that big week last week and I was gonna be all over him....and just barely missed out on him this week in blind bidding, of course to the one guy in that league who is a Bears' homer.I'm not bitter. *grumble* (and, yeah, I know that nobody cares. I'm still going to b@#$^ a little)
Be happy you didn't get him. A big fat ZERO in the boxscore today. LOL.

Same thing for Julius Peppers... 1 tackle. And that was in the 2nd half on short pass to the RB.

The Saints did a fantastic job scheming the Bears all day.

The Bears didnt have a single tackle by a d-linemen in the first quarter. And only 3-1 by halftime from the entire front line.

I've been keeping my eye on Hank when I learned he was getting slugged in at the UT spot. Then he had that big week last week and I was gonna be all over him....and just barely missed out on him this week in blind bidding, of course to the one guy in that league who is a Bears' homer.I'm not bitter. *grumble* (and, yeah, I know that nobody cares. I'm still going to b@#$^ a little)
I had a big fat zero as well. Back to the pile you go

You dont understand the all-or-nothing volatility of linemen being the "norm"? Like I said, Julius Peppers had 1 tackle.

You dont understand the all-or-nothing volatility of linemen being the "norm"? Like I said, Julius Peppers had 1 tackle.
I just picked him up right before the game, do you think he's still worth holding on to in a dynasty format or should I let him go in search of the next big thing?

Yes I do understand that. He's still going back into the pile for another option that has at least averaged to score points each week over the past two weeks. Maybe I'll be wrong down the road and pay for it but I'm not going to risk another donut week praying this guy rebounds.

I've been keeping my eye on Hank when I learned he was getting slugged in at the UT spot. Then he had that big week last week and I was gonna be all over him....and just barely missed out on him this week in blind bidding, of course to the one guy in that league who is a Bears' homer.

I'm not bitter. *grumble* (and, yeah, I know that nobody cares. I'm still going to b@#$^ a little)
Yes I do understand that. He's still going back into the pile for another option that has at least averaged to score points each week over the past two weeks. Maybe I'll be wrong down the road and pay for it but I'm not going to risk another donut week praying this guy rebounds.
The just played the Saints (who in 2010 was the 4th worst team for your d-linemen to go against, sacks/attempt-wise)This week they play the Packers who were the 3rd best team in 2010 to have your d-line go against.

*Though Im sure the Colts wont be worst option as they were last year, and may mess up the stat reading. ;)

**And Rodgers is getting away from tons of would-be sacks currently in 2011. So maybe another option is best.

'BigSteelThrill said:
dynasty format
If he is qualifying for a DT specific position, I wouldn't let him out of my hands currently.
Unfortunately ESPN lists him as a DE but I'm hopeful he will qualify at DT next year if I hang on to him.
I think I would hold him for another week or two at least and make a point to specifically watch him in the games and then make a first hand judgment. And utilizing the feedback on Melton from the FBG staff members who are watching all the games would be a wise options as well.

'BigSteelThrill said:
dynasty format
If he is qualifying for a DT specific position, I wouldn't let him out of my hands currently.
Unfortunately ESPN lists him as a DE but I'm hopeful he will qualify at DT next year if I hang on to him.
I think I would hold him for another week or two at least and make a point to specifically watch him in the games and then make a first hand judgment. And utilizing the feedback on Melton from the FBG staff members who are watching all the games would be a wise options as well.
Thanks, I'll try and give him some more time. Unfortunately I can't watch his games unless they are nationally televised since I can't afford Sunday Ticket.

Melton was completely nullified by Saints RG Jahri Evans most of the game. He was double teamed a little and they moved him around at times, but he really got no penetration no matter where he lined up. Saints offensive line dominated in pass protection plus Brees doesn't ever hold onto the ball very long anyway.

I'm a big believer in Melton. His journey has been a bit odd because his positional usage from college to the pros have been somewhat unorthodox. The fact remains that he can play in the trenches, noticed it since his days at Texas. I just felt that there is something about him from the first time I saw him play. He's a going to give plenty of offensive linemen problems with his skillset. I did not see the week 2 game yet, but keep in mind that the Saints are pretty crafty when it comes to scheming with their interior olinemen and Jahri Evans is a pro bowler. He's a bit under the radar still, but those who have studied his game tend to speak very highly of him and for good reason.

Saw week 2, he was shut down. He was stonewalled and wasn't getting penetration at all, worst I've ever seen him play. Jahri Evans just handled him. Melton couldn't out quick him or overpower him, it seemed that Evans just had a perfect base against him from the snap and controlled him if he tried to disengage and slide off his block. I think it came down to Evans having too much strength and it was fully functional because his balance was so on point. Melton's game is a combination of quickness and power and it was negated because Evans was just so textbook with his blocking base balance and his size just engulfed Melton. Just a terrible matchup overall for Melton, might have helped a little if it was in Chicago... although I don't think the snap count was much of a factor given how one-sided the matchup was. I think there were some plays against RT Streif where he fared a little better, but overall Melton noticeably had a very rough day.

Week 3 Melton was back to his disruptive ways though.

I wasn't really watching Melton, but the carolina line manhandled the Bears front four. I've heard their line is good. Peppers was doubled and tripled team alot. Melton should have done something since Peppers was doubled which is disappointing... IMO, the defense is a mess until Chris Harris comes back. Wright and Merriweather are terrible...

I'd only start Melton if

1. Chris Harris is playing

2. The Bears opponent has horrid O line (see Steelers)

I wasn't really watching Melton, but the carolina line manhandled the Bears front four. I've heard their line is good. Peppers was doubled and tripled team alot. Melton should have done something since Peppers was doubled which is disappointing... IMO, the defense is a mess until Chris Harris comes back. Wright and Merriweather are terrible...I'd only start Melton if1. Chris Harris is playing2. The Bears opponent has horrid O line (see Steelers)
I personally cut Melton this week just can't wait around...I'll keep an eye on him and if things change I'll pick him up again...hopefully he gets better soon

Melton was in the backfield a lot but Newton is not an easy man to chase down and sack. He was scrambling out of trouble often. Melton has good quickness for a big man but he's not faster than Cam Newton.

Yes he's droppable unless you have a crystal ball to predict which game he isn't steamrolled in.

(KFFL) Chicago Bears DL Henry Melton is slated to start at right defensive end in Week 6 against the Minnesota Vikings with DL Julius Peppers (knee) listed as doubtful. Melton spent a majority of the past two days in practice at RDE. Melton has a team-leading three sacks this season.

:banned:

No sweat.I actually benched Melton at the last minute to put Peppers back in after he was declared starting.The thing is though, 2 weeks in a row Melton has looked very active (as much any Bears d linemen, if not more-so) and yet he doesn't get the stats.But you just cant have those goose eggs. Unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread