What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How could the NFL improve challenges/official reviews? (1 Viewer)

Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!
First and foremost, I think they should have a central HQ that does all reviews -- like the NHL. Have them, maybe a group of 3, do the reviews for all games. This would a) Remove the on site official's reluctance to reverse his own call, b)Remove the showmanship of the on site official, c) greatly improve the consistency of rule interpretation (possession when going to the ground in endzone).

Second, you should be able to review any call in any "game changing" play. Maybe, in addition to the regular challenge rules -- you get one "challenge of anything" without consequence. Facemask, holding, block in back, QB roughing, delay of game, pass interference, whatever. Hey, you want it right or you want it fast?

Third, overhead cams at the goal line.

I'm one of those people who tends to not really look at the person doing the posting when reading through threads.

That being said, I think you need your own forum to exclusively discuss replay/challenges.

Forget the peep show. When replay started it was done in the booth upstairs and the decision was called down much, much faster than it currently is.

Only overturn a play if it was 100% the incorrect call on the field. Enough of these close call overturns and looking for the slightest reason to overturn.

Forget the facemask, holding, roughing reviews mentioned in the OP. I'd rather they get rid of replay all together than start that level of nitpicking.

Use technology like tennis has to tell if the ball goes out. I read an article from 2007 that FIFA was looking at putting chips in the ball to help with calls, not sure what the result was.

Review every score and every turnover automatically. Period. No challenges. No time-out penalties. Nothing else.

Change the rule so that an inadvertant whistle does not kill a play until a fumble is recovered.

For the love of god use a bigger TV. Peeping into the stupid camera is way too small, and even in college where they do it up in the booth during that Oklahoma/Oregon game a few years where they badly blew those final two obvious calls the replay official admitted that he was watching the replays on a 7" screen.

These are billion dollar franchises here, and there's only 32 of them. They should each have several VERY large, high def TVs to watch these replays on because it's ridiculous that we can often see something painfully obvious to all of us here at home, yet somehow the replay official sees something completely different.

First and foremost, I think they should have a central HQ that does all reviews -- like the NHL. ...

Second, you should be able to review any call in any "game changing" play. ...

Third, overhead cams at the goal line.
Love the first and third. Uncertain about the second. I think review of anything including judgment calls might need to be held to a higher standard. Or at least held to the standard it is already supposed to be held to of being irrefutable. I.e. for pass interference to be negated, replay should pretty much have to show no contact happened at all, not just that it was questionable to call PI for the contact that happened.I'll add:

Recovering a fumble should be reviewable... i.e. player scoops up the ball, clearly gaining possession and then gets piled on and loses the ball under the pile. Should be reviewable to see if he had possession, as if he did he's immediately down by contact as soon as they pile on him. Currently isn't a reviewable play.

Users who are viewing this thread