What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long until wife responds? (1 Viewer)

bweiser

Footballguy
Emailed my wife today (separated for more than a year) to ask for her SS# since I am filing under 'Married, filing separately) for taxes.

We've exchanged 8 emails. Still no number.

O/U on how long this takes before I finally get it?

I guess it depends on why you're separated, but don't tell me because I'm not that interested.

FYI, married filing jointly is technically an ELECTION. You have every right to file separately on your own. No need to wait for a response unless you feel you have something to gain by waiting.

ETA: And if any screaming brats live with either of you, the custodial parent(s) should remember that head of household is an option while still married... so long as living apart the last 6 months of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, married filing jointly is technically an ELECTION. You have every right to file separately on your own. No need to wait for a response unless you feel you have something to gain by waiting.

ETA: And if any screaming brats live with either of you, the custodial parent(s) should remember that head of household is an option while still married... so long as living apart the last 6 months of the year.
i am filing separately, but all the forms say i need her SS#

Yes, it asks for it... should be able to get it off prior year's tax returns if you have them.

Emailed my wife today (separated for more than a year) to ask for her SS# since I am filing under 'Married, filing separately) for taxes.

We've exchanged 8 emails. Still no number.

O/U on how long this takes before I finally get it?
Does this filing benefit you or her? If it goes to court, it could be part of the judgment, so you both should be fair about your tax filing.

Why not call H&R Block or some other like agency with your question. I'm sure this isn't uncommon with separated couples.

Well I'll throw out an O/U date of March 1, 2014.

I'll take the over. I'm thinking Friday, April 11, 2014. Either that or you won't get it at all.

What are her responses in the 8 email exchange? You must have left her for being passive aggressive, she responds four times but doesn't answer the question?

You're never going to get it, leave it blank.
I think you can't file electronically unless you have the SSN for every person listed on your return.

If you can file individually, do so.

1040.com (not authoritative but I'm not doing more research) states "You can only file as single if you are unmarried or considered unmarried for the entire year. If you claim dependents as an exemption, you may be able to file as head of household, which usually results in a lower tax liability than filing as single."

you should also makes sure you have copies of your tax filings....

Users who are viewing this thread