What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hoge: Niners have best offense (1 Viewer)

Deadzone21

Footballguy
ESPN NFL analyst Merril Hoge this morning on Sports Center makes this bold statement, "San Francisco has the best offense in football. Period.". He repeated that statement twice in that segment. Ron Jaworski didn't argue and just moved on.

I was a bit surprised, but I kind of agree. They run a very creative and dynamic and balanced offense who can run and pound the ball at will. Now, where can we sharks benefit from a fantasy perspective? Gore is the only stud I would start each week.

In PPR - Crabtree is going to have steady production. I don't think he'll see many touchdowns but he is a lock for your WR3.
Watching the game yesterday this is what I was thinking. He was getting a decent amount of looks and looked very effective. He could be in for an 80+ catch season. Alex Smith looked pretty good as well; he's not heaving it all over the place but he was right on target most of the time.

In what league is Vernon Davis not an every week start? 6 teamer?
If you own him, you almost have to start him. He is the most frustrating tight end to own though, since the 49ers seem to forget he exists for long stretches at a time.

I'd like to see how he defines a great offense. actually I don't care because he's an idiot.
He has three factors that he uses to evaluate an offense: how many yards they produce, how many points they score, and how many time the word "Francisco" appears in the team name. By this rigorous, comprehensive analysis, San Francisco is the best offense. They may lag in yards and TDs, but they dominate the league in number of "Francisco"s.

Silly.

NFL is a pass first league, is Alex Smith even close to earning the designation of "Best Game Manager" yet?

Hes in no danger of overtaking anyone in the top 10.

Not saying they cant make it to the playoffs or even the superbowl, just that theres no way they have a better offense than any other team when they get there.

I'd like to see how he defines a great offense. actually I don't care because he's an idiot.
He has three factors that he uses to evaluate an offense: how many yards they produce, how many points they score, and how many time the word "Francisco" appears in the team name. By this rigorous, comprehensive analysis, San Francisco is the best offense. They may lag in yards and TDs, but they dominate the league in number of "Francisco"s.
haha...now that makes perfect sense.It's really funny how a great defense can make an offense look good. If they didn't have probably the most dominant defense in the game their offense would probably be between 25th and last.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't about being the best offense (though I won't argue about the best defense), but I like their creative ways of attacking a defense especially with the run. However, they have no outside passing threat or they are just too conservative in their play calling. Even with frequent single coverage on Moss outside, they wouldn't risk the pass deep.

Awesome post

I don't about being the best offense (though I won't argue about the best defense), but I like their creative ways of attacking a defense especially with the run. However, they have no outside passing threat or they are just too conservative in their play calling. Even with frequent single coverage on Moss outside, they wouldn't risk the pass deep.
they are in the lead with a great defense, it's about possession and not turning the ball over. It's easy when you don't have to force things and your defense can give you possession after possession. Put them down by 2 scores and lets see how good they are.

Maybe by "offense" he just means the "type" of offense. The personnel is different, but this offense actually reminds me alot of the Mooch led teams of the early 2000s. Heavy running with tosses, sweeps and traps with Hearst/Barlow, throws to the FB, quick outs and slants to WRs. The talent isn't quite there, but the philosophy remains the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoge is a good case study for long term post concussion syndrome.
Hoge's Tim Tebow flip flop was the greatest thing ever. He timed it perfectly. Originally bashing The Tebow to no end and rightfully so, he eventually caved in. Once he started proclaiming The Tebow as great, The Tebow came crashing to earth. Hoge has a bad case of the mush melon.

:lmao:

Now on ESPN's NFL Live, Tim Haselbeck says "(San Francisco). Let's face it. That's the best defense in football 1/16th into the season."

Shall we start designing the Championship ring? Am I missing something here with all the niner love?

...They do look good though.

Now on ESPN's NFL Live, Tim Haselbeck says "(San Francisco). Let's face it. That's the best defense in football 1/16th into the season."Shall we start designing the Championship ring? Am I missing something here with all the niner love? ...They do look good though.
They beat one of the best teams in the NFL, on the road, to open the season. There was no way the accolades would be light.

'Banger said:
'SSOG said:
'Banger said:
haha...now that makes perfect sense.It's really funny how a great defense can make an offense look good. If they didn't have probably the most dominant defense in the game their offense would probably be between 25th and last.
That makes sense since usually the D creates short fields for the O to work with, but yesterday there was only 1 turnover. The rest were punts that pinned SF deep or resulted in a short return.I'm not saying that SF has the best offense like that dude said, but I don't think your statement really applies to SF in week 1. I definitely think SF this year will have a > 25th ranked offense (contrary to what you think). :football:

The best offense in the league will never use Alex Smith as their starting QB. Period.
The A. Smith bashing has gone last the point of realism. He simply isn't THAT bad. He's never going to be the primary reason his team wins but he's shown to be more than adequate the past year and a half. He looked very good in that game vs GB, who admittedly has huge problems on D, hitting his WRs and making the plays that we're there.Is SF the best offense in the NFL? No, far from it. Are they the worst? No, far from that as well. They are middle of the road, perhaps slightly better if the WR upgrades truly payed off.

"San Francisco has the best offense in football. Period."

"Can not Play with him, Can not win with him, Can not coach with him, Can’t Do It"

The best offense in the league will never use Alex Smith as their starting QB. Period.
The A. Smith bashing has gone last the point of realism. He simply isn't THAT bad. He's never going to be the primary reason his team wins but he's shown to be more than adequate the past year and a half. He looked very good in that game vs GB, who admittedly has huge problems on D, hitting his WRs and making the plays that we're there.Is SF the best offense in the NFL? No, far from it. Are they the worst? No, far from that as well. They are middle of the road, perhaps slightly better if the WR upgrades truly payed off.
All the 49ers need at QB right now is what Smith is currently providing, low risk yet high reward in the passing game. The best offense in the NFL? Maybe the most balanced with a very low turnover ratio. Which is pretty good when you have the two other phases of the game that help big time.

Calling it the best offense is just hyperbole. Not a chance. But I think you can make a case that it is the best coached offense, though that is pretty subjective as well.

Maybe he meant that the best offense is a good defense. I know he has taken quite a few shots so its not like he wont say something way off base from time to time. Its just like Cris Carter saying that Calvin Johnson wasn't the best WR in the game. If you had to talk about football all day every day you'd probably make a mistake from time to time. The difference is, they are on camera and we are not.

Calling it the best offense is just hyperbole. Not a chance. But I think you can make a case that it is the best coached offense, though that is pretty subjective as well.
I think this is closer to the truth. The 49ers are in incredibly well-coached team on both sides of the ball. With the win in Green Bay, they proved they aren't the one year wonder a lot of people thought they were.

A lot of you are mistaking best offense with most potent offense, or best fantasy offense, or best looking offense...

The 49ers offense actually complements their defense very well with ball possession and a low turnover rate. They got to where they were last year largely based on the fact that they had the best average starting position while their opponents had the worst. The field position battle often gets lost in the sexier stats but they did it better than anyone else a year ago and hope to continue that. They obviously need to work on 3rd down conversion rate, but I think the fact that they got their receivers deep into the mix during week one is a very good sign. Just imagine if they did the same during last years NFC Championship game?

It's pretty amazing, but I think Jim Harbaugh could run for GOD around here right now and win

Again. It's easy to look good when you can always use any play in your book.

I'm not trashing the SF offense because they are a solid offense but put them behind 17 points in the 1st qtr and let's see what we have. There's a reason why they always say your best offense is a good defense.

It's starting to look like we have to give Hoge credit on this call.
Good call.
not so fast my friendsThey have looked good against 2 of the lesser defenses of 2011. Let's give them a few more weeks before we call them the best offense in football.
AFAIK, they have yet to play any defenses from 2011.
So you are saying that GB & Detroit are better defenses than they were last year?

Good call.
not so fast my friendsThey have looked good against 2 of the lesser defenses of 2011. Let's give them a few more weeks before we call them the best offense in football.
:goodposting: I really do like the SF offense this year but GB and Det hardly seem like real tests. They were major tests for SF, the team, because of the offensive units those teams both have. However, GB and Det had 2 of the worst D's in football last year and I don't expect that to change this year. Det was missing 3 starting DB's last night BTW.

There will be many other games that test the true power of the SF offense this season. What is most important IMO is that it is clear that SF's offense is better than last years versrion. Say what you want about there WR additions but it seems obvious that they have helped open up this offense. Moss has proven effective every time they've lined him up. Weather it's been running deep to pull coverage, catch passes himself or simply block in the running game. Their snap count for him is working right now. Manningham has looked quick and explosive when he's been targeted. Best of all, the additions seem to have gotten Crabtree to start playing at a higher level as well. Perhaps Moss' years of wisdom and experience are making an impression. They've got 2 strong and effective RBs to platoon and a QB that just makes good decisions and few mistakes.

Good call.
AFAIK, they have yet to play any defenses from 2011.
So you are saying that GB & Detroit are better defenses than they were last year?
they have played 2 games. It's to early to make that call. Are you ready to claim that Alex Smith is a better FF QB than Stafford?

Good call.
:goodposting: I really do like the SF offense this year but GB and Det hardly seem like real tests. They were major tests for SF, the team, because of the offensive units those teams both have. However, GB and Det had 2 of the worst D's in football last year and I don't expect that to change this year. Det was missing 3 starting DB's last night BTW.

There will be many other games that test the true power of the SF offense this season. What is most important IMO is that it is clear that SF's offense is better than last years versrion. Say what you want about there WR additions but it seems obvious that they have helped open up this offense. Moss has proven effective every time they've lined him up. Weather it's been running deep to pull coverage, catch passes himself or simply block in the running game. Their snap count for him is working right now. Manningham has looked quick and explosive when he's been targeted. Best of all, the additions seem to have gotten Crabtree to start playing at a higher level as well. Perhaps Moss' years of wisdom and experience are making an impression. They've got 2 strong and effective RBs to platoon and a QB that just makes good decisions and few mistakes.
Good points. If Hoge had said they were the best "team" instead of "offense" there would be much more cred to the statement, SF are solid all around.

IMO the game vs. the Vikes showed why A. Smith will never be an elite QB in the NFL. He missed at least 3 big plays to Moss, 2 that could have been TDs. He also missed some other throws that, while somewhat difficult, a great QB needs to make.

It won't happen for a year or two, but Colin Kaepernick will be the QB that leads the 49ers to their next superbowl win.

Users who are viewing this thread