What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How About A Perfect Super Bowl Game (1 Viewer)

lexus

Footballguy
Wouldn't it be nice (and extremely rare) if there were no injuries to or mistakes by either team or the refs (except blatantly obvious penalties) - what a great game it "might" turn out to be then. I can't recall ever seeing such a game as I've just described, but then the better team/players/coaches would have prevailed.

So can any of you veterans out there recall a "perfect Super Bowl", or a Conference Playoff game, or any significant tilt that you would classify as a fair evaluation of talent/coaching?

Wouldn't it be nice (and extremely rare) if there were no injuries to or mistakes by either team or the refs (except blatantly obvious penalties) - what a great game it "might" turn out to be then. I can't recall ever seeing such a game as I've just described, but then the better team/players/coaches would have prevailed.

So can any of you veterans out there recall a "perfect Super Bowl", or a Conference Playoff game, or any significant tilt that you would classify as a fair evaluation of talent/coaching?
Rams vs. Titans.. I don't recall major injuries or blown calls that people thought changed the game. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think there have been plenty of great Super Bowls in recent years (not sure what you're exactly seeking with "perfect"):PIT-ARI

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

Before that it seems we had many years of lopsided contests through the 80s and 90s and a few good ones in the 70s.

I think there have been plenty of great Super Bowls in recent years (not sure what you're exactly seeking with "perfect"):PIT-ARI

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

Before that it seems we had many years of lopsided contests through the 80s and 90s and a few good ones in the 70s.
The best Super Bowl, IMO, is still Dallas vs Pittsburgh in 1978. Really the first Super Bowl I can remember watching. I remember it so clearly because it was such a great game.

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my topic. Most of the Super Bowls you listed fall under the subject of enjoyable to watch due to the excitement a number of plays generated, but I don't believe that they were clean of injuries, significant turnovers, semi-blown calls by refs and/or coaches, and similar events - which while part of the game as we know it today - would/could be classified as "mistakes or abnormal outcome influencing plays". Even the year that the Dolphins won the title and were undefeated, there was the infamous Gary "The Tiemaker" Yepremian attempted imitation of Bob Griese (I believe), which single-handedly cut the score in half and caused many Dolphin fans to hyperventilate.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my topic. Most of the Super Bowls you listed fall under the subject of enjoyable to watch due to the excitement a number of plays generated, but I don't believe that they were clean of injuries, significant turnovers, semi-blown calls by refs and/or coaches, and similar events - which while part of the game as we know it today - would/could be classified as "mistakes or abnormal outcome influencing plays". Even the year that the Dolphins won the title and were undefeated, there was the infamous Gary "The Tiemaker" Yepremian attempted imitation of Bob Griese (I believe), which single-handedly cut the score in half and caused many Dolphin fans to hyperventilate.
If that's your criterion for a "perfect" SB, I think you're going to be disappointed. You better play the SB on Madden if you want perfect. Players can easily be hurt in a bone-crunching game, coaches and referees will make bone-headed calls because their human and you're dealing with a spheroid that takes odd bounces. Given all that, we should consider ourselves fortunate that the last few SB's have been enjoyable and competitive. :goodposting:

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

You'll likely be disappointed then as it's nearly impossible for all of those factors to be eliminated. Life is not perfect, but you can enjoy it anyway.

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

I couldn't think of any major blunders in the other games (well, maybe that 99 yard TD INT in the last SB)... but that NE-Car game has a big one that sticks out in my memory. Carolina had just tied the game and there was less than 2 min to go and Kasay kicks the ball out of bounds giving NE the ball at the 40. Yea, Brady probably would've got them in range anyway w/ the time he had... but that play prettty much gave it to them on a silver platter.

NYG-NE

NE-PHI

NE-CAR

NE-StL

StL-TEN

DEN-GB

DAL-PIT

This just boggled my mind.So in a perfect game where there are 0 mistakes who would prevail? The defense or offense?

If the offense made no mistakes, would they be able to be stopped?

However if the defense made no mistakes, would the offense be able to do anything?

So would the perfect game ever end since it would always be 0-0?

Or would it be like 98-98 at the end of regulation and the team to win the coin toss for OT wins the game?

Anyways a perfect game is impossible. Since a game is usually decided by a mistake or two. One side of the game actually would have to be crap for the other side to be perfect. If Manning went 45-45 for 500 yards and 7 TDs, you would say that was a PERFECT OFFENSIVE GAME, however it means the defense had to make errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised this thread hasn't been overrun with Seahawks fans :ptts:

Sadly, Bengals-49ers II was marred right away by Krumrie's compound fracture :unsure:

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread