What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does your league operate? (1 Viewer)

24seven

Footballguy
For you guys that have a consolation ladder for the playoffs. Do you still allow those teams to have a place in the waivers? Those final four teams (week 16 title) are still competing for the money and title. The teams that are out of it obviously have a worse record and better waiver position. So my question is; Should they be allowed to have better waiver priority than those competing for the money? How does your league handle this? My thing is this. It's a small money league I joined last year cause they needed to fill a spot. I have played FF for 15 years now at much higher stakes and never once came across this. I brought it up on the message board and they basically think it is crazy because they don't want to finish last and are still competing? I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to pick up players and still compete but after those still in the money have had first shot at waivers. Am I crazy for that?

We pay out the "toilet bowl" winner a small amount, so I wouldn't fault anyone for grabbing a player if they needed them. We do have FAAB though, so.. spend wisely!

If it's a dynasty league you have to give everyone equal opportunity at the same players. Players picked up in the playoffs this year can become studs in future years. You can't give playoff teams an unfair advantage in obtaining those players. What you could do is allow playoff teams only to use the waiver wire, but at the end of the league championship game all rosters revert to the same rosters they had at the beginning of the playoffs.

Obviously this only applies to dynasty leagues. If it's a redraft league then what I said wouldn't apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably not what you're looking for, but playoff waivers should operate however a league wants them to operate.

I see the logic you espoused concerning giving the championship playoff teams first crack, but I don't think it's insane for people to think otherwise. Even if a small prize is on the line, teams should be allowed to go after it.

My favorite league runs concurrent total points and head-to-head competitions, and in this case, nothing changes in the fantasy postseason.

The bottom line to me is that I can understand your perspective, and you should advocate your stance to the league, but to me, postseason waivers is just like another dozen or two league operational aspects that can be handled in different/unusual/eccentric ways as each individual league sees fit.

:

If it's a dynasty league you have to give everyone equal opportunity at the same players. Players picked up in the playoffs this year can become studs in future years. You can't give playoff teams an unfair advantage in obtaining those players. What you could do is allow playoff teams only to use the waiver wire, but at the end of the league championship game all rosters revert to the same rosters they had at the beginning of the playoffs.Obviously this only applies to dynasty leagues. If it's a redraft league then what I said wouldn't apply.
:goodposting: That is what we do in our dynasty. Very fair.

The :toilet: bowl winner(We go with overall points in the toilet bowl so that all 6 teams have a chance) gets the #1 draft spot next year so everyone is in it to the end. :thumbup:

For you guys that have a consolation ladder for the playoffs. Do you still allow those teams to have a place in the waivers? Those final four teams (week 16 title) are still competing for the money and title. The teams that are out of it obviously have a worse record and better waiver position. So my question is; Should they be allowed to have better waiver priority than those competing for the money? How does your league handle this? My thing is this. It's a small money league I joined last year cause they needed to fill a spot. I have played FF for 15 years now at much higher stakes and never once came across this. I brought it up on the message board and they basically think it is crazy because they don't want to finish last and are still competing? I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to pick up players and still compete but after those still in the money have had first shot at waivers. Am I crazy for that?
I'd generally think you're a little crazy, yes.You're saying that you believe that waiver priority should be re-ordered during the playoffs, to the favor of players on one side of an arbitrary line you have decided is the class of players "competing for the money".

You're the new guy, too.

I don't do leagues where there are waivers in the playoffs. It's up to any league to do it as they see fit. Once they've jumped into the abyss (waivers in playoffs), almost any setup is going to seem unfair to somebody.

It is what it is.

The idea of tweaking the postseason waiver priority to move championship bracket teams ahead of consolation bracket teams is a novel one.

It really does come off as a rationalistic and selfish fairness-based beef.

All our non playoff teams compete for the waiver wire money generated throughout the season, so yes they should be allowed to perform waivers and the normal priority should hold.

You guys all have valid points. To clarify a few things, there is no money for points, there is no toilet bowl, the money goes to the winner and only the winner. It's not a "selfish beef" either. It is their league and they can run how they seem fit. I do disagree with it but feel it's their league and their rules. Although when those that didn't make the playoffs have priority over those that did, it just seems a little backwards. I was just curious as to how other FF leagues handle this as I have never come across it.

Although when those that didn't make the playoffs have priority over those that did, it just seems a little backwards.
So, if you feel that top teams should have waiver priority over bottom teams, how would you decide waiver order among the playoff bracket teams?

Top team gets top priority?

Users who are viewing this thread