What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does a RB/WR flex change your draft strategy (1 Viewer)

LC512

Footballguy
I play in a local league that's a mix of good and bad players. Up until last year we started 2RB and 3WR. For some reason, the league voted to change it to 2RB, 2WR, and 1 WR/RB flex.

The couple of people I've talked to are basically viewing the flex slot as a 3rd RB slot. I seem to always get an early draft spot, and have had very good success going RB/WR/WR (last year was LT, Smith, Owens, Chester Taylor) with those first three spots, then picking up my 2nd RB in the next couple of picks. These guys know just enough to be dangerous and seem to be big time on the "draft RBs early" train of thought. The value always seems to be in the tier 1 and 2 WRs early.

I realize that the value will be there at WR, QB, and even TE fairly early, especially from my early (#2) spot. I'd love to grab two stud WRs and lock those two positions down, then take a couple of mid-tier RBs later. My problem/concern is that by the time I'm picking again, I'll be left with the Brandon Jacksons and Lamont Jordans of the world. I'll have stud WRs, but I'll have serious, serious issues at RB, and since the flex spot is basically a 3rd RB spot, I'll be in trouble. In more than one spot (RB2, Flex1).

So I guess what I'm asking is:

- What is your general strategy in a 2WR, 2RB, 1 flex league?

- What are your experiences? I'm expecting a hard fast run on RBs. Is this what you've experienced in the past?

- Any other general info, since I've never played in this type of league before.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I tried to make it a general/strategy question rather than a "who should I draft at 2.9" type question. :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
It changes things, as it makes WR and RB directly comparable. Most think that you want to start a 3rd RB, in my experience, so it means they go sooner. Your league seems to be inclined to do this.

Therefore, I'd suggest making sure you get the 2 RB's you want early, and expect the run. Be prepared to take non-RB players as value goes, and realize that RB & WR can cover each other's byes given proper planning.

Unless there is some points per reception or some other nuance in the scoring to help WRs, I think you definetly want to have 3RBs starting. And therefore, I'd suggest getting 2 RB's early as well.

Unless there is some points per reception or some other nuance in the scoring to help WRs, I think you definetly want to have 3RBs starting. And therefore, I'd suggest getting 2 RB's early as well.
I play in a PPR league with the same requirements, and I got smoked last year trying to grab 2 "stud" WRs in round 2/3. Grabbed C Johnson and Boldin and had a headache every week due to the inconsistency. IMO you cannot build a team around WRs because they aren't guaranteed to touch the ball enough in a game. I've found much more success grabbing RBs early. Guys you know will touch the ball 20 times a game. Sure the consensus top 4-5 WRs seem to finish in the top 10 every year, but you can grab guys later that may end up in there as well (see Lee Evans, D Driver, etc).

Best player avail. We have 1/1 with 2 flex and the RB ho's (raising my hand) have had mixed results. It's no guarantee of success, believe me.

Try playin in a 12 team eague with 2RB, 3WR, 1 FLEX (RB/WR). It can get pretty crazy trying to come up with draft strategies for it.

DaTruth

Try playin in a 12 team eague with 2RB, 3WR, 1 FLEX (RB/WR). It can get pretty crazy trying to come up with draft strategies for it. DaTruth
Thats how our work league is setup. Its crazy fun in the beginning of the season, but it ends up being a waiver wire whore fest near the end.

I have an article coming out on exactly this point. In general, players in flex leagues over-value RBs, and WRs can be had more cheaply and more productively. 2RB/2WR/1Flex still places a high value on RBs, but you will be better off starting a good WR in the flex spot than a bad RB.

RBs in a given scoring tier are not more reliable than WRs in the same scoring tier; a WR who scores 150 points will be just as reliable as a RB who scores 150 points. So, once you've filled out the top two WR and RB spots, look for the best player available (highest point projections) rather than specifically looking for a third RB.

Generally you'll find it's easier to get high-scoring WRs than high-scoring RBs.

I have an article coming out on exactly this point. In general, players in flex leagues over-value RBs, and WRs can be had more cheaply and more productively. 2RB/2WR/1Flex still places a high value on RBs, but you will be better off starting a good WR in the flex spot than a bad RB.

RBs in a given scoring tier are not more reliable than WRs in the same scoring tier; a WR who scores 150 points will be just as reliable as a RB who scores 150 points. So, once you've filled out the top two WR and RB spots, look for the best player available (highest point projections) rather than specifically looking for a third RB.

Generally you'll find it's easier to get high-scoring WRs than high-scoring RBs.
just wondering when? on football guys?

That depends, I am drafting (slow draft) in my first ever flex league. 14 teams 1 RB 1 WR 3 flex.Pick 9 comes around and I am looking at Westbrook, cool.At 20 the following RB's were gone:LTAddiAlexanderL JohnsonParkerGoreWestbrookJohnsonHeneryBushBarberMaroneyBrownMJDMcGaheePortisSo I am looking at Benson, Peterson, or Edge.Or I can take Steve SmithThen goes: BensonPetersonEdgeJacobsJonesBrandon Jackson (????)CaddieSo a running back here is a dog. The thing is I only need to start one, why take a RB when there are much stronger WR's on the board?I missed TO by one pick (grrrrr) but give me TJ Housh over the 24th RB on the board all day long.MY next pick: I am choosing between R.Moss, Plaxico or Gates. The former two are gimpy, the latter is almost a lock for 1000 yards and 9 TD'sSo After 4 rounds I am looking at Westbrook, Smith, TJ and Gates. I may look weak at RB, but I only have to start one. Almost everyone else has 2 RB, some have 3 so I can wait for someone like Jamal or Taylor at great value while the rest are struggling to fill up on WR's. If you can get 2 solid RB's do so, but in a flex league don't take a second one because you feel you need to, take whatever value presents itself.

Yes, it should be going up as a guest submission within the next week or so.

about a week or so too late if you ask me.any other thoughts? It seems there's a mix between those who feel that adding a flex only adds to the value of RB's, while others feel that the ravenous RB consumption in these types of leagues only leads to difficult to pass up WR picks in the early rounds.

Can you get away with having MJD and Ahman Green as your 2 RB starters if you're also starting Steve Smith, Lee Evans, Reggie Brown, and Santonio Holmes (or something like that?)...that is, 2 subpar starting RB's, but 4 hardy receivers ? Or would such a move be suicide?

And what if you're in a PPR league? Would this change your strategy?

about a week or so too late if you ask me.any other thoughts? It seems there's a mix between those who feel that adding a flex only adds to the value of RB's, while others feel that the ravenous RB consumption in these types of leagues only leads to difficult to pass up WR picks in the early rounds.

Can you get away with having MJD and Ahman Green as your 2 RB starters if you're also starting Steve Smith, Lee Evans, Reggie Brown, and Santonio Holmes (or something like that?)...that is, 2 subpar starting RB's, but 4 hardy receivers ? Or would such a move be suicide?

I play in a 10-team league with these starting requirements with a standard scoring system (1 pt./10 yds. rushing or receiving), no PPR, and I usually go RB/RB/RB with pretty good success. Last year out of the #3 spot I picked Alexander (bust), but still came out OK by going Westbrook/Parker in rounds 2 and 3. I only drafted one WR who panned out (Driver) but picked up Colston, and ended up 2nd in the league in the regular season. I know DD is not the bible, but its rankings for my 2007 draft have 25 RB's ranked ahead of the first non-RB, Chad Johnson. Yes, according to DD, you should pick Marshawn Lynch before Chad Johnson, Peyton Manning, etc . I think that's a bit extreme, but you can see how much value running backs pick up under this format.

any other thoughts? It seems there's a mix between those who feel that adding a flex only adds to the value of RB's, while others feel that the ravenous RB consumption in these types of leagues only leads to difficult to pass up WR picks in the early rounds.Can you get away with having MJD and Ahman Green as your 2 RB starters if you're also starting Steve Smith, Lee Evans, Reggie Brown, and Santonio Holmes (or something like that?)...that is, 2 subpar starting RB's, but 4 hardy receivers ? Or would such a move be suicide?And what if you're in a PPR league? Would this change your strategy?
Top RBs score more than top WRs; last year, 9 RBs scored more than the top WR. But after you get into the meat of the WR pool, there's not a lot of difference between RB and WR scoring. You wouldn't want to pass up one of those top RBs for a WR, but similarly, you wouldn't want to pass up strong production at WR to take a marginal RB prospect. In PPR, the gap between the top RBs and WRs is less; only 5 RBs scored more than the top WR in PPR. So the positions become even more interchangeable. Having a requirement to start 2 RBs still makes them more valuable than WRs in the same scoring tier, but you shouldn't chase low-scoring RBs when high-scoring WRs are still on the board.

I am in a 12 team, ppr, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex league, and I had to draft from the 7 spot (this spot was much more difficult than I could have imagined).Anyway, my strategy was pretty much to grab two RB's with my first two picks, and a WR in the third (unless a stud RB not in RBBC was sitting there), and then just let the draft dictate who I grab.

So, I went RB at 1.07, then RB at 2.06. Every single pick in the first round was a RB. The 2nd Round did not go as I expected as 3 QB's were drafted, and 3 WR's were drafted along with 6 more RB's.

I grabbed a WR in Rd. 3 because I wanted to definitely get a Top 10 WR. I ended up following that up for the first time in my FF career with two more WR's (3 in a row between rounds 3-5, if you're counting) because that's where the value was.

Through 5 Rounds in a league that sounds similar to yours, I was at 2 RB's and 3 WR's. The three WR's, however, were all ranked in the Top 12 at the position in my rankings, and now I feel like I've got a great advantage over the other owners.

My advice would just to be flexible. Don't force yourself into any particular position. If your league is anything like mine was this year, though, the RB's are going to fly off the board early and often. Get yourself a couple and then pick them apart with value picks that fall to you.

You'll definitely want to land a top-20ish RB2 fairly early, because your league-mates seem as if they'll be picking RB's quickly. The strategy of whether to follow the herd depends on your league scoring rules. How do the projected points of the #25 RB compare to the #25 WR? If your league picks more RB's than usual because of the flex, there will be a wealth of available WR25-40 talent well below their ADP, which might represent solid value to a contrarian not following the RB herd...

Users who are viewing this thread