What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOW MANY MORE YEARS WILL BRADY BE ELITE???? (1 Viewer)

HOW MANY MORE YEARS WILL BRADY BE ELITE????

Votes: 10 14.7%

Votes: 14 20.6%

Votes: 23 33.8%

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • 4+

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
Brady is one major injury or one more SB ring away from retiring, IMO. The issue for him will be if he doesn't get hurt and doesn't with the SB, then what? He may want to play longer than the Pats want to play him. 

If Brady were to go down for the season, he might lose his job if JG actually is a decent QB given the weapons they have. 

Lots of moving parts in this situation, so pretty hard to answer the question of the thread. 

He is going to do his best to set the nfl single season passing yard and touchdown records this year.  If he succeeds or even comes close, he will be one good year away from passing manning in career yards and touchdowns. The all time leader lists are currently

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brees 66,111

Brady 61,582

Manning 539

Favre 508

Brees 465

Brady 456

A season of 5477/55 (the current records, both held by manning) would put him a very achievable 4,880 yards and 28 touchdowns from passing manning in every category in 2018, and retiring before Jimmy g signs elsewhere.  Preferably with another ring or two.  If you look at the team's decisions this off season, I think they're looking at the same two year window. 

He is going to do his best to set the nfl single season passing yard and touchdown records this year.  If he succeeds or even comes close, he will be one good year away from passing manning in career yards and touchdowns. The all time leader lists are currently

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brees 66,111

Brady 61,582

Manning 539

Favre 508

Brees 465

Brady 456

A season of 5477/55 (the current records, both held by manning) would put him a very achievable 4,880 yards and 28 touchdowns from passing manning in every category in 2018, and retiring before Jimmy g signs elsewhere.  Preferably with another ring or two.  If you look at the team's decisions this off season, I think they're looking at the same two year window. 
Sure he might pass Manning but I doubt he finishes ahead of Brees (in yards at least).

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brees 66,111

Brady 61,582

Manning 539

Favre 508

Brees 465

Brady 456

Yeah brees is still playing and has almost a 5k cushion on him....i could see him just wanting to be confront of Peyton thougj

Manning 71,940

Favre 71,838

Brees 66,111

Brady 61,582

Manning 539

Favre 508

Brees 465

Brady 456

I doubt Brady cares at all where he falls on these lists. One more ring and I think he is done. He would much rather stay healthy and play a full season than pad his stats up by 30 points in the 4th quarter. The window may be two years, but I think if they win again this year, then he probably is done. It would make it much easier (and affordable) to move on to Jimmy G that way.

He strikes me as the type that when his ability or body keeps him from being elite, he won't continue on. He's just too much of a competitor to accept anything less from himself. He won't chase records, he's only chasing his personal demons to compete at the highest level possible. It's what made him who he is.

Having said that, nobody can honestly put a time frame on that. He's in better shape now than he was when he came into the league. Bet against him, I dare you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt Brady cares at all where he falls on these lists. One more ring and I think he is done. He would much rather stay healthy and play a full season than pad his stats up by 30 points in the 4th quarter. The window may be two years, but I think if they win again this year, then he probably is done. It would make it much easier (and affordable) to move on to Jimmy G that way.
There's really no point in arguing about whether he wants the records - he will either get them or not and will never admit he wanted them.  All of them say they don't care about records, and Brady says all the right things.  But Manning still sat down when he broke the still-just-two-year-old yardage record by one yard.

The Patriots let an 18 touchdown running back walk for peanuts and now they have four pass catching backs instead.  And they traded a first round pick for a wide receiver they didn't really need - when he only had two years left on his contract.

Call it whatever you want, Brady has a two year window.   Every piece of data this off season says two years.  That's why they rejected trade offers for Jimmy g - who they can really only control this year and next.  

There's really no point in arguing about whether he wants the records - he will either get them or not and will never admit he wanted them.  All of them say they don't care about records, and Brady says all the right things.  But Manning still sat down when he broke the still-just-two-year-old yardage record by one yard.

The Patriots let an 18 touchdown running back walk for peanuts and now they have four pass catching backs instead.  And they traded a first round pick for a wide receiver they didn't really need - when he only had two years left on his contract.

Call it whatever you want, Brady has a two year window.   Every piece of data this off season says two years.  That's why they rejected trade offers for Jimmy g - who they can really only control this year and next.  
I think 10 years later BB has learned that you need all your horses to win in the post season. I would expect that the offense will be at or near the top of the league, as will the defense. Combine those two, and NE could be up 3-4 scores in the second half some weeks. I don't see Brady running any slow in developing deep routes up 42-10. Sure, they have some pass catching backs . . . but they also do well running the ball. It would not surprise me if their game scoring total went something like 17-14-7-3 = 41 points or 13-10-7-3 = 33 points. That's pretty much how it went last year, and I don't see them stepping on the gas to tack on points like the old days. BB might even have Brady sit most of the 4th quarter against weaker teams (maybe even the entire second half against the Jets).

Looking back at the 2007 season, they went from winning by 4 scores early in the year to winning by about 10 points per game the middle of the year to barely winning games late in the year and then losing the SB. Brady's numbers usually drop the farther into the season, whether that be weather related, injury related, or trying to work on the running game for the playoffs.

There has been a lot of sports talk this week whether NE would give Brady 1 or 2 years max and then move on, whether that means Brady retires, is cut, or is traded. I think that it is hard to have that conversation now, so let's see how he does at 40 and how he holds up before we start talking about him at 41, 42, 43, etc.

He strikes me as the type that when his ability or body keeps him from being elite, he won't continue on. He's just too much of a competitor to accept anything less from himself. He won't chase records, he's only chasing his personal demons to compete at the highest level possible. It's what made him who he is.

Having said that, nobody can honestly put a time frame on that. He's in better shape now than he was when he came into the league. Bet against him, I dare you.
Good post...he is moving better now than he did at age 27...there are zero signs (outside of his age...which is obviously in a dicey area) that he is slowing down...none...the x-factor in all of this is (I believe) Giselle who appears antsy to have him to wrap it up...I could see him hanging it up if they win another title as I am sure the Brazilian icon will be all over him to do so...on the other-hand the guy is so freaking competitive I find it hard to believe he will walk away if he is still on top of his game...so what I am saying is no one has a clue as it could be 1 or 5 years but there can be zero debate that Brady has prepared his whole career to be able to sustain his greatness at an older age and the results are amazing... 

One other thing...I think the moves the Pats made have nothing to do with a Brady window...they were in a great position with the salary cap to make a bunch of moves and none of them was of the bring in the 32 year guy and win now variety...there were no contracts awarded that they will regret and most of the guys that they brought in are young and outside of Gilmore none had a big price-tag...

Dr. Octopus said:
and Brees is one year younger - although admittedly he looked closer to "done" than Brady did last year.
Call me crazy but barring major inj I think Brees, Rivers, Ben and Eli all hang it up before Brady.

Fantasy elite? I say 2 more years.

NFL elite, 4 more years. 

I'll vote when it's clarified whether or not we are talking fantasy vs NFL elite.

Bradybus the type of guy that even if his body starts to breakdown, he can still be an elite NFL QB - decision making, checkdown master while stats take a hit.

i can  easily see him conducting a dominant offense without putting up huge numbers the last couple years of his career.

To me it seems obvious and it may be to many others, I don't know but this guy just has that Michael Jordan drive in him. He will continue to be great for as long as he possibly can and the thing about him and his coaches and his team is he doesn't have to be worried that he is the type of player that loses one aspect of his game and then suddenly is just average. He's the type that simply adapts and reinvents himself and is then even more impressive. 

I remember saying in one of the NEW england LOVE/HATE threads last year that once he came back from suspension he was going to pillage the NFL and burn their villages to the ground and as obvious as that seemed to me, there were a lot of people saying even then that there was no way. That's probably the anti-Pats people talking (not sure) but I don't know how it couldn't be more obvious that it is just how he is hardwired. 

I think right now he is on a mission to get to the main records fred listed and to put the others so far out of reach that there is simply no doubt who the GOAT is. And the thing about it is he is in the perfect place with the perfect coach and team to achieve it. 

I think he will play 5 more years and he will be real life and fantasy relevant in all of them, barring injury.  

To me it seems obvious and it may be to many others, I don't know but this guy just has that Michael Jordan drive in him. He will continue to be great for as long as he possibly can and the thing about him and his coaches and his team is he doesn't have to be worried that he is the type of player that loses one aspect of his game and then suddenly is just average. He's the type that simply adapts and reinvents himself and is then even more impressive. 

I remember saying in one of the NEW england LOVE/HATE threads last year that once he came back from suspension he was going to pillage the NFL and burn their villages to the ground and as obvious as that seemed to me, there were a lot of people saying even then that there was no way. That's probably the anti-Pats people talking (not sure) but I don't know how it couldn't be more obvious that it is just how he is hardwired. 

I think right now he is on a mission to get to the main records fred listed and to put the others so far out of reach that there is simply no doubt who the GOAT is. And the thing about it is he is in the perfect place with the perfect coach and team to achieve it. 

I think he will play 5 more years and he will be real life and fantasy relevant in all of them, barring injury.  
I'm no Pats fan and I pretty much agree with this post.  Dude is on another level and barring a season ending injury that takes months to recover from, I think he keeps playing. Jerry Rice had it too and played effectively at age 40 iirc at a position that is so speed dependent.  Brady's skill is more mental mixed with some physical and he seems to be throwing just fine.  You haven't heard any murmurs about him losing umph on his throws.

I voted 1 year with the assumption that they win it all with 0 or 1 loss this season. Pats keeping JG when they could have gotten a first makes me think it has been discussed as a possibility that he will hang them up after this season. 

5. Plan is for him to only go for 40 and 4000 this year only playing the first half. JG will put up 25 and 2500 in mop up duty and the pats will trade him Beckham and a first that they'll parlay into another wstud wr like Julio.  Brady then posts three straight undefeated seasons with 60 and 6000. He dumps geiselle for a newer model and finishes up year 5 as player coach and then retires. 

5. Plan is for him to only go for 40 and 4000 this year only playing the first half. JG will put up 25 and 2500 in mop up duty and the pats will trade him Beckham and a first that they'll parlay into another wstud wr like Julio.  Brady then posts three straight undefeated seasons with 60 and 6000. He dumps geiselle for a newer model and finishes up year 5 as player coach and then retires. 
All makes sense. But Geiselle will still be hotter than the newer models, so he probably hangs on to her.

I dont think Brady retires if he wins #6 this year. But i see him playing for 3-4 more years. If he wins #6 in 2018 i think he would hang it up, but id love him to prove me wrong.

To answer the question tho, how many more years if he plays could he be elite, barring injury the next 3 for sure and probably the 2 after those.

13 more years. 

Dude's got some crazy Benjamin Buttons stuff going on.

Side effect of that pact he signed with Satan to get Bledsoe speared seconds later, thus clinching his "GOAT/Supermodel" lifestyle thing...man. I hope eternal damnation is worth it, Tom. 

We'll learn a lot about what Brady is thinking Week 17 against the hapless Jets.  Brady could easily pad his stats on them, but the game will likely also be meaningless.  I almost wonder if the league scheduled Brady's weakest opponent in week 17 just to mess with his record chase.

3 more years of elite QB play. He could stil be a better than average QB after that but he won't be a backup and he won't play for another team so he's done after 3 IMO. 

We'll learn a lot about what Brady is thinking Week 17 against the hapless Jets.  Brady could easily pad his stats on them, but the game will likely also be meaningless.  I almost wonder if the league scheduled Brady's weakest opponent in week 17 just to mess with his record chase.
I think we already know what Brady is thinking. During Brady's (then) record setting year (50 PTD, 2007), check out his stats vs. Manning (49 PTD, 2004) while "leading big" (ambiguous FBG splits nomenclature that I'm assuming means two scores):

Brady - 213 PA 20 PTD

Manning - 79 PA 9 PTD

week 17 Brady - 52 PA 2 PTD

week 17 Manning - 2 PA 0 PTD

Users who are viewing this thread