What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long until (1 Viewer)

Guess it is best for them to start small but a little heavily situated in 1 part of the country which may hinder overall interest.

With Goodnaw not impressing me much now may be a good time for a sister league to spring up. If they get some talent and do a better job with the little side issues (hold the team ownership to the same standards it does players, creates a Pro Bowl in Hawaii, does not go overboard on creating or eliminating celebrations...) who knows.

They'd be smart to start working a FF angle right away, getting ticket holders to sign up for fantasy leagues at the same time. We all know there is nothing like FF to engender interest in players and teams across the NFL, and I think it'd be a great way for the UFL to get more people to pay real attention to them.

They'd be smart to start working a FF angle right away, getting ticket holders to sign up for fantasy leagues at the same time. We all know there is nothing like FF to engender interest in players and teams across the NFL, and I think it'd be a great way for the UFL to get more people to pay real attention to them.
Hard to work a FF angle when you do not have league rules or players to handicap. Even then trying to gauge the value between low tier D1 players and DII or DIII players (yeah I know it's no longer DI, DII & DIII - it's just simpler) to determine rankings would be a arduous process alone.

Hard to work a FF angle when you do not have league rules or players to handicap. Even then trying to gauge the value between low tier D1 players and DII or DIII players (yeah I know it's no longer DI, DII & DIII - it's just simpler) to determine rankings would be a arduous process alone.
Of course until there are players there can't be FF leagues. But at some point, when they can, an effort to get something going would be worth their while. And even if it's not actual leagues in year one, let's say some sort of rotisserie thing using accumulated stats, they could do something to get the attention of some of the millions of fantasy football fans. This would get people involved and familiar with the names of the players, people who otherwise would not not care. Then people start looking at the box scores, watching games to see how their fantasy players do, etc. I'm convinced fantasy football has had a huge impact on the popularity of the NFL. These guys in the UFL ought to really consider this.

Each UFL team sponsors an official format where each fantasy player that buys season tickets also gets the opportunity to play. The fantasy players gets the same draft picks and works with the same salary as the home team they are "adopting". At the end of the season the best fantasy player (meaning it is narrowed down to just 1) that does better than the home team (should not be a problem but if they are not good enough to have a better record than the real team then no prize) wins a box seat with some amenities for the next seasons home games (can't believe they will immediately sell out and will drive up ticket sales for a possible pay off.

SteevieG said:
http://www.ufl-football.com/home

New pro football league...

Or is the real question how long will it survive?
Wrong time of year for sure to carve out a niche...

Tough economy as well....

I'll be surprised if it makes it through 1 season.
Interesting choices for team locations, too. Absolutely nothing in the middle of the country.
Excellent point...Most are markets where there's a lot of competition for the entertainment $$.

They'd be better off in some smaller markets, especially (like you said) in the middle...

Just can't get behind this plan...

SteevieG said:
http://www.ufl-football.com/home

New pro football league...

Or is the real question how long will it survive?
Wrong time of year for sure to carve out a niche...

Tough economy as well....

I'll be surprised if it makes it through 1 season.
Interesting choices for team locations, too. Absolutely nothing in the middle of the country.
Excellent point...Most are markets where there's a lot of competition for the entertainment $$.

They'd be better off in some smaller markets, especially (like you said) in the middle...

Just can't get behind this plan...
UFL Mission Statement:

"To fulfill the unmet needs of football fans in major markets currently underserved by professional football by providing a high quality traditional football league comprised of world class professional football players. The UFL will serve the communities with pride, dedication and passion, and uphold a leadership role in the development of football worldwide. The UFL will provide every fan with an affordable, accessible, exciting and entertaining game experience."

When will UFL games be played?

The UFL will play in the fall, during traditional football season, to establish the league as a viable entity and will offer real, 11-on-11, outdoor professional football in NFL quality stadiums/venues. The UFL will play its regular season games on Thursday and Friday evenings in the fall, with the first regular season game kicking off in October and the Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.

Where will the UFL have teams?

In its "Premiere" season, the UFL will have four teams playing in seven cities. The four teams selected for 2009 are Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento.
They say they are targeting underserved markets, but two of the first four teams are in NFL cities?Also, not sure what four teams playing in seven cities means, either? Are teams splitting where their home is located or have they not selected the final four locations yet?

Users who are viewing this thread