What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
822 passing yards allowed in the first two weeks is the most since the merger (2nd is '94 Pats with 778)

A quick look shows only two other teams to have allowed consecutive weeks of over 400 pass yards since the merger ('04 GB and '96 STL)

Can Romo make it 3 straight this weekend?

Last edited by a moderator:
822 passing yards allowed in the first two weeks is the most since the merger (2nd is '94 Pats with 778)A quick look shows only two other teams to have allowed consecutive weeks of over 400 pass yards since the merger ('04 GB and '96 STL)Can Romo make it 3 straight this weekend?
Looks like Yes

considering the boys simply cannot run the ball, i'd guess yes too.

plus, they'll likely be playing from behind on the road vs. a top 5 offense anyway this week, so they'll have to.

He could probably have 400 at the half if they just throw at Kareem Jackson every snap :lmao:

1106 pass yards given up through the first 3 weeks. Only the '05 49er's have ever given up more... 1107.

Truely awful. How could people think this team was for real?

How could people think this team was for real?
Like I told you last week, being deficient in one area of your team doesn't make you not "for real."
You're right. It doesn't matter that their pass D is 1 yard short of being the worst ever through 3 weeks. :thumbup: How many deficiencies can a team have before they are not for real? Does it matter if the deficiencies are historically bad or not?

How long have you been following the NFL?

The 1997 Broncos and 2006 Colts were both terrible defending the run, yet both won the Super Bowl.

The 2009 Colts were the worst team in the league at running the ball, yet made it to the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Ravens were a poor passing team, but won the Super Bowl.

Yes, the Texans are pretty bad at pass defense, but they are very solid to great everywhere else, and they could/should finish 10-6 or 11-5, which will probably get them a wild card berth. Hence, they would be for real.

How long have you been following the NFL? The 1997 Broncos and 2006 Colts were both terrible defending the run, yet both won the Super Bowl. The 2009 Colts were the worst team in the league at running the ball, yet made it to the Super Bowl. The 2000 Ravens were a poor passing team, but won the Super Bowl. Yes, the Texans are pretty bad at pass defense, but they are very solid to great everywhere else, and they could/should finish 10-6 or 11-5, which will probably get them a wild card berth. Hence, they would be for real.
Now what do you have to say for yourself, Cliff?The Saints lost to the Falcons yesterday, I guess they are not 'for real' either?

To clarify, I am not saying I think the Texans will win, or even make it to, the Super Bowl.

But to say they are not for real because their pass defense had a really bad 3-game stretch is just silly. Tell you what...if their pass defense continues to be on a historically bad rate when November 1st rolls around, then maybe I will agree with you, but my guess is that by then, their pass defense will just be bad, not historically bad. :shrug:

How long have you been following the NFL?

The 1997 Broncos and 2006 Colts were both terrible defending the run, yet both won the Super Bowl.

The 2009 Colts were the worst team in the league at running the ball, yet made it to the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Ravens were a poor passing team, but won the Super Bowl.

Yes, the Texans are pretty bad at pass defense, but they are very solid to great everywhere else, and they could/should finish 10-6 or 11-5, which will probably get them a wild card berth. Hence, they would be for real.
The '97 Broncos were 15th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game. '06 Colts were last in the league but not historically bad.

Not sure what the '09 Colts or the '00 Ravens have to do with this. Ravens were 22nd in the league in passing, no where near historically awful. '09 Colts offense was pretty good without running the ball. Are you trying to say the Texans play good D despite not being able to stop the pass?

Food for thought as well: Houston gave up 615 rushing yards thru the first 3 games last year. Then averaged giving up only 60.5 yards for the next 6 games until they faced Chris Johnson again on his way to 2,000 yards.

How long have you been following the NFL? The 1997 Broncos and 2006 Colts were both terrible defending the run, yet both won the Super Bowl. The 2009 Colts were the worst team in the league at running the ball, yet made it to the Super Bowl. The 2000 Ravens were a poor passing team, but won the Super Bowl. Yes, the Texans are pretty bad at pass defense, but they are very solid to great everywhere else, and they could/should finish 10-6 or 11-5, which will probably get them a wild card berth. Hence, they would be for real.
Now what do you have to say for yourself, Cliff?The Saints lost to the Falcons yesterday, I guess they are not 'for real' either?
They aren't.

Clifford C., you are still missing the point, which is that a team can still be for real, very good, or even a SB-winning team despite being really bad in one area of their game.

And again, if their pass defense continues to be on a historically bad rate when November 1st rolls around, then maybe I will agree with you, but my guess is that by then, their pass defense will just be bad, not historically bad.

I mean, if you are gonna say that the Texans aren't for real because they have a defense that is historically bad after 3 games, then can I say that they are for real because they have a RB who is on pace to break the single season record for both rushing yards and yards from scrimmage?

Sounds silly, doesn't it? Just like Foster won't keep up that pace, but will still be really good, the Texans pass defense won't continuing being historically bad, but will still likely struggle a lot. Make sense?

Clifford C., you are still missing the point, which is that a team can still be for real, very good, or even a SB-winning team despite being really bad in one area of their game. And again, if their pass defense continues to be on a historically bad rate when November 1st rolls around, then maybe I will agree with you, but my guess is that by then, their pass defense will just be bad, not historically bad.I mean, if you are gonna say that the Texans aren't for real because they have a defense that is historically bad after 3 games, then can I say that they are for real because they have a RB who is on pace to break the single season record for both rushing yards and yards from scrimmage? Sounds silly, doesn't it? Just like Foster won't keep up that pace, but will still be really good, the Texans pass defense won't continuing being historically bad, but will still likely struggle a lot. Make sense?
You're talking about completely different things.

Got some conflicting data here. ESPN has the Texans at 1421 yards allowed which gives them a firm grip on the 2nd worst pass D in the history of the league. Pro Football Reference and NFL.com have them at 1351 which is still good for the 4th worst pass D ever through 4 weeks.

Either way, they are still historically awful.

Arian Foster is still historically having the best RB season ever. He is on pace to rush for 2,148 yards and to have 2,756 total yards from scrimmage, both of which would be records.

Many fish caught here.
:rant: Are the numbers wrong?
Accuracy and douchebaggery are not mutually exclusive.
Posting relative fantasy football information qualifies as douchebaggery? I think you're being a little too sensitive, Nate. Try and be more excellent :lmao:
Ok, so douchebaggery was a little strong. I'll try to be more excellent.This thread could be about fantasy football if you were, you know, talking about fantasy football. Since you started the thread, two teams have faced the Texans but there's nary a mention of how any of those players have done.

Here, I'll help you:

Receiving options vs. the Texans past two weeks (and how they did the week before)

Player Name (vs. Texans) --- (vs. previous opponent)

Miles Austin (2/20/0) --- (10/142/0)

Dez Bryant (4/50/0) --- (2/52/0)

Roy Williams (5/117/2) --- (4/53/0)

Jason Witten (7/56/0) --- (5/51/0)

Louis Murphy (1/5/0) --- (5/119/0)

Darrius Heyward-Bey (1/2/0) --- (3/49/0)

Zach Miller (11/122/1) --- (4/64/1)

D. McFadden (6/82) --- (2/17/0)

So, we've got 2 100yd games vs. the Houston pass D, but from a TE and a 2B (3rd?) receiver? Miles Austin held to 20 yards? Oakland's top two WRs go from 168yds combined to 7 yards combined?

So since this thread is about fantasy football, who do we think will have big games against the Texans? If Dez Bryant is Dallas' #2 WR, that means the top 4 WRs to face the Texans since this thread started have combined for 77 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Is Mario Manningham the guy next week? Kevin Boss?

Many fish caught here.
:blackdot: Are the numbers wrong?
Accuracy and douchebaggery are not mutually exclusive.
Posting relative fantasy football information qualifies as douchebaggery? I think you're being a little too sensitive, Nate. Try and be more excellent :lmao:
Ok, so douchebaggery was a little strong. I'll try to be more excellent.This thread could be about fantasy football if you were, you know, talking about fantasy football. Since you started the thread, two teams have faced the Texans but there's nary a mention of how any of those players have done.

Here, I'll help you:

Receiving options vs. the Texans past two weeks (and how they did the week before)

So, we've got 2 100yd games vs. the Houston pass D, but from a TE and a 2B (3rd?) receiver? Miles Austin held to 20 yards? Oakland's top two WRs go from 168yds combined to 7 yards combined?

So since this thread is about fantasy football, who do we think will have big games against the Texans? If Dez Bryant is Dallas' #2 WR, that means the top 4 WRs to face the Texans since this thread started have combined for 77 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Why do you want to forget the first two weeks of the season when Wayne/Collie/Clark/Moss went 39/431/3?

I think Mario would out produce Boss. Boss seemed to have alligator arms in the Bears game.
The answer would be Boss given the defense's propensity of giving up big numbers to TE.Clark (11rec, 80yds, 1TD)Cooley (3rec, 64yds, 1TD)Witten (7rec, 56yds) (left game with injury)Miller (11rec, 122yds, 1TD)But, that could be a product of Cushing missing more than anything. It should be interesting to see what kind of impact he has on the pass defense when he gets back.

Why do you want to forget the first two weeks of the season when Wayne/Collie/Clark/Moss went 39/431/3?
It's about trends. The Texans pass defense has consistently improved each week.433 yards, to 426 yards, to 284 yards, to 278 yards.If this thread was an objective look at the Texans' pass defense, you would have noted this improvement rather than blindy pound your chest in support of your hyperbolic premise.

Ok, so douchebaggery was a little strong. I'll try to be more excellent.

This thread could be about fantasy football if you were, you know, talking about fantasy football. Since you started the thread, two teams have faced the Texans but there's nary a mention of how any of those players have done.

Here, I'll help you:

Meh... you're missing the point. I'm trying to make this fantasy relevant. Go fetch those stats if you want to talk about them - my point is just that it's hard to figure out who is going to go off against the Texans. For every Wayne & Moss there's an Austin & DHB.Specifically, you need to be starting whoever is facing Kareem Jackson, if you can figure that out. I'll scratch the Oakland game cause it's Oakland but going into week 4 he'd been lit up for what must have been around 500 yards and at least one big PI penalty.

What's the best CB stat site? I want to know exactly how many yards Jackson has given up.

It's about trends. The Texans pass defense has consistently improved each week.433 yards, to 426 yards, to 284 yards, to 278 yards.If this thread was an objective look at the Texans' pass defense, you would have noted this improvement rather than blindy pound your chest in support of your hyperbolic premise.
You don't think the decline in opposition has something to with the yardage they have given up? They've gone from perhaps the best QB ever in week 1 to a career backup in week 4 and still gave up 278 yards. Manning - 3rd most passing yards in his career - QB Rating 109.8McNabb - 3rd most passing yards in his career - QB Rating 119 (season high)Romo - QB Rating of 127.6 (season high)Gradkowski - 2nd most passing yards in his career and season high in QB ratingOakland had been averaging 204 yards per game... then dropped 278 on Houston. Are these personal attacks normal from Texans' fans? You and Nate sure seem to be taking the Texans' secondary problems personally. I'm just trying to provide our fellow sharks with a few interesting numbers on how awful the Texans pass D really is.

:thumbup: In addition, the Texans now bring back Cushing, which should help the defense on an overall basis.

You don't think the decline in opposition has something to with the yardage they have given up? They've gone from perhaps the best QB ever in week 1 to a career backup in week 4 and still gave up 278 yards. Manning - 3rd most passing yards in his career - QB Rating 109.8McNabb - 3rd most passing yards in his career - QB Rating 119 (season high)Romo - QB Rating of 127.6 (season high)Gradkowski - 2nd most passing yards in his career and season high in QB ratingOakland had been averaging 204 yards per game... then dropped 278 on Houston. Are these personal attacks normal from Texans' fans? You and Nate sure seem to be taking the Texans' secondary problems personally. I'm just trying to provide our fellow sharks with a few interesting numbers on how awful the Texans pass D really is.
Whoa, hold the phone. Are you telling me that Romo had a higher QB rating against the Texans than in either of the other two games he's played?Why didn't you say so earlier?

:hifive: I found it to be useful information. Gradkowski proved to be a great bye-week fill-in. I picked him up based -in part- from the information that I read in this thread.

I dont care what the OP's reputation or underlying motivation for starting the thread is. Like it or not, the Texan's secondary is a sieve. Even if they have "improved' to giving up 280 yards/game - thats still in the bottom 4 of the league.

Itchy Amos said:
:thumbdown: I found it to be useful information. Gradkowski proved to be a great bye-week fill-in. I picked him up based -in part- from the information that I read in this thread.I dont care what the OP's reputation or underlying motivation for starting the thread is. Like it or not, the Texan's secondary is a sieve. Even if they have "improved' to giving up 280 yards/game - thats still in the bottom 4 of the league.
:thumbdown:

I think the other useful point to make about the Texans is that even if their pass defense improves (which it should), they may still give up a lot of

passing yards because their offense is going to have them in the lead alot this year. Other teams will be throwing alot to catch up.

So from a fantasy perspective, playing a QB against the Texans is a good move because their pass defense is the weakness of their defense and because

your QB will have to throw alot playing catch-up. The Texans are probably going to give up a lot of prevent yards and points. This was more the case

against the Raiders (and the Colts as well) than it was against the Redskins.

Thread delivers! Start your QBs against the Texans!

Useful thread, if you've been out of football watching for the last 8 years :excited:

After week 5, they are still horribly awful. Just disgustingly bad. 2nd worst in the history of league through 5 games.

1) '05 Niners - 1718

2) '10 Texans - 1648

Cassel looking like a great bye/injury plug this week (not that you should be starting any QB from this weeks bye teams).

What can we expect him to go off for? Low man vs the Texans this year is Gradkowski with 278 and 2 TDs.

Cassel looking like a great bye/injury plug this week (not that you should be starting any QB from this weeks bye teams).What can we expect him to go off for? Low man vs the Texans this year is Gradkowski with 278 and 2 TDs.
Pretty close!201/3 for one of the worst passing offenses in the league. Not a bad day for Mr. Cassel. If they hadn't been able to run the ball so easily there is no doubt that Cassel could have hit 300+ yards and another TD.Only a fool would not start a QB playing the Texans. That defense is absolutely horrible.

Lucky Cassel user this week. Probably going to use him next week against the almost-as-bad Jaguars pass defense. Too bad Houston is off. Need a fill-in until Vick is healthy. And Schaub has a bye.

The Texans pass defense continues to suck all kinds of swamp water. That is undeniable. The bizarre part on that long TD catch by Bowe was that he turned a short pass into a long TD, but about 15 yards into the run, one of the Texans' DBs, who was running from sideline to sideline, actually ran past Bowe while in front of him! I didn't believe I saw that until I saw the replay, but yep, he did it. :wub:

822 passing yards allowed in the first two weeks is the most since the merger (2nd is '94 Pats with 778)A quick look shows only two other teams to have allowed consecutive weeks of over 400 pass yards since the merger ('04 GB and '96 STL)Can Romo make it 3 straight this weekend?
Wk3 Tony Romo: 284ydsWk4 Bruce Gradkowski: 278ydsWk5 Eli Manning: 297ydsWk6 Matt Cassel: 201ydsNo 300 yd passers against the historically awful Texans secondary since this thread started?

Wk3 Tony Romo: 284ydsWk4 Bruce Gradkowski: 278ydsWk5 Eli Manning: 297ydsWk6 Matt Cassel: 201ydsNo 300 yd passers against the historically awful Texans secondary since this thread started?
I did a quick look but it looks Gradkoswki, Eli and Cassel all had their best fantasy games of the year vs HOU (using 4 pts/TD, -2 INT, 1 pt per 25 yp scoring) and Dallas doubled up Houston (27-13) so 284 yards for Romo is pretty good.

Per ESPN Insider...

Sunday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that the Oakland Raiders have informed other teams that any player on their roster is available via trade. The Raiders' official Twitter feed has yet to vigorously deny these rumors. Nnamdi Asomungha is reportedly on the Houston Texans radar come Tuesday if they can agree to compensation with the Raiders. The Texans are desperate for a good veteran CB in their young secondary. Keep an eye on this Texan fans as your prayers might be answered.
Nnamdi would certainly be welcome in this secondary... though, apparently Schefter has no cred, according to these boards... :popcorn:

Per ESPN Insider...

Sunday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that the Oakland Raiders have informed other teams that any player on their roster is available via trade. The Raiders' official Twitter feed has yet to vigorously deny these rumors. Nnamdi Asomungha is reportedly on the Houston Texans radar come Tuesday if they can agree to compensation with the Raiders. The Texans are desperate for a good veteran CB in their young secondary. Keep an eye on this Texan fans as your prayers might be answered.
Nnamdi would certainly be welcome in this secondary... though, apparently Schefter has no cred, according to these boards... :yes:
What's funny is that pre-espn, it was "known" that Adam had alias of some sort on this board. I know in the past the Raiders have tried say Adam was a mere rumor monger and then turned around and did the exact thing that he stated. As I Texans'fan I "hoping" on this rumor versus any level of believing.

Still hanging around at 5th worth in the history of league through their first 7 games. Can't believe people thought this team was for real :goodposting:

Rk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds 1 KAN 2002 7 3 4 0 0.429 201 296 2255 17 8 12 762 SFO 2005 7 2 5 0 0.286 181 265 2203 16 7 21 1443 IND 2004 7 4 3 0 0.571 193 277 2141 14 7 15 1174 ATL 1990 7 3 4 0 0.429 157 260 2136 20 8 16 905 HOU 2010 7 4 3 0 0.571 188 280 2096 16 4 11 91From Elias:

The Texans, who lost to the Colts, 30-17, on Monday night, are the first team since the 1989 Cowboys to allow at least 24 points in each of their first seven games of a season. That team finished with a 1-15 record, in what was the first year for Jerry, Jimmy and Troy in Dallas.
Can't remember exactly what the number was they kept throwing out last night... but it was something like 18TDs for opponents in 23 redzone trips. Historically awful.

Still hanging around at 5th worth in the history of league through their first 7 games. Can't believe people thought this team was for real :pickle:

Rk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds 1 KAN 2002 7 3 4 0 0.429 201 296 2255 17 8 12 762 SFO 2005 7 2 5 0 0.286 181 265 2203 16 7 21 1443 IND 2004 7 4 3 0 0.571 193 277 2141 14 7 15 1174 ATL 1990 7 3 4 0 0.429 157 260 2136 20 8 16 905 HOU 2010 7 4 3 0 0.571 188 280 2096 16 4 11 91From Elias:

The Texans, who lost to the Colts, 30-17, on Monday night, are the first team since the 1989 Cowboys to allow at least 24 points in each of their first seven games of a season. That team finished with a 1-15 record, in what was the first year for Jerry, Jimmy and Troy in Dallas.
Can't remember exactly what the number was they kept throwing out last night... but it was something like 18TDs for opponents in 23 redzone trips. Historically awful.
I guess New England isn't for real either since they are allowing only 17 yards less a game?

On top of which let me add, don't you find it worse that Houston has faced #2 (Ind), #20 (Was), #4 (Dallas), #8 (Oakland), #3 (Giants), #12 (KC), #2 (IND) in terms of passing yards a game. The opponents have averaged 374.6 yards per game in passing.

Meanwhile NE has faced #11 (Cin), #15 (NYJ), #26 (Buf), #13 (Mia), #14 (Bal), #1 (SD), #18 (MIN). The opponents have averaged 347.9 yards a game.

So if NE faced the opponents that HOU faced, I am sure NE would be tied/worse than HOU

Users who are viewing this thread