What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housh signs with Ravens! (1 Viewer)

I don't think you can downgrade Mason much in terms of draft/auction value, since he was already dirt cheap. But it's certainly him whose stats I'd downgrade. They didn't spend big money on Boldin to do anything but have him become Flacco's #1 guy. Housh and Boldin is a much more formidable WR tandem than Mason and Boldin, and Housh should thrive again now that he gets to be opposite a guy who will take #1 WR pressure off him. I expect respectable WR2 #'s out of Housh over the 2nd half of the season.

And once again, since as of the last Steeler preseason game, Willie Gay looks like he may be our most competent CB2, I fear more and more for our chances in the division. Great offseason by the Ravens. :shock:

Clayton becomes completely useless and any hope of a resurgance from Donte Stallworth is gone. Housh MAY cut into Mason's production slightly, but I doubt it.

I don't think this has much impact on any SIGNIFICANT players value, other then Houshmandzadeh's. Anyone counting on Housh as a WR3 in June is kicking themselves now.

What I see here is the team continuing/furthering their change in fundamental offensive approach.

The Ravens have really been focused on Def and running for the past decade or more, and that has worked for them for the most part. But they are really starting to shift gears. After essentially ignoring the WR position forever, they go out and and get two big name WRs this off-season PLUS a couple of pass-catching tight ends in the draft.

They already threw a lot more than usual last year. With Flacco continuing to develop and all of the acquisitions (not to mention the fact that the defense isn't as dominant as it once was), that trend could continue.

I think Flacco could really be a guy to target. Not necessarily because of TJ (who is marginal I think in terms of impact), but just because the team seems to be SERIOUS about changing their identity.

What I see here is the team continuing/furthering their change in fundamental offensive approach.The Ravens have really been focused on Def and running for the past decade or more, and that has worked for them for the most part. But they are really starting to shift gears. After essentially ignoring the WR position forever, they go out and and get two big name WRs this off-season PLUS a couple of pass-catching tight ends in the draft.They already threw a lot more than usual last year. With Flacco continuing to develop and all of the acquisitions (not to mention the fact that the defense isn't as dominant as it once was), that trend could continue.I think Flacco could really be a guy to target. Not necessarily because of TJ (who is marginal I think in terms of impact), but just because the team seems to be SERIOUS about changing their identity.
I agree with this.TJ was a mistake when the Hawks signed him thinking of him as a go to guy. But I think he still has the skills to be a REALLY good possession/2 guy, if he can keep his head down and ego in check.And good, competent role player a contender adds is big news. And I think people are going to underestimate his likely contribution.

Dynasty owner of Housh here . . .

what I can't figure is why Housh picked the Ravens . . . look at all the mouths to feed - the only way I can see him going there is if they handed him a starting gig on a silver platter - otherwise it was a mistake by Housh . . .other teams made more sense . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynasty owner of Housh here . . .what I can't figure is why Housh picked the Ravens . . . look at all the mouths to feed - the only way I can see him going there is if they handed him a starting gig on a silver platter - otherwise it was a mistake by Housh . . .other teams made more sense . . .
Maybe because he wants to win?

Dynasty owner of Housh here . . .what I can't figure is why Housh picked the Ravens . . . look at all the mouths to feed - the only way I can see him going there is if they handed him a starting gig on a silver platter - otherwise it was a mistake by Housh . . .other teams made more sense . . .
What teams do you know of that he turned down?

Any bad blood with the Bengals there? Could be a factor as well...

What I see here is the team continuing/furthering their change in fundamental offensive approach.The Ravens have really been focused on Def and running for the past decade or more, and that has worked for them for the most part. But they are really starting to shift gears. After essentially ignoring the WR position forever, they go out and and get two big name WRs this off-season PLUS a couple of pass-catching tight ends in the draft.They already threw a lot more than usual last year. With Flacco continuing to develop and all of the acquisitions (not to mention the fact that the defense isn't as dominant as it once was), that trend could continue.I think Flacco could really be a guy to target. Not necessarily because of TJ (who is marginal I think in terms of impact), but just because the team seems to be SERIOUS about changing their identity.
I agree with this.TJ was a mistake when the Hawks signed him thinking of him as a go to guy. But I think he still has the skills to be a REALLY good possession/2 guy, if he can keep his head down and ego in check.And good, competent role player a contender adds is big news. And I think people are going to underestimate his likely contribution. :goodposting: :goodposting: If you're a Raven fan this is awesome news. They just keep adding talent.

What teams do you know of that he turned down?
I don't know what he did over the last 48 hours - but a guy with his profile and contract provisions (Seattle is on the hook for 7mil - the difference of the contract with the new team) . . . but you have to figure that the Redskins should have been interested - even the Raiders are a better fit - the Browns and Vikings werent interested, but even a place like San Francisco or St Louis would have been better . . . Bradford has NO ONE out wide - Housh could have been his safety blanket until they draft a real receiver . . . just my thoughts . . .

So who to downgrade? Mason, Boldin or both?
Mason's dirt cheap, unless the Housh signing is because Mason's hurt he is fine.Boldin's been over rated all along, but yes, he's downgraded.
Ummm ... Are you on something?No one should be downgraded, and Boldin is one of the best WRs in the NFL, and was before Fitz was even in the NFL.

SMH
Where should we rank him amongst guys like Murphy, Williams (SEA), Robinson, etc.?

I've followed TJ since I picked him up in a league in 2004 (right before he blew up) . . . even though he is a very good WR< he has never expressed a desire to win over getting the ball - never . . .

He still gets the Seahawk 7 mil and gets to play on a contender. Plus he doesn't twist in the wind for weeks on end while his leverage dwindles.

I've followed TJ since I picked him up in a league in 2004 (right before he blew up) . . . even though he is a very good WR< he has never expressed a desire to win over getting the ball - never . . .
I believe he just did.

I think this is an easy one. Last time Housh admittedly (and openly) went for the highest bidder for his last "big" kt. Now he's nearing the end of the line and wants to play with a serious Superbowl contender for a ring. That progression of motivations seems pretty common for these guys.

This is a big bump up for Flacco. A solid veteran possession WR only. Helps Flacco's ability to keep drives alive and increases his opportunity for red zone passing. Big for Flacco!

Also think it speaks to a somewhat unspoken reality about the Ravens D - it is significantly diminished, particularly in it's secondary. I think the Ravens are anticipating the need to score more and potentially play more from behind.

Times they are a changing in Bahlmore.

I think this is an easy one. Last time Housh admittedly (and openly) went for the highest bidder for his last "big" kt. Now he's nearing the end of the line and wants to play with a serious Superbowl contender for a ring. That progression of motivations seems pretty common for these guys.
maybe - I'd like to hear him say it so I will be watching tonight to see if he is interviewed . . .meanwhile, does everyone think that TJ will be the #2, or will the ageless Mason keep him on the bench??

I do think Housh probably had a lot of options considering he's being paid by another team and didn't need a big salary. However, I can't think of too many decent teams that were going to give him a guaranteed starter's position. It's not like Seattle is rolling in proven WR talent, and he couldn't get a starting gig there.I guess he could have gone to Cleveland or Buffalo or somewhere like that, but why? Baltimore mad as much sense as anywhere with a good team, a good young QB, and a talented but ancient #2 receiver who's slot he can comfortably slide into over time.

Am I the only one who thinks this move renders Housh WW fodder?

I drafted Housh late hoping he'd go to Washington or somewhere he could put up numbers. Baltimore is just as bad as if he'd gone to Minnesota. They aren't just gonna relegate Mason to spot duty after all he's done for that team. I fear Housh is a WR5 for FF purposes. I'll give it a week or 2, but I'm guessing he'll be dropped after Week 2 for somebody with more opportunity/targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mason's dirt cheap, unless the Housh signing is because Mason's hurt he is fine.Boldin's been over rated all along, but yes, he's downgraded.
Ummm ... Are you on something?No one should be downgraded, and Boldin is one of the best WRs in the NFL, and was before Fitz was even in the NFL.

SMH
Totally agree. Boldin's value is unchanged. Also, Housh can not just walk onto a team 6 days before opening kickoff and make an immediate impact. Housh was likely signed as Stallworth insurance in the event his broken foot is slow to heal or if Stallworth decides to go for another late-night drive.

I do think Housh probably had a lot of options considering he's being paid by another team and didn't need a big salary. However, I can't think of too many decent teams that were going to give him a guaranteed starter's position. It's not like Seattle is rolling in proven WR talent, and he couldn't get a starting gig there.I guess he could have gone to Cleveland or Buffalo or somewhere like that, but why? Baltimore mad as much sense as anywhere with a good team, a good young QB, and a talented but ancient #2 receiver who's slot he can comfortably slide into over time.
a guy like TJ will be whining if he's the #3 - he started last year for SEA and he wias still complaining about not seeing the ball - and NOW he's just happy to be on a contender??? A year later??? I don't see it . . .

SMH
Where should we rank him amongst guys like Murphy, Williams (SEA), Robinson, etc.?
Him = Housh, or Boldin?I see Housh as nothing but a FF #5 or so. Flacco is already more comfortable with the other WRs, Housh has to learn the offense, most WRs typically struggle in their first year on a new team.., so, barring an injury that opens the door for him, I don't think he'll show much this year.

Next year he may be a better option than Mason.

Am I the only one who thinks this move renders Housh WW fodder?I drafted Housh late hoping he'd go to Washington or somewhere he could put up numbers. Baltimore is just as bad as if he'd gone to Minnesota. They aren't just gonna relegate Mason to spot duty after all he's done for that team. I fear Housh is a WR5 for FF purposes. I'll give it a week or 2, but I'm guessing he'll be dropped after Week 2 for somebody with more opportunity/targets.
I agree completely. And after he's dropped, I intend to pick him up and stash him till he invariably unseats Mason. Housh is ten times the football player Mason is, and Mason, ever the good team player, will thrive as a WR3 entering the endgame of his career. Talent will win out as the playoff run takes shape.

Am I the only one who thinks this move renders Housh WW fodder?I drafted Housh late hoping he'd go to Washington or somewhere he could put up numbers. Baltimore is just as bad as if he'd gone to Minnesota. They aren't just gonna relegate Mason to spot duty after all he's done for that team. I fear Housh is a WR5 for FF purposes. I'll give it a week or 2, but I'm guessing he'll be dropped after Week 2 for somebody with more opportunity/targets.
He's now a WR3 on a superbowl contender. Mason is a prime candidate for injury given his age and aggressive play style. In leagues that start 3 WRs, he's a quality player. Gone are the days where one could hope that TJ is a WR1, but he's a solid WR3 with WR2 upside.

He's now a WR3 on a superbowl contender. Mason is a prime candidate for injury given his age and aggressive play style. In leagues that start 3 WRs, he's a quality player. Gone are the days where one could hope that TJ is a WR1, but he's a solid WR3 with WR2 upside.
so I assume you think that TJ is a #2 on the Ravens - when do you think that this will occur???

I agree completely. And after he's dropped, I intend to pick him up and stash him till he invariably unseats Mason. Housh is ten times the football player Mason is, and Mason, ever the good team player, will thrive as a WR3 entering the endgame of his career. Talent will win out as the playoff run takes shape.
Ummm...no. Mason is a far better WR than Houshmazilly. If Mason had played his career somewhere other than Baltimore, he would have better TD numbers, at least based on the Ravens games I've watched.

so I assume you think that TJ is a #2 on the Ravens - when do you think that this will occur???
I am stupid - I just reread your post . . . I see now that you think that Mason is better . . .

Users who are viewing this thread