What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans 2013 In-season thread (2 Viewers)

If HOU really wants to trade that pick they out to save that video of Clowney jumping and picking up tennis balls and email it to all the teams interested with a title of "you want his, you NEED this!" It could net them a better offer. :lol:

Jurb, what do you think a reasonable trade would be for a team moving up #1 for him? Of course it varies by what picks they have, but just grabbing some team in the top 7 or 8 and using their draft spot as an example, what do you think Clowney is worth compared to the QBs, tackles, LBs and Watkins projected to go early?

If a team was to trade up from say 5 thru 8, I'd think a fair deal would be 1st and 2nd this year and next year.

I am taking the fatalistic approach with the Texans. They will stay at #1 overall and draft Bortles. After a 4 or 5 win season, they are back in the top ten of the NFL draft next year.

Owen Daniels signed with the Ravens. Also, Mike Brisiel was let go by the Raiders, not that I think it's going to end up with him coming back to Houston.

Offseason activities start next week. If I remember correctly, teams with new head coaches get to start earlier than others.

Phase one of the Texans’ voluntary offseason conditioning program begins Monday. Only the strength and conditioning coaches can be on the field during the first two weeks.

Coach Bill O’Brien and the remainder of his assistants get involved in phase two of the program.

The Texans have a voluntary minicamp on May 6-8. They have 10 organized team activities on May 27-29, June 2-3, June 5, June 9-10, June 12-13.

The only thing mandatory during the offseason is the June 17-19 minicamp.

No contact is allowed during any part of the offseason program.

By the way, in 2015 Arian Foster will be a $9m cap hit. If released he would either be a $5m cap hit in 2015 or he could be a $2.5m cap hit in both 2015 and 2016. So cutting him would be either a $4m or $6.5m cap savings in 2015.

If I had to guess I'd say Houston looks for just a backup caliber RB this year in the late rounds of the draft, and hopes he shows he is someone who can take over next year. And if not, draft a RB next year to be a starter and let Foster go. This is barring Foster leading the league in rushing or the like in 2014 of course.

By the way, in 2015 Arian Foster will be a $9m cap hit. If released he would either be a $5m cap hit in 2015 or he could be a $2.5m cap hit in both 2015 and 2016. So cutting him would be either a $4m or $6.5m cap savings in 2015.

If I had to guess I'd say Houston looks for just a backup caliber RB this year in the late rounds of the draft, and hopes he shows he is someone who can take over next year. And if not, draft a RB next year to be a starter and let Foster go. This is barring Foster leading the league in rushing or the like in 2014 of course.
Foster's salary will be $6.5M. That's high but not outrageously expensive if he proves he can stay healthy this year.

I am taking the fatalistic approach with the Texans. They will stay at #1 overall and draft Bortles. After a 4 or 5 win season, they are back in the top ten of the NFL draft next year.
I definitely think that's worst case scenario.

They are too talented on both sides of the ball. I liken their 2014 to Minnesota's playoff run two seasons ago. In a weak division, anything is possible with a stud component (Minnesota was a beast season from ADP, Houston's will be their defense). The team read into their "Super Bowl contender" hype preseason and when things got bad, most of the team quit.

Last season, they played the 1st place teams schedule AND got the AFC/NFC West. This season they play a last place team schedule and get the AFC North and NFC East. I see a minimum of 7 wins even if come August, the best QB on the roster is Fitzpatrick.

Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months ago I thought Bridgewater but I've soured on the top QB options like a lot of people it seems. Give me Clowney please and we can call him & Watt the "bulls horns" and terrify opposing QB's. The offseason has gone a lot how we in these threads expected despite it being quiet for the most part. Schuab, Daniels, & Manning gone for cap reasons. Antonio not resigned and most other FA's gone.

Very interested to see the draft next month, I was thinking Clowney, then a QB, then a RT then a RB but we have a lot more holes after letting nearly every FA walk. I agree RB will probably be a late round flier now with McCain being cut as we need another CB and a NT replacement as well. Guard depth would be nice too.

I wont exactly pitch a fit if they go QB 1st, but it will be hard to be optimistic given the warts these prospects have.

A few months ago I thought Bridgewater but I've soured on the top QB options like a lot of people it seems. Give me Clowney please and we can call him & Watt the "bulls horns" and terrify opposing QB's. The offseason has gone a lot how we in these threads expected despite it being quiet for the most part. Schuab, Daniels, & Manning gone for cap reasons. Antonio not resigned and most other FA's gone.

Very interested to see the draft next month, I was thinking Clowney, then a QB, then a RT then a RB but we have a lot more holes after letting nearly every FA walk. I agree RB will probably be a late round flier now with McCain being cut as we need another CB and a NT replacement as well. Guard depth would be nice too.

I wont exactly pitch a fit if they go QB 1st, but it will be hard to be optimistic given the warts these prospects have.
Nice.

I definitely think that's worst case scenario.

They are too talented on both sides of the ball. I liken their 2014 to Minnesota's playoff run two seasons ago. In a weak division, anything is possible with a stud component (Minnesota was a beast season from ADP, Houston's will be their defense). The team read into their "Super Bowl contender" hype preseason and when things got bad, most of the team quit.

Last season, they played the 1st place teams schedule AND got the AFC/NFC West. This season they play a last place team schedule and get the AFC North and NFC East. I see a minimum of 7 wins even if come August, the best QB on the roster is Fitzpatrick.

Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants
I am not sure who you are referring to in the bolded. Outside of JJ Watt, Duane Brown, and Andre Johnson, everyone else is average/bad or question marks due to injuries (Cushing, Foster, Joseph).

Also, they are all learning new systems. It will take a while to gel. Add in a rookie QB in my scenario playing probably the second half of the season (Fitzpatrick will probably start in the first half) and they will definitely lose

some winnable games. I see maybe 4 games on that schedule that they will be favored to win.

Again, this is my fatalistic viewpoint, so I hope I am wrong.

John Mcclain telling stories on Houston radio

a pro scout that has been around a long time swears he knows which QB the texans will draft. In fact he was so sure of it he wanted to bet McClain a steak dinner anywhere he wanted. McClain pushed him on it and the scout refused to say who the QB was. He did however say it wouldn't be a first overall pick QB. In fact it was a second round/tier QB.

Text from texanstalk.com message board

a pro scout that has been around a long time swears he knows which QB the texans will draft. In fact he was so sure of it he wanted to bet McClain a steak dinner anywhere he wanted. McClain pushed him on it and the scout refused to say who the QB was. He did however say it wouldn't be a first overall pick QB. In fact it was a second round/tier QB.Text from texanstalk.com message board
And then he posts a mock draft with Johnny football as the number 1 pick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/07/are-texans-in-play-for-manziel-at-no-1/

a pro scout that has been around a long time swears he knows which QB the texans will draft. In fact he was so sure of it he wanted to bet McClain a steak dinner anywhere he wanted. McClain pushed him on it and the scout refused to say who the QB was. He did however say it wouldn't be a first overall pick QB. In fact it was a second round/tier QB.Text from texanstalk.com message board
Garoppolo.

a pro scout that has been around a long time swears he knows which QB the texans will draft. In fact he was so sure of it he wanted to bet McClain a steak dinner anywhere he wanted. McClain pushed him on it and the scout refused to say who the QB was. He did however say it wouldn't be a first overall pick QB. In fact it was a second round/tier QB.

Garoppolo.
Classic McClain....pretty worthless reporting

I love listening to John McClain talk about football. He does get a lot of information about what is going on with the team inside the lockerroom. When it comes to predicting the draft, however, he repeats a lot of what people tell him, and of course they know that he will repeat it. Thus it is usually not true and meant to create mis-information. He should know this as well since he was sure they were taking Reggie Bush until someone broke the news that the Texans had reached a contract agreement with Mario Williams the night before the draft. Then he (and everyone else) knew that they were taking Mario Williams

I love listening to John McClain talk about football. He does get a lot of information about what is going on with the team inside the lockerroom. When it comes to predicting the draft, however, he repeats a lot of what people tell him, and of course they know that he will repeat it. Thus it is usually not true and meant to create mis-information. He should know this as well since he was sure they were taking Reggie Bush until someone broke the news that the Texans had reached a contract agreement with Mario Williams the night before the draft. Then he (and everyone else) knew that they were taking Mario Williams
I'm sure he knows it but he plays along knowing that if he does he'll keep getting fed inside info on other things. Sort of quid pro quo.

Garoppolo.
I believe this more than what he's being told by Texans management.

Garoppolo.
I believe this more than what he's being told by Texans management.
Oh this is a fully believable story but McClain has claimed all along that they're going to draft a quarterback in the first round. I just wouldn't go to him for the final analysis or prediction on who the Texans are going to take. He doesn't know any more than they want him to know.

Thoughts on Andre Brown if he signs with the Texans? Better be a cheap contract. Would he be a better backup tham Grimes? Talking real football, not fantasy.

I don't mind signing Brown as a backup. I don't see it as anything that would keep us from drafting a running back in the middle rounds and it's a good add for depth

He was so sure he was willing to bet a steak dinner. Wow that's pretty sure. What it doesn't say is whether the steak dinner is at a Ponderosa or a really nice restaurant. Because knowing that would really help understand this guy's level of conviction and i can plan for the draft accordingly.

Tool said:

He was so sure he was willing to bet a steak dinner. Wow that's pretty sure. What it doesn't say is whether the steak dinner is at a Ponderosa or a really nice restaurant. Because knowing that would really help understand this guy's level of conviction and i can plan for the draft accordingly.
funny...then again even if that is an overpriced. errr good steakhouse we are still talking about less than $200 for the full meal, drinks, desert and tips, not exactly going to send Pancakes or his friend into the poorhouse.

Thoughts on Andre Brown if he signs with the Texans? Better be a cheap contract. Would he be a better backup tham Grimes? Talking real football, not fantasy.
Feels to me like one of those signings that gives you a bit more flexibility in the draft. You might still want to get a RB in the later rounds, but now it's not as big of a hole that might cause you to reach to fill it.

Fells to me like one of those signings that gives you a bit more flexibility in the draft. You might still want to get a RB in the later rounds, but now it's not as big of a hole that might cause you to reach to fill it.
Brown is cheap and better than any backup on the roster. They'll probably just bring a half dozen UDFAs like they usually do.

I have a new possible source of Texans information. This source says it is very likely that the Texans will take Clowney. Earth-shattering I know, but I am just using this as a test to see if this person knows what he says he knows.

cstu said:
Greg Russell said:
Fells to me like one of those signings that gives you a bit more flexibility in the draft. You might still want to get a RB in the later rounds, but now it's not as big of a hole that might cause you to reach to fill it.
Brown is cheap and better than any backup on the roster. They'll probably just bring a half dozen UDFAs like they usually do.
Was thinking the same in my earlier post. Too many holes to worry much about a RB of the future. Run Foster into the ground again this year, if he bounces back maybe you keep him around next season. If he breaks down or significantly declines, look for a new RB in FA or the draft next year. Brown gives you a cheap veteran backup to spell Foster or possibly fill-in if Foster gets injured again.

dhockster said:
I have a new possible source of Texans information. This source says it is very likely that the Texans will take Clowney. Earth-shattering I know, but I am just using this as a test to see if this person knows what he says he knows.
He doesn't.

cstu said:
Greg Russell said:
Really surprised how cheap he was. He was pretty close to a starting caliber rb last year. At 650k, that's like 1/4 of what Donald Brown and Gerhart got

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Texans sign free agent DE Ricardo Mathews.6-3/300 lbs. Been with Colts since 2010 when they took him N 7th round.Played in 52games/6 starts

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Texans sign free agent DE Ricardo Mathews.6-3/300 lbs. Been with Colts since 2010 when they took him N 7th round.Played in 52games/6 starts
New Texans nose tackle Ricardo Mathews gets a one-year deal worth $730,000

Please not the Texans call him a nose tackle

Hard to believe we've got so little chatter with the #1 pick and the draft... well, the approach feels like a crawl at this point I guess.

There isn't much to talk about though. The team seemed to make an effort to create the appearance that any player another team might covet could be the Texans pick. Clowney, any of the QBs, even bringing in tackles that you can feel pretty confident they won't pick.

Biggest thing it suggests is they really want to trade down.

Hard to believe we've got so little chatter with the #1 pick and the draft... well, the approach feels like a crawl at this point I guess.

There isn't much to talk about though. The team seemed to make an effort to create the appearance that any player another team might covet could be the Texans pick. Clowney, any of the QBs, even bringing in tackles that you can feel pretty confident they won't pick.

Biggest thing it suggests is they really want to trade down.
Could Allen Robinson play the slot? I know WR isn't a position of need, but say he's there sitting at 3.1...should we draft him? I know it would be a luxury pick. And we have plenty of holes that could be filled by that pick. But, this kid thrived under O'Brien. It would give us a very loaded WR corps for Fitzpatrick/Rookie QB. And if Andre got hurt (please no!!), he could be a quality heir-apparent with Hopkins. Just spitballing here. It's doubtful Robinson is there in the 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread